• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I told myself I'd get around to playing it, but I honestly checked out hard when it wasn't a Saints Row sequel.

I mean, it kind of is, but it's not Saints Row.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Played it for review.

Gave it a 3 out of 5. It wasn't terrible, but it sure wasn't good either. It was just mediocre in every single way.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I'd say it's near the top of the list of this generation's least visually interesting games.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I got it & all the dlc during a sale last year & ended up really enjoying it. I thought all the characters played great & that the gameplay really shined at higher difficulties. Easily my favorite Volition game after Saints Row 2. It also has one of the best villains to ever appear in a video game, August Gaunt.
136852-hi.jpg

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly had a blast. The '80s-syndicated-action-cartoon-filtered-through-Saints-Row was practically tailor-made for me. I love how diverse the characters, personalities, and power sets are. I changed my line-up regularly and made it a point to max out everybody, although I absolutely had my favorites (Braddock and Daisy, particularly).

And although I'm squarely in the minority, I think single player was the right design decision here. Switching characters is too key a mechanic, and I don't think it'd translate as well to co-op.

I just wish there were more to do. The constantly respawning events didn't scratch my clear-all-the-icons-from-the-map open world completionism, and there was too limited a variety besides. The dungeons were too interchangeable.

It's the sort of game where I could imagine a sequel being jawdroppingly amazing, building off the strengths of the first one and smoothening out all its rougher edges. Too bad that doesn't look to be in the cards.

But yeah, I don't regret my preorder in the slightest, I wound up buying all the DLC, and I had a good enough time to be in that elite 1% of players who got the platinum on the PS4 (and I don't really even chase trophies).

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played it sometime ago and I actually enjoyed it.

Too bad that most missions were in those underground facilities that felt the same, which made the game feel a lot more repetitive.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
I literally just came across this in my library 2 hours ago( clearing space for Final Fantasy). Very simple but underrated game.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for all the kind words and feedback.

I got it & all the dlc during a sale last year & ended up really enjoying it. I thought all the characters played great & that the gameplay really shined at higher difficulties. Easily my favorite Volition game after Saints Row 2. It also has one of the best villains to ever appear in a video game, August Gaunt.
136852-hi.jpg

Robbie Daymond is incredible to work with.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I feel like something awful happened behind the scenes beyond the devs' control

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Designers (both game assets and gameplay) in Volition are talented but technical aspects are always terrible. That's usually my main problem with their games.

You'd have to elaborate on this because I thought SR 3 was an extremely polished gem of a game and was my personal surprise GoTY the year it came out.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to pop in and give you some props while everyone is in the thread shitting on the game.

I really enjoyed Agents of Mayhem. Kudos to you and the rest of the team. It's a very underrated title.

Thanks! And not everyone is! I appreciate that. Even the people that didn't like it are free to express it. Hopefully, I'll get some insight as to what wasn't working for them. For AoM, I've honestly got a pretty good mental list already compiled since its been out a good while, though. heh

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I enjoyed the game and even went out of my way to collect all of the Not-Orbs (i forgot what they were in this game, red shards?) but I played Crackdown 1 and Saints Row 1 right after and wound up having a better time with both.
I remember really enjoying the under construction area of Seoul in particular because the platforming across the map really shined there. A lot of the map didnt really feel like it was designed with the movement of the agents in mind and were kind of bland.

I knew some people dropped their plans with this game because they found out that it lacks coop. They assumed that it would be in case, like they did with their other games.
I know they said it wasnt designed with co-op in mind but some of the endgame encounters completely felt like they were designed around having two people to juggle the load.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It was the lack of co-op that killed it as a purchase for me.
I think I later bought it when it was mega cheap and I still don't fully understand why it wasn't co-op

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It was the lack of co-op that killed it as a purchase for me.
I think I later bought it when it was mega cheap and I still don't fully understand why it wasn't co-op
It's funny cause the fact that it wasn't Co-op or mulitplayer in any way was a big reason I got it day one. I really appreciated that it was a single player only experience. Juggling and managing the 3 Agents was pretty foundational and critical to the gameplay experience and while co-op might have worked out it would have drastically changed the experience and required a ton of more work on a game that already looked like it was strapped for time/resources. The limited missions variety and procedurally generated lairs really made that clear.

With how oversaturated the market was with Hero Shooters at that time I'm not sure co-op would have helped. Singeplayer only was at least a somewhat novel angel. They just didn't have much marketing or the content in the game to get good reviews and buzz around it.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I enjoyed the game and even went out of my way to collect all of the Not-Orbs (i forgot what they were in this game, red shards?) but I played Crackdown 1 and Saints Row 1 right after and wound up having a better time with both.
I remember really enjoying the under construction area of Seoul in particular because the platforming across the map really shined there. A lot of the map didnt really feel like it was designed with the movement of the agents in mind and were kind of bland.

I know they said it wasnt designed with co-op in mind but some of the endgame encounters completely felt like they were designed around having two people to juggle the load.
I agree I think traversal among the characters could have been better with the game. Getting around the map isn't as fun.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I sure do. I remember seeing the Saints Row symbol in one of the trailers and flipping out. Where's Saints Row :( ? Hopefully they waited for next gen and the game will be built around SSDs. That will be great.

As for the game, it was cool, it had a pet class so that's what I gravitated to a lot (the turrets iirc), having to switch up I forgot who else I had for the other two, but I mainly stuck with a fixed 3.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
The funniest thing about the game is that I have a friend that loved the Saint's Row games that skipped it because he assumed it was a co op only game.

Oct 25, 2017
I was interested in the game as a co-op experience. When I discovered it was single player only I just didn't pick it up, sadly.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
I wish it was on Game Pass for PC. Then I could give it a proper try. The input lag on Xbox was atrocious.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
You mean better Crackdown 3?

Sorry but crackdown 3 shits all over Agents of Mayhem .

- actual coop
- far better traversal
- much more interesting world and layout

Agents world was ok visually but I found a lot of the characters boring to traverse . it would have been a much better game if they had copied Crackdowns movement and multiplayer.

Agents is a solid 6/10 , not bad but nothing amazing, for me crackdown 3 was an 8/10

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Sorry but crackdown 3 shits all over Agents of Mayhem .

- actual coop
- far better traversal
- much more interesting world and layout

Agents world was ok visually but I found a lot of the characters boring to traverse . it would have been a much better game if they had copied Crackdowns movement and multiplayer.

Agents is a solid 6/10 , not bad but nothing amazing, for me crackdown 3 was an 8/10
I'd argue they both have their merits and a boatload of cons.

AoM is far more polished than Crackdown, whilst Crackdown is arguably the more enjoyable game if you can get over the jank and bugs.

Alex Connolly

Oct 27, 2017
Kagoshima, Japan
Actually really enjoyed it. The city was a perfect size, and co-op would have ameliorated any major misgivings about it not being a Saints Row sequel.

Not perfect, but the hero swapping/mix-and-match was great.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
I'd argue they both have their merits and a boatload of cons.

AoM is far more polished than Crackdown, whilst Crackdown is arguably the more enjoyable game if you can get over the jank and bugs.

Your right they definitely each have there own pros and cons, personally I just enjoyed the traversal and orb hunting far more in crackdown . The "physics" playground is alot more fun to play around in imo.

I didn't find crackdown 3 very buggy or janky but maybe I got lucky. Both games are underrated and worth trying .

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
After finishing Gat out of Hell. I kind of saw this world as a continuation of one of Gat's choices (the one where he resets the world).

Pierce actually took over Stillwater and became Kingpin, Gat and Kinzie are apart of the police (in some form) and Oleg is frozen man :P It was a nice call back to the Saints and the characters where also unique.

I loved the ship, and how it felt like a cartoon show. You called to action and you pick who you need and boom your in the city. The city was bright and colourful. There were some supernatural elements to with Scheherzade and the portals, or Oni and his back story, or Persephone's shady past all building for the sequel. I have a feeling that; marketing, lack of multiplayer and also it not being Saints Row hurt it too much in the public eye which honestly sucks as I wanted a sequel.

If I remember correctly there were a few character mentioned but didn't show them so its a bit of a tease for 2.

g1WDVVg.jpg

I remember it!

(I was the Lead Agent Designer)

Thank you for your work on the title.

I enjoyed the game more due to your work :)

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Grabbed it on sale on PS4 for like $10 awhile ago.

I played the first couple missions and had fun with the tutorial heroes you swap between. Not far enough to see any of the flaws, but was convinced to give it more time at some point.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for your work on the title.

I enjoyed the game more due to your work :)

I do need say that a whole lot needs to be attributed to the incredible team of people I worked with. I did have oversight of all the agents, but individual development was split between a few designers. Our engineers, animators, character and material artists, vfx artists, tech designers and artists, and audio team all contributed to bringing the agents to life.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
I bought it for like ten bucks a few years ago but have yet to try it out. It's sitting right next to Homefront.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's a fine game. But that's all it is. Biggest issue is the repetitiveness. I liked a lot of the character designs though.

It felt like an idea and concept that could work with more refining, but they'll probably never go back to it for obvious reasons.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
I picked it up on launch day for PS4, got a little bit in and fell off of it.

Came back about a year later on PC (especially after finding out there was a Kinzie DLC character) and found that I had a much better time now that my expectations for it were a bit more settled.

Like others have said, the Saturday Morning Cartoon aspect could have been leant into more (Maybe the Agents acting very M-rated whilst Friday dashes around trying to make the PR kid-friendly for franchising) but it was enjoyable enough to play through to the end of the game, and complete a bunch of the challenges along the way.

emcee80

Oct 25, 2017
Full disclosure, I played the heck out of this game - I really enjoyed it. Loved the G.I Joe themes, and straight out of the 80s cartoon feel. I know it gets dumped on a bit, but I had a great time 100% it. (well 95% it...missing 2 trophies - 1 and then the final 'all other trophies' trophy).

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Bumping the thread because I'm currently playing through the game after buying it during a PSN sale. I really enjoy the design of the world but there really doesn't seem to be much of a reason to explore outside of the crystals that you can use to level your characters past 20. The absolute worst thing about this game are these Legion Lairs, they seem to crop up during almost every single mission and pretty consistently in the Global Conflict mode. They are straight up garbage, they're composed of like 4-5 of the same rooms in different configurations with a very small set of tasks given for any possible room. They're too long and just a complete waste of time and it kills the entire flow of the game.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I remember a lot of people lost interest when they found out there was no co-op.

This was me.

EDIT: Just so this post doesn't come off as too reductive, I loved SR3 and 4 and Gat Out of Hell because of the co-op. I bonded significantly with a friend over those games and have attachment to the series primarily through them. I even loved everything about the direction of AoM, but with its design not allowing me to share that made it a deal breaker.

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
imagine having a nice open world with lots of verticality and characters with crazy skills

now imagine that for some reason most of the missions still make you go underground in an incredibly repetative, samey dungeon over and over again

i liked almost everything about the game but that made me drop it after 8 hours. Just utter nonsense.

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
I really enjoyed this game even though some missions and lairs got very repetitive at the end. In my opinion, the game highlighted how good Volition can be with world and character development. I loved some story beats
like the whole wedding subplot with Steeltoe and AISHA
and I feel the game had a really good heart but it wasn't fully supported by the different activities in the game.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it. Even enough to want a sequel.

That's right. I said it.

Still waiting for SR5, though.

I think a sequel that added more depth to the missions and world could produce the 'great' instead of 'fairly good' game we got with the first one. I loved the characters and playstyle etc, there just needed to be more to do with them.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I enjoyed it, the biggest issue for me was the world. It was extremely static and empty; the world was well made, but it felt so lifeless. Furthermore you had a bunch of underground missions that were the same copy paste. If they would have fixed those issues, it would have been a great game.