• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My friend did for a week and caught COVID and has been sick for nearly a month, it's not worth it hearing the stuff he's going through.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I drove by my gym last week to scope it out. Looked like 15 people inside, none wearing masks.

I'm not risking it until I'm fully vaccinated.

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Here in Montreal, everything's been closed for months now.
Gyms were reopened briefly, but closed again soon after.
I have my own adjustable weights (cheap amazon ones) and a foldable bench. Also, I use a pull up bar, elastics, DDR, jumping rope, etc.
I manage to maintain, but I can't gain muscle mass with this setup.
It's okay though. Everyone's doing their best to stay safe and keep others safe.

HotStunt

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about getting a membership soon, though I live in Australia so not really a huge risk.

Ajax125

Nov 15, 2017
I miss it, but I can wait until we're out of a pandemic before I start going back. Until then, weights at home it is.

Feb 26, 2019
I bought a squat rack and stuck it in my garage. It's fucking cold out but I actually feel cool as shit working out with heavy sweats and a skully. Feel a bit like Rocky lmao

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Doesn't feel safe yet personally, though I'm in NYC which isn't in as dire a position as the rest of the U.S. I think once my parents get their vaccines I feel a little better about going to a gym.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
I kept going until end of September of last year. Then the government (Sweden) specifically started talking about avoiding gyms. I don't care if I get sick (not going to gym has been more detrimental to my health than anything COVID could ever do), but I get a bad conscience going when you're not supposed to.

I've been debating whether I should go back, even asking the therapist I was seeing to give me a "moral OK" (which she did).

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I tried, realized it was a terrible idea and haven't been back yet. Not a crowded gym and everyone wipes equipment down but I still didn't feel safe. Not worth it

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No, and as far I'm concerned, if you go, you're an asshole who doesn't give a shit about other people's lives.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
The kind of people that frequent my gym are the ones that are most likely anti maskers/vaccers so even though I'm getting weaker and fatter every day no my ego thankfully isn't stronger than my will to live. It's push-ups, pull-ups from here on out

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
I missed it. It became such a great part of my daily routine but with it gone I've been coasting by with home workouts.

As I always have that fear of going back to 250 pounds. Since the gym I've been around the 170 mark (3+ years of work)

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Nope, I bought a Peloton in November and have just been doing that. Not worth the risk to go to a gym.

Same here (although I got a peloton-compatible bike). I went to check out my gym once over the summer, and numerous people on cardio machines were wearing their mask under their chin. I nope'd out of there in like five minutes, just not worth it in a pandemic.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
People keep pulling their masks down or downright taking them off, so no.

I worked at a gym (that I finally quit) where masks weren't enforced as we were short-staffed, but required upon entry. People keep taking them off.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I am planning to head back first week of Feb. I am fortunate enough to have my second booster today, so by then I should be good to go as long I protect myself.

Its going to be a killer after a year off.

Oct 27, 2017
Every gym in the SF area is tiny, poorly ventilated, and generally kinda gross even in "before" times.

There is no way I'm stepping in a gym before I get a vaccine.

Stove

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's selfish and irresponsible of you if you're in a heavily affected area.. Which is the entirety of certain Countries.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
It's the height of a pandemic. No.
This.

Damn people just invest in workout equipment at home. And if the funds aren't there, I can give plenty of at home/no-equipment workout suggestions.

I mounted my mountain bicycle on an indoor trainer and have been able to do all sorts of workouts on it in the comfort of my own home.

I would not recommend working out with a mask or in the same room with strangers sweating and breathing hard in the same enclosed space.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
It's the worst day of the pandemic, with 4,000 dying a day and more than 400,000 dead in the US.

Why is now a better time? I'm using my Ring Fit.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
No, and as far I'm concerned, if you go, you're an asshole who doesn't give a shit about other people's lives.

Harsh but I can't disagree.

A coworker of mine went back to the gym last month and got covid. The irony (I guess?) is he's a hypochondriac and has always been super careful about germs and staying safe through the pandemic aside from this bone-headed move.

GambitPool

Nov 27, 2020
Thankfully my apartment has a gym almost no one uses. Usually get lots of alone time. And I wipe everything down with disinfectant wipes before I use the equipment.

Oct 25, 2017
I go infrequently due to my schedule, but I've found my local gyms to be very precautious and taking zero risks. Locally we have a 12ft minimum distance in place between using equipment which helps a lot.

Jul 26, 2018
Honestly i've been thinking about getting a new membership for a big gym near me (EOS).

I was supposed to sign up for my new gym since last January hahahaha. Was about to in March until the lockdowns started. The rest of 2020, i've basically jogged outside weekly, and do my football (soccer) workouts in my local park by myself.

But the fact that I haven't lifted weights for a year is starting to bother me now. But I still feel great though... somedays my legs just feels a bit weak. And I can't invest in equipment's simply because I have no room in my house. So yea...I my go back. But just like jogging and going to the park weekly, I will always keep distance away from others.

RusselUp

Oct 31, 2017
Haven't gone back either on my end. Instead, I invested in adjustable dumbbells and a bench (cost a lot & was like trying to buy one of the next-gen consoles but worth it) + trying to go on quiet hikes or runs when I can.

Nov 17, 2017
I did for a little bit back in the Fall. I'd only go at like 5AM to avoid people but it was surprising how many other people felt that. By 6AM, there'd be 15-20 people in the gym with more coming in, which is when I'd leave.

I stopped going because even if I was safe doing so, my anxiety would not let me relax. I'd always think I was potentially exposed.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
My apartment complex has a brand new 24-hour fitness center. I use it at night when no one is there.

HylianMaster2020

alt account
Banned
Jun 30, 2020
Nobody can get into the gyms around me there's so much traffic, so I would delay going from a traditional gym, if I do go it has to be a good situation.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
Still working out via VR and it's going to stay that way for the foreseeable future.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Been going since August with no problems. Wash your hands, don't touch your face, wear a mask, wipe things down etc...

flex

Feb 23, 2019
Been going since they re-opened in NYC. Capacity limits, masks at all times, wipe down equipment with antibacterial wipes before and after use. Contact tracing hasn't shown any outbreaks that tie back to gyms in NYC.

Reel Big Fish

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2020
I have a power rack, Olympic bar and weights, dumb bells, jumpbox, rower, ab wheel and ring fit. Will never go to the gym again.

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I can't imagine many better environments for spreading Covid than a gym so no, my membership got cancelled and I won't be back for a loooong time.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Honestly i've been thinking about getting a new membership for a big gym near me (EOS).

I was supposed to sign up for my new gym since last January hahahaha. Was about to in March until the lockdowns started. The rest of 2020, i've basically jogged outside weekly, and do my football (soccer) workouts in my local park by myself.

But the fact that I haven't lifted weights for a year is starting to bother me now. But I still feel great though... somedays my legs just feels a bit weak. And I can't invest in equipment's simply because I have no room in my house. So yea...I my go back. But just like jogging and going to the park weekly, I will always keep distance away from others.
How much room do you need? You can do Bulgarian split squats and goblet squats with very little room. You can do plenty with a bench and dumbbells, and you could put the bench away between workouts. If that's an unwanted expense or space requirement, get a pullup bar for your door frame. They're not that expensive. I wouldn't chance one of those myself, but I guess it works for some people.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Middle of a pandemic with a second strain that so far everything says it is more transmissible. Why the fuck would I go to a gym, I'm not crazy.

I bought weights, RingFit and now I do my exercises at home. I only need to find a place to put some bars and I'm set.