• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I was living with a friend last year working up in LA but both the job and living situations ran their courses so I moved back home with parents with the intention of taking a few months to work locally temporarily and figure out my next long term job/living situation. This was back in January.

Suddenly CV and I could be living here a long time. I'm very thankful for having a secure place to live but man living with your parents as an adult can be tough especially during a pandemic. They are struggling with passing time while being mystified at how I can spend hours browsing the internet or playing video games like it's nothing.

Anyone else in a similar situation? Feels like they don't have many hobbies and they're already getting cabin fever.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Don't talk back to them that much. Just agree, nod, and then go to you room. I don't even eat in the same room with them. I love them but they can be too micro managing

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Been with my dad since I moved back from Japan... now that he's retired too... yeah he has no idea how to spend his days - no hobbies, nobody to be around be me, he gets bored and takes a nap a lot. Lies on the couch and watches what I'm watching... I honestly would love to stay alone in my room but he's pretty needy to have someone around.

The only thing he really has in life is his appointments with doctors and physiotherapy. He started regularly checking out thrift stores since my sister started collecting furbies since he at least gets to use some time to help her out he feels.

*edit*

Oh yeah he has one hobby that's rather unbearable - trawling tweets and youtube videos about Joe Biden. It's some incredibly bizarre obsession he's built up, it riles him up so much but sometimes I'll wake up and hear an old Biden my dad's watching on Youtube again it's insane, his anger at Biden has just about overtaken his hatred of Trump over the last year and he's made it into the only hobby he has in life.

Last edited:

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'm living with my parents currently and i mostly just stay in my room and game anyways lol but i have a good relationship with my parents. My brother and his bf and my father head butts all the time and it gets really bad sometimes.

Just do what you have to do.
Don't talk back to them that much. Just agree, nod, and then go to you room. I don't even eat in the same room with them. I love them but they can be too micro managing
My father is like that to a TEE. I just don't even like hanging out with him sometimes because he nit picks every little thing i do.

GNOSIS

Oct 29, 2017
I'm Asian. I'd love to go back and live with my parents if it's not because of my job. I live like a king when I'm with them.

I don't get western mentality regarding living with your parents at all.

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm Asian. I'd love to go back and live with my parents if it's not because of my job. I live like a king when I'm with them.

you try bringing a date home to your parents lol

(not that I'll be doing that for a while...)

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
wish i was at home. at least i'd have someone to talk to lol. feel like im going to get cabin fever pretty quickly

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn

Yea I don't understand the shame with living with your folks while you're preparing financially to move out.

But I also don't enjoy being pampered by my mom, trying to micro manage me or invading my privacy so those regards, moving out is the best option.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I live with my mom and my brothers. My mom is going through chemo and my brothers and I have had different heart conditions scaling from a hole in the heart, a heart murmur, and one having open heart surgery.

So if any one of us gets the virus I feel like we're suuper fucked lol.

My work still has me coming in so being extra cautious is key.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Eh, I can't afford to live on my own and my mother can't afford to live by herself so it's kind of a win-win.

We just.. get along, I don't know. We leave each other alone. Sometimes we're in the same room, other times we're not.

Not quarantined, but I do spend majority of my time at home. She's a filthy TV hog though. lol

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Yea I don't understand the shame with living with your folks while you're preparing financially to move out.

But I also don't enjoy being pampered by my mom, trying to micro manage me or invading my privacy so those regards, moving out is the best option.

yeah I love my parents but having my habits and behaviors constantly given an opinion on is tiring. And knowing that it's possible for weeks we could be the only three people talking to each other I want to prevent as much arguing and fighting as I can.

Dec 6, 2018
It looks like this is about to be me :/ all my plans to go and work on my own in an apartment downstate cancelled in just a couple days. Now I'm stuck at my parents house having to pretend to not be upset about it, which yeah I'm being privileged but it's hard not to be disappointed.

I myself am trying to see if I can do any online classes. If that doesn't work out I'll see if I can brush up on translating stuff. My parents have been trying to watch a movie or show every night, which generally means rom-coms which are alright although they get stale fast...

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I live with my parents and one brother who are all hardcore Trump supporting Republicans.

It's fucking hell. All I hear is all political, all the time. They'll believe any fucking article they read that hates on Liberals or Democrats.

Most of the time, I just put my earbuds in and ignore them the best I can.

GNOSIS

Oct 29, 2017

I get that. I'm a very private person so I love living by myself now. But gosh, I hate cleaning. It helps that my parents just let me do whatever I want since I was young. They respect my privacy too. So moving back to their place is not such a bad idea in my mind.

The thing is, the idea of my parents being old alone without me living with them is heartbreaking so I will have to find a way to move back or let them stay with me eventually.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I live with my parents and one brother who are all hardcore Trump supporting Republicans.

It's fucking hell. All I hear is all political, all the time. They'll believe any fucking article they read that hates on Liberals or Democrats.

Most of the time, I just put my earbuds in and ignore them the best I can.
My parents are like that, but the other way around. My mom hates Trump probably even more than i do which shocked me. Sometimes it can get a little bit too much when it's at the dinner table. Otherwise their cool with me :D

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I get that. I'm a very private person so I love living by myself now. But gosh, I hate cleaning. It helps that my parents just let me do whatever I want since I was young. They respect my privacy too. So moving back to their place is not such a bad idea in my mind.

The thing is, the idea of my parents being old alone without me living with them is heartbreaking so I will have to find a way to move back or let them stay with me eventually.
Yea that gets to me too. Especially since my folks don't speak much English.

Making sure my mom isn't consumed by the Corvid-19 scare is like a full time job as it is.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I live in the bay area, where the options for millennials are either live with your parents, live in a cramped apartment with four other people, pray you get into a lucrative tech job, or move somewhere else. So yes I live with my parents.

For self-quarantine it's fine since I just stay in my room most of the time anyways. I think my parents are gonna make me go to brunch with my grandparents tomorrow which is, uh, scary though. My mom is taking quarantining pretty seriously but my grandparents aren't because they think they have superhuman immune systems and she doesn't really want to argue with them about not going to brunch.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I don't envy you, OP. Are there any hobbies you could introduce them to?

I grew up being told that I wouldn't move out until I got married just like the rest of my family and thinking of living with your parents in adulthood as the norm. But even then I totally understand the American mentality of getting out as soon as possible. :P

Maybe it's partly a gender thing too. In my experience (with Colombian families), there's much more of an expectation for daughters to clean, be involved with whatever is going on in the kitchen, run errands, take care of other people's kids, etc.

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't envy you, OP. Are there any hobbies you could introduce them to?

Mostly watching movies... which is hard to find movies all three of us would want to watch. We just watched one tonight.

My mom is obsessed with Pokemon Go and spends most of her waking hours playing it with her friends, so she's not used to being cooped up in the house all day. My dad really doesn't have much, he likes photography, bike riding, and travel... obviously a no go right now. He'll probably find some home repair stuff to do, he has a pathological need to fix things (he's a workaholic currently between jobs, so you can imagine how antsy he gets).

Feels like on the other hand I've spent my whole life training for this moment, watching anime, playing video games, and browsing the internet for hours on end. I'm in my environment!

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
I don't mind the parental micromanagement. Yes, it's intrusive but they're doing it because they care about you. Not everyone relates personally to their parents, like beyond a parent/child relationship, and that's perfectly okay.

I drop the video game/internet stuff when I'm staying with my parents. They're getting old and I want to spend quality time with them. Usually I'll cook dinner, joke around with my mom during the daytime, and watch some bullshit sitcom or action comedy with my dad and his super fucked up radiant color automation plus television.

I've run the gamut on "don't just sit around let's go do something" and "let me calibrate your damn tv." Took me longer than I'd like to admit to realize that those aren't the things they want to do and I have to respect that. A lot of their choices and tastes don't make any goddamn sense to me but they've lived like twice the amount of time I and (I have to assume) have had experiences and gained insight the likes of which I cannot even fathom.

I do get tired of being interrogated over not wanting to eat like 3 hamburgers for dinner, or sleeping in past 8 am, or the photos my friends post on Facebook, or not drinking enough milk.

But it's my parents. Wtf am I going to do? Ignore them?

Feb 21, 2018
I love my parents. If you can help it don't let them discover the YouTube or news apps on your TV, otherwise you'll get lots of the same annoying ads for very short content. Haystacks is ok, it has the local news so it's not as dramatic as the cable networks. I will say there are some gems on YouTube that I would have never found thanks to the algorithm that targets an older demographic, vintage rock concerts, wholesome non-clickbait viral videos, etc. I'm tempted to create a YouTube account for the living room TV cause the recommendations are way better and of greater variety than the stuff I get on my personal account.

Get them into a Amazon or Netflix show, Little Women, Anne with an E, Lost in Space are all great. You'll never like the movies they watch, accept it. Handheld Switch has been a lifesaver. Go for a walk if you can, sidewalks and parks are unsurprisingly empty. Bake with your mom. Take up writing and always have a notebook handy, parents say the darnest things.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

Not Asian but I love visiting my mom and being pampered honestly. Just found out I'll be in quarantine with her in a couple weeks when I go visit her and I'm not bothered a bit. I can definitely see it as a small doses thing though.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
You said self-quarantine and not involuntary—meaning you do have the option to leave the house. Do you have friends locally? I would just crash with them or a partner that is around locally to break up the family togetherness.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I would love to have some company if I have to self-quarantine. I live alone in a small studio apartment, I will go insane.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Every family is different. Me and my retired parents are introverted, so when I was living with them for 4 months between jobs, we tended to just hang out together and do our own separate things, talking at mealtimes and the occasional random trip shopping or going for a walk.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
They are struggling with passing time while being mystified at how I can spend hours browsing the internet or playing video games like it's nothing.

Well, communication is key.

I myself am trying to see if I can do any online classes. If that doesn't work out I'll see if I can brush up on translating stuff.

Depending on what it is you want to learn, there are loads of awesome online classes that are either free or that will cost you like a fiver a mount. Go for it, it's a great use of this extra time you're spending at home.

If you're a teenager, this is a perfectly normal behavior. If you're an adult, then you probably need to sit down with your parents and have a real conversation about what's bothering you.

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
You said self-quarantine and not involuntary—meaning you do have the option to leave the house. Do you have friends locally? I would just crash with them or a partner that is around locally to break up the family togetherness.

I don't feel like I should be infringing on my friends at a time like this. No partner, though the last girl I dated lived an hour away, so lol.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

This.

They're always going to view you as your child no matter how old you get, how independent you are, or how mature you are.

My partner and I had to move back in with my parents at one point. We spent most of it living in one single room because anything else was basically their rules and their rules only.

I was in my 30s.

Parents who will take you back in always mean well, but they have their own lives too and have their own ways of doing things. Especially if you've not lived with them for a while.

Respect their boundaries and try to get them to respect yours that's the only way you can deal with it.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I am a calm person so I don't mind if they have the TV on max volume that can be heard throughout the house or when they discuss things out loud. Same for my brother, though now he lives on his own. Though my sister couldn't handle it when she stayed with them.
There will be some unavoidable squabbles and bickerings but they'll be forgotten

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps they want to see their unemployed adult child doing more than browsing the internet and playing video games for hours on end? I know I would. Are you learning new skills, searching for work, starting a side business online, or any number of other productive things?

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Perhaps they want to see their unemployed adult child doing more than browsing the internet and playing video games for hours on end? I know I would. Are you learning new skills, searching for work, starting a side business online, or any number of other productive things?

lol

I have a job, but thanks for the condescending assumption. My dad's not even sure if I should keep going at the current rate.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This nonsense is the result of 'work is the only measure of human value' propaganda. If you're not productive you're trash.

Smh

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Ahh, misunderstood. Main point stands, though - to them it looks like you're wasting your life
The OP was less than ten sentences and spelled everything out, are you for real?

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
The OP was vague in regards to his employment status. He had the intention to work which isnt the same as having work.
I am, in fact, not real
OP wasn't too clear. Trying to think of things from the parent's perspective.
I don't grok what, if anything, was unclear. Pandemic has thrown a spanner into the works of his immediate plans and now parents have cabin fever, so they're awkwardly stuck in place together for the time being.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel like I should be infringing on my friends at a time like this. No partner, though the last girl I dated lived an hour away, so lol.

It's a weird time for sure, but if your friends want to hang just hang. Also, there are lots of girls looking for quarantine and chill. 😅

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I left my apartment for now and am staying at my parents as my Uni has suspended all courses and the city they live in is smaller and less prone to an outbreak. It's not all bad though, my mom loves playing Mario Kart with me and seeing Netflix shows and it's pretty great for bonding lmao