• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you seen it yet?

• Yes

Votes: 126 61.2%
  • No

Votes: 55 26.7%
  • Plan on watching it for king kong

Votes: 25 12.1%

• Total voters

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Omg i kept thinking the same

i was just waiting for the moment that it's shown Denzel is the seriel killer. Honestly that would have made the movie better with the twists.

I also think i would have been more forgiving of this film's flaws if it was just shorter. It really had no business being 2 hrs long

I also was thinking this watching it.

Overall I've seen worse. This was very much a "January release" movie. Denzel is fun to watch and I did enjoy Leto but man Malek was absolutely miscast in this.

Reading the AV Club review did lead me to rent Memories of Murder by Bong Joon-ho so looking forward to checking that out.

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
There is absolutely no reason for him to get in that car. And when he's digging holes like an idiot, he's got his back turned to Leto with his gun easy to grab. What kind of cop is he?

Oct 27, 2017
This is a strictly mediocre movie in just about every respect. Denzel does alright, but he's a real pro. Otherwise, I can't think of a thing to recommend it.

Billing it as a "psychological thriller" makes little sense to me. It's more like a 30 min procedural drama, with some A-list casting, stretched to feature length.

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
Last night my wife and I saw it was available. We looked at each other, shrugged, and said what the hell, it's there. Basically it met our expectations. Not terrible by any means, but I've already forgotten it.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
While I'm sure Leto could indeed be the killer, movie would have been better if Leto was a crime buff who was starting to figure out Denzel was the original killer but then Malik killed Leto, Denzel helps him clean everything up then Malik realizes that Denzel is the killer but now he can't say anything. We find out Denzel actually shot that girl on purpose bc she survived.

That or Malik is the copycat killer and Leto was figuring it out

Anything other than what we got

I thought this was where it was going

w/r/t Denzel shooting the girl because she was still alive and made it. That would've made it really interesting, and ambiguous if it never showed the brand new red hair clip package

On that same note, did no one think it was fucking weird that, when Denzel left the hotel room, he had pictures and newspaper clippings of all of the girls who had died up. Basically the same shit that Leto had, but we're supposed to be suspicious of Leto but not Denzel?

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So quick question about this movie because it's driving me nuts and I must have missed something....

The peeping tom guy that they bring in for questioning? Deacon says a name to him and the guy trips out, and then we find out he killed himself the next day. I don't understand this at all, what the fuck was that about?

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
WB is lucky this went on HBO Max so more people watched it, cause this shit is a box office bomb waiting to happen. Maybe in the 90s it would have stood out, but not anymore.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
There is actually a broader social message thread that the movie almost starts pulling on involving police assumptions and the dangers it poses, the corrupt intent of the justice system to look out for one of their own, and a litany of other things involving cops and murder. And the movie legit goes out of its way to not touch a single one of these topics. It's almost noteworthy how it does this, which would be a commendable if it were in any way brave.

Watching this movie made me realize that a thriller that incorporates the modern social quagmire of cops would be a fascinating tale. Unfortunately this movie doesn't even attempt it.

Outside of that, the movie just doesn't have anything worthwhile, imo. Rami Malek was an odd fit. Leto nails creepy but when doesn't he. Denzel is just an institution of fine acting. His performance is the only real thing of worth in the entire movie. And even then, there are tons of Denzel Washington films out there that are better.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
WB is lucky this went on HBO Max so more people watched it, cause this shit is a box office bomb waiting to happen. Maybe in the 90s it would have stood out, but not anymore.

Ironically, the director of this movie actually wrote this movie originally in the 90s and when he pulled it out of the filing cabinet for his next project, decided to keep the setting and larger story intact.

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
Ironically, the director of this movie actually wrote this movie originally in the 90s and when he pulled it out of the filing cabinet for his next project, decided to keep the setting and larger story intact.

no joke other than the first scene when it said it took place in 1990 or whatever it took me like 45min to realize the whole move stayed there lol

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017

Lmao that's why I said 90s. The utter laziness to not update it is baffling, and I know the reason is advancement in crime tech would have made the movie less compelling, and the only question I have is how cause it wasn't compelling to begin with.

Draenoth

Dec 10, 2018
Watched this in the background while I worked today, and it was alright. As others have said, Leto plays "creepy Leto" well, Malik is miscast or not given enough development, and Denzel is solid as he always is (but not great). Overall it's a 5/10 movie, straight average/C score. Felt like a Law and Order: SVU episode stretched out to 2 hours.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Watched with my fiancé. I have to admit, I did not see that ending coming... I was shocked with mouth agape. I looked at my fiancé, my eyes wide in disbelief and she cooly glance back at me and said...
I knew he was going to wack him, he kept pushing his buttons.
I admit that I felt let down it didn't happen that way.

Last edited:

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
So I started last night before I went to bed... I'm not finished yet, but what the fuck is Malek attempting to act as. Dude sounds like he is talking with a mouth full of nuts, while acting like the serial killer, yet he's supposed to be the hot shot detective. I can't get over how bad he is in this.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Finished up. Movie was straight up bizarre and not in a good way. I watched a film where all 3 leads acted like serial killers.

Spine_Ripper

Oct 25, 2017
I started watching it a few days ago after having just finished The Wire for the first time. I stopped watching like 30+ minutes in. Thought maybe I needed a break after binging such a good show, but after reading this thread, no, it was just a bad movie lmao

Dec 13, 2018
I hated it, loved Denzel, did anyone else think the girls in denzel's room looked like they were sucking his toes or some weird shit when the scene started ?

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
turned it off after 30 minutes. it's no better then your average crime show procedural. in fact i would much rather catch an episode of csi wherever because at least it would have better pacing.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I liked it. I watched this with my dad, and Denzel says "the little things" and he says it's the name of the movie lol

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
It's one of those movies that you watch it once and that's it. Denzel is surely GOAT and Rami is one of my favs of recent times but i just can't enjoy his roles since Mr.Robot. It's like he was born just to play Elliot's role and that's it (or any other weirdo role) Definitely not cut out for a cop/detective role.
And I went in without any expectation from Leto but he actually did great.

ZDKilljoy

Managing Editor at BunnyGaming
Verified
Oct 3, 2018
Malaysia
I thought the first 2/3rds of the movie was fine. And I get what they were going for but the ending just doesn't work at all.

The whole movie just boiled down to denzel teaching remi a lesson coz his truck was getting towed away for double parking. Since remi is the new hotness in the department (and who took his old spot) he decides to be a petty dick about it.

I laughed out loud when that song started playing when the movie ended. It just sounded so awkwardly uplifting.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
turned it off after 30 minutes. it's no better then your average crime show procedural. in fact i would much rather catch an episode of csi wherever because at least it would have better pacing.
lol yeah as someone who has been watching the "Chicago _____" universe of shows, I'd rather that than The Little Things any day. Denzel and Rami were just phoning it in completely.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
This movie was so bad. I don't even know where to start.

I guess Malik just was not the right choice for this role whatsoever.
The setting in the '90s was laughable. I know it was written in '93 or whatever but c'mon lol
And that last act. Malik just became a complete dumbass.

I not-recommended it to my dad. But he watched it anyway. He ended up liking it but he digs any kind of detective stuff. He did mention a bunch of issues with continuity tho which I also noticed. I can look past that mostly, it's the script that was ass mainly.