• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
My son was a NICU baby.

He was actually late at 42 weeks so they had to induce labor.

Something went wrong and the baby's heart rate shot up to over 200bpm. An infection of some sort.

So it became an emergency C-section. He was born with a lot of fluid in his lungs so he was in the NICU for a few days on antibiotics as they were worried it's pneumonia.

Oct 27, 2017
I saw the part about your baby being in the 5th percentile and was worried but from the pic (since I don't know much about baby weight percentiles), but he doesn't look small for a premie. Looks similar to my younger brother was a month early but he's always been the tallest kid in his class (he's 12 now). I think he was just past the deadline for being in the NICU though.

You'll probably spend the first year or two obsessed with feeding him as much as possible but your stress will gradually go down once the hospital gives you the okay to go home.

ss1

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a child that was looked after in NICU, but my Computer Science PhD was based in the domain of NICU and I spent three months working in a Scottish NICU ward conducting research. So I have direct first hand experiences being there as well a bit of understanding and appreciation of the medical care involved.

The thing that I took away from being there is that parents who have a baby in NICU will live day to day for their baby having good days when their baby is growing and less dependent on ventilation. However, the stress of having a child in ICU or HDU can be very high especially for the babies born very prematurely. The noise of the machines beeping and the sound of ventilators pumping air will always stay with me along with a deep appreciation of the incredible work done by the doctors and nurses.

andylsun

Oct 29, 2017
I was born 12 weeks early (1lb 13oz). Was in whatever the 1970's equivalent of the NICU for 3 months. Left hospital pretty much on my due date. Wishing the best for your all and your baby. I've had no major medical issues since then.

My dad was up a mountain when I was born and they had to send a telegram to notify him to come back to the hospital.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I was a NICU baby. Mom had to have an emergency C-section and even though I was only like, two weeks early, I had this weird infection / rash thing so they put me in the unit. Didn't get to go home for two weeks but my mom was fine and I think I turned out okay.

Your son is beautiful, OP, and I'm glad he and your wife are doing well. Soon you'll be able to bring him home :)

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
My country only has one NICU in the entire country (about 55 miles away from our local hospital). Like you, everything was going fine until my wife complained about feeling discomfort. We went to the hospital and to our surprise she was already 8cm dilated. It was too late to transfer her to the other hospital. They delivered my baby girl at 28 weeks, 3lbs. She fought for 3 hours and then passed away. Her lungs weren't developed yet.

I think about her everyday. Had she survived she would have been three years old February 12th. I wish my country had more NICUs...

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Anyone else deal with the stress and uncertainty of having a preterm/NICU baby? Why did your baby have to go and how long did they stay? I'm off to the hospital shortly, sorry if I do not respond until later tonight!

Trust the NICU nurses more than the doctors. They're the ones that spend the most time with the kids and know them best.

They're also some of the best nurses in the biz.

Deleted member 10314

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weird timing with this thread. My daughter was born today at 33 weeks gestation, a c section because my partners water went last Thursday, but weirdly enough we didn't realise what had happened. It was only on Saturday when a lot of fluid came out with blood that we realised what was going on .
She was grabbing or hitting the umbilical cord in the womb somehow. This was causing her to pass out in the there. It happened a few times, so they figured it was time for her to come out.
No issues, she's just having assistance with breathing until she's capable herself.
It's hard to see her in the NICU, but it's the best place for her to be right now.

Oct 25, 2017
My country only has one NICU in the entire country (about 55 miles away from our local hospital). Like you, everything was going fine until my wife complained about feeling discomfort. We went to the hospital and to our surprise she was already 8cm dilated. It was too late to transfer her to the other hospital. They delivered my baby girl at 28 weeks, 3lbs. She fought for 3 hours and then passed away. Her lungs weren't developed yet.

I think about her everyday. Had she survived she would have been three years old February 12th. I wish my country had more NICUs...

So sorry :(