• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even better on the second go, now that you're no longer edging for
the return of Cooper.

I highly recommend watching it again. Start to finish. No skipping. Super-crispy. Almost burned. Cremated.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of have the opposite feeling. Now that I know a bunch of the subplots don't go anywhere, it drags more than it did the first time.

Incredible experience though.

Leland Palmer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
aw yeah. i got the bluray box but i haven't watched it yet for a second time after the release. I'm gonna also watch the movie for the first time when i marathon the whole series soon.

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
I've watched it several times. I'm about due to rewatch the whole series.

The Return is my favorite season of television ever and watching it as it aired was one hell of a ride. I think about the last two episodes a lot.

See you at the curtain call.

Oct 25, 2017
I did a rewatch late last year and still loved it all unashamedly. The entire Dougie Jones plot being capped off with the punchline of "People are under a lot of stress, Bradley." is one of the most uniquely satisfying absurd payoffs in TV history. It didn't give me what I expected from years of guessing how a third season would go, and I'm glad it managed to keep me guessing even long after the final scene faded to black.

OP
OP
Taki

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

* scratches rash *

OP
OP
Taki

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of have the opposite feeling. Now that I know a bunch of the subplots don't go anywhere, it drags more than it did the first time.

Incredible experience though.
To me the storyline was secondary to the show's portrayal of the moral demise and sheer griminess of rural America, with added notions of ugly misogyny.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll rewatch the first two seasons another ten times before I'd decide to not ever watch The Return again. Waste of time.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
The greatest fucking season of television there ever was.
ufgiJJq.gif

OP
OP
Taki

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd also like to add that it was surreal watching several actors' final performance post death:

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I loved every second of it and it's the only time I've been obsessed enough with a show to deal with the slow burn of watching it weekly.

Incredible shit. The ending is phenomenal and I hope we see one more season.

m43lstr0m

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a long time huge twin peaks fan from back when it first aired, the 3rd season worked me up but also broke my heart. But in the end this is Lynch's baby, not ours. So i respect it as another weird piece of work from one of my idols. My biggest regret is Audrey. It's like there was meant to be more, we just didn't get it.
In fact, even though Lynch supposedly loved the heck out of her character, i find everything that happened to her after season 2 to be pretty damn horrific and wish it wasn't so. Not what i wanted in those 16 years of waiting. :(

Leland Palmer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As a long time huge twin peaks fan from back when it first aired, the 3rd season worked me up but also broke my heart. But in the end this is Lynch's baby, not ours. So i respect it as another weird piece of work from one of my idols. My biggest regret is Audrey. It's like there was meant to be more, we just didn't get it.
In fact, even though Lynch supposedly loved the heck out of her character, i find everything that happened to her after season 2 to be pretty damn horrific and wish it wasn't so. Not what i wanted in those 16 years of waiting. :(
Audrey scenes were amazing depictions of mental illness

corn_fest

Oct 27, 2017
An incredible season of television. I watched the first third as it aired and was disappointed that it wasn't more like seasons 1 and 2.
But I recently went back to finish it, and now that I was willing to accept it for what it was (its own thing, using the original show as a base to explore ideas such as societal decay), I ended up really enjoying it.

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
I've not rewatched it since it finished. But kinda tempted to again. Legitimately the single greatest season of TV I've ever seen and the third to last episode when Cooper properly returns is the most cathartic episode of TV ever. Hell, 'I Am The FBI' is one of the single greatest scenes I've ever seen on TV (that sounds a bit hyperbolic for me, but I mean it!).

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Still can't believe we got 18 hours of pure unfiltered Lynch in 2017

Shit is crazy

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I recently got the Blu-Ray of the original series so I'll watch it after I watch that.

The weird thing is that I want to wait until October to rewatch it. It just feels like an Oct-Dec series.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I need to do a re-watch man, I should really get that box-set.

Seeing it live though, what an experience.

Not only was it the best season (IMO) it showed Lynch still has it.

R.I.P

Oct 30, 2017
Rewatched it a couple of months back on the blu-ray and it solidified it as my favourite season of television. Watching the season weekly the first time around was incredible but I loved it even more now that I could go in without the huge expectations I had on it before it aired.
I need a season 4 if lynch is up for it
I was really satisfied with how season 3 ended but yeah, if Lynch and Frost want to do season 4 or a second movie I would be all over it.

OP
OP
Taki

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd also like to add I think that it captures the 2015-? American zeitgeist pretty well.

uc2gkzvvit4z.jpg

Last edited:

Viriditas

Oct 25, 2017
United States
The greatest fucking season of television there ever was.

Agreed. Watching this show as it aired was nothing short of a spiritual experience for me. It was, and still is, very dear to my heart. Finished my 3rd rewatch pretty recently.

Audrey scenes were amazing depictions of mental illness

Also agreed. I thought Audrey's story ultimately contained a great deal of hope. Grim hope, maybe, but hope nonetheless.

Recently got my fictive sibling into Twin Peaks, they're not very far into it yet but I'm eagerly anticipating their perspectives on The Return.

We both grew up as impossibly weird, severely abused kids in small, rural, conservative towns, places that prided themselves on the "wholesome White American Dream" image while being "full to groanin'" (as my Mother would say) with rottenness, decay, and bigotry underneath that thin veneer. Most folks never really looked past the pastoral fantasy, or became outright violent with denial when confronted with the notion that it wasn't such a happy dream for all of us. For some of us, it was truly a nightmare, and very nearly a fatal one. "Everybody knew she was in trouble but we didn't do anything. All you good people…you wanna know who killed Laura Palmer? You did! We all did."

The pain, dissociation, desperate despair, and fragmentation of the self at the heart of that experience is something Lynch totally nails. What I love most about the character of Laura Palmer -- what I identify with the most about her, what I think The Return illustrated magnificently -- is that she's special because of her suffering, not in spite of it. We can't simply "get over" or "move on" from these experiences. They're part of us. The darkness can't be banished or vanquished, it can only be faced with courage and awareness, and at best, integrated into an empowering narrative. These selves are a creative survival strategy in the face of overwhelming trauma and deserve to be valued as such. "One and the same."

RVHO.gif

I think that's a pretty damn powerful message for us weird, abused kids trying to navigate a way to live when it seems impossible to comprehend, trying to integrate trauma into their narrative when it's so abhorrent that we'd rather think it happened to someone else entirely. "I feel like I know her, but sometimes my arms bend back."

Laura's final scream, to me, is emblematic of the final shattering of the illusion of family and home, which for many people -- whether they're able to articulate it or not -- represents the core of what they consider "reality." She's no longer living in a dream, and that cataclysmic awareness feels like it breaks the whole world. It's how I felt when I finally broke through the notion that I was fine, that my family was fine, that my home town was fine. I realized all at once how terribly bad things really were, and what I needed to do to change a future filled with roles that had seemingly already been written for me. I'm nobody's everlasting gobstobber of garmonbozia anymore.

Thank Dougie, lol

Last edited:

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend had never seen any of Twin Peaks so we ended up watching all three seasons and Fire Walk With Me in about a three month period. I adored The Return when it came out, and I still adore it. Was the best show on TV.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I did a year ago and I plan on watching it this year again. It was just as amazing second time around. You start noticing the budgetary restrictions a bit more now that the hype has died down and I think the show could probably have worked a bit better with a few less episodes overall (also ditch those terrible musical performances). But that said, I still rank it as one of Lynch's best works.