• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was 17, working at McDonalds, it was maybe a week before I started college.I was on break at the time the 1st plane hit, was in my car and turned on Howard Stern. They were talking about an attack at the WTC, but for some reason I assumed it was a rerun, and they were talking about the 93 bombing. When I went back in, everyone was freaking out. Customers were screaming. Went to the break room and turned on the news just after the 2nd plane hit.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I was at school and I just remember we were in class when a teacher came into the room, talked with our teacher and then announced that the US was attacked or something like that. I just remember it felt surreal and I just didn't believe it to be possible

Oh yes I remember the teacher turning on a TV for the whole classroom to watch

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was in 1st grade, like my first week or so. For reference, I lived in NJ ~20 mins away from GWB. So seeing this happen literally right across the river from my dad's work was completely insane. I remember my school not letting us out for safety reasons. Coming home and seeing it on TV was a wreck.
Exact same situation except I was in 3rd grade. I remember my teacher getting the news, then being very solemn while they tried to keep us calm saying the day will be cut short and our parents were coming to get us. I didn't know what happened until my mom picked me up and told me, she was shook because she saw the plane fly over her head while she was driving to work... by the time we got home the towers had yet to fall and I saw that happen in real time through the news. It was horrible.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was in college and working full time, and was still asleep since I'd worked late the night before. My younger brother was in a vocational program in high school where he got up early and did construction / carpentry work, then came home for a couple hours before going to regular classes. He was driving home when the first plane hit and woke me up a few minutes before the second one. Spent all day watching it, then drove to my evening class; for some reason seeing all the people lining up to buy gas sticks out the most from that drive.

Got to class and the professor said the class was cancelled but he was going to donate blood and give anyone who wanted to come along a ride home and dinner. I had a van at the time so I was able to shuttle a bunch of people around, dropped everyone off back at campus and went home to talk to friends online about it.

SonofDonCD

Oct 26, 2017
I was a senior at Wagner College on Staten Island, NY, right across the river from lower Manhattan. Wagner is on Grymes Hill, which is a really high hill on the north shore of the borough. From my dorm room (Harbor View it's called, which is 14 stories tall) you can see into Brooklyn and lower Manhattan.

I woke up at 7 am, though my classes didn't start until 11:30. My nose was stuffy, so I couldn't go back to sleep. I got up and started browsing the internet. My neighbor was blasting the radio at the time the first plane hit, though I couldn't hear what it was saying. I ignored it, figuring if it was important enough I would find out what it was later. My roommate's girlfriend called him and told him to turn on the news. We did and saw the first plane had hit.

Our room faced the campus, but if we went out into the 12th-floor lounge (we lived on the 12th floor) we could see the view into Manhattan. We went and saw the smoke. Like everyone else, we thought it was an accident. We went back into our room and kept the news on in the background. Then the second plane hit. At that point, we knew it wasn't an accident. We weren't watching at that very moment, but once we saw it, went back into the lounge, only to see even MORE smoke. I immediately thought that I was in a tall building, so I had to get out of there.

Once I reached ground level, I started talking to a friend, and I could've SWORN that I felt the ground shake a little.

I went to the Hawk's Nest, the diner on campus, where they had a TV at that time. Before I reach there, my roommate's girlfriend was at the front desk working. She told me the first building fell. That put that ground shake feeling I felt in perspective.

Once the second building fell, they canceled classes for the rest of the day and the rest of the week. I chose to stay on campus, though I lived less than a mile away and could've gone home. I called my father, who worked at Newark Airport. I couldn't get through to him, as the phone lines were entirely jammed. The internet was also jammed and I couldn't go to any news sites that I tried. I am very fortunate that I didn't know anyone directly that died in those buildings.

The whole day felt like a movie. It did not feel real. I've been to so many memorials since I live so close to Manhattan. Such a crazy time to be around NYC.

Oh and BTW, my roommate had to go to class before it all went down, and it was a drawing class. The teacher took the class to the 10th floor of my dorm, and HAD EVERYONE DRAW THE TWIN TOWERS!!! Once the buildings fell, they packed up and left. CRAZY!

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Woke up in the morning. Turned on CBC News as usual. Saw that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Centre. Someone had caught their parachute on the Statue of Liberty in the past few weeks, so I thought it was an accident, but it was still odd. Called my mom, talked to her about it for a few minutes, saw the second plane crash into the second tower, said "this is intentional", hung up, and followed it in-depth on the net on on TV. Heard about the Pentagon, woke up my brother, my sister, and my sister's runaway friend about an attack on America. Went to work, because I had to. Got sent home from work early afternoon.

That night was the first night I had never seen jet planes flying high in the sky over my house.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I was living in Kansas at the time and i was too young to really understand what was going on. But I remembered my dad being glued to the TV the whole day.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
I've probably answered this question in a post here before, but like all of you, I'll always remember where I was and it bares repeating.

I was 16. Junior year. My friends and I started filming for a student film that morning before the first plane hit. It's eerie because that footage is of the clear blue morning sky with the 9.11.2001 time stamp on it. I still have the footage on an old tape. We finished filming and got to school with TVs already on in most classrooms. I watched the second plane hit live while sitting in my Trigonometry class. We all freaked out. A few kinds started crying. The rest of the day was spent watching TV in every class while hearing crazy rumor after crazy rumor about places more planes hit.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
On the west coast getting ready for High School when the first plane hit. Still went to class, but pretty much the whole day was just watching the news during classes.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Sleeping.
I was a senior in high school but our school was under construction so we were delayed a couple weeks (MN, we start after Labor Day normally, so this was even later).

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
I was asleep in my apartment (lived by myself) in a different city/state than where i live now. I leave my tv on all night (helps me sleep) and i was groggy but i remember all these news stories and alerts and Matt Lauer talking in a concerned voice.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Exact same situation except I was in 3rd grade. I remember my teacher getting the news, then being very solemn while they tried to keep us calm saying the day will be cut short and our parents were coming to get us. I didn't know what happened until my mom picked me up and told me, she was shook because she saw the plane fly over her head while she was driving to work... by the time we got home the towers had yet to fall and I saw that happen in real time through the news. It was horrible.
That's crazy. I always feel like I had a memory of a plane flying low that day, but I'm not sure. Where did you live at the time? My father worked in scrap metal, so when 9/11 was done he was one of the companies that went over to ground zero to buy the scrap metal. He took two pieces of ground zero home, still have it.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I was in 4th grade, they told us nothing. Only knew something happened because one kid was at the dentist office when it happened and saw it on TV.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Was too young to process it. I remember being at home, dad was glued to the TV. I kept bugging him to log me into Infantry Online when that was still a thing, but he was so fixated on the TV.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I had the day off from work, and my wife had late grad school classes that day. She was pregnant with our first child, who was due in two weeks. It was the day we were getting our DISH installed. The installer showed up and immediately asked if we'd heard what happened to one of the towers. This was followed by both a friend calling to tell us, and the in-laws. The installer literally got everything live and turned it to CNN 10 seconds before the second plane hit live on camera. It was surreal. For a moment, we all thought it was a replay of the initial plane hitting.

The shock of it all sent my wife into labor two weeks early. Our oldest son's 19th birthday is tomorrow.

Oct 25, 2017
10th grade in canada. My parents were in Florida on vacation witha flight home that day so they had to spend an extra week basically locked down in a hotel until they could get home.

we were a newer school and had (tube) TVs in all our classrooms so we just sat and watched news coverage every class that day. Teachers talked very gravely about the ramifications Americans will likely face and hoped there wouldn't be an Immediate war. Shit was fucked.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
I was in my sophomore political science class, the principal came in and told our teacher. Our teacher just told us that we needed to watch the news when we got home. But our World Civ teacher had the news on later that day so everyone knew eventually at school.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
I was heading to class in an above ground subway train that happened to have a panoramic view of downtown Manhattan.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was coming back from giving my sister a ride to her job when the first plane hit. I was watching CNN when the second plane hit.

BFIB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was 21, working as a bank teller. We had to arrive early to count the deposits from the night before, so I had to be in at 6:30 CST. We had no idea what was going on, normally when we open, we would have a large line as we were a big bank in a popular area, but there was no line. Shortly after, a man came in wearing a Vietnam Veterans jacket, I go through my normal routine of "hey, how's it going", the small talk. He tells me after I give him his cash "Thanks son, at least that little bit of normalcy helped."

I'm thinking the guy is nuts, then a few minutes later, someone calls and tells us to get the news on. We had an old TV that I pulled out and turned on, right as the first tower was falling. It was surreal, I thought a movie was on or something, until I switched channels and then realized "oh shit....this is really happening."

Of course my mom calls asking if I'm ok, and about 10 minutes after they sent us home. I got home just in time to see the other tower fall, then pretty much sat glued to the TV like everyone else.

I think the part that gets me is that short time of a few hours, everyone was saying "I heard this is now under attack" or "They're headed to this place next!" I mean, it truly felt like we had no idea what could happen at any time.

Dreenk

Oct 27, 2017
I was just out of high school, and was sleeping in that morning before work or class later that day, I forget which. A friend called and woke me up, asking if I wanted to go to the mall with them, and I said I wouldn't have time. Before they hung up, they asked if I saw that the Pentgaon had exploded to which I wondered groggily, "huh?" Needless to say, I spent the rest of the day staring at the news on every channel. I think I still have a VHS tape with hours' worth of newscasts recorded from that day.

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
I was 17. It was my freshman year of college. I woke up, checked a message board that I used to frequent, and saw that a plane had hit the WTC. I don't remember whether the second plane had hit yet or whether either of the towers had fallen at that time, but I hadn't seen any pictures or video, so the severity of it didn't really sink in. It wasn't until I got to my comp sci class and the professor came in ranting, "How do they expect us to have class on a day like this?!" that I realized how big of a deal it was.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Getting ready to go to class, eating breakfast and watching whatever was on the TV (only had OTA channels) remember it coming on after the first hit and not really understanding what had happened. Then the second hit and just kind of being stunned. When the first tower fell I started to process what was happening. Ended up missing class and trying to call my Mom who lived in Connecticutt at the time making sure she didnt go to NYC that day. After getting ahold of her, having missed class, I got ready for work and went to work.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
I was playing pick up hockey (goalie) and a player skated over to me to tell me everyone was leaving because there were planes being crashed on purpose into things. Hopped in the locker room shower, drove the five minute drive home. My roommates were glued to the TV and yelling at me to come see the building falling down. Completely chilling.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I also put on Howard Stern a little after the second plane hit. That was a mistake.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
It was a school day. I planned on "Faking" being sick and staying home to play Resident Evil: Survivor on the PlayStation. My brother gave me a bunch of games he bought from Korea, while he was stationed there. None were legit copies, lol.

Anyways, I was listening to Howard Stern and that's how I found out. I don't know if you guys know, but that might be the most iconic episode of his career.

I didn't know how to react. Scared. I woke my mother up and she freaked out. Her immediate thought was we are at war and my brother is stationed in Colorado Springs (NORAD). She called him and woke him up, I think.

We were glued to the tv for days.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
I didn't know about it until I came home from school. I was in year 7 in the UK. It all went over my head to be quite honest. I knew people died but it didn't really impact me (which is ironic 'cause I only remember that memory because of its impact).

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I was at my aunts house, she was baby sitting me. I was watching her make breakfast as everything was happening on TV. Had ROTJ Luke Skywalker and Cantina Bith toys by my side.

SonofDonCD

Oct 26, 2017
Granted, no one at the time knew the story. We kinda had the feeling something was wrong, but when his class started, we all were still under the assumption that the first crash was an accident. He was drawing from some time after the first tower was hit, until after the second fell. I saw other people on my floor taking pictures of it. But again, we didn't know just what we were experiencing. We just knew it was history.

But still, that art teacher was messed up for that.

Aug 27, 2018
Sophomore year of high school, 2nd period CAD class. That's where I watched the second plane hit, and when I went and grabbed my girlfriend and told her we were leaving. I live in a military town and the school was close enough to the air force base for me to say fuck this I'm not sticking around here.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I was 21. I was asleep at the time, and my mom wakes me up and tells me what happened. Then I rolled over and went back to sleep because there's no way it wasn't a dream.

rycisko

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's crazy reading this thread and understanding how vivid some of your guys' memories are just like mine.

Freshman in high school, library, heard the announcement over the PA and to be honest just blanked on what "twin towers" were (which is how it was described over the PA). Soon as I went to next class our teacher put it on TV and everyone just watched silently. School and football class were cancelled shortly after that and we went to a buddies who lived closest to school and continued to watch news coverage on TV.

Thing I wont forget is when they cut to who knows where, and showed people celebrating what happened. Can honestly say it was the first time I felt like anger and responsibility for my country, which sounds weirder typing but I'm sure you get it. A bunch of my friends and classmates enlisted. I did not, my parents were pretty hard on Bush at the time, I'm sure that's the reason why can't even really remember much of my thought process.

Even more insane considering my views on the country now, which are laughable at best...But yeah, it was a crazy time. Hopefully won't live to see another one

QuantumDream

Oct 31, 2017
7th Grade Spanish class. I remember they announced a code color (I cannot remember the color) over the intercom system, the teacher pulling out a book to look at what the color meant and then turned on the TV. I sat quietly watching what was happening and was shocked that what was shown wasn't from a movie. A few minutes later my mom signed me out early.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
6th grade. Catholic School. We didn't go to recess that day. We had a prayer service at church.

I will never forget that day and the following week.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I was 10, playing Lunar 2 EBC on the PS1. For some reason i put on the tv channel for a couple of seconds, saw some smoke on a tall building, and just got back to the game.

Everyone was talking about it at the school some hours later, and i was like "That thing on tv was kind of a big deal after all".

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Found out because someone was telling people between my first and second class, when I went to my second class of the day they had the TV on so we watched what was going on.

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, it was my first year at the University of Maryland, waiting for, all classes coincidently enough, US History class, waiting for our 9AM class to begin, but the hallway getting all queued up with students and we started wondering why it was taking so long for the previous class to come out.

Then people started coming out; the faces of students crying, shocked, and disbelief. I went in and there was a tv at the front of the class turned to the news broadcasting the planes crashing. It was completely surreal and I had a hard time processing what I just saw.

My high school senior class trip gave us a chance to visit New York City just earlier that summer.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
9th grade English/Lit. class. We were headed to the computer lab to take a test when another teacher told ours that a plane had crashed in New York and that she should turn on the TV. So, she turned on CNN in the computer lab, just a few minutes before the second plane hit the WTC. At that point the tone shifted from "hey, look at this crazy accident" to something much more anxious.

After we heard about the Pentagon being hit also, I was focused on trying to remember if my mom had gone to D.C. (well, Langley) for work that morning like she had been doing fairly often up until then.

I think we got released early. I know we didn't actually do anything else in school that day.

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I was living with my parents and I was asleep.

My mom woke me up to tell me a plane crashed into the WTC and I fell back asleep thinking it was just a freak accident.

I woke up just before the second jet hit. I spent most of the rest of the day crying.

Jul 18, 2018
7th Grade, the teacher put on the TV and we all witnessed the planes hit the buildings. The principal called the teachers and then came on the intercom to address the situation. It was up to each teacher to decide whether to air it or turn the tv off, ours kept it on. Which turned out to be a mistake because the terrorist stuff started to run on the news and being on of the few brown people at the time... was very unsettling