• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
You know where I'm going with this.

I spend 8 hours a day on a laptop for work, then four days week doing schoolwork for online college: yesterday I had a 2000 word essay due that took me 6 hours due to not having time to research this week due to a sick kid and work anxiety. My gaming laptop is also my school laptop but not my work laptop. I can't really stream from the laptop to a TV reliably btw.

I have a decent enough laptop but I've almost started to HATE sitting in front of a laptop when I don't have to.

Years ago this wasn't as much of an issue: I'd work 10 hours then come home and get on my PC and play Falllout 3 for a few hours or spend all weekend playing WoW. I can play console games no problem.

But now, it feels like I'm "wasting" my free time.

I may put my game/school laptop in another room. Maybe psychologically that will help because I'd like to try Lost Ark. And I know this will pass. Someday I'll return to an office, school will be over in a couple years.
I did that my office and game room I just have them up to two separate rooms now. One is my office that I don't go into really unless work. The game room is for whatever.

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
My last job started getting like this but then I left. In an effort to mitigate it I completely 100% cut off my personal PC from any work related stuff. Solved it for me!

Also happened with my personal phone. New job gives me a work phone so that has been a blessing

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
Yep - I can't do it these days. My PS5 is getting all the love

99POSs3.jpg

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I got a second desk to solve this. Expensive solution but it adds some separation between work and play.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I was like this way before the pandemic as an office worker. The absolute worst thing was sitting at a computer for 8 hours a day then going home and sitting at a different computer. I just couldn't do it anymore.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This was me but WFH didn't have anything to do with it. I played a ton of games on PC in college but when I got my grown up job and had to be on a computer for 8+ hours a day I did not want to come home and do more of that.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I wouldn't be able to do it if I only had one desk/pc/room for everything.

I have a separate office room that I only use for work. I'm there from 9am to 5pm then I leave and close the door. I also lift weights at 7:30am before work and do a half-hour walk every afternoon. I've basically recreated my "in office" routine, but without the commute and traffic.

I don't think it's good to spend the majority of your day in the same room at the same desk. Especially bad for those in small apartments where their desk is in their bedroom.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of the reasons why I've been hesitant to switch. At first it was the investment being too high especially considering I own all three current gen consoles but as I started working from home on my new desk I started to want to separate my tv and my computer as a relax station and a work station. I still want to eventually build an amazing PC but I'm afraid I'm going to want to use it less.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say I'm "not able" to PC game anymore, but I am definitely less motivated to play PC games because I already spend so much time in my office. I could bring my PC out to my main TV, and have from time to time, but I'm on a 3060 and a 6700K, so I'm definitely set up more for 1440p than 4k. Plus, it's just a big bulky device to have sitting out there. I've been tempted to just sell it and get the steam deck when my turn arrives. I do most of my gaming on console these days, but do have a fairly significant PC backlog that I should really work through before buying many more games for either console or PC.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Nope.

The PC I use for work isn't my *main* gaming PC but I have plenty of games installed on it and have no problem switching right over to them.

Mind you, my "big" gaming PC is hooked up to a TV so I guess it does feel different.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the day. I've always had a little trouble with PC gaming since I find it easier to get distracted with whatever else is online, but if it's been a super busy day, by the end of it I just want to walk away from my desk.

It helps to at least take a break after work. I've heard, too, that it can really help to have a separate space or separate computer for work only, but I know that's not doable for everyone :/

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
*Very* meticulous separation of work and play on my end. Also helps that I do most pc gaming from the living room couch.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, part of it is my aging PC, but the other is that there are too many distractions on PC. I need to have my chat clients up since stuff happens for work at off-hours, and also having stuff like Era and other apps up, I'd just rather play on a dedicated console. I've been half-considering getting a second PC just for gaming and hook it up to the TV I have my consoles on. Although everything sits here on or around the same desk, I think that might help me keep things discrete and distraction-free.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I work on Linux and game and do personal stuff on Windows. Also, home office vs living room.

The computer is the same, but the change of interface and environment are enough for the experience to feel different enough for my brain to clearly separate the two.

For the past couple months I've exclusively played on PC.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
Yep, that happened to me. Used to own a gaming laptop, sold it and now I play on Xbox. Can't stand sitting on my office after already sitting there for 8 hours.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I've never understood this take. Do people hate their jobs so much that merely sitting in the same space invokes negative feelings or something? I mostly play video games on my living room PC, but even when I'm playing something at the desk it's not an issue. I enjoy working at the desk and I enjoy playing video games at the desk.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
I have a second, smaller "work desk" that I spend my working hours in.

I've found my PC gaming time has only gone up since fully WFH, if only due to laziness. I'm already near my computer so I'll shamble over to that like a zombie and load up a game, rather than shamble all the way to the couch.

That, and, as of late there haven't been any console games that caught my eye. The TV has been 99% streaming services for over a year now, but that has more to do with me not really being interested in console games for that time more than being WFH.

May 25, 2019
London
I've never understood this take. Do people hate their jobs so much that merely sitting in the same space invokes negative feelings or something? I mostly play video games on my living room PC, but even when I'm playing something at the desk it's not an issue. I enjoy working at the desk and I enjoy playing video games at the desk.

It's more of a feeling that you've sat at the same spot for 75-80% of your day if you game at night after work. And many people will leave work papers, post-it notes, etc. on their desk, so you have little reminders of work that prevent you from disconnecting a bit and relaxing.

Zaku3

Banned
Mar 20, 2019
Don't have this problem. I guess if I had a bad day at work and am mentally exhausted yes. However I have an Aya Neo Next and a Steam deck.

OP
OP
Bengraven

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
This thread brought to you by the Coaliton of Console Gaming Corporations

There is not bias in the creation of this thread. This isn't me starting a console war. We use PCs for gaming and work and school. We use consoles for gaming. The conversation isn't even about consoles but how the similarities between work and pleasure can make us dislike the pleasure.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Yep, WFH absolutely killed it for me after March 2020. I was primarily a PC gamer for the 15 years prior to this, did have consoles but picked them up generally much later in the cycle and still played primarily on PC. My home PC can't be hooked up downstairs due to other considerations.

My home office was basically my gaming room however once they pandemic hit after an 8 hour day the last thing I want to do is spend more time at the same desk. I am permanently WFH so it isn't going to change now even post pandemic. In addition to this with hardware/GPU prices what they are I feel even less incentive to go back.

I have gone all in on the consoles downstairs now and absolutely love my PS5. Interested in Steam Deck to make use of my pretty large steam library but waiting for some significant improvements / a potential V2 to appear.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, I play my PC a little more because I'm already in the room where it happens and can prep during the day so the PC is updated and ready to go when I'm off. During slow times I'll play PC and essentially be on-call for work, too.

My PC is very old at this point and I've been debating whether to update it to a mid-tier. I'm done chasing the high-end as I spent a lot of money early last decade and barely touched the thing besides playing games that made the 360/PS3 cry and PC Exclusives. The increased usage has made me reconsider my initial position of just abandoning the platform.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I dont know why, but this isn't an issue for me. I literally game while Im working, especially with easily pickup stuff like Slay the Spire and whatnot.

A lot of classic wow these days. But no it doesn't bother me. If anything, with all the game time I get during my working hours, I tend to go out much more now on weekends and after work as a result I suppose. But thats because Ive played through the stuff on my backlog or whatever.

But working from home hasn't made me avoid the hobby in this way. I don't understand it.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have never, ever felt like this.

And yeah, I've been working from home for a few years now.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
Nah, the opposite happened to me. Once I went back to in-person (and my workload skyrocketed), I couldn't stand sitting through the longer boot-up and set-up process of PC compared to my consoles. I only have enough time to play for 15-20 mins at a time. PS5's rest mode and XSX|S' Quick Resume are a godsend for those month-long periods of churn.

I have my PC hooked up to both an ultrawide and an OLED in my living room, so I don't really get that trapped in an office feeling

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah I hate looking at laptops now. I had to get a laptop for work and its decent for gaming but I barely touch it off work and rather use my PC.

Currently investing in a way to separate work from my usual PC desk too. Working in my living space distracts me so much from getting work done. Thankfully I havent gotten to the point where I start to hate my gaming space due to work.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
100% which is why when I do game it is almost always on a console.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I only play games on a TV with a controller, so that's at least very separate from everything else. (Browsing the internet like now feels more work-adjacent.) I get it if you mean not wanting to be indoors and wanting to do something else besides playing games, though.

Jonscrambler

Nov 13, 2017
Torrance,CA
does "feeling like work" supposed to mean uncomfortable sitting in a chair lol, well why not do something about it? my office chair is more comfortable and relaxing than my couch

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
This is so strange to me when most of my pc gaming is using a controller and sit in a reclining chair

Yeah, Hell I have 3 monitors for my PC and a TV on the side with a console hooked up to it. There's 4 total screens in here.

But I don't have a crowded workspace with post it notes everywhere. I keep notes digitally so my space is clean and relaxed.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I spend about 90% of my awake time on PC with no issues lol, only play on consoles if they're exclusives

The secret is to get a very nice chair, mine is better than my couch

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
Yes, I slowly moved over to exclusive console gaming. Honestly, the play anywhere/gamepass has been a blessing in this sense. I've been able to pick up where I left off on my PC/Xbox most of the time and can switch back and forth, if I wanted.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
I've been feeling this myself, but it's also only happening because we're at that point in the console cycle where they're competitive with PC. For the last two generations once it's gotten to the mid/late part of the generation the downgrade on consoles was too much.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Pretty fast i got to that decision, simply because i was siting the whole day in front of a PC for Work, and then i just did not want to do it for gaming at home. And it made shutting off easiere, instead of thinking "i should look that up".

Starting University and the pandemic did only increased the feeling that i am not interested in a gaming pc.
(!= pc gaming, if i get a chance to have a solid mid level gaming pc i will probably take it (but mi budget and priorities are probably different than many people here, where 1000€ are "cheap")

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
Not for me.
However, my job has always invaded my own private time (I'm a professor, the separation between working hours and leisure time sucks since my Master's: experiments on weekends, deadlines at night or holidays, etc.), so when we moved to WFH it all felt similar.

I use both monitor and TV with my PC in the living room. Most of my gaming is on the monitor + desk because I prefer the ultrawide aspect ratio (21:9). Sometimes with an wireless Xbox controller, sometimes on mouse and keyboard.

Beanbeany

Apr 25, 2022
I thought I might have this issue so I got around it by buying another desk and working on hardware that isn't my gaming stuff.
It hasn't been an issue since my work and gaming setups are very different.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I was playing Slay the Spire during work today, then as soon as I logged off I booted up Elden Ring.

I just don't have this anathema some seem to experience with their PCs/laptops.

As a fellow gaming laptop user, have you hooking up an HDMI cord to the TV and grabbing a controller Bengraven?

Oct 29, 2017
I work on my laptop on my kitchen table, not an ounce of my work is brought to my gaming PC/desk. Fuck thatttt.

Keep it separated folks.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Why do you need to stream to a TV when you have a laptop? Connect to the TV directly?

It sounds like a psychological barrier for sure.