• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
I picked up Disco Elysium on the App Store the other day. I thought I remembered something about an update they put out that let just about any machine run this game. Sure enough, I looked it up and the "working class" update notes say that a Macbook Air 2012 should be able to run it! I'm using a Macbook Air 2019, a computer that is decidedly Not For Games, but it seemed like I'd be able to get by OK by comparison.

I have everything on the lowest possible settings and am playing the game windowed to lower the resolution and it still runs like dog doo! There aren't too many options to tweak in the menu. Is there something I'm missing here? I loved the tiny bit I played so far, but I don't think I'll get very too much farther with this performance. :(

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
It's going to be an issue with the internals more than anything else. A system meeting requirements does not necessarily mean it will be a pleasant experience to play that way.

I wouldn't expect high-performance from it, if you have already turned down the settings and it isn't running any better.

OP
OP
dogbox

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
It's going to be an issue with the internals more than anything else. A system meeting requirements does not necessarily mean it will be a pleasant experience to play that way.

I wouldn't expect high-performance from it, if you have already turned down the settings and it isn't running any better.

That's what I feared! Like I said, I knew the performance wouldn't be GOOD. I want like, not 15FPS performance. But I figured having a model SEVEN YEARS more current than what is supposedly needed would be good for something. :(

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
I have a MacBook Pro 16" with a Radeon Pro 5500m and even there I have to drop the resolution below 1080p and reduce details to get a playable framerate. But I have not installed the working class update.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Yup had the very same issue with the same model of air. But the 4 hours I managed to play hooked me enough to go get a gaming laptop( that I had been considering for sometime). Not helpful I know. But I played the remaining game and it was worth it.

Maybe consider Nvidia GeForce Now or other steaming services. They do work well on the Mac. Used to play Pillars of eternity on it and for isometric rpgs it's perfectly fine.

OP
OP
dogbox

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
Yup had the very same issue with the same model of air. But the 4 hours I managed to play hooked me enough to go get a gaming laptop( that I had been considering for sometime). Not helpful I know. But I played the remaining game and it was worth it.

Maybe consider Nvidia GeForce Now or other steaming services. They do work well on the Mac. Used to play Pillars of eternity on it and for isometric rpgs it's perfectly fine.

Well, good to know it's not just me. I hadn't thought about GeForce Now! I will definitely check that out, since buying a sick gaming laptop (unfortunately!) is not in the cards. If all else fails, hopefully Apple will refund me.

EDIT: Also I now want to hear Niles Crane talk about video game streaming services