• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all! I went to the dentist today for a deep cleaning as apparently I am developing periodontal disease. It surprised me because I brush twice daily, waterpiq daily, and go to my dentist visit every 6 months. Apparently my brushing technique just flat out sucks and has sucked for 30 years, and I rarely floss. They suggested these SonicCare brushes, but to be honest dropping 200 on a toothbrush is a bit... excesive? Still, reviews online rave about it.

Anyone with experience using these toothbrushes? Is it worth the investment? I'll need to get two for me and the missus.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's pretty amazing, feels like I just got out of the dentist. The pulse is very strong but you get used to it. Just don't go pressing too hard as it can recede your gums over time. I like it a lot, but I didn't buy mine, got it as a gift.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have the DiamondClean (the 1 button version). Been using it since last Boxing Day (late December).. It's soo effective. Can't go back to manual anymore. Costco in Canada has the brush heads for 50 bucks for 5 so look into it if there's a Costco near by. I paid about 140 cad and now it's on clearance in a drug store chain for about 70 but even 140 I think it's worth it.

Vark

Oct 27, 2017
They're definitely worth the investment. The brush heads could be cheaper but you can get a large pack of them decently cheap at Costco.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its the best toothbrush i have ever used. You will not want to want to go back and it will make you regret not getting one sooner. Seriously regular toothbrushes feel like caveman shit.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
You don't need the top end model. Just get a basic soniccare toothbrush for $30. It's a huge improvement over manual brushing and all the expensive models offer are diminishing returns.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
You won't regret getting one. My mouth has an orgasm from brushing now. My teeth always feel like I just got out of the dentist chair.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, been using the diamondclean smart for uhh, a year? I've got to buy new brush heads at costco, prices are unreal at pharmacies and what not

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
I had a waterpik/electric brush combo that I destroyed so I'm in the market for something as well. Worth it to spring to a sole waterpik and diamondclean? Or would a diamondclean be good enough to replace the pik as well?

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
Damn good. Bought it recently, it's par to none in terms of quality. But to be honest it's probably not actually 50 times better than a regular tooth brush. Go for it of you feel like you can afford it, go for a cheaper model or just a regular tooth brush if you don't. I'm not aware of any reliable research that shows any true health improvements. But the feeling's kind of worth it to be honest and makes brushing your teeth much less of a chore.

Meicyn

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I use the Oral B stuff instead. The smaller brush heads allow for easier movement in the mouth, though brushing takes longer. You can't go wrong with either brand though.

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely worth it, but I'd also suggest supplementing the brush with some proxabrushes/interdental brushes. They're like toothpicks with brushes attached, and they come in a variety of sizes, and they'll hit everything that the electric toothbrush can't reach!

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I personally prefer the Oral B style brushes (head twists and vibrates) but both are a good alternative to regular brushes.

The Soniccare brush was a bit too buzzy, though. Brushing my teeth with that felt like biting onto the handle of a running lawn mower.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you really have to buy the uber-expensive $200 model.

I have been getting along with an Oral-B electric toothbrush that was only like $60 on Black Friday.

All you really have to do is make sure you get one with a timer on it so you can be sure you are spending adequate time brushing.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I love it but have to use a manual brush to reach my wisdom teeth.

Also, probably bad luck, I had two of them break on me in just 1 year. The cheaper one lasted me 2-3 years.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
You don't have to get the $200 version, that's the smart version.

My sonicare is probably the only reason I have teeth now.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Sonicarea regularly go on sale. I guarantee with Black Friday coming up there will be a ton of deals. You can get 3rd party brushheads for cheap as well. Once you go to an electric it's hard to go back.

Crispy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm quite pleased with my sonicare. People say my teeth look much whiter since using it. I do need to keep using toothpicks though, to get everything from between my teeth. So it's not a complete solution.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
$200? I think I purchased my Sonicare for like $30.
Yeah I think mine was maybe $40.

I had the premium one that I got for free (my sister is a dentist). I got it years ago and the only difference from my old one and new one is the old one did some kind of self cleaning.

Don't notice any difference on the brushing.

Pro-tip: you should still floss regularly

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
All of this. Got a Happy Brush (may only be available in Germany) for 30 EUR and they're a game changer already. I don't think you have to spend that much money.
I don't think what I said counts. Those are Sonicare heads in the same class (and therefore price) as Diamondclean. They just have different benefits but work just as well.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hi all! I went to the dentist today for a deep cleaning as apparently I am developing periodontal disease. It surprised me because I brush twice daily, waterpiq daily, and go to my dentist visit every 6 months. Apparently my brushing technique just flat out sucks and has sucked for 30 years, and I rarely floss. They suggested these SonicCare brushes, but to be honest dropping 200 on a toothbrush is a bit... excesive? Still, reviews online rave about it.

Anyone with experience using these toothbrushes? Is it worth the investment? I'll need to get two for me and the missus.

Did your dentist or hygienist talk to you about proper brushing technique. I've been using the modified bass technique since I was in college (plus flossing) and my dentist tells me my gums are sealed tight around my teeth like *schloooop* - that's a quote and the actual sound effect she used.

I also use one of the cheaper Philips Sonicare brushes. It cost about $70 three years ago. Making sure you hold your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle and make contact with both your gums and teeth at the same time is the most important part of brushing, according to my current and past dentist.

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
My guess is you're using the waterpik incorrectly and it doesn't surprise me. If everything you're doing was done correctly added w the 6 month dental exams u would have immaculate dental hygiene. (I always recommend flossing over waterpik cos it's easy for ppl to misuse them like the OP)

On topic tho yeah Sonicare is great

AlmostMilk

Oct 27, 2017
Got it as a gift about a year ago and had hated using electric toothbrushes. I had only used Oral B brushes before and hated the feel of them. This one feels more like a normal brush. After about 2 weeks of use I noticed a considerable different in the whiteness of my teeth. Have been using it for the year and my teeth are pretty much a natural white. I strongly recommend it to everybody.
The brush has an app?
It's not the best at tracking but it is incredibly useful in using a good technique.

OP
OP
Relix

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Damn great feedback here. You guys sold me in it. I'll visit Costco and see what stuff they have.
Did your dentist or hygienist talk to you about proper brushing technique. I've been using the modified bass technique since I was in college (plus flossing) and my dentist tells me my gums are sealed tight around my teeth like *schloooop* - that's a quote and the actual sound effect she used.

I also use one of the cheaper Philips Sonicare brushes. It cost about $70 three years ago. Making sure you hold your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle and make contact with both your gums and teeth at the same time is the most important part of brushing, according to my current and past dentist.
He didn't go further except that I wasn't brushing correctly and that at this moment a SonicCare was my best bet

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
My dental visits have gone so much better since I got one.

And I use cheep, off-brand brush heads on it without any issue.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Damn great feedback here. You guys sold me in it. I'll visit Costco and see what stuff they have.

He didn't go further except that I wasn't brushing correctly and that at this moment a SonicCare was my best bet

Why is he being all secretive about proper brushing technique!? The Sonicare probably has instructions on how to use it, so maybe he's counting on you to follow those.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Keep in mind that all new sonicare brushes have the same motor. All of them.
The cheapest model (essence +) doesn't use a lithium battery like all he other models though.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a regular soniccare and swear by it. I don't usually take it on trips and invariably regret it. It has a carrying case but it's bulkier than I care for.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
The entry level Sonicare's are more than fine and you can get third party heads on Amazon really cheap.

sonnyboy

Oct 25, 2017
Get the two pack from Costco and don't look back. I love mine. I had the diamond and the regular version, haven't noticed a difference.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Get one with a pressure sensor, that way you'll know you're doing it right since pushing too hard can damage your enamel over time.

Get soft to medium brushes. Hard brushes aren't good for your teeth. I use a soft brush in the morning and medium brush before bed.

Also, don't brush within 30-60 minutes after eating.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had the expensive one and switched to the cheap one when it broke. There's basically no difference to me unless for whatever reason you need like 10 different speeds to choose from.

Nov 14, 2017
Worth it. I eroded my gum line terribly. Dentist filled it all in so it looks fine, but turns out I'd been brushing too hard.

There are cheaper Sonicare brushes; I think I got mind for like £50 from my dentist? Still, it's amazing how good they are. You don't use any pressure and they are super effective.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I don't think quip is in the same category as a sonicare, at least that's not what the advice I got last time this was brought up here.

I used to buy the more expensive sonicare (whichever one costco would put on sale). But it's not the brush heads that are expensive, but the battery which would crap out within a couple of years and are super hard to replace. This last time around I just got a cheaper one on sale at Target because it's not like you get more longevity with the money you spend, and a lot of the features are cool but superfluous. I'd love to hear if others have longer lasting sonicares and what they do to maintain them.