• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
When I play competitive multiplayer I play on console now, simply because I am old and I get absolutely destroyed on PC.

I actually stand a chance of winning on console because the odds are even, everyone has the same hardware and also it gives me a sense of security knowing that people can't cheat.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never liked using regular controllers for FPS, as I can't get accurate enough with the analog sticks. But after messing around with the Steam Controller, I found it to be a great way to play shooters, thanks to the mix of touchpad and gyro aiming. I also liked the Wiimote + Nunchuk scheme a lot, as it felt more natural than dual analog controls.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer using a controller, mouse and keyboard is nice, but I can destroy people on console with a controller, not so much on PC.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Yeah most of the time. I have a powerful ass PC but I find FPS games better on console just because of parity. Everyone is playing at similar settings nobody is doing ini tweaks or anything to gain an insane advantage.

The only time I prefer fps on PC is if the console version has a bad framerate.

Deleted member 35446

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2017
If there was a basketball league where players were forced to play in wheelchairs (joysticks) and had a guy sitting on top of the backboard who did his best to reach out for your missed shots and sink them in on your behalf (aim assist), I'm not sure that people would describe that version of the game as being more "tactical". More relaxing, sure.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dem comfy couches. Good thing you can hook your PC up to your TV/home theater/whatever.

I hate this rebuttal. How many people have their PC's in the same room as their couches? And how many people want a fucking PC sitting in their living room? Hate to break it to you, but for most people putting their bulky ass PC in their family room just to hook it to their tv is a total non-starter, so to come back with a reply like yours shows a complete lack of understanding of the average person or their situation.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I hate this rebuttal. How many people have their PC's in the same room as their couches? And how many people want a fucking PC sitting in their living room? Hate to break it to you, but for most people putting their bulky ass PC in their family room just to hook it to their tv is a total non-starter, so to come back with a reply like yours shows a complete lack of understanding of the average person or their situation.

Sounds like a personal problem. Long HDMI cables exist. In-wall HDMI cables exist. Steam Link exists. Tiny form-factor PCs exist.

My PC is in my second bedroom along with my girlfriend's. Both our PCs are hooked up to the living room home theater via HDMI cables. If that wasn't possible then we'd use Steam Link. It's not hard.

You might hate my rebuttal, but I doubt you hate it as much as I hate the ridiculous "comfy couch" argument.

Last edited:

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hate playing FPS games with analogue sticks. Anytime I ever play FPS games(with friends) on consoles I immediately just think how much better it would be playing it on PC instead. FPS games are strictly PC only for, unless a friend wants to play something on console. Keyboard + mouse just offers an infinitely superior experience. If I feel like comfy couching it, then I'll whip out the Steam controller which is still a much better experience.

I hate that this rebuttal is still used in 2019. There are so many HTPC cases to choose from nowadays. Small form factor PSUs, ITX motherboards, slim GPU(not really necessary anymore). You can easily fit a PC in a discrete HT style slim box that will look at home in the living room. There are great wireless keyboard and mice solutions that you can easily tuck away when not in use. And, of course, the Steam controller if you prefer something like that. And pretty much every other controller in existence thanks to Steam.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017

PC cases have come a long way since 1998. Small form factor cases and builds exist without sacrifice to performance.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
if im gonna use a controller I would rather do it on a console in the comfort of my couch.
I use controllers on my PC pretty frequently and it can be pretty great. Prey with a DS4 on PC > Prey with a DS4 on PS4 or with an Elite controller on Xbox for me, because I can implement gyro aiming and other major control enhancements that allow me to hotkey all my powers and weapons for even faster and more immediate use than standard controller schemes for the game allow for.

Metroid Prime Trilogy with a Steam controller is as good as Metroid Prime Trilogy with a Wii Remote and Nunchuk, and that's the only way you're comfortably playing MPT with a two-handed controller. If you don't have a Steam controller, you can still make Metroid Prime Trilogy work with any other standard dual analog controller, especially those which include gyro support, like DS4 and Switch Pro controller, both of which Steam natively supports w/gyro. Steam Input gives players the power to augment the shit out of existing control schemes but it also allows people to do new things that they couldn't do before with a controller.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017

I can pick up any controller and play on every display in my house thanks to Steam Link.

Last edited:

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can pick up my Steam controller and play on every display in my house thanks to Steam Link.
I 3D-printed a backplate for my Steam controller that mounts my phone to it.

I did this to stream Final Fantasy XII to my phone back when it came out on PC. It was amazing. It was like a straight up handheld version,at 60fps and 1080p+, with fully custom controls that even allowed me to enable and disable cheat engine scripts (like 10x speed and 'always rare drops/steals when available') on the fly. And no latency*!

(*i'm sure there was a little bit of latency, but it was unnoticeable. and i don't mean the sort of 'unnoticeable' that remote play enthusiasts used to claim, i mean it literally)

I threw that mount away a few days ago. I don't need it anymore. That's because Steam now supports using my cellphone screen itself as a fully customizable input device. I can play FFXII on my phone like it were a mobile game. I can customize where the little circles that represent my analog sticks go and all that jazz. RPGs on PC are never gonna be the same for me :p

So yeah, when you say every display, you really mean it.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Multiplayer ones yes.

I just don't have the exact perfect mouse settup and DPI settings nailed down to a tee that I even stand a chance.

It's so nice on controller when everyone is playing at equal levels.

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
I can pick up my any controller and play on every display in my house thanks to Steam Link.
Yeah that's what I also do. The link is beautiful thanks to its minimal design. I also have the ps4 and it's inside the wardrobe, I tried to find a spot for it but it's so fucking ugly that I decided to remove it from the room and call it a day.

For the topic, i played killzone on ps3/4 (strictly on single player) and that was pretty much it with the FPS on console. They're almost unplayable to me with a controller.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PC cases have come a long way since 1998. Small form factor cases and builds exist without sacrifice to performance.

Whatever. Most people aren't to completely rebuild their PC's or run extensive HDMI cables to hook it to a living room television. And putting the components in my current desktop into an HTPC would cost probably twice what I paid for it.

I mean, great, if that's your thing more power to you, but when someone says they prefer comfy couch gaming it's not too much of a leap to automatically know they either don't have a PC or aren't going to hook it up in thier tv room, so coming back with some reply like what I quoted is just lacking in common sense.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I 3D-printed a backplate for my Steam controller that mounts my phone to it.

I did this to stream Final Fantasy XII to my phone back when it came out on PC. It was amazing. It was like a straight up handheld version,at 60fps and 1080p+, with fully custom controls that even allowed me to enable and disable cheat engine scripts (like 10x speed and 'always rare drops/steals when available') on the fly. And no latency*!

(*i'm sure there was a little bit of latency, but it was unnoticeable. and i don't mean the sort of 'unnoticeable' that remote play enthusiasts used to claim, i mean it literally)

I threw that mount away a few days ago. I don't need it anymore. That's because Steam now supports using my cellphone screen itself as a fully customizable input device. I can play FFXII on my phone like it were a mobile game. I can customize where the little circles that represent my analog sticks go and all that jazz. RPGs on PC are never gonna be the same for me :p

Whaaaaaaaat? When did they do this? I gotta try this out!

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Multiplayer ones yes.

I just don't have the exact perfect mouse settup and DPI settings nailed down to a tee that I even stand a chance.

It's so nice on controller when everyone is playing at equal levels.
people aren't playing on a level playing field on consoles but I'm assuming you meant that the playing field is more equal on console. because a lot of the disparity seen between PC gaming setups exists between console gaming setups, too, even when you eliminate input as a disparity. And of course pads like the Elite controller and its PS4 analogues can really be gamechanging depending on the game.

I'm at an advantage to many users when I play Xbox shooters online because I play

- with an Elite Controller and foot pedals, because don't ask me to take my thumb off the right stick it's not happening
- on a fast network that prioritizes and protects gaming traffic
- on a computer monitor with 1ms image latency
- on the Xbox One X

Last edited:

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Whaaaaaaaat? When did they do this? I gotta try this out!
A few months ago. There's a new Steam Link app to use instead of Moonlight and it has this feature. Aaaaaand it's dope. If you've got 5ghz wifi then prepare to view every turnbased game as a potential handheld game from here on out.

That shit supports the whole gamut of Steam Input features including gyro support btw. that's right you can use the gyro on your phone. Real good for 3D RPGs, if you don't wanna be tweaking a camera via virtual analog all the time you can just create a tiny button to hold down that lets you turn the camera w/gyro while its held

Last edited:

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
#1 reason I stayed primarily a console gamer past 10 years is when I did go back to keyboard and mouse, wasn't as comfortable. I like the pacing of playing others who are mostly controller users as well. I like keyboard and mouse for strategy and any heavy menu management which is why I might come back but don't think I'm ever giving up the controller for FPS...even if it means getting wrecked by mouse and keyboard. Comes down to comfort. More important than precision.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I play PC with a controller and do great, never feel like I'm at a disadvantage even if I am

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I play PC with a controller and do great, never feel like I'm at a disadvantage even if I am
I got a buddy who's just like that. He's a god with a pad, I used to rib him for the choice but he keeps up with me on my best days.

Y'all folk are gifted. Not everyone can keep up like that. MMR helps, though. In a perfect world, your input choice wouldn't matter because the game would lump you together properly with people of your skill level, generally speaking.

Soon we'll be living in a time where m/kb vs controller on console will be a choice, one that you'll never have to feel constrained by or guilty about, because you'll be matched up with players who use that input device exclusively. That is the future that cross-platform play will enable.

Oct 25, 2017
Hilariously I prefer some FPS games on console. While others I couldn't imagine playing on anything but PC with M+KB

Titanfall 2 is one of those. The skill gap on PC was just insanely wide that it made it not particularly fun to play on PC. But on console where everyone is hamstrung by how much slower you can react with the controller it keeps the game very balanced and even. It's much more chill.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's what I also do. The link is beautiful thanks to its minimal design. I also have the ps4 and it's inside the wardrobe, I tried to find a spot for it but it's so fucking ugly that I decided to remove it from the room and call it a day.
Exactly. Steam Link is such a phenomenal device, and its integration as software into TVs and phones makes it even better.

A lot of people speak of conveniences as something that belongs to consoles. An open-platform lets you make your own conveniences without the compromise. Sometimes this means having some initial setup, or as optional features provided by clients such as Steam. There are few things more convenient than being able to pick up a controller and play on any display I want, all while having access to my entire library.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely more comfortable with a controller, have played console only for most of my life. Built a PC last year and have been trying to get more comfortable playing shooters with mouse and keyboard but it's tough. I've been playing quite a bit of Apex on there and just getting destroyed.

Disposition

Nov 5, 2017
What??? You can change the sensitivity to very, very low. 0.o
Umm, yes but then you have no reaction time when you are in the heat of it. Only the analog let's you ever so slightly hold an exact pan speed and you can sway it up and down. And still have high sensitivity on the analog. Also if you wanted to keep a pan on Mouse you need to pick up your hand and move across the pad again and again. Again analog no interruption.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Yes most people, as evidenced by sales figures.

Anyway I don't mind that controller is less precise than mouse when everyone is on a level playing field. That's more important to me - I don't like the fact that on PC you can tune your settings/specs to give you an advantage over others.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
It depends on the game for me. I can only play Destiny 2 on PC with keyboard and mouse, for example, and I only play Apex on PS4 due to how great it feels with the controller.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Sounds like a personal problem. Long HDMI cables exist. In-wall HDMI cables exist. Steam Link exists. Tiny form-factor PCs exist.

My PC is in my second bedroom along with my girlfriend's. Both our PCs are hooked up to the living room home theater via HDMI cables. If that wasn't possible then we'd use Steam Link. It's not hard.

You might hate my rebuttal, but I doubt you hate it as much as I hate the ridiculous "comfy couch" argument.

Although the front room experience of a PC is definitely not as good as a console. Mine was the all encompassing media unit. Then the fire stick came out and it became the gaming unit. Then the noise and general user experience saw it sit turned off for months on end. Now the Switch is in place, it is constantly used and the PC has been broken down. Comfy couch is a bad phrase, better user experience is certainly valid. When you have the PC in effect, you forgive the idiosyncrasies, work arounds. After a while, you just get something that suits your needs better.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Although the front room experience of a PC is definitely not as good as a console. Mine was the all encompassing media unit. Then the fire stick came out and it became the gaming unit. Then the noise and general user experience saw it sit turned off for months on end. Now the Switch is in place, it is constantly used and the PC has been broken down. Comfy couch is a bad phrase, better user experience is certainly valid. When you have the PC in effect, you forgive the idiosyncrasies, work arounds. After a while, you just get something that suits your needs better.

Sorry, I can't relate. My PC is quieter than my PS4, and my PS4 is pretty quiet. User experience? I press the PC button on my universal remote, turn on one of the PS4 controllers that's synced to the PC, and launch a game from Steam or RetroArch. Then I enjoy the better graphics, resolution, and framerate that PC provides over consoles. And mods. Seems like a pretty great user experience to me.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
No i cant precision aim for shit with a controller. Its mostly serviceable for me in thirdperson games. But also there its much smoother with mouse.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
I don't see why I'd ever want to do that. I don't use a kB/m, even for fast paced titles like DOOM wads.

Steam controller is ace. Not as good as kB/m for speed/accuracy, but it feels great and gyro should be a standard controller feature next gen, imo.