• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
The AVGN episode about the CD32 gives it a very bad rep but it's really not representative of the library of the console. Most of the games were far better than that albeit mostly ports of A1200 floppy games with a CD soundtrack added.

Also it was a cheap system too - basically the price of a MegaCD IIRC.

And it had a great bootup:

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
I had a Sega Master System. I loved what games I had but it had no retail presence in NA.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I had a Turbo Graphx 16.

At the time I thought it was amazing, and I thought it was amazing everybody and their grandmother was launching a console.

Now that I'm older, I realize that was a terrible timeline if that had succeeded.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Inoreirdered an Amiga CD32. I loved my A500, and almost bought a CDTV as the tech sounded interesting

CD32 was utter shit. Worst controller ever.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Owned a Jaguar and Virtual Boy. But they weren't my only systems. Plus I got them dirt cheap after they were considered failures.

But we dodged a bullet because there was a time me and my brother were considering a Jaguar over a Playstation. Thank good we went with the later.

Oct 26, 2017
I had the Saturn. I notice many seem to put it in the same league as systems like the Jaguar and 3DO which I think is grossly unfair.
That said, the disastrous management from Sega in that era almost makes it justified. All things considered, the Saturn having so many high quality releases is something of a miracle.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Yes I used to own this:

qGayZ5U.jpg

Watara Supervision. A shitty gameboy clone. I only had like 2 games for it and it stopped working after a few weeks. Granted, I bought it used for cheap at a flee market. i had no idea what it was.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
I had a Virtual Boy and a handful of games, but it broke at some point and I guess it all got thrown away.

I also bought a Saturn from a kid at school for $20, but it was broken when I got it so I never paid him. It came with a cd book full of games, but I don't know what ever happened to it and since I never got to play any of them I don't remember what games they were.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
My family didn't have enough money to buy every crappy product that came out in the 90's so didnt end up with anything like that.

Also people calling the TG16 and Saturn bad?...
This thread is cursed...

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Yes I used to own this:

qGayZ5U.jpg

Watara Supervision. A shitty gameboy clone. I only had like 2 games for it and it stopped working after a few weeks. Granted, I bought it used for cheap at a flee market. i had no idea what it was.
Yep, this is mine too. Mine came from Fingerhut, brand new lol. I actually liked it.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Lol at everyone asking if their system was bad. Here's a comprehensive list of the good ones (in no particular order):
  • SNES
  • Genesis
  • Sega CD
  • N64
  • Playstation
  • Dreamcast
  • Saturn
  • Gameboy (all iterations)
  • Game Gear
Sure, I loved Flashback on my Jaguar and my friend group played Way of the Warrior on a 3DO for dozens of hours, but these were bad consoles.

Nomad wasn't that bad. Aside from the battery life.

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
We had the Jaguar, my dad was big into Tempest 2000 on it.

He/we had a CDi too, but no games, my dad got it for the concert VCDs really Queen in Montreal, AC/DC Donnington. There was one anime shooting game thing, but I don't remember it's name. I remember the scene in which you got the gun and a guy telling you "It can shoot the hind legs off a grasshopper" but that's about it. I think he might have had some of the adult games on it and some VCDs he'd imported from Holland if you know what I mean...

EDIT - The CDi Game was 'Escape from Cyber City'.

Last edited:

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I had the Sega CD and 32X.

I didn't have a PC back then, and Doom on 32X was pretty decent aside from the fart music, so I liked it. Overall though it was mostly useless.

Sega CD isn't on the "bad" list, but it comes so close. Sonic CD, Shining Force CD, Snatcher, Popful Mail and the Lunar series made it good.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I think these count

Commodore CDTV
Virtual Boy
32X
N-Gage (v1)
Neo Geo Pocket Color

I also had the Saturn and Mega CD, personally I would not place them in the bad console category. And also the NGPC was a nice handheld, just not that successful.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I grew up with regular access to a TurboGrafx-16. I still think Bonk's Revenge is fucking awesome. Once again, not Bonk. You gotta play Bonk's Revenge. It's awesome.

I adore the console to this day but TurboGrafx-16 with only the USA catalogue was largely considered bad/weird back in the day.
I got a really good deal on the TG 16 close to launch and I had no idea about anything so I was pissed a few months later when the Genesis came out. Prior to that I was rocking the NES and the graphics on the TG 16 just seemed like the next best thing to the arcade so I was real happy with Keith Courage initially. But man did I regret it soon afterwards!

I did get a SNES shortly after launch and the Genny much later in the gen (you could really get stuff so cheap back then looking around the neighborhood).

And the TG 16 is actually a great console but buying it right before the Genny released was really stupid.

Warszawa

Sep 30, 2018
I think if Sega hadn't shit the bed with the 32x the Sega CD would have been seen as more of a curiosity than a failure, it sold a fair number of units and software, but Sega never really felt like it had its heart in it. Had they had a better marketing strategy, a longer tail in the software catalogue and provided a cost reduced version maybe combined with the MD/Genny history would have been different.

Thats a real alternate history for you folks.

The only terrible ones are Jaguar and CDI, even the 3DO had some decent stuff.

I always used to stumble on Jaguars at local carboots (UK equivalent to lot or garage sales) and they always stunk of an off brand copy of Sega/Nintendo stuff, when I was less informed I thought it was a cheap knock off with the Atari brand. Chequered Flag = Virtua Racing?. Yuck

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got a really good deal on the TG 16 close to launch and I had no idea about anything so I was pissed a few months later when the Genesis came out. Prior to that I was rocking the NES and the graphics on the TG 16 just seemed like the next best thing to the arcade so I was real happy with Keith Courage initially. But man did I regret it soon afterwards!
Interesting. The only TG16 owners I knew were hardcore gamers that read magazines and knew about both systems. People blindly buying a TG16 around launch must have been pretty rare. I bought both but chose to get Genesis first.

I think if Sega hadn't shit the bed with the 32x the Sega CD would have been seen as more of a curiosity than a failure, it sold a fair number of units and software, Sega didn't have its heart in it. Had they had a better marketing strategy, a longer tail in the software catalogue and provided a cost reduced version maybe combined with the MD/Genny history would have been different.
The Sega CD gets shit on by its association with 32X but it really shouldn't. Almost everyone that owned a Sega CD and played more than just FMV games knows it had several great games.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
I loved my second CD, thank you very much. Also, my friend around the corner owned a 32X, but he didn't buy any of the cool games like knuckles chaotix.

He also had a Saturn, but didn't get shinobi legends. He bought all the consoles to play all the different sports games.

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
In the 40 odd years of gaming I don't think I have ever had any of the bad systems. I have had a few of the lesser systems. Started with a Vic 20 (the not as powerful as a C64) and the Acorn Electron (not as powerful as the BBC Micro).

plus I had both the Neo Geo Pocket/Pocket Colour and the Neo Geo CD. All great systems. In fact I think I remember my time with the NGP more fondly than the GB. Even borrowed a mates Atari Lynx with California Games. Loved the skateboard and surfing sections of that game. Ate batteries like there was no tomorrow.

Warszawa

Sep 30, 2018
The Sega CD gets shit on by its association with 32X but it really shouldn't. Almost everyone that owned a Sega CD and played more than just FMV games knows it had several great games.

Couldn't agree more - its baffling that Sega didn't capitalise on an all in one revision instead of the clusterf$@k that the 32x ended up being for both financial and political reasons, and I owned one!

Theres some legitimate gems on the Sega/Mega CD.

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how young people are in here, but it's important to remember that game media was totally different back in the '90s. Very rarely did a mag actually come out and say, "LOL! This company is doomed, etc!"

Jaguar and 3DO were considered incredibly niche and uncommon in the wild. Neo Geo AES as well. Doom and Wolfenstein were not the juggernauts (on consoles) as they are today. (If I knew, I would have grabbed Jaguars with link cables on clearance back then). Alien vs Predator and Super Street Fighter 2 were the highlights of those systems back then (as least, as noted by the media)

The Segas were a bit different. I was a Nintendo kid all my life. My first memories of Mario and Zelda came from the cartoons , not the games. If not for the Zelda cartoon every Friday, I never would have picked up that golden cartridge that began a lifelong hobby.

But as much as I loved the Nintendo franchises, playing Sonic for the first time in 1993 was a totally different beast. After all, this was the year Sega succeeded in the holiday wars versus Nintendo. Plus, it didn't hurt that Genesis stuff was WAY cheaper than SNES. But like the NES, the Genesis had a hell of a back library (as I dub it, Before Sonic) that caught my eye that a lot of my Sega friends ignored, like Joe Montana, Ghostbusters, Ghouls N Ghosts, even Moonwalker.

So, a Sega CD was only natural, considering that was the only way to play the newest Sonic. And third party games with better music and features than the SNES versions for way less the price? Why not? And a ton of the games were clearanced at Toys r us for $10, so I loaded up. (Though I missed Shining Force CD at every fucking chance!)

But no one ever said WHY they were clearanced? And why would I care? It happened all the time for other systems. A regular event for me was to get the Sunday ads on Saturday so I can get the best gaming deals with the little money I had. Why would I think something's wrong?

A year or so after 32x came out, I picked one up mainly for Knuckles Chaotix. The third party ports weren't bad (Mortal Kombat 2, NBA Jam, and the WWF games were better than the Genesis versions), and I get to play Doom for the first time? Nice! A short time later, I bought Virtua Fighter for $20 to see what The hubbub was about without playing $399 for a new system that didn't have Sonic.

Another thing to keep in mind: gaming retailers didn't have their shit together like how they do today. There really wasn't a store that offered 99% of the games out there, like an Amazon would today. I would find the rare 32x game here and there and be happy to get it for $10-$20. Perhaps the closest to being complete inventory would be old school Funcoland, but only they charged up the ass for new titled and even then , they weren't perfect. (Fun fact, if you have one, check an old Funcoland price guide - they never recognized Spider Man Web of Fire for 32x as released).

And around here, the hype around Nintendo 64 was coming about. Saturn still didn't have a new Sonic, so I didn't give two shits, and the original PlayStation reminded me of Jaguar and 3DO; flashy graphics without the games to back it up. It was only when a lot of my favorite third party franchises started showing up on Sony that I took notice.

But with that, I (with the rest of the world) slowly forgot about those games on the release lists that faded away into memory, like Mortal Kombat 2 and Batman Forever for Sega CD, or Darkstalkers, Street Fighter the Movie, or Castlevania for 32x.

Very rarely did a source go out of their way to say a game or system was cancelled. If anything, new products came to replace that same interest.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't agree more - its baffling that Sega didn't capitalise on an all in one revision instead of the clusterf$@k that the 32x ended up being for both financial and political reasons, and I owned one!

Theres some legitimate gems on the Sega/Mega CD.
The CDX was the coolest looking of the combo revisions but it was probably too expensive for mass market.
gencdx.jpg

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Closest was the Genesis. (the clear loser in its generation system war for multiplats)

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI

I did get a SNES shortly after launch and the Genny much later in the gen (you could really get stuff so cheap back then looking around the neighborhood).

And the TG 16 is actually a great console but buying it right before the Genny released was really stupid.

Yeah that's exactly how I remember it too. I loved the TG16 but the timing made people assume the worst about the console. It didn't have Genesis graphics, it didn't have SNES sound, and it sure didn't have the NES library at the time of release. So it was always considered a bad console at that time.

But today, on it's own, it's obviously great! Factor in the Japanese catalogue and the Super CD and that system was fire.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
No, but I rather enjoyed both of my "bad" handhelds. The Atari Lynx and Turboexpress. But to be honest with you I wish I'd just got another gameboy. My sister broke mine.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Closest was the Genesis. (the clear loser in its generation system war for multiplats)
I don't think it's a clear loser. There were plenty of multi-format games where I think the Genesis version is better: Alien 3, Flashback, NHL series, Thunder Force III/Spirits, Earthworm Jim, Mortal Kombat 1, Robocop vs the Terminator, Mickey Mania, Ys III, Desert Strike.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not 90s anymore but I bought the original Nokia N-Gage on day1 instead of a Nintendo DS. No ragrets!

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I did for a few hours.

I remember I was shopping with my grandfather and there was an electronics section with a 32X displayed that I think was selling for $99 at the time. I basically smooth talked my way into having him buy it for me with that hummingbird game Kolibri.

I knew my dad was gonna be pissed so I hid it when I came home and I tried to set it up myself in my room but I couldn't get it to work because I was young and an idiot, I guess. My dad eventually found out and before I could even turn it on he forced me to return it to the store.

I was pissed, but looking back he did me a huge favor. Thanks dad.

Last edited:

Warszawa

Sep 30, 2018

I thought Era was above console warzzzz.

I'll let you in on a secret........

Outside the big tentpole releases, the SNES library is a snorefest of barely comprehensible JRPG fluff nobody has time for anymore.

Opinions!

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
People here claiming the Saturn wasn't bad... a console is only as good as the games released on it, and the Saturn's North American library was pretty awful. Unless you grew up in Japan in the 90s, I think it's safe to call the Saturn a bad 90s console.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's a clear loser. There were plenty of multi-format games where I think the Genesis version is better: Alien 3, Flashback, NHL series, Thunder Force III/Spirits, Earthworm Jim, Mortal Kombat 1, Robocop vs the Terminator, Mickey Mania, Ys III, Desert Strike.
I know, I was being a shit.

Real talk though: wasn't MK1 on the SNES better in every way, EXCEPT for blood/fatalities?

Deleted member 59976

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 15, 2019
I own the Panasonic 3DO and Sega's 32X.

Edit: It is the Goldstar 3DO-Version with front CD-Loader.

Then 3DO had really impressive games back in the days: The first (and best) Need For Speed, an exclusive and technically stunning FIFA Soccer, Wing Commander 3, SF Hyper Fighting, Road Rash etc. I really liked the system and wouldn't consider it bad.

The 32X on the other hand was a little disappointment. Nevertheless it featured the best MK2-Version, the best Afterburner-Version, Virtua Racing Deluxe and an excusing Sonic game.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I never had a Sega CD, 32X, 3DO, or CDi. I did have a Jaguar. I specifically bought it to tide me over until the Saturn launched. I got plenty of enjoyment out of both, though it wasn't long before I'd pop in a Jaguar game and play it for a about half a minute and then go "Yeesh..." and turn it off. For me it ended up basically being a dedicated Tempest 2000 machine.

I wasn't a kid though, I was like 24 or 25 at the time.

Kelegacy

Nov 12, 2017
Maine
I had a Sega CD and it wound up being one of the most influential systems of all time for me. It singlehandedly got me into point-click adventure games especially. (Willy Beamish and Monkey Island). No other system besides PC offered such an experience.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People here claiming the Saturn wasn't bad... a console is only as good as the games released on it, and the Saturn's North American library was pretty awful. Unless you grew up in Japan in the 90s, I think it's safe to call the Saturn a bad 90s console.
You didn't have to live in Japan to find Japanese Saturn games. EB in North America had several imports. And domestically it had Panzer Dragoon series, Virtua Fighter series, NiGHTS, Galactic Attack, Darius Gaiden, Sega Rally, Fighters Megamix, Virtua Cop series, Shining Force III and Holy Ark, Powerslave, Duke 3D, Guardian Heroes, Sega Ages Vol. 1, Tomb Raider, Lunacy, Tempest 2000, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Shinobi Legions, Last Bronx, Nightwarriors, Virtual On, etc..

It's not as strong as PS1 but I would pick that library over the N64, and I love the N64.

I know, I was being a shit.

Real talk though: wasn't MK1 on the SNES better in every way, EXCEPT for blood/fatalities?
SNES MK1 controlled shitty but they mostly fixed that with the sequels.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
None of ya'll better say Sega Sat...

Bastards, glad to see the defense force is out at least.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I loved my 3DO. Roadrash, Samurai Showdown, Killing Time, Slam and jam, Mad Dod McCree,.

3DO-System-Goldstar-large-image.jpg

Mario Tennis was an amazing game. I also enjoyed Telero Boxer and the Wario game.
Virtual-Boy-Set.jpg

I only remember Duke Nukem but this this was bad.
Tiger-Game-Com-FL.jpg

I was this kid, I looked this stupid but was having much less fun. It was just cartridge versions of those awful Tiger handheld games.
856423-rzone.png

Easy Rider

Nov 2, 2017
I had an Atari Lynx. I would have never asked for it but was a present from a family friend. Finding where to buy games was an odyssey. I owned Block Out and Checkered Flag, decent games actually but I'd rather have had a Game Boy or at least a Game Gear.