• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a little bit of AMC stock last night thinking "Oh yeah, theaters will come back one day. Why not?"

Woke up today and trading is frozen.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how many of these stocks are being pumped up by people on Reddit (presumably the people on Wall Street Bets), I'm expecting the SEC would be very interested in what's going on over there. Pump and dump is very much illegal and if some of the WSB people took positions in these stocks before pumping them up, they could be tracked down and arrested.
Pump and Dump is a supply side stock phenomena.

GME is a demand event.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I saw mentions of AMC and AMCX, which one are we talking about possibly going though the roof right now?

Technically I thiiiiink AMCX was the over-shorted one (I'm still not 100% sure), but somewhere along the line the meme/hype was pointing to AMC, so that's where all the trading is (or was, given the halts) happening.

But AMC just sold off a shitton of its shares into the market, so any squeeze is gonna be tough(er) regardless.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Naked Brand Group Ltd. operates as an apparel and swimwear company.

drink them trunks

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Eh put 100€ into AMC. I am willing to lose that for this experiment but after that it's back to my safe ETF.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck it, put a few hundred dollars I didn't need into GME in advance of Friday. I can afford to lose it. Lets see where this train goes

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Nah too much fomo for me personally.

I don't expect the percent gain to go much higher than currently (over $300) and not more than 2x in the near term without a pull back.

Especially if you don't plan for going long term on the stock you pay a lot of gains back in taxes.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Nah too much fomo for me personally.

I don't expect the percent gain to go much higher than currently and not more than 2x in the near term without a pull back.

Especially if you don't plan for going long term on the stock you pay a lot of gains back in taxes.
I'm going to let it get to like 1.5x and then set a limit back at like 0.75x when I think the fluctuations might not drop it so low. Its definitely still risky, but I at least feel comfortable that I won't lose my shirt

drwin

Dec 7, 2019
Can someone please explain what happens to Gamestop when the joke dies and the stock comes back down to reality? Any long term impacts on the company's health?
That's when all the people who thought they were playing the hedge funds find out they are the one being played. I think people largely accept that day to day market swings are irrelevant to the actual company.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Manipulating the market to stop market manipulation (from the wrong people)

Seriously though fuck this

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Are they going to start halting trading every time some random "expert" on a large financial news show recommends a stock and it trends?

Oct 30, 2017
Why are Reddit users buying GME? Is it to screw over the short sellers when they're obligated to buy back the shares but now at a higher price?