• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Almost done with season 1, I'll agree that I don't find it hysterically funny but the characters are actually really fun to watch interact.

And I have to say, Daniel Levy is 🥵

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sometimes the dialogue just sparks something inside me. The delivery, stupidity, absurdity. Whatever, but it works.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
Almost done with season 1, I'll agree that I don't find it hysterically funny but the characters are actually really fun to watch interact.

And I have to say, Daniel Levy is 🥵
Hang in there. In my opinion this show has Parks and Rec syndrome - first season sucks, but it gets better after. It didn't feel like they exactly knew what to do with the characters in Season 1. I think the show really hits its stride part of the way into the second season, and everything after that is great. It goes from being an okayish sitcom to something truly special by the end.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
Hands down one of my favorite shows ever made, and it will scratch the lovable comedy itch that a lack of The Office may be leaving in your life right now on Netflix. First couple episodes may take some getting used to but it really is fantastic pretty much out of the gate.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
This is a great show to fall asleep to. I don't mean that as an insult, cuz I think the show is good. It's a real mellow, Canadian version of Arrested Development, and it's chillll.

Funny but not laugh out loud most of the time. You have Eugene Levy's ASMR-like vocal tone, no overly loud noises, the transition music is a soft tuba...it's really a comfy show to put on if you feel like dozing off. Try it, I'm not kidding

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The show is a family creation and by the end it feels like that. Its a very compassionate show that is funny and heartwarming. Probably one of the best last seasons i can remember. I would love a few more seasons.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This is a great show to fall asleep to. I don't mean that as an insult, cuz I think the show is good. It's a real mellow, Canadian version of Arrested Development, and it's chillll.

Funny but not laugh out loud most of the time. You have Eugene Levy's ASMR-like vocal tone, no overly loud noises, the transition music is a soft tuba...it's really a comfy show to put on if you feel like dozing off. Try it, I'm not kidding

Yes! The show is comforting.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
"Who knows what will befall us tomorrow, John? You could be hit by a Mack truck or bopped on the head by a tiny piece of space debris"

Moira can read a phone book and I'd crack up.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I know this is an old thread that was bumped, but this is legit one of my favorite shows of all time. I think its a shame that it takes until the season 2 finale to really "click," but once it does it is simply amazing.

It's also super important to me as a young gay man. It feels like the first time I've seen a queer male couple represented on screen and just... happy. Not problematic. Not tragic. Just happy and in love.

Also, as much as I love each and every character, I feel I could write a thesis on why Alexis is the beating heart of this show. I feel like she is super underrated.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
It is amazing show that is always funny and has a great redemptive arch for every character.

One of the GOAT sitcoms.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
6 seasons?! It looks funny, so I'll give it a go if people are comparing it to Arrested Development cause haven't been watching any comedies recently.

shinkie

Oct 26, 2017
I hated the family for the most part of season 1 but really warmed up quickly to them onwards and Alexis became my favourite character of them all in the end. I love the feel good nature of the show especially in these times.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I'm on season 5 now and I think it might be the best/funniest season yet. The episode where they run over the cat is so great.

The dynamic of the show is basically Moira, David, Alexis and Roland are just absolutely nuts and the funny situations that ensue when everyone else interacts with them.

Last edited:

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on season 5 now and I think it might be the best/funniest season yet. The episode where they run over the cat is so great.

The dynamic of the show is basically Maura, David, Alexis and Roland are just absolutely nuts and the funny situations that ensue when everyone else interacts with them.

6 might be my favorite. It really finished strong where I wanted more.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the series. I have to say I never envisioned myself tearing up at this show, but the fast few season really hit me in the feels.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
We just started watching this last weekend and we're almost at Season 3, and I think I like it. The actors are all incredible. I'm a Canadian guy who grew up on SCTV, and have always loved Eugene and Catherine, but honestly, SCTV was never this funny. I can't get over David and Alexis. They are so emotive. So cartoonish. In fact all the characters are so cartoonish. All the performances from the Roses especially.
I love the refrain of "Why are you yelling?".

I really didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I am. I watched some episodes from the first season when it was first on on CBC, but I couldn't find the humor. It grows on you though. Feels weird posting this after they won all those awards and accolades, but people who are on the fence should probably check this out.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
It's really good and goes from awkward, cynical comedy to genuinely heart-warming, feel-good television.

It's like if Arrested Development had character development. (I love both shows but they serve different functions)

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
My wife adores this show. Loves every character.

It's fine

edit: she just rewatched the episode where that guy sings simply the best to the other guy, I don't even know their names and I thought it was very moving.

sweet show

Last edited:

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I like it a lot and I have no idea why. Definitely agree about it being a comfort show.

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it, it's funny. But I hate all the characters, basically. They're so deeply unlikeable and I never was able to get into beyond the surface level. A story about a bunch of rich assholes going to live in a city filled with middle class assholes didn't really endear itself to me.

Stevie is good tho.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I enjoyed it, it's funny. But I hate all the characters, basically. They're so deeply unlikeable and I never was able to get into beyond the surface level. A story about a bunch of rich assholes going to live in a city filled with middle class assholes didn't really endear itself to me.

Stevie is good tho.

Weird take to me. First off I don't think SC is supposed to represent "the middle class" but that's kind of irrelevant. You're not necessarily supposed to like the Rose family but it's not like they're evil and straight-up shitty rich people from start to finish. The whole thing of them being oblivious, shallow and self-indulgent, making fun of it but also showing how they evolve as they spend more time there is supposed to be the point and attempts to make it funny and I think succeeds 100% on all fronts.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I was basically forced to watch this show by a group of bartenders who started saying my name like Alexis (my name just so happens to be "David"). They bought this for me:

david_mugjyku3.jpg

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great show, and it's great how the characters grow and evolve during the seasons. It also has a surprising amount of genuine moments that elevates the series past the just a silly comedy type of show.

It starts slow, but once it finds its rhythm it only gets better and better. It's also one the most quotable series ever. My partner and I quote it literaly every day. Nom nom for us, David.

6 seasons?! It looks funny, so I'll give it a go if people are comparing it to Arrested Development cause haven't been watching any comedies recently.

You can literally watch a whole season in a single seating. The episodes are super short.

Oct 27, 2017
Weird take to me. First off I don't think SC is supposed to represent "the middle class" but that's kind of irrelevant. You're not necessarily supposed to like the Rose family but it's not like they're evil and straight-up shitty rich people from start to finish. The whole thing of them being oblivious, shallow and self-indulgent, making fun of it but also showing how they evolve as they spend more time there is supposed to be the point and attempts to make it funny and I think succeeds 100% on all fronts.
Middle class or not, I thought a lot of the residents of the titular Schitts Creek were pretty shitty and unlikeable. Maybe that was the point?

And I had a hard time finding anything to like about the Roses. I found it impossible to buy into a story about a bunch of rich assholes needing to become good people. Just couldn't care less.

So I wasn't able to connect to any characters and viewed it purely superficially for the jokes, which were pretty funny admittedly.

None of this applies to Stevie though, she's great. Would rather have a show about her.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Wife watches it so I've seen a few episodes, but I just do not engage with comedies.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great show.

The fact that three of the characters elevate - sometimes rather 'ordinary' dialogue - by acting the hell out of it (Moira's accent, David's ... Davidness, but also Alexis, when she's doing her best to keep up the facade of her friendly face even though she's sad / disgusted)

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Weird as it sounds, I like the show despite not finding it very funny. I get a laugh out of it from time to time but I mostly just watch it because I enjoy the characters. Moira and Alexis are my favourites.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The show becomes way better for me in the last year as the Roses become more humanised and likeable as a result.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
did anyone notice... I think in maybe the last 4 episodes or so, it looks like they started shooting the show on high end movie cameras or something? Like the show looks noticeably different in the final few episodes. Maybe it was actually the entire last season?

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I watched 6 episodes and waited to laugh

didn't hit my funny bone but it's amusing I guess

Oct 26, 2017
yeah I binged this recently and loved it, just good vibes from this show and cast. took a while to get into though as one character looks exactly like an ex of mine and turns out that's really distracting

brotherbean

Oct 26, 2017
I wish I had Moira's vocabulary. The way she talks is a word nerd's dream.

...and I'll take a few of David's sweaters too.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
How long do you have to stick with it until it clicks? It's on a subscription service I usually wouldn't use here in Germany and I've tried two or three episodes while I had it for some other content but sadly I couldn't really get into it. Seemed average to me. Not offensively bad but certainly not in the league of Arrested Development or Parks & Rec..

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Weird as it sounds, I like the show despite not finding it very funny. I get a laugh out of it from time to time but I mostly just watch it because I enjoy the characters. Moira and Alexis are my favourites.

I get this. The show rarely made me laugh but I stillill enjoyed it. And in the later seasons I mostly stuck around for David and Patrick's relationship.