• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spanglo

Oct 29, 2017
The CGI is a little corny, but it's shot well, and audio mix is really good. Entertaining half way thru. Love the music too.

Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
Katherine Winnick, man...

Katheryn+Winnick+Comic+Con+David+Tennant+Katheryn+pB1GBiGsK3Pl.jpg

Jordanpeelesweating.gif

Glad to see her career doing great, because to me she'll always be the sister from Satan's Little Helper.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Man the writing is so bad.

"You will stop them"
"How?"
"By killing them."
"I'm not a killer, I'm a chef...!"

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The CGI is bad and part of me wishes it was simply a bad ass chef that doubled as a monk without all the paranormal shit.

But...I'm digging it.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The lead actor is so bad... Made all the worse when he's up against competent actors.

It is kind of an odd casting choice. Iko is known for his action roles. He can't really make use of his best skill against actors who need stunt doubles. So some of the fights end up as a cut up mess. There are some Ironfist s1 tier fights.

I think he's a producer on the show if that means anything. Heh

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The worst part about this was the faces thing which just ruins the flow of the action. Well, besides the acting.

OP
OP
Specific Power Ranger
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit I'm dying at this boss fight in episode 7
Kai just pulled an Arya stark
I thought the exact same thing when I saw it.

Saw a headline today saying this show is what Iron Fist could have been...
Kinda I guess. I mean they are both martial arts shows with mythical elements.

Got a recommendation from Netflix in my email

How is the fighting in this? Are we talking Stiffler as a monk? Or is Iko allowed to shine?
There are some really good fights in. Especially for a tv show I think.

Saw the trailer and groaned at the cheese.

You're not pulling our collective leg are you OP?
Naw. Give it a proper shot. Trailer put me off. The preview in the diner pulled me back in

The action is decent when its iko beating up on jobbers and they don't have to hide the use of stunt ppl. The fight between fire wu and iko was pretty funny cuz the stuntman didn't even seem to have the same haircut.

Also This diner scene in episode 7 😂. Had to throw in that
asians have small dicks joke by the racist Oregonians

Iko isn't a good actor but that girl who plays ying ying is even worse. 😬
That
T-shirt though. Don't mess with breakfast !
I want it.

The guy playing his friend is pretty great.

The CGI is a little corny, but it's shot well, and audio mix is really good. Entertaining half way thru. Love the music too.
Yeah. They made really good use of

The CGI is bad and part of me wishes it was simply a bad ass chef that doubled as a monk without all the paranormal shit.

But...I'm digging it.
I was thinking that at some point, but I can look past the iffy cgi and I dig supernatural elements so it's going to be interesting to see how they would build upon it if the show is successful.

Was interested until I saw the trailer...
Give it a shot. Trailer put me off a bit too. It rapidly gets better than how it starts too.

Last edited:

Miss Piggy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Finished two episodes and the action is good, but could have been a better grittier show without the cheesy childish magic stuff.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
It's like they've made the first 4 episodes as a demo sent to get Netflix on board, because after that the show takes a huge nosedive in quality.

Aiervon

Digital Strategist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Dallas
Wife and I sat down to watch this over the weekend and didn't get through the first episode. Acting is off the charts bad.

Oct 26, 2017
It is kind of an odd casting choice. Iko is known for his action roles. He can't really make use of his best skill against actors who need stunt doubles. So some of the fights end up as a cut up mess. There are some Ironfist s1 tier fights.

I think he's a producer on the show if that means anything. Heh
It's a big time miscast for sure. Of all the roles you don't want to mess up it's the lead. If they could recast some of the worst actors then this show might be something worthwhile. But as it stands I'm constantly cringing at many of the line deliveries.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Lol Tommy prob thinking he's hallucinating in episode 9 when
hes on his deathbed and the water we shows up and starts making out with cig
😂

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Going from GLOW S3 to this caused such a whiplash. The difference in quality of writing, acting, directing & everything is huge. The exposition in the first episode right after the dude gets the magic monk powers was so laughably badly written. :S

I want to like this but I'm not sure if I can go on. The idea is a bit silly but I could roll with it if the execution was decent, but this just takes itself way too seriously and doesn't have the chops for it. Feel like this would work better if it was some Kung Fu Hustle/Shaolin Soccer type total over-the-top craziness instead of what it is.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love the Raid and seeing Iko trying act when he's not punching things is making me chuckle too hard.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Going from GLOW S3 to this caused such a whiplash. The difference in quality of writing, acting, directing & everything is huge. The exposition in the first episode right after the dude gets the magic monk powers was so laughably badly written. :S

I want to like this but I'm not sure if I can go on. The idea is a bit silly but I could roll with it if the execution was decent, but this just takes itself way too seriously and doesn't have the chops for it. Feel like this would work better if it was some Kung Fu Hustle/Shaolin Soccer type total over-the-top craziness instead of what it is.

Heh that's actually how some reviewers are describing it, Stephen Chow movies without the funny.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Just finished watching the show and it was okay. Too much shaky camera and cuts during action scenes. I'm not sure if I'm there for a season 2, but we'll see.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
Show got worse and worse. Wasted a great action star. Makes me wish they didn't cancel Badlands which was just mindless fun.

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
love my man Iko but just finished watching this and what a fucking shlog to get through. I get more entertainment watching a syfy show than this shit.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This was so awful that I tried to watch Into the Badlands instead. Into th Badlands was suprisingly decent on the other hand.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
About halfway through and I'm having a good time with it. While not always smooth the martial arts parts are at least fast (especially vs jobbers)

While the acting is stilted all of the main cast have enough charisma to the point that it's always watchable even if it occasionally feels like a Yakuza Sidequest where Kazama Kiyriu has been bought in to act as the lead of a TV show

Oct 30, 2017
Holy shit, that moment when the CGI kicks in during the pilot made me burst out laughing. I didn't watch any trailers or clips prior to it. So unexpected.

I don't know yet whether Iko is a great or bad choice for what they're going for here. He ain't no Jackie Chan or Jet Li when it comes to charisma, that's for sure.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
It's like they've made the first 4 episodes as a demo sent to get Netflix on board, because after that the show takes a huge nosedive in quality.

Yeah, like holy shit. I'm usually forgiving of properties like this, but I can't. I can't.

I agree with the others, someone *anyone* bring back Into the Badlands.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
lol this shit is terrible. Katherine Winnick eyefucking the dude while eating fries in the first episode, and then Iko primal roaring while chopping vegetables at the start of the second had me screaming. Iko's English is coming along pretty well, but it was not a good idea to have him deliver a whole 10 episode series' worth of shitty generic TV dialogue.

Do they ever let Dacascos go full Dacascos? Because I'd stick around for that, but otherwise I think I'm just going to scrub through the episodes until I find a fight scene.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
lol this shit is terrible. Katherine Winnick eyefucking the dude while eating fries in the first episode, and then Iko primal roaring while chopping vegetables at the start of the second had me screaming. Iko's English is coming along pretty well, but it was not a good idea to have him deliver a whole 10 episode series' worth of shitty generic TV dialogue.

Do they ever let Dacascos go full Dacascos? Because I'd stick around for that, but otherwise I think I'm just going to scrub through the episodes until I find a fight scene.

he's barely even in the show tbh

sophora

Oct 29, 2017
Finished it this week...that was a slog to finish.
It was really hard to continue after Uncle Six gets offed like that...his relationship with Kai actually made me want to watch the show

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Watched it with my girlfriend. Loved it! Until the crappy CGI with super cheesy magic story. The Hon Kong action style fighting and story otherwise was pretty good.
Might give it another chance but we are watching a lot of series right now.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I'm halfway through and i enjoy it. The story is cheesy as fuck, the acting range from good to very bad and the special effects are.... Well... They are what they are.

Honestly, on the acting part, they probably should have gone with Uwais as the monk persona and taken someone else to play the lead. It's kinda weird that the character suddenly become better at acting (although marginally) when going older and bald. It's a bit of a waste of Dacascos.

And the Ying Ying actress is terrible. And not in a good way.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
So I finished this yesterday. To be safe I will put my impressions in spoilers.

The show started pretty decent, nice Chinatown setting, several good fight scenes with Iko Uwais and Mark Dacascos, servicable B-movie plot (that kinda remined me of Iron Fist), likable cast. But then the second half of the season hit, with some Scottish dude as the main villain, a road trip through rural America and the martial arts action being almost completely replaced by magic mumbo jumbo for the rest of the season where the show lost itself in it's nonsensical plot.

How do you have access to Iko Uwais, his stunt team, Mark Dacascos and not have the show chock full of kick ass combat scenes? Do they think people tune in to see Iko's acting chops?

I was a fan of Dacascos in the 90s and early 00s, and watched nearly everything by Iko Uwais since Merantau but this show has been a big letdown for me.