• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
It has some really good hysterical moments scattered throughout. Catherine is really good in this, she delivers most of the zingers. Plus everyone is fairly likeable even if they are meant to be assholes.
I've watched the first season and apart from the end of the first episode nothing really made me laugh out loud. What are some hysterical moments in the first season for you?

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
I've watched the first season and apart from the end of the first episode nothing really made me laugh out loud. What are some hysterical moments in the first season for you?
I've watched 2 seasons and it's not a show about hysterical parts, it's more subdued utility I think it starts hitting its stride in season 2 when the family really starts to integrate with the town and the people more as they start to find their places in it.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I'm 7 or so episodes in. For me it's one of those shows that is humorous but not typically laugh out loud funny. The characters and their interactions are fun to watch and the main draw.

Did they hire the same sound guy as Curb? The horn sound between scenes is so Curb.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm 7 or so episodes in. For me it's one of those shows that is humorous but not typically laugh out loud funny. The characters and their interactions are fun to watch and the main draw.

Did they hire the same sound guy as Curb? The horn sound between scenes is so Curb.

Keep watching. The show has a ton of heart.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
It's a solid show, but it never really... I don't know... Goes for more than it is? We basically watch it as fluff and as that it's enjoyable.

A few laughs, nothing too important is ever missed.

My only pet peeve has been the town it self. This hick town isolated from City Life is like a hot spot for LGBT+ folks and somehow can sustain a high end Beauty and food store?

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Wife and I finished it a couple weeks ago. I liked it but couldn't binge it. I'll probably never watch it again but I enjoyed my time overall.

Zutter

Oct 19, 2018
One of my favorite shows ever.

Moira's accent is also the greatest thing ever created. My friends and I are always talking like her.

TASTokyo

Nov 8, 2017
Great show. As others have said not a flat out comedy. More like a drama with some funny parts.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
Currently on season 4, it's so damn funny. David is my favorite.

It's a shame real life small american towns are nothing like as depicted in the show.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This show is funny. Arrested Development used to be my fave but they clearly didn't want the title after S3.

Everyone in this family is funny, Roland and his wife are too.

Sep 14, 2019
I really enjoy the show, but the more I rewatch, the more annoying David and Patrick become for me.

Alexis is my favorite and has the best character development on the show.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Yeah I would agree with everything here but would add that aAlexis got a lot better as the show went on. The first couple seasons she was horrible and semi-irredeemable but they saved her character later on in the shows run and made her great.
Absolutely! They all did well coming out of their situation, but Alexis is the one that really shone. There were varying layers of growth for the rest of the family but she is definitely the example to look to. It was a shame she and Ted didn't end up together but what a proud moment it was for her when she realised she wanted to go it alone, not even accepting a handout to help.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017

I recently finished Season 2, and it took a long time for me to get there. I stopped watching season 1 about halfway, then picked it back up again and it was slightly better. Looking back, I can't really think of any hysterically funny moments in season 1 aside from Catherine O'Hara actively being hysterical with her own character. Season 2 was a lot better, where the family starts branching out and really embracing the town and its quirks head-on.

I haven't had a chance to watch season 3 past epsiode 1, but I'm going to stick with the show moving forward. It's gotten a lot better, and I think being familiar with the characters and their quirks makes it funnier.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's great easy comfort watching. On the 5th season at the moment. Moira is the best.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
We are mid season three and really enjoying it for the most part.
Can be quite cringy at times though...
And every episode I change my mind as to which character is more challenged by the real world.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
They'd been purposely vague about it initially, but eventually confirmed that it's supposed to be a Canadian town.

Based on the first two seasons, my understanding is that they're in an American town. The references to politics they made have been America-specific, or so I understood it to be.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
I really enjoy the show, but the more I rewatch, the more annoying David and Patrick become for me.

Alexis is my favorite and has the best character development on the show.

I binged this show over a few weeks - what a fantastic series. Dan Levy did a great job, I have to assume that a lot of the inclusivity and LGBTQ+ scenes and dialogue were pushed from him.

One of the best series I've seen and I really grew to love all the main characters.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Finished season 6 and what a great show. Love all the arcs and will miss them all. Moria will forever crack me up and I love how Johnny adores her and his fam.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Part way through season 5 and really enjoying it. Eugene Levy's facial expressions are always great and Alexis and David are great. Moira ranges from hilarious to unbearable for me, which I guess is the goal.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
I like how the dad does the dumbass sitcom dad thing, but he somehow very specifically does it in a way that a (formerly) rich one would. Like making up combos at the diner and not seeing a problem with it, super dumb but not like Homer Simpson dumb.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
Part way through season 5 and really enjoying it. Eugene Levy's facial expressions are always great and Alexis and David are great. Moira ranges from hilarious to unbearable for me, which I guess is the goal.

There were a few episodes I had to pause and look up the words she used just because of how awesome the character is, really good writing and great acting too.

My bebe

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
It's a shame real life small american towns are nothing like as depicted in the show.
My only pet peeve has been the town it self. This hick town isolated from City Life is like a hot spot for LGBT+ folks and somehow can sustain a high end Beauty and food store?

I grew up in, and am currently back living at, one of these isolated hick towns. The show's representation is more accurate and realistic than you're giving it credit for. We have a large trans and LGBT community here, plenty of boutique shops that have been around for years, and a ton of idiot racist Trumpers!

Based on the first two seasons, my understanding is that they're in an American town. The references to politics they made have been America-specific, or so I understood it to be.

While the Roses are American, the town is inarguably in Canada. It's explicitly shown and stated as such multiple times throughout the series.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
Currently on season 4, it's so damn funny. David is my favorite.

Likely because it's not an American town. Mostly all the actors are canadian, and the town is supposed to be a small canadian town.

Not sure why American's love to assume everything is American :P

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Schitt's Creek is so wholesome in the most hilarious way. Comfort food tv and my personal all time favorite show.

There are a lot of jokes that I love, but some of my favorites are David's 'colostomy bag pants' and "My best to Bob Cratchit" lol.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While the Roses are American, the town is inarguably in Canada. It's explicitly shown and stated as such multiple times throughout the series.
From what I recall, it's never explicitly shown or stated (unless the version I watched on Netflix has content cut). They never show Canadian flags, mailboxes, license plates, money, or anything. It's a show that technically takes place in Canada but very deliberately hides it.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I grew up in, and am currently back living at, one of these isolated hick towns. The show's representation is more accurate and realistic than you're giving it credit for. We have a large trans and LGBT community here, plenty of boutique shops that have been around for years, and a ton of idiot racist Trumpers!

Im not even sure theyre American, the first episode pretty sure the CRA showed up, not the IRS.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Great show, but now that The Office is off of Netflix I fear that I'll have to watch it constantly with every new person I meet.

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I just started it. Seems pretty good so far, but not that funny yet. I think I'll stick with it for a while.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

A bunch of current NBA players lived in the actual "Rose" Motel before the show. They were even there when the show started filming. The owner bought it to house young NBA prospects for a nearby facility.

"And then they told us a couple of years ago that the show they filmed is on Netflix, it's called 'Schitt's Creek.' So one day I took the time to watch it, and it's really cool to watch them pull up to where I lived every single day and to be in our rooms. The main room they show them is the room Jamal and I lived in."

"It's in the middle of nowhere," he said of the motel. "The place looks a little run down. It wasn't the best situation. It was like sulfa water coming through the taps; so it smelled like rotten eggs all the time. It was an experience."

www.sun-sentinel.com

NBA Finals bubble no issue: Heat player previously lived in ‘Schitt’s Creek’ motel

When it comes to “Schitt’s Creek,” the breakout television comedy that swept this year’s Emmy Awards, no one needs to fill in Miami Heat forward Kyle Alexander on the premis…

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The police officer that interviews Stevie and David is clearly Canadian. I don't think it goes out of its way to specify one way or the other in too obvious a way, but it also doesn't hide the fact that it's set in Canada.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to ask about that. The first episode just seemed mean and not funny so we stopped. Guess I should pick it back up?
Yes, the Roses and townspeople start getting along much better and that makes it a more enjoyable and less abrasive show, IMO. There's a good moment in, IIRC, the 3rd season that shows just how much the Roses have changed in terms of their old life to new life.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
A friend was over that loves it. Watched the first few eps with her, it was a 6/10. I don't get the big appeal unless it gets drastically better later on.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
I'm halfway way through season 2. I like the characters but it's not really laugh out loud funny. I must be the only person who is irritated by Moira's accent too.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I watched the first 2 episodes and it didn't really grab me. Maybe it's just not my sense of humor, but I didn't find it all that funny.