• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

Honestly what the hell was this? The company seems to have moved on to misleading "holograms" for business instead I guess.

Was this all some weird useless sham? Were they just a startup aiming to get some billionaire with no technical knowledge to give them cash?

Seems like it worked since they are still apparently being funded in Silicon Valley

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I mean this one does make sense though. It just needs better headsets and a better interface. Then I can see most data visualization going this way in the future since humans naturally perceive things better in real scale.

The right interface for this would be to just have infinite virtual desktop space, and have contextual data visualization as needed that sits outside of the virtual screens, able to be viewed by anyone in the virtual space.

Oct 25, 2017
Yea I remember this video OP.

You just need the hardware that can churn it out.
vc9kn1w_d.jpg

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean this one does make sense though. It just needs better headsets and a better interface. Then I can see most data visualization going this way in the future since humans naturally perceive things better in real scale.

The right interface for this would be to just have infinite virtual desktop space, and have contextual data visualization as needed that sits outside of the virtual screens, able to be viewed by anyone in the virtual space.
This... actually could be really helpful.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
May 9, 2018

I really can't see the connection between the thread topic and your post.

In response to a (likely) sham video you post stuff about a legit VR use case?
It's more or less highlighting another example of cool-looking technology that the primary advantage is that it looks cool, rather than more functional (there are some valid applications for 3D data visualizations vs. 2D data visualizations; these aren't it). Business stakeholders like it when things look cool.

JPLC

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Quick Google search makes it look like they've spun off into 2 main businesses: "Holographics" and "Vault". The "Vault" stuff seems to be the point cloud tech they were known for.

Euclideon Holographics YouTube channel:

Euclideon Vault YouTube channel:

Their site:
www.euclideon.com

Euclideon Pty Ltd Home | euclideonptyltd

Finally! All your 3D data unlocked for free Visualise, analyse, present and share massive 3D geospatial data with unlimited detail.Euclideon is a cutting-edge 3D data technology company with an enviable pedigree in digital transformation in 3D data consolidation, streaming and sharing. Euclideon...

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
It's more or less highlighting another example of cool-looking technology that the primary advantage is that it looks cool, rather than more functional (there are some valid applications for 3D data visualizations vs. 2D data visualizations; these aren't it). Business stakeholders like it when things look cool.
There's a difference between an interface that allows for this in a very convenient way and something that is made mostly to look cool.

When many people are working in virtual workspaces in 10+ years, this becomes basically second nature. Right now, yeah, it's very hard to imagine people putting on a headset just for the sake of visualizing some graphs better, but when that headset is being worn many hours a day, it becomes easy to add in an extra little thing.

It's kind of the nature of spatial computing as it exists today. Very few people really find themselves using it because the interface has a long way to go and wearing bulky, usually wired, headsets is not recommended for doing work. Eventually, it could be extremely common.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
From what I've seen in discussion back then, it's some voxel tech that's useless for games because it cannot deal with stuff like rotations. It can effectively do a ton of copy-paste but it cannot modify the paste in any way.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
yes the guy's voice still bothers me...
Too bad there's no good practical use for this technology... I don't believe it's fake... I believe it's useless

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I believe Dreams is doing a pseudo voxel type of technology that allows them for high frequency of detail with cheap performance.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
These guys went on to use their tech for like, geo-scaping technology for the military. Wasn't a good fit for games I guess or they found a more lucrative business venture?

I actually think about this tech often. It wasn't fake and truth be told their demos don't have any LOD-pop-in with a ton of geometry. I feel like it could have a use in games for static environments or something. But there's definitely some catch given they never really went public with their tech.