• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you waiting for Next Gen to play current gen games on the new systems?

• Yes

Votes: 108 31.5%
  • No

Votes: 173 50.4%
  • Depends on possible upgrades

Votes: 62 18.1%

• Total voters

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
So with release of the new consoles getting closer and closer, and a massive backlog of PS4 titles, I've decided to wait and play/get certain titles only on the PS5. For games already released I'm not expecting huge upgrades from PS4 Pro to PS5, but even the possibility of just quicker load times and the system running quieter is making me postpone titles like God of War (performance mode would be great if it sticks to 60fps) and Death Stranding.

Even games still releasing, like The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima, I'll probably be holding out on. Again, I'm not expecting major upgrades (akin to TLoU>TLoU:R), but I think there is a possibility that those games might release on a PS5 format disc alongside the launch of the PS5, data optimized for the new system, including latest patches, perhaps with some additional DLC for free. I'll be honest, it will be kinda sad not experiencing those games in the moment, but I hope the trade-off will be worth.

So are any of you holding out? Or making exceptions for certain titles? What are your expectations for these titles on Next Gen? Or would you rather play them now?

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't planning to but now Cyberpunk is towards the end of the year and there is a chance it may be delayed again, I will wait until next gen

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Tbh, the perspective of playing FF7R at 4k with locked framerate, Control at locked 30 (or even 60), or GoT at whatever framerate, is tempting. But if I want to play a game, I just play it.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Nope. I´m going to play TLOU2 and Tsushima on PS4 Pro and Cyberpunk, Dying Light 2 (?) and Biomutant (?) on PC.

Oct 26, 2017
I'll play TLOU 2 and GoT on PS4, i don't plan to buy PS5 anytime soon unless GoW II is coming in 2021.

For the rest? There's PC.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
No. Playing them now and will reply once patched for next gen

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Assuming that the Series X & PS5 come out in November at some point I'm definitely going to hold off on playing Cyberpunk until they're out. Ghost of Tsushima is a possibility that I'll decide on when it comes out. As for TLoU 2, not a chance I'm not playing that on day one!

Those aside there's not much left I'm bothered about on this generation so not really any desire to hold off on any odds and ends I may see for sale over the next 6 months.

OP
OP
NewDust

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I'll play TLOU 2 and GoT on PS4, i don't plan to buy PS5 anytime soon unless GoW II is coming in 2021.

For the rest? There's PC.
That's fair. I admit I am assuming everyone is pining as much for the new systems as I do, which is obviously not the case.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Don't see a point for me.

I'll upgrade eventually. But it's not a big need. the games I do want though I rather just play and save that console money on a big PC upgrade

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah for PS5 stuff.

I've gave my parents my PS4 so they have access to streaming stuff and my father wanted to get into games again after a long long time (he currently beat God of War :D). So I've missed out on FF7 and probably will on the TLOU2. I could get another PS4 but with BC confirmed I might as well wait and see how the new console is.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Well, I think playng games on launch day is a huge mistake - the amount of games that need patching etc in the first few weeks is high. Playing Witcher 3 at launch compared to the finishedversion 2 months later was a mustake.

As a result, i usualy wait awhile for things i want to play so it makes no difference to me - im just enjoying cathing up with games i missed on game pass.

I'll get a series x around launch as i have game pass until mid 2022 and Cyberpunk when it comes out there. I'll probably get Watch Dogs Legion and the new assassins creed there as well as any good third parties
I'll get a PS5 probablya year or so after launch for Lous2 and ghosts and Sony exclusives

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
I've been holding off on RDR2, but now that it'll be on GamePass I think I'll finally bite. Has Rockstar ever put out performance/resolution upgrade? They probably won't for this one. Game's almost 2 years old already.

Ghost will definitely be played on my PS4 Pro. Been waiting too long.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Not really, I need TLOU2 right away, GoT maybe. Cyberpunk I probably will play on PS5 if at all because it'll take a while to go down in price, so might as well take next-gen improvements as a nice side effect of being frugal/cheap.

I might finally play my copy of Ass Creed Unity if it automatically runs better on PS5/gets a patch. Fucking Jaguar 🤨

Oct 27, 2017
Why would I wait. I have the systems now, I can play the games now. PS5 and XBOX series X better have NEW games to play when they launch, because if I have to play previous generation games on them it won't be a very good sign.

Deleted member 54170

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 25, 2019
I voted for "Depends on possible upgrades" but it also depends on the availability of the new consoles and if they are silent. If the PS5 is as loud as a PS4 or PS4Pro I will wait for the slim version and will play Ghost of Tsushima on my pro.

Edit: I am currently playing Assassins Creed Odyssey and I would really like to play that on a new console. The loading times are horrible

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Not me. Seems too early to be waiting since I don't even know the release date or prices yet. PS5 might be expensive as hell and that'll stop me getting it at launch. So don't currently see the point in not picking up new releases. If PS5 is lined up for launch at a price I'd be happy to grab it for, that's when I'd consider holding off on new launches.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I am not buying any more games until I know the plan.

I want to play Hard Mode for FFVIIR on the PS5 through BC or a re-release.

After FFVIIR I have nothing on my Radar for the rest of the year. Its the only title I was hyped for. Nothing else has me hyped.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Assuming they do actually release this Fall, I will hold on CP2077 to play it on PS5.
TLOUS and Tsushima are too soon to wait, this year has been shit full of spoilers.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
Most of recent releases probably wont get ps5 patches day1. (If at all) so im not waiting.

If they get substantial enhancements, then i might replay some of them, depending on what the launch window looks like on ps5

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I am torn on whether to play Ghost of Tsushima when it comes out, or as a PS5 launch title. I guess it will depend on what info about PS5 BC or improvements are detailed until then, and how many other games have been delayed by the time Tsushima is out...

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
Depends I guess. I'll be playing Last of Us 2 day one unless there's major performance issues.

On the other hand, I've been holding out playing Control until I get a GPU cable of raytracing.

RenorMirshann

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
Poland
Nah, these last PS4 exclusives will look fine and run fine on the console they're built for. No need for me to wait, there will be next-gen games for next-gen consoles I'd like to play. Also, who knows what will happen in a few months? I might be dead. And I don't want to think in my last moments "damn, should've played TLoU2 when I've had the chance". Yeah, I know I'm an optimist.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Unless Doom Eternal comes to gamepass I'm gonna wait until Series X

and why? Eternal runs flawless on Pro/X

on topic: no, i just play what i want now.
besides that, why waiting for something you might not even get your hands on if the quantity is limited anyways. i already foresee many people wanting a PS5 and not getting one, will they still be waiting to play games in this case?

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes. Waiting for PS5 to play FF7, GoT and Last of Us Part 2.

Waiting on XSX to play Cyberpunk, Watch Dogs Legion etc.. but those are releasing around same time anyway.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Not in a huge hurry to play TLoU2 or GoT, so I'll probably wait until I've got a PS5. I'm planning on buying one at launch, anyway.

Unless it turns out that there's negligible or no performance gain at all when played on the PS5.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I have a PC better than either console so no. Any exclusives I'll either play later in the gen if I get a PS5 or just skip them altogether since I sold my PS4 Pro and One X a few months ago

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Not consciously, but I have plenty to play right now that I'm perfectly happy to not think about buying any new AAA releases for a big chunk of time.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
nah, i'm too hyped for certain games to wait even just a couple of months to play them.

on nextgen i want to play nextgen games, not enhanced versions of old games.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I like replaying games I really like, so I wont mind playing exclusive titles on PS4.
For 3rd party stuff, PC as usual

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
I was going to buy on PS4, but so far of the ones I had an eye on (TLOU2, Cyberpunk), TLOU2 has underwhelmed me for many showings now and Cyberpunk is coming out too close to next gen so they made it easier for me to wait.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
If The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima run terribly on a base PS4 then I don't mind waiting, not really in a rush to play them.
Everything else that isn't exclusive I can just play on PC.

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Nope playing TLOU2 on my Pro the day it releases.

No way I can avoid spoilers until the PS5 releases, I'm sure I'll be playing it through again on PS5 anyway.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who have base PS4, yes? Playing 900p/1080p games on my 4k tvs is not really good experience (actually a lot of games look worse than on my older 1080p tv). My last new game purchase was Nioh 2, and that one ran at 720p ugh.
Recently platinumed RE7 and loading times were so damn long.
Upgrading to PS4 PRO is pointless now imo.
Feels like forever waiting for these next-gen systems...

Last edited:

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Really depends on game and if there is problems as is on ps4.
I will certainly revisit Until Dawn with Ps5.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I'm saving the remainder of AC Odyssey/Origins for PS5.

The loading times are dogshit and I have weird loading glitches at random.

I'll wait for some decent hardware, thank you very much.