• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
RP was (i think) popular back in the 90's and had you basically log in to AOL chat rooms
and people would introduced themselves in role playing character manner : (example:)

*walks in* his glowing cape flows from the north wind - his silver hair as long as his waist line
a magic sword can be seen attached..... (end of example)

I was to young to RP - but I thought it was the coolest thing ever .... LOL

people would chat and sometimes fight like (example:) * PUNCHES HIM in the face with the strength of a thousand lions*

LOL

I hope someone know what I'm talking about XD

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
RP was (i think) popular back in the 90's and had you basically log in to AOL chat rooms
and people would introduced themselves in role playing character manner : (example:)

*walks in* his glowing cape flows from the north wind - his silver hair as long as his waist line
a magic sword can be seen attached..... (end of example)

I was to young to RP - but I thought it was the coolest thing ever .... LOL

people would chat and sometimes fight like (example:) * PUNCHES HIM in the face with the strength of a thousand lions*

LOL

I hope someone know what I'm talking about XD

Rhydin

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I did roleplaying in an E Federation (wrestling) when I was a kid.

A dark time lol I did win the title because my HHH promos kicked ass.

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
RPing is still going strong! I don't frequent public group chats anymore, but I've been RPing with my writing buddy almost everyday for 3 years now. And there are still very active public RP chats in various nooks of the internet. You just gotta dig.

Yokijirou

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I use yahoo chat via a program called Cheetah Chat. It allowed you to use macros and other custom things to make RPing easier.

oh boy do I have some sad stories

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
this was also popular on all the P2P share site chatrooms ( Kazaa, WinMX, etc.)

when I was in middle school I took part, and there was a format for fighting/dueling that was broken down into 3 tiers:

tier 1: quick one liner sentences - whoever could type/adapt faster would win
tier 2: a couple of sentences, a turn based style
tier 3: paragraphs describing every detail of the fight/interaction, also turn based

tbh text based RPing is what taught me how to do 140wpm. good times.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I did it for years. RP'ed original characters, Ryu, Setsuna (Last Blade 2), Zero, Heero Yui, Macross stuff, etc. Did dice battles and was in guilds. Writing reports and logging fights for rank points. I did it mostly in AOL.

Last edited:

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I got into that in the '90s, mostly with Star Wars rp rooms. Still somewhat involved in an rp room with a small number of people, though the rp is extremely sporadic these days. There hasn't been any in a few years and it could be a few years still before we see any more. It's interesting rp'ing characters for so long, with literally decades of back stories to them.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Roleplaying is a good way to practice writing since you have to be sure your characterization, motives, etc. are consistent and obvious to others. I wish I could find active communities for it now, at least the ones to suit my tastes.

I'd bet a lot of roleplay communities nowadays devolve into ERPing though.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Jesus yeah.... Would do gundam battles in RP chat. I was obnoxious because I would use macros to spam shitty unimaginative attacks.

Shit I made a Deathscythe fandom side on tripod....

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for making me cringe at my younger self asshole. I did everything from RP's like that in chatrooms all the way to writing PAGES of RP's in a forum where we created characters and then posted our stories and everyone had a turn to react and so on.

Even worse than those

and once again fuck you OP for making me relive this

emote wars on forums

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
There's a whole server of RPers on FFXIV and probably the same for other big MMOs.

The only thing I remember about AOL chat was saying fuck once and them cutting off our internet and my mom had to personally call and apologize.

Thankfully I wised up and switched to IRC.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
There's a whole server of RPers on FFXIV and probably the same for other big MMOs.

The only thing I remember about AOL chat was saying fuck once and them cutting off our internet and my mom had to personally call and apologize.

Thankfully I wised up and switched to IRC.

TOSed.

When I was like 13 or 14, frequented Keyword: ANT, which was a gaming community on AOL with reviews, forums and chat rooms. One of them was called ANT Live Games and they had nightly games like trivia and stuff.

One of them was "scrambler," which was a bot you could use in AOL chats. You would pick a word, the bot would scramble it and people in the chat had to guess what it was.

I was hosting that for fun one night and decided to be a jackass, so I made the scrambler say "fuck you (name of one of the mods)" and immediately invited the mod into the chat so when he entered, it looked like someone said "fuck you" to him.

Yeah, he got reported and booted off AOL for a couple days. Oops.

Chubnasty

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Yes I use yahoo chat via a program called Cheetah Chat. It allowed you to use macros and other custom things to make RPing easier.

oh boy do I have some sad stories
I was coming in here to mention Cheetah Chat.

I used to roleplay Buffy the Vampire Slayer (even though I never seen a single episode), Pokemon, Dragon Ball, Tenchi Muyo, Final Fantasy 7, and generic fantasy. There are others but I can't recall them. I RPd male and female.

I was around 8-10 years old and when people found out I was that young I got a lot of creepy private messages.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
TOSed.

When I was like 13 or 14, frequented Keyword: ANT, which was a gaming community on AOL with reviews, forums and chat rooms. One of them was called ANT Live Games and they had nightly games like trivia and stuff.

One of them was "scrambler," which was a bot you could use in AOL chats. You would pick a word, the bot would scramble it and people in the chat had to guess what it was.

I was hosting that for fun one night and decided to be a jackass, so I made the scrambler say "fuck you (name of one of the mods)" and immediately invited the mod into the chat so when he entered, it looked like someone said "fuck you" to him.

Yeah, he got reported and booted off AOL for a couple days. Oops.
YO That was my childhood those AOL chat bots.
They had a Final Fantasy 6 RPG chat bot, and Sailor Moon which I was super hard core in. It was AMAZING as a kid, because it was a pseudo RPG with persistent levels tied to your account name but with lots of people playing. Basically you had the host (the person with the chat bot) announce there is a boss battle coming up, and others could /join in as a specified hero, with each hero having different moves. You'd get like 10-20 people all "battling" a boss and typing in special commands
The chat would be so hectic since it was all automated, but man this was awesome. It thought me to type REALLY fast.
I do remember downloading an illegal program that "spoofed" your name to be someone else's name and got in so much trouble because it was actually a program to intercept your AOL password. Woops. Someone stole my account and was doing illegal activities...

Also there was something called Duel of Swords which was Rock Paper Scissors for AOL Chat rooms but with a fantasy twist. Basically you "fought" another user by IM'd a duelmaster a command. The duelmaster would look at both commands and type out the outcome.
*****MANEUVERS*****
There are ten basic maneuvers in Duel of Swords:
Thrust
High Cut
Slash
Low Cut
Disengage
Lateral Parry
Sidestep
Circular Parry
Duck
Stop Hit
Each maneuver, when matched against an opponent's will result in a HIT, a MISS, or an ADVANTAGE. A HIT is scored with 1 point, a MISS with 0, and an ADVANTAGE with 1/2 point.
I vaguely remember Thrust > (Every Offensive Atk) & Slash > (All Defensive maneuvers except Sidestep and Stop Hit)
So much memories....

Last edited:

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
how did that go again? You had to be quick with your FAA's or whatever on a d20 and score a 20 to execute.

i just remember having this always ready to paste so you can speed type out attacks

//roll-dice4-sides99

rhydin was the world, they had a bunch of mafia groups and they would go to war with the rhydin PD. Good times.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I was part of a pretty big Star Wars rping community called Star Wars combine. I was the head of imperial special forces very briefly.

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
Naw, chat groups with random people always seemed weird to me. Now, in designated MUD/MUCKs? Sure, once upon a time, tho I usually ended up spending most my time playing with their built in scripting languages.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
RP, huh? Reminds me of my good buddy bloodninja, and his adventures with britneyspears14

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
trying to remember if unironically enjoyed those things or if i was there to troll. either way i spent an embarrassing amount of time in those chats

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
In the 90's? I was doing it in the late 2000s/ early 2010. I miss it to be honest. Sadly a lot of my friends went AWOL when Microsoft Messenger died.

Last edited: