• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
This is fascinating stuff and I'm sure it will fuck plenty of average folk trying to get rich quick BUT seeing what it is doing to hedge funds is joyous to say the least. I fear that the subreddit will now be infested by people trying to pump stocks. This will also probably make these investment groups much more wary of shorting which imo is a bullshit practice. It's all very interesting.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Bought 11 stocks for $145 yesterday, sold for $300.

With that said, don't invest money you can't afford losing.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all in on AMC.

I always wanted to try this, but I'm just going to invest with what I can afford to lose which is like $50 atm

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
AMC worried me too much because that seems to be the go to for everyone.

Went 50/50 with NOK and EXPR just for the hell of it.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
i support fucking with the markets traditional gate keepers but why does it have to be shit companies like gamestop and amc

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Threw ~45 at NOK for fun, maybe walk away with a few extra bucks. I'm not ballsy enough to even go triple digits.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
I jumped in with a Market Order for open on Monday, got 6 shares at $97.50. Sold two today to cover the cost of entry. So have 4 tickets on this ride.

I really wonder where it will go, since it appears hedge funds are shorting still, with calls for Friday being sold still. Lookjng forward to Friday/Monday.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I put 60 and have just been staring at the "your market value" number go up and down. I can't imagine looking at those numbers with actual tens or hundreds of thousands on the line lol

yeah no way am I putting real money into this. I just took 40 out of my fun money account. If I manage to make a little money, cool. If not, nbd

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
Can someone please explain what happens to Gamestop when the joke dies and the stock comes back down to reality? Any long term impacts on the company's health?

rcg0191

Jul 7, 2020
Gamestop has to be planning a share offering at this point, I'm surprised it hasn't been announced already.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got a Robinhood account a few months ago. They gave me AMC as my free stock. Me and my friends laughed at my funny little misfortune for getting a dying and struggling company as a free stock.

I am now up 13 dollars! Retirement here I come!

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Considering how many of these stocks are being pumped up by people on Reddit (presumably the people on Wall Street Bets), I'm expecting the SEC would be very interested in what's going on over there. Pump and dump is very much illegal and if some of the WSB people took positions in these stocks before pumping them up, they could be tracked down and arrested.

Nesotenso

Oct 26, 2017
What sort of analytics resources do these retail investors use to find which stocks are being heavily shorted by institutional investors?

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how many of these stocks are being pumped up by people on Reddit (presumably the people on Wall Street Bets), I'm expecting the SEC would be very interested in what's going on over there. Pump and dump is very much illegal and if some of the WSB people took positions in these stocks before pumping them up, they could be tracked down and arrested.

What exactly is Pump and Dump and why is it Illegal?

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The hedge fund was shorting more shares than existed. There's blatant manipulation and it's certainly not from a bunch of posters....buying (and holding) stocks.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
0e1np2wouw061.jpg

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Pump and dump is very much illegal and if some of the WSB people took positions in these stocks before pumping them up, they could be tracked down and arrested.

What are they 'misleading' about insofar as actively giving misleading information/claims as it relates to artificially pumping?

They're being fully transparent about their 'rationale' for buying in (a little of over-shorting, a lot of spite/fuck you wall street)

A short squeeze isn't a pump and dump, it's a response to the short-sellers being (especially in this case) vastly-overcommitted to their shorting.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Do you work on Wallstreet?

Why

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
What exactly is Pump and Dump and why is it Illegal?
i have a bunch of stocks of something

i say hey you should buy this its definitely going to go through the roof

i get a bunch of people to buy those stocks

the price goes up because of people buying it

i sell all my stocks at the higher price and make lots of money

now the price is low because i sold and all the other people have lost lots of money

its a common stock market scam but im not quite sure if it fits here in this instance

you have to show that people made false statements and stuff but this is just a bunch of randos on the internet all buying together, not the wolf of wall street

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me...I can now afford to get stock again, new job.

Dayum I wish I had been paying attention to this....

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do my reckless gambling on Neoprts, part of me just can't pull the trigger here in real life for moral reasons and it makes me sad and mad :(

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Is it illegal for someone to tell their friends they like a stock?

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
I'm good. I don't like Gamestop and I also don't want to be a guy in the position of getting screwed over when everyone finally decides to sell.