• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What was your experience like?
How many people showed up?
Where did you place?
Was there prize money and how was it distributed?
Any crazy people get mad after losing?

Asking because my town has one and I thought about trying it out

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I went to a launch-event tournament for Brawl and came in third. I don't think I would ever attend a real tournament though.

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017
People go to smash tourney to hang out and play smash. Typically if you're asking these questions you don't have a shot to win, but it could be a good chance to find some like minded people to play with.

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People go to smash tourney to hang out and play smash. Typically if you're asking these questions you don't have a shot to win, but it could be a good chance to find some like minded people to play with.
I'm asking these questions because I've never been to one before lol, don't know what that has to do with winning or losing

Fledge

Oct 27, 2017
I've run smash tournaments at a local game store where i work. A good tournament is when the atmosphere is fun and people are having a good time. In my experience it doesn't get too heated because nobody wants to look like an ass in their local town.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
Just go for fun, do not expect to win. Most events have side games going on for casual play too. It is a great way to get to know your local FGC and even more it is a way to support your local FGC.
To answer your questions it was $10 fee for a few different games, won first round, got merc'd my next two rounds and was out but was a great time. Just expect some people to take it way too seriously and do not let them wreck your zen.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
Way, way back when, I went to a local anime convention and got to the quarterfinals in a melee competition.

It's not really an accomplishment, it's not like people were wavedashing all over the place or anything like that, but it was still pretty fun. I remember there was an entry fee, but I don't remember how much it was, and I don't remember how many people entered. Maybe 100 or so?

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
Where did you place?

Been to a few.

They're fun, usually chill atmosphere. People are there to play games regardless, everyone is open to friendlies and most spend there time chatting with people they already know. I've never made it far into the tournaments I've played haha.

For the tournaments I've been to it's been under 40 people.

I placed... like.... let's not talk about that one ;)

There were prizes in all that I've been, if it's a local it was cash that they hand to you.

People don't get mad as long as you treat them with respect. I absolutely bodied this guy on stream who entered but didn't even know the controls and he just said "well, back to COD, maybe next time" in good spirits. Everyone is chill, people will discuss the matches if you want after from what I've seen.

Go! Give it a shot! Don't expect to blitz through folks, go there for the fun of the experience.

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just go for fun, do not expect to win. Most events have side games going on for casual play too. It is a great way to get to know your local FGC and even more it is a way to support your local FGC.
To answer your questions it was $10 fee for a few different games, won first round, got merc'd my next two rounds and was out but was a great time. Just expect some people to take it way too seriously and do not let them wreck your zen.
Yea it would just be for fun, I feel like I'm at a point where I'm good enough to atleast able to place better than last, I've beaten people that have 2,000 hrs playtime etc

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Great. Lots of crazy good players, I played the guy that won twice and he was crazy good.
40?
Where did you place?
2nd in the doubles and like.... 16th in singles lol
I think everyone put in $5, and I think it was winner take all.
Nah, it was pretty chill.

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Great. Lots of crazy good players, I played the guy that won twice and he was crazy good.
40?
Where did you place?
2nd in the doubles and like.... 16th in singles lol
I think everyone put in $5, and I think it was winner take all.
Nah, it was pretty chill.
So only first place got the money?

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Played melee for years in the Rocky mountain scene. Generally placed around 5th locally, top 16 elsewhere, largest tourney had.... 170 attendants I think?

Had a great time. Loved going to and hosting tournies.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I had a chance to go to one years ago when Melee was the latest game in the series but I chose to opt out of it.

Never went to a gaming event at all.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
best thing about locals is meeting people who may or may not live closer than you think, and who love playing fighting games

if it's your first tournament, try not to get too nervous and just do your best. locals are great for learning, and depending on how chill everyone is you can get some great advice from people

and above everything else, have fun! see if you can make some friends!

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I entered a Melee tournament for Brawl's launch a while back hosted by my local video game place that's no longer there. Got my ass kicked.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Where did you place?

Did locals for ages for fun after I stopped playing and picked up rocket league competitively, it was fun and a legitimately nice group of 5 or 10 people that I became good friends with and can still message to hang out years later. We usually had 30 to 75, depending on the week and if there was a major coming up around us. I placed anywhere between last and top 16 lmfao.

The prize? Well, the entry fee after venue was usually 5-10 for the pot with something like 50-25-10-10% etc going to 1st 2nd etc, the splits in smash kinda suck and its not profitable, especially since you'd just have a top 75 player in the world just drive to your local and farm their $150 for the goodwill of practice (this is really common and people want the practice so no one really cares tbh). Some locals just did a really uneven split among the top 3 or just top 1/2, because anything lower was pretty much change.

Anyways, nolife endless grind games with high skill ceilings attract a bunch of weirdos. I play rocket league now which you need kinda...I dunno, 2500 hours MINIMUM if you're lucky and get a team with good synergy, but really 4000-6000 hours to be a pro nowadays? Any game that requires that much time for a CHANCE at getting a salary is going to attract degenerates or nolifers who don't have social skills, and melee is even worse pay for even less people, so yeah, it attracts a bunch of normal people and weirdos. So while most are chill when they lose, yeah, theres going to be salty as shit or angry or just downright weird people on losses.

I went to smash n splash 2018 with a bunch of pros because of friends and holy shit the amount of downright socially awkward people who went up to mew2king and asked him for something as everyone in the group winced hurt.

Way, way back when, I went to a local anime convention and got to the quarterfinals in a melee competition.

It's not really an accomplishment, it's not like people were wavedashing all over the place or anything like that, but it was still pretty fun. I remember there was an entry fee, but I don't remember how much it was, and I don't remember how many people entered. Maybe 100 or so?

Reminding me of casual events at anime expo where winner stays. We left lucky there at like 1pm and came back at 5pm and it wasn't until leffen beat him that he got off.
It's amusing how crazy the skill gaps are.

Last edited:

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I entered tournaments at my university a few times. I never won but I did fairly well. After I graduated some of the best players in the state started showing up and I had no chance lol

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Trolling
Aren't smash local players regularly weirdos? And stinky too?

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
Smash tournaments can be addicting. I recommend trying to get as many friendlies as you can in as it's your opportunity to find players that take it as seriously or un-seriously as you. I've probably been in over 50 Melee tournaments and a handful of Ultimate tournaments.

If you're entering ultimate just don't take too much stock in your GSP, offline is a different game, things that are safe online or hard to punish online are much easier offline.

Don't expect to win and focus on meeting new people.

If you can take a friend that can help too and ease any anxiety of being around strangers. It's also fun to root for friends and be rooted for. Just don't end up playing friendlies with people you know. I met so many people that loved my style or I loved their style that we became life long friends etc.

Also, don't be jaded, if you feel the passion, go all in and play more and try to get better. It's easy to troll people for caring about something, but I don't think anything beats the feeling of winning a tournament or placing well after a super fun and intense match. If you're fighting from a disadvantage of 3 to 1 stocks and you will yourself to play better and smarter than you ever have to pull off that victory, it's an incredible feeling.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be honest, this is maybe one of the worst forums to expect positive/useful responses regarding competitive Smash and you'll get a bunch of trolls.

Surprisingly more positive than expected though there's still a few people farming attention who are only here to bring you down.

Maybe one of these days if I ever lose my sense of smell.
Aren't smash local players regularly weirdos? And stinky too?

Just ignore this type of childish behavior and have fun with it. Locals are amazing.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
ye legit average player is normal, theres always weirdos in every scene

Pretty sure the site we all came from had a weirder rep than the smash community, we all know that wasn't everyone by any means.

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Smash tournaments can be addicting. I recommend trying to get as many friendlies as you can in as it's your opportunity to find players that take it as seriously or un-seriously as you. I've probably been in over 50 Melee tournaments and a handful of Ultimate tournaments.

If you're entering ultimate just don't take too much stock in your GSP, offline is a different game, things that are safe online or hard to punish online are much easier offline.

Don't expect to win and focus on meeting new people.

If you can take a friend that can help too and ease any anxiety of being around strangers. It's also fun to root for friends and be rooted for. Just don't end up playing friendlies with people you know. I met so many people that loved my style or I loved their style that we became life long friends etc.

Also, don't be jaded, if you feel the passion, go all in and play more and try to get better. It's easy to troll people for caring about something, but I don't think anything beats the feeling of winning a tournament or placing well after a super fun and intense match. If you're fighting from a disadvantage of 3 to 1 stocks and you will yourself to play better and smarter than you ever have to pull off that victory, it's an incredible feeling.
Yea smash ultimate is now officially the most hrs I've ever put into a mutliplayer game, currently at 400 hrs, 2nd place is dota 2 at 330 hrs

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I went to the local tournament here a few times for Melee. It was kind of awkward though because I was quite a bit older than nearly everyone there and didn't really know anybody. Made it hard to connect with people. If not for that I probably would have kept going. There was prize money from the entry fees but only a few top players are ever going to see it.

In terms of people, generally "more than there was space for." Don't know how it is now, but this was around Smash 4's launch and PM was still a pretty big deal. Melee, PM, and Smash 4 all got 30-40 entrants, with Melee and PM having near 100% overlap and Smash 4 only having maybe 50%.

I don't know what my best placement was but I went 3-2 once in Melee. Won in "round 0" which was basically the overflow above 32 players to even out the bracket, took a single stock off the #1 player in the state on my way to getting demolished, then won a couple losers matches before barely dropping the third one. My Falco now is way better than my Sheik was back then so I think I could probably do better.

Saw a guy get pissed off in PM, throw his controller and yell about it, and refused to accept the loss because he was "clearly better" and got cheesed. TO kicked the guy out and told him not to come back.

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well if anyone here has placed at a decent spot in a tournament I would like to vs you sometime in ultimate arenas just to see how i would do against a tournament player

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I won a random teamup doubles tournament in March. Played as Ike and my partner was Ness.

Just a casual tournament, and I've since moved on from Ike almost entirely.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Played and TO'd for a while

As a player, my experience was mostly positive. I was never really good enough to make it far in, but it was always nice getting to play in pools and the fun I got out of it all was enough to keep me going back even though I'd get curbstomped not too far into the brackets. Most locals I went to were small, but the biggest one (the one I ended up TO'ing for a couple years) was in the hundreds.

As a TO, my experience was generally poor. I wasn't particularly great at it, but I wasn't bad at it either. It required a lot of learning on the spot due to the nature of how I was thrust into the position of TOing events, and the playerbase was largely unhelpful on that front. I had to eventually stop providing my own personal equipment to the tournaments after the last straw of players snapping off the gc controller port cover on my launch Wii (which was only a few months old at the time). Craziest story of somebody reacting poorly to a loss was the person who actually landed in second place during one of my earlier tournaments as TO who demanded that he get an equal prize to the winner because he claimed he only lost due to a technical failure that he claimed wasn't his fault (it was) after we and the winner had already decided to redo the entire set out of fairness even though it was clear he was going to lose anyway.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
Saw a guy get pissed off in PM, throw his controller and yell about it, and refused to accept the loss because he was "clearly better" and got cheesed. TO kicked the guy out and told him not to come back.

Rare, but this does happen from time to time, usually it's a newcomer that hasn't played against people that are actually competitive and are noobgated. I was considered a gate keeper for a long time in Melee. I was a Ganon main usually ranked around 5th in AZ back in the day, before 2010. Newcomers hated losing to me and would always challenge my placing.Back then we would do round robins pretty regularly in Tucson to earn/keep your spot and it was fun, but a lot of heated egos.

Smash can be very anime.

Now a days I only see that kind of toxicity from people that are used to tea bagging opponents online in Ultimate. They either become normal or get kicked.

Well if anyone here has placed at a decent spot in a tournament I would like to vs you sometime in ultimate arenas just to see how i would do against a tournament player

Like GSP this won't mean much, but it will give you an idea on if you're decent at edge guarding and have good fundamentals.

However, I would recommend fighting people on Smash ladder.

Last edited:

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Once in my college dorm with Melee. We would hold fighting games tournaments frequently. This one was a team tourney 2 vs 2. Me and my roommate won with the team of Ganondorf (me) and Link (roommate). He was really good and kinda carried me in the last fight.

It was cool. I think we won like $30 or something. It was like a $2 entrance fee and the winner walks away with the cash. So we got Quiznos to celebrate.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There was a mini tournament (like 10-15 people) at my college, I was the first one to lose because I'm garbage at Smash but I still had a lot of fun hanging out afterwards. I think the prize money was $100?

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Like GSP this won't mean much, but it will give you an idea on if you're decent at edge guarding and have good fundamentals.

However, I would recommend fighting people on Smash ladder.
The main people I have trouble with are ranged characters, Simon, link, mega man, mii gunner etc, I do pretty good against everyone else

I just can't deal with spammed ranged attacks very well lol

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I won the release night Brawl tournament then got 2nd for the regional because they gave me the busted display wii remote to play with.

I've entered I think 2 local PM tournaments and lost the first match.

Toad King

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I go to a local weekly a couple times a month. I'm lucky that my local scene is huge and we get 100+ people at a weekly, but most other places range anywhere from 20 - 60 people.

Most places have you pay 5 dollar venue fee + 5 dollars for the pot.

Only placed high enough to win money once, and it just paid for my venue + pot fee.

If you're going for your first time just know that you'll probably go 0-2. I recommend getting there early since there will most likely be people there early you can play friendly matches with. Also most people are nice so just chat with them.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
My campus holds weeklies for Melee and Ultimate, I've placed second a few times. It's a less friendly scene than it was in my hometown, honestly. More cliquey somehow.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I played in a Brawl tournament with a friend once while I was in college but did pretty horribly. The people there were way above my league, which was pretty humbling. Haven't played in another tournament since then, though.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
The main people I have trouble with are ranged characters, Simon, link, mega man, mii gunner etc, I do pretty good against everyone else

I just can't deal with spammed ranged attacks very well lol

Yeah, that's everyone lol. Haha. I hate like half the roster in Ultimate.

My biggest win from an event was a Melee tournament before the Wii released at a GameStop.

Only myself and a friend new advanced techniques like wave dashing and L canceling. We had to play on laggy setups with free for all rules.

Dominated all my matches. I had the whole crowd in my favor by the end of it because I played Ganon. It was just me and a Luigi, 1 v 1 on Green Greens with items on. Just down air spiked him all his stocks without losing one. Easiest tournament I ever played in. Won a Wii and Brawl. It was a cool experience. The only reason I was there was because I met someone through Melee 2 years prior. He moved back to Oklahoma and I was planning on flying there to hang out anyway. Since it was located in a small town's mall there were probably like 140-200 people there. 1 match rounds, free for all matches, items on. Thankfully in Melee, it's pretty easy to fight 1 v 2 or 1 v 3 because of all the movement options so I would just slide around landing finishing forward airs and throwing items. If the TVs weren't laggy AF it would have also been really fun, but it was just kind of meh.

Competitive events are fun because of the level of competition and challenging yourself to improve.