• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
I have been looking for a new game to play during the pandemic and I am taking a look at SWTOR. It's been out for years and it's received several add ons so whatever I knew of the game surely is out of date.

Does it matter which class you choose or are all classes equally viable? Is there parity between Republic/ Sith factions? And is there anything that would be helpful to know starting out?

Thanks for your input!

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Both factions have the same classes mechanic-wise but with different aesthetics to fit the fantasy, and each class have a complete unique storyline for levels 1-50.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
The Big Deal with SWTOR is, for most people, the storyline that each class has. Each is unique, and most are pretty highly-regarded (I seem to recall Imperial Agent being especially lauded.) The updates have made it so it's totally viable to just play through the single-player story for free.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I played at launch and a year or so after. The stories are actually great. Each character has a unique one too. Space stuff was on rails last time I played, sadly. The worlds were nice. I kinda wanna play again now you've mentioned it lol.
I'd say it's worth a go, for sure.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Not at the moment I it has a special place in my heart and will return some day, it's still a great MMO with an great art style and good voice acting. It does deserve a texture overhaul though, especially for the character clothing.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I play it and love it. They rejigged it a while ago to make it much easier to play solo if you want and it's great because there's a lot of story. The 8 classes each have a unique story for lvl 1-50 with a story for each planet 1-50 that's unique to each faction (so one for Republic and one for Empire) Then there's the expansion's which have even more story content, though it's no longer one for every class, some of the expansions it's the same for everyone, some it's different depending on faction. If you subscribe once you unlock for your account all content including expansions that have been released until that point. Personally my fav story is the Sith Warrior and Imperial Agent.

Not at the moment I it has a special place in my heart and will return some day, it's still a great MMO with an great art style and good voice acting. It does deserve a texture overhaul though, especially for the character clothing.

It's coming up to 10th Anniversary this year and while they haven't yet revealed what they are planning for it, I really hope it's a graphics update. I like the cartoony art style but there's some stuff especially the older clothing that really needs improved.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I played over the summer and I enjoyed my sith inquisitor playthrough. In a lot of ways it's a very rote mmorpg experience, but if you are wanting that kind thing, then it's solid.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Definitely one of the better F2P MMOs out there now, though you wanna sub once for many QoL stuff and extra content.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Download it free from steam, play the opening two planets as part of the prologue, if you enjoy it sub for a month and you will have access to all the expansions forever regardless if your sub lapses in the future.

Imperial Agent is a great story, Jedi Knight is basically KOTOR 3. The other stories range from great (Inquisitor, Warrior, Trooper), Average (Smuggler, Bounty Hunter) to bad (Consular).

General guide is to do purple colour missions. These signify story missions or significant planet missions/arcs. They have a good tutorial in place now so you should be fine and although it is an MMO, absolute majority of people play it as a single player game for the story and the multiplayer flash points/operations/PVP as optional extras. If you are playing through all the content on just one character I would expect you will be entertained for over 80-90 hours on just story content by now.

Last edited:

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if you want the closest to a KOTOR 3 experience, play Jedi Knight, it's story makes the most sense for later expansions where the story is streamlined and class/faction doesn't matter.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
The best thing about Swtor is that you don't need to play it as a MMO, you can just play it as a typical bioware RPG just fine.

OP
OP
Officer Big Mac
Oct 28, 2017
Download it free from steam, play the opening two planets as part of the prologue, if you enjoy it sub for a month and you will have access to all the expansions forever regardless if your sub lapses in the future.

Imperial Agent is a great story, Jedi Knight is basically KOTOR 3. The other stories range from great (Inquisitor, Warrior, Trooper), Average (Smuggler, Bounty Hunter) to bad (Consular).

General guide is to do purple colour missions. These signify story missions or significant planet missions/arcs. They have a good tutorial in place now so you should be fine and although it is an MMO, absolute majority of people play it as a single player game for the story and the multiplayer flash points/operations/PVP as optional extras. If you are playing through all the content on just one character I would expect you will be entertained for over 80-90 hours on just story content by now.

well that's unfortunate because I started a Sage. So far it's all been generic fetch missions but I'll see where things go at level 10.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
I checked it out for the first time since it launched about half a year ago or so, it's decent. Doesn't really do dungeons super well IMO nor Raids but what is there Story Wise was always pretty good. The gameplay though was pretty lacking compared to other MMO's on the current market.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played a lot about a year ago before falling out of it. I finally got all of the class stories done.

Still need to play the expansions though.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
Yes and I still enjoy it a lot,
from my standpoint all classes are viable and fun, but a more hardcore "nim raider" or "ranked pvp" person might disagree....

anyways, it's free to play the 8 class stories, and totally viable, also you can get a taste of pvp (warzones) and group pve from it,
also keep in mind, in SWTOR expansions are all "free", so if you subscribe for 1 month ($15) your account will have unlocked all the game content, and outside of ranked pvp and operations (raids) you can still play it all when your sub runs out.
it's 100% worth to sub for at least 1 month if you are going to play this, it's a lot of content, and really cheap by MMORPG standards.

Never understood why they didn't port to consoles.

too much work, the game runs in a weird outdated engine, but with the new consoles being a lot more powerful, perhaps it's a more realistically possibility now?
the game was added to steam only last year, and I heard talk of updates to the renderer for 2021 (game still runs on DX9)... who knows...

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Shame they will shut this game down in a couple years but atleast I can always play kotor 1and 2 on disc.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Wait has this been stated or rumored anywhere at all?
No that person is talking out of their ass. They confirmed recently that the launch on steam last year was a massive success and every time their is a Star Wars show or movie release the interest in the game surges as it did with Mando season 2 and with all the new Star Wars content on the horizon...

I mean they only recently launched quite a significant story update that closes out quite a few plot lines and is arguably the best story since vanilla. They have also confirmed that they are working on an expac for the 10 year anniversary which they stated to be a significant expac. The game is still profitable and I doubt we would see the effort being put in currently if it goes away in 2 years.

Oct 31, 2017
No that person is talking out of their ass. They confirmed recently that the launch on steam last year was a massive success and every time their is a Star Wars show or movie release the interest in the game surges as it did with Mando season 2 and with all the new Star Wars content on the horizon...

I mean they only recently launched quite a significant story update that closes out quite a few plot lines and is arguably the best story since vanilla. They have also confirmed that they are working on an expac for the 10 year anniversary which they stated to be a significant expac. The game is still profitable and I doubt we would see the effort being put in currently if it goes away in 2 years.
Gotcha, was a little bit hopeful they would be moving on from it. If only that it opens up the space for a new canon MMO that I can put sometime into. Even if that is a fools dream, with MMOs being so hard to justify these days.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Probably my most played game of all time.

I haven't played in a couple years, but there's a lot to enjoy.

The 2 factions have parity across the classes (jedi knight = sith warrior, for example) and every class has a unique story to level 50.

Can totally single player it too

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing it right now just started a few weeks ago. Class story wise I've only gone entirely through Jedi Knight so far but all of them seem to be excellent. I just finished Knights of the Fallen Empire expansion which was absolute trash for a few different reasons (story, encounter design, chapter format). Hopefully Knights of the Eternal Throne is a bit better but it still has the awful plotline hanging over it.

The HeroEngine the game uses doesn't have console support.
ESO uses a modified Hero Engine and it's on console. I guess it is heavily modified.

Last edited:

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017

It's an online game you are kidding yourself if you think EA will keep the servers online for a small population in a few years

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Started playing for the first time last year after it came to Steam and played through the Imperial Agent class story which I really enjoyed. Currently taking a break from it, but looking forward to trying out one of the Republic class stories at some point this year, and the expansions after that.
Been a good time overall, and definitely scratches a bit of that 'Bioware' itch with the storytelling style of voiced protagonists and dialog wheels.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's an online game you are kidding yourself if you think EA will keep the servers online for a small population in a few years
But that's exactly what they have been doing for a long time. SWTOR only has 5 global servers, 2 for NA and 3 for Europe. What kept SWTOR alive for years now were the MTX from the cartel market.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
I was really into it before they did all those companion updates. They just utterly destroyed the gameplay for me. Before, companions were just there to take some hits, add some DPS, heal you up a bit, etc. They were just there for flavor really. Your build was what got you through the content. NPCs are completely OP now. They can solo the game for you. I know most people don't care, since people just want to explore the story... but this was so disappointing for me.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
But they have been doing this, arguably since it came out even. Like it didn't have the best launch, in fact it was pretty bad enough that it had to go F2P pretty early on!

But by all accounts the game's a silent profitable success for EA nowadays. It's not one of the big MMOs but it's a MMO that's in the black as far as everybody can tell unless one falls for the 11th prediction that SWTOR's getting cancelled this year that will surely come true like the last 10 times that was rumoured.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Really - I'd never heard this. Did this come about after release or was this always the case?

At launch it was still VERY good, but you had to do so many trash (Kill x mob, get x item) quests that it wasn't great.

Then they made it so the main planet and class quests were all you needed to level/get equipment/etc, and it became FANTASTIC, since those are the only quests that really matter.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It is an online only game but it is not like Destiny or other online titles, it is an MMO with active monthly subs that help pay for the servers and live team and MTX help fund expacs and profit. It has been going well for quite a while and in the recent two years has even re-earned a spot in the investor callings for the amount of revenue it is making currently.

Obviously the servers are online and will shut off at one stage. However with them in active development of the next expac and EA even apparently offering to expand the team at BioWare Austin for SWTOR recently it is extremely doubtful that they would be entering MMO "maintenance mode" (ceasing live content updates) yet alone turning off the servers for at least 3-4 years (especially now that the Star Wars High Republic and Acolyte TV show will possibly touch on this kind of era).

Crooked Eye

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 26, 2017
Started playing last week and it's been great so far. I was after an MMO in a Sci-fi setting instead of fantasy so it's worked out well, plus it provides me with my Star Wars fix too.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Came back to this game last week after 8 years since playing it.

I'm doing the Bounty Hunter quest line. Very well done and can be played without paying anything which is always a bonus.

Zexen

Oct 27, 2017
I usually go back to it every 2 or 3 years, to play the new storyline.

I have a big itch these times, the last one I finished was the Eternal Throne, didn't touched Onslaught yet.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I played it pretty far at launch and retried to getting back into it two or three times when it was F2P. What always gets in the way of my enjoyment is the boring MMORPG gameplay. The areas are too big and combat isn't much fun. That's why I never finished any of the story-lines I started.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
The best thing about SWTOR is thar it sells thr class fantasies really well, which is why people return to it often.

Watched episode 9? You can make a jedi knight or a palpatine in SWTOR and enjoy a suiting story for them.

Watched the mandalorian? You can make a bounty hunter in SWTOR and enjoy a suiting story for them.

Same goes for sith warrior, trooper, scoundrel, jedi sage, imperial agent. Great story in a star wars setting with gameplay that really sells the class fantasy.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I really hope they tool up the graphics and add console support for the 10th anniversary.

I loved KOTOR but never played TOR, and totally would do the campaigns if they made it accessible on my TV.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
Would you all recommend this mmo first or knights of the old republic first to a star wars fan who hasn't played either? Thanks.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
I played it for the first time last year. Only did the smuggler class which was very good.

I really don't like MMO gameplay, so that's really keeping me from doing the other class stories. I am going to do the Jedi Knight one though, that seems fun. I'll also sub for a month.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Would you all recommend this mmo first or knights of the old republic first to a star wars fan who hasn't played either? Thanks.
Prob recommend Knights of the Old Republic first just because there's some story beats for the first game that would be spoiled if you play the MMO first and it's really good going in blind for KOTOR. You don't need to play KOTOR for SWTOR to work as they picked a canon for those games as it's an MMO and they explain what's going on pretty well anyway - SWTOR does take place 300 years after KOTOR anyway but if you don't want KOTOR spoiled play it first.

Maxlar

Sep 27, 2019
Played it when it launched for quite abit, had a break and have had 1 or 2 goes at it since then. Installed it this last weekend again, wanted to check on it since it came to steam. Seems to have had a real upswing from what i was exptecting! Started playing a bounty hunter and am liking the story so far.
Have completed Jedi Knight story from before, and that one was also good. Was not a fan of the parts i tried of the knights of the fallen empire story.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I tried to get into because I liked the story/quests but the gameplay and world/level design feels so archaic and MMO-formulaic with all the legwork through oversized buildings and too few things to explore.

It's great to have an MMO like that, as it is the only one that exists, doing what SWTOR does.

But I don't think I can bear the gameplay. Would 100% play it if the gameplay was more like Mass Effect.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
the gameplay is based on the classic tab targeting and abilities with cooldowns and some energy management, but I think it gets very interesting and fun once you are max level, it feels very satisfying to me to more or less master the classes/specs, it can become very complex, fast paced with lots of abilities activations, specially on the classes with basically no channeling, you don't get a lot of time to rest.

Wait has this been stated or rumored anywhere at all?

none at all, just people saying that since 2012...
some people started with it again because of the EA exclusive rights over star wars games ending in a couple of years,
but really, that doesn't mean EA is not working on star wars games after that, and also, swtor is so old that it was made before this deal was even in place.

SWTOR seems to have plenty of subscribers and people buying the mtx currency, and they run with a fairly small team, I think they could go on like this for a long time, if they were not making any money EA would have it shutdown years ago... and the game seems a lot healthier now than it was a few years ago,

it is also basically the only active star wars "legends" thing AFAIK, maybe Disney wouldn't want that to stay on the long run, but who knows..