• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
FYI NICU = Neonatal Intensive Care Unit

My son Adrian was born during an emergency C-section on February 10th at 5:03 AM (roughly 6 weeks early). It was a completely drama free pregnancy (no morning sickness, no weird appetite stuff, normal 20 week ultrasound, etc) until February 7th. That entire day my wife was complaining about an upset stomach and just feeling off so she went to the hospital. When I got there from work, the doctor immediately said she was having contractions and was going into labor (2 cm dilated). They gave her a drug to try and calm the contractions as they REALLY want babies to get to at least 34 weeks (which would be the next day, Saturday). 35 weeks would be even better as 35 week babies most likely do not need to go to the NICU if there are no other issues. They also gave her a steroid shot as that would help the baby's lungs develop faster if he did come early.

The drug seemed to work to calm her contractions. We stayed at the hospital that night. The next day she had an ultrasound and apparently the baby seemed to be growth restricted. At the 20th week ultrasound he was 60th percentile or so on size, he was now in the 5th percentile. They didn't really have an answer as to why (they said cord blood flow was normal) but scheduled a bunch of extra appointments from that day until the due date (March 21). They said maybe he would just be a small baby and there was still a good chance he would come around the due date.

Saturday after we got home from the hospital she felt normal. Sunday she felt a little manic but still no contractions or anything. Then when we were getting ready for bed that night, I heard her call from the bathroom. "Ummm, Greg, we need to go to the hospital." Her water broke. We rushed over and got admitted. She was starting to dilate more but wasn't having contractions so they gave her Pitocin (a drug to bring on contractions). I guess Adrian did not like this, as his heart rate started to slowly trend downwards. About 4:45 AM the doctors became very concerned. There were probably 15 or so nurses plus doctors in the delivery room. It was quickly decided she would have an emergency c-section due to Adrian's heart rate going down.

They wheeled her out in her bed, they all rushed out with her and I stood there terrified. We did have a birth doula (sort of a birth coach), so she helped calm me down. At this point I would not have been surprised at all if they came back to tell me our son did not make it (or even my wife). When the doctor came back to the room around 5:15 or so, she gave me the good news that mom and baby were OK!

We haven't been told much, but it sounds like she had an abrupted placenta. Essentially this is where the placenta detaches from the uterus early. Weird though that looking at the potential causes, my wife doesn't match any of them (smoking, preeclampsia, prior abruption, trauma during pregnancy, cocaine use, previous cesarean section).

Regardless, Adrian was doing really well (breathing on his own, awake) but his blood sugar was reading low. This is essentially what we've been dealing with for the past 8 days now. He initially had an IV line up through his belly button that was delivering a high dose of dextrose. They also gave him a feeding tube so he would get consistent feedings each time (he does do pretty well from the bottle, taking around 15-20 ml per feeding). Over the 8 days in the NICU, they were able to wean him off the dextrose. They would only drop the rate he was getting the sugar after 2 consecutive blood sugar readings of 60 or higher. Yesterday they finally got him off the dextrose and removed the belly button line. Every day they've been increasing his food intake (pretty much all from fortified breast milk my wife has been pumping).

Since then he's been trending back down for his blood sugar readings. He was mostly in the 40s last night. They have an IV now going into his arm and have a much lower concentration of dextrose going in. He's back up a bit in the 50s today.

There was talk earlier today about possibly putting him on a medication called Diazoxide to help regulate his sugar levels as they think he may have hyperinsulinism. My wife is at the NICU now and I guess they most recently told her his insulin levels look normal so now we're not sure if they still plan on using the Diazoxide.

So that's basically where we are at now. One theory we've picked up on from the doctors is that the emergency c-section combined with the early delivery may have caused a spike in stress in mom which can throw the baby's sugars out of whack. We're hoping he's just taking a bit longer than hoped for until his body can correctly regulate sugars.

This is very long but I just wanted to type out the situation as it is now. I'm at work and leaving at 3:30 to go to the NICU to meet mom and baby, so I needed a way to pass the time.

0QxJrzSl.jpg

tldr...
Baby came 5 weeks early (most likely because of a placental abruption). He's now been in the NICU for 8 days because of unstable blood sugar levels. He was weaned off a dextrose IV line, sugars trended a bit low over night, so he's back on a lower dextrose concentration. Current tests seem to be inconclusive as to why this is happening. Feels like we just need to wait and see for now how his body responds.

Anyone else deal with the stress and uncertainty of having a preterm/NICU baby? Why did your baby have to go and how long did they stay? I'm off to the hospital shortly, sorry if I do not respond until later tonight!

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My niece was a NICU baby. She's turning two in a couple months. She was in the NICU for two months (C-section two months early due to complications) but now she's a happy, healthy, incredibly active toddler. Don't worry too much, the nurses do great work.

RichieS99

Nov 11, 2017
My little boy is a NICU baby, Born 8 weeks early and now he's 5 and a freaking giant. The Nurses are incredible so dont worry about him too much.

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
My brother was very premature and spent time in the NICU - this was back in the early 80s - and he's totally fine. My wife is due to deliver our second kid at the end of March, so your post hit me man. Best wishes for you and your family, Adrian is a cutie!

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Your son is effin adorable! I know nothing about the NICU but my goodness he is a handsome guy!

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Fiance was nicu at 8 weeks I think and she's doing pretty well at 33! Good luck at managing the stress though.

AliasGreed

Oct 31, 2017
I won't go into details OP but my child almost died, flat lined, at birth had to be recusitated, emergency C-section to save the life. Was in NICU for 3 weeks. Healthy at home now.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
My first was a NICU baby, similar situation to yours, my wife developed HELLP syndrome and forced a C-section because her liver enzymes were through the roof. Baby was 35 weeks and she was pretty jaundiced (as was my wife). After the C-Section my wife got better and the baby was fine after some nutritional supplements. We ended up staying for a week and things turned out just fine. She'll be 8 years old soon.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I was in the NICU for 2 weeks after being born with underdeveloped lungs. Things turned out fine, and it didn't seem to have any significant long term development impacts thankfully.

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No but my baby investigated crimes ranging from murder to terrorism with a group of colorful personalities on the behalf of the US Navy.

philipnorth

Oct 31, 2017
My daughter (now 10) was born with 26 weeks. She was about 450 grams when she was born.
Will post more later.

My tip for both of you: celebrate everything!
Accept help from family and friends, keep talking with each other.

Ghost Rider

Oct 27, 2017
My son was 2 months premature and spent 5 and a half weeks in the NICU. It was incredibly stressful and scary partly because shortly after finding out she was pregnant, his mother discovered she was a carrier for CF. I was then instructed to get tested but was assured the chances were low that we would both have it. Turns out we were both carriers.
It was 7 months after her was born before they could rule out that he had CF. He had several other issues come up however. He had hyper joint laxity which at first they thought was a sign that he had Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome which they then proceeded to tell us would lead to the eventual rupturing of his organs. Thankfully they were wrong. He did have to wear leg braces for 4 years though.
the biggest issue was the plagiocephaly. He developed A deformity of his skull due to his head being softer (part of being a premie). It was scary to hear about and look at but was not to bad to deal with because we caught it early. He had to a special helmet for 3 months straight (23 hours a day. Only one hour off) and it reshaped his head perfectly.
my little guy is now 9, doing well in school, and is gearing up for his orange belt in karate.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been there and developed PTSD-like symptoms to the sights and sounds in the room.

My wife's water broke 7 weeks early ten years ago. At the hospital, she was transferred to another and they delayed delivering my son as long as possible because his lungs weren't fully developed. He was pumped full of steroids to aid development we wer told. But after a week, there was a risk of infection thanks to the water breakage so she was induced. He came out, delayed a bit with the crying but the doctors said he was ok and after preemptively saying there wouldn't be time to cuddle as he'd need to be rushed to the NICU, we actually got a chance to see him, touch him and my wife got to say he looked like an alien thanks to the drugs (her under the influence, not a deformity with my son) lol.

He had a feeding tube and was so small. He stayed a week in there before we got to take him home. I remember a night not wanting to go because of the anxiety and have felt guilty whenever I think about it. We got through it and he's a massive 10 year old now who has had his struggles with asthma and allergic skin reactions and has a hearing aid, but he's healthy.

Best of luck to you and yours.

Hoodbury

Oct 27, 2017
My daughter was 6.5 weeks early and in the NICU for 2 weeks. She is almost 9 now and healthy and normal as can be; she's one of the tallest in her 3rd grade class. Take advantage of having full time nurses helping you out during this tough time. It was actually kinda nice having nurses help during those first two weeks when everything is new to you (if this is your first). We got to learn how to give baths to babies, change diapers from the pros, feed, hold, etc. Full term babies they send you home with after like 24-48 hours and you just are expected to know how to do everything.

It's definitely scary and sad seeing your child hooked up to monitors, in a incubator, etc, but it helps to know the NICU nurses are some of the best. Good luck to you and you'll do fine. Baby looks great too!

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My first baby was briefly on the NICU with Jaundice. He was fine and was free to go after a few days.

Some of the other baby's I saw in their were tiny (ie. Not much bigger than the size of my fist).

Your guy looks like he is doing great all things considered.

Oct 27, 2017
My daughter was 6.5 weeks early and in the NICU for 2 weeks. She is almost 9 now and healthy and normal as can be; she's one of the tallest in her 3rd grade class. Take advantage of having full time nurses helping you out during this tough time. It was actually kinda nice having nurses help during those first two weeks when everything is new to you (if this is your first). We got to learn how to give baths to babies, change diapers from the pros, feed, hold, etc. Full term babies they send you home with after like 24-48 hours and you just are expected to know how to do everything.

It's definitely scary and sad seeing your child hooked up to monitors, in a incubator, etc, but it helps to know the NICU nurses are some of the best. Good luck to you and you'll do fine. Baby looks great too!
Never thought of it that way. We learned so much in those two weeks at the hospital (one prior to birth, one in NICU).

And likewise, my son dwarfs his class. His weight adds to the mass (which we're working on) but his height is up there. Up to my collar bone and I'm 6-1.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My sister was almost 3 months early when she was born. I don't remember much because I was only 5 myself when she was born. She spent quite awhile in the NICU and we drove down every weekend. She was born in a hospital 2.5 hours away so I remember it being rough on my parents. I more or less lived with my grandparents for month or two, because my mom was in the hospital for weeks with complications and my dad worked away all week.

It's a scary thing, but as others have said, the team working those units are some of the best out there.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, though my first daughter did come a bit early and relatively small (something like 5lb 9oz, IIRC).

Do they have to poke your baby to check for the blood sugar levels? I'm trying to remember if that's the issue my daughter had, but to check it they'd have to poke her foot to draw some blood. Man, I remember her wailing from it and it just instantly made me weep.

And congrats on the new baby! Hope he gets out of the NICU soon and healthy.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
My youngest son was a NICU baby. There a week if I recall. It was a lung issue that resolved itself normally during that time. It's a harrowing experience, to say the least. I'll be thinking about you and yours.

Wren Wolfe

Nov 10, 2017
I was born 12 weeks premature, and I was in the NICU for roughly three months. I'm 24 now, and aside from some poor eyesight, I don't have any medical/health issues. I can't imagine how scary it must be, but like others have said, NICU nurses are really wonderful.

Good luck with your new little one!

philipnorth

Oct 31, 2017
This is what my wife wrote for world prematurity day (November 17): (ran through google translate so sorry for weird sentences)

Sweet, sweet child of mine,

There is so much that I wish I could tell about the day you were born.

I would like to tell you that you were born on a beautiful sunny day in May. That I was 40 weeks pregnant and was getting tired of it. That your father and I were happy and that we were looking forward to our life with you. That the midwife had estimated you to be "over three kilos!" And we were curious about how heavy you really would be. That your first outfit was already ready in a crib next to the bed. That we had our camera with us. That I looked forward to the calls to your grandfathers and grandmothers in which I would gladly say that you were born. That you were born after an easy birth. That I approached you myself when you were born. That my hands and your father's were the first you felt. That the room was dim. That your Apgar score was perfect. That you immediately cried very powerfully. That your father and I were congratulated by the midwife. That you were laid on my chest and that we stayed that way for an hour. That I watched you for an hour and smelled your scent. That you enjoyed those first touches. That your father and I bathed you together. That you then lay down with me again in the clothes that we had selected for you. How beautiful your eyes were. That we counted your ten fingers and ten toes with the midwife. That your father and I called our parents together and they told you about you. That we told them your name. That your grandmothers were crying with joy. That I was allowed to go home after a few hours. That your father and I actually had no idea how to do you in a Maxi-Cosi. That, under protest, I was put in a wheelchair by the nursing staff. That I got the Maxi-Cosi with you in it on my lap. That the three of us went home. I'd love to tell you all that.

There is so much I don't want to tell you about the day you were born.

About how it really went. That it was February. That there was snow. That I was only 26 weeks pregnant. That the bed I was in was run through the corridors to the operating room for a caesarean section. That your father and I were terrified. That we had no idea if we would have a life with you. That we didn't know if you were going to die immediately, after a few hours, a few days, or that quite possibly it would live. That you were estimated at 550 grams. That our camera was still in the trunk of the car. That I literally pinched your father's hand. That I could move my feet despite the epidural. That the gynecologist said: "Hurry up. That baby has to get out NOW. " That I couldn't see you when you were born. That I couldn't touch you. That I couldn't smell you. That you immediately went with a team of doctors. That you were in a sandwich bag to stay warm. That you were driven past me. That I could not see you because the hand of the person who did the manual ventilation covered you. That your father could come to you after 10 minutes. That you weighed 450 grams. That your body was immediately full of stickers, needles and tubes. That I got stiches and had no idea if you were alive or dead. That your father got lost in the hospital when he wanted to go back to tell me how you were doing. That your grandmothers and grandfathers had to cry when we told them you were born. That we had to call one of your grandmothers again because we had not yet told her your name. That I was put in the room for "mothers without a child". That I only saw you for the first time after 5 hours. That I could only touch you after I had disinfected my hands. That there were so many tubes and wires on and in you that I actually couldn't even see you then. That you smelled of disinfectant hand soap. It took 8 days before I could kiss and hold you for the first time. That we drove home for 116 days without you.

There is also a lot I want to tell you about the day you were born.

I was 26 weeks and 4 days pregnant. It was a beautiful day in February, there was even snow! Your father looked very funny in his green scrubs. I squeezed your father's hand blue and he mine. You were born and you made a sound like a kitten; a beautiful sound. Your father stood up and could see you. He told me that you were "pretty pink" and very beautiful. The gynecologist asked your name and your father and I said your name at the same time. Your Apgar score was 5/8/8 and I was ridiculously proud of that score. You were immediately taken by the neonatologists and after ten minutes your father went with you. The people at the OR were very sweet to me. They told how strong you were. The gynecologist in training told that she had never heard such a small child cry. You were allowed to go to the NICU and your father went with you. Your father took a photo of you at the NICU with his phone and got lost when he came to the recovery to show me the photo show it.

When I first saw you, I told you how much your father and I loved you. I saw how strong and beautiful you were. I saw that your diaper came from your knees to your shoulders and that the hat you were wearing was too big. We called your grandfathers and grandmothers. The nurses in the ward printed a photo for my bedside table with the help of your father. Your father stayed with me for a little while and then (according to the nursing staff) spent hours with you and even sang softly for you.

That day, the first day of your life on earth, you taught your father and me what power is, what love is. For 116 days your father and I went home without you, but on the 117th day we went home with you.

On November 17th, World Prematurity Day, I will pay extra attention to everyone who has to deal with children who are born prematurely and / or ill and in particular to those where the story does not (yet) have a good ending.

There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

Last edited:

Ary F.

Oct 30, 2017
I was an NICU baby. I was born 5 weeks early, weighed 6 lbs, and was kept in the NICU for two weeks. I think I turned out alright healthwise as I was the most athletic kid in my class and skipped two grades. I however, didn't grow as tall as I would have liked. Only health issues I have are (well controlled) epilepsy and low blood sugar issues.

I know its scary but your little guy is in the best hands, NICU nurses are superheroes.
Congrats and good luck with your little one :)

SleepehSheep

Oct 26, 2017
My son was born 6 weeks early due to a placental abruption. Now he is 8 months old and fat and sassy lol
He was in the NICU for 3 weeks

Jazzman

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus that sounds scary, glad things seem to be trending in the right direction. My wife is due May 10th and hoping everything goes relatively smoothly. Although we just had our last ultrasound and they were predicting him to be in the 9.5lbs range, so needless to say my wife was not thrilled lol. My brother and I were both over 10lbs so that seems to be in line.

Sousourocket

Oct 26, 2017
My little guy was born 5 weeks early but he managed to skip the NICU, just had some issues with bilirubin that kept us in the hospital and then on the biliblanket at home for a while. I just wanted to wish you well and tell you little Adrian is beautiful and I'm hoping for the best for him and your family. The uncertainty can be terrifying but you're doing everything you can.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. My daughter was born a few weeks premature but what landed her in the NICU was that the doctor gave my wife too much of a drug that reduced her blood pressure due to preclampsia. Of course the drug went into our daughter's bloodstream. She was in the NICU for three days as I recall.

Oct 25, 2017
My guy came out with the cord around his neck and was blue and purple
He was in NICU for maybe 3-4 days I don't recall.
Was very stressful time but he was ok

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
Yep my little girl was a preemie and in the NICU for two weeks. You have to have faith in those nurses. They know what they are doing and are really helpful with any questions/concerns you have. My little girl is 2 and a half now and is a damn chatterbox.

Oct 28, 2017
Funnily enough, I was an NICU baby also born on 2.10.91

I was premature with underdeveloped lungs

I also later worked in a hospital and serviced the sharps containers of various NICUs. They are largely the most responsible and organized areas of any hospital. Your kid should be in good hands.

Bless your heart, and congratulations OP

MaxEverblack

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Iowa
My twin girls were born a month early due to preclampsia complications. They spent 2 weeks in the NICU and couldn't leave until their breathing was normal and they passed the hospitals car seat test. They would slow their breathing when they were asleep and they were afraid they wouldn't wake up. It was a very stressful time and we felt selfish for just wanting to take our kids home. It was even worse when one of them was able to come home, but the other had to stay for another 2 days.

They just turned 2 this past weekend and these girls are everything I ever wanted. I feel for anyone that has/had little ones in the NICU, even though our visit was trivial compared to others.

Nov 8, 2017
I was a NICU baby. 10 weeks early, 3lbs 13 oz, 13 in tall. I was in the hospital for 2 months. Turned out ok I think

Congrats on the beautiful baby. Modern medicine is far better than when I arrived, (1983) and your kiddo is in great hands I'm sure.

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
Both my boys spent a number of weeks in the NICU. Our first was born...I actually forget exact number of weeks early, I just remember it was literally the earliest they could be born without significant developmental risks/issues. Our second was roughly 3 or 4 weeks early, and while a less troublesome birth, the rest was...interesting.

Suffice to say the "NICU" experience was kind of the least troublesome parts. Though I remember it being a lot of waiting, then one day they booted us all out the door. Not literally, and the nurses were perfectly pleasant, but it went from zero to there's the door fairly quick. I guess it was because, to me, the NICU didn't feel real, like it was hitting the pause button on being a parent.

The worst part was sending us home with oxygen. Newborns, for the most part, are super easy to handle, but those damn oxygen tanks were so annoying.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't had to go to the NICU for any family related stuff in a long time, thankfully. Sorry you're going through this, OP, but it sounds like things are slowly getting better. Your kid is adorable btw - and I'm not just saying that like everyone says babies are adorable, cause some babies are ugly. You guys made a cute kid.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
My first was born at 27 weeks, but because of my wife's pre-eclampsia he was more like 24 weeks in size and spent quite a bit of time in the NICU. Your kid looks like a beast in comparison to him :) All I can say is if you have a March of Dimes representative get to know them, they can be good to talk to. Visit often and celebrate the victories no matter how small. Also, talk through the whole thing with friends and family (and on here if). This kind of thing is more common than you might realize.

philipnorth

Oct 31, 2017
My first was born at 27 weeks, but because of my wife's pre-eclampsia he was more like 24 weeks in size and spent quite a bit of time in the NICU. Your kid looks like a beast in comparison to him :) All I can say is if you have a March of Dimes representative get to know them, they can be good to talk to. Visit often and celebrate the victories no matter how small. Also, talk through the whole thing with friends and family (and on here if). This kind of thing is more common than you might realize.

yes for March of dimes. We don't have that here but we joined a preemie organization as well back then.
It's nice to see all the posts here with various experiences from people.
It's a tough period definitely but as I said before, cherish everything.
When my daughter was 1 week old in the NiCu we put up a happy birthday card celebrating 1 week. We did that every week. The team at the nicu put up a huge card when she (finally) hit the 1kg mark as well.
Oh and kangaroo every chance you get!
For me those were the most relaxing times as well, just having her lay on my chest. Those really were the best moments, I could also actually sleep like that šŸ˜

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I was a preemie, born three months early. Weighed 1 lb 9 ounces. Turned out pretty great all things considered

ig3ZJhO.jpg

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Your son shares a birthday with my son who just turned three.

Neither of my kids were NICU babies but my mom has been a NICU nurse for almost 35 years now so I can tell you that they are some of the hardest working and compassionate people in all of the medical field.

Best of luck to you and your family OP.

If you don't mind me asking, are you able to take paternity leave?

Destroyer

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
One of my best friends just had a NICU baby. After 26 long days, they just brought him home today.

methane47

Oct 28, 2017
My wife just have birth to twins 6 weeks early. We were in the NICU for 3 weeks.
Longest 3 weeks is my life.
But I did get to learn from the nurses how to care for my girls.

Today is day 3 out of the NICU and things are going well.

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
Congratulations!

8 weeks for my wee girl. She's 3 and a bit now.

It's tough going there's no way round that - but aside from a few moments i've forgotten what it was even like now.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah my son was 5 weeks early, was at the NICU for about a week and a half. It was heartbreaking having to drive home every night and leave him there. He's fine now though.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Not NICU, but we had to take my son back to the hospital a few days after we were discharged, to go under bilirubin lights. Very unpleasant to see him in this chamber with wires attached to him and such.

Best of luck OP, hang in there.

I was a preemie, born three months early. Weighed 1 lb 9 ounces. Turned out pretty great all things considered

ig3ZJhO.jpg

Whoa, that's wild. Glad you're doing great!

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
My daughter came three weeks early via emergency c-section, and while she didn't go to the NICU, the whole team was standing there during the surgery just in case. She came out not breathing, and those doctors and nurses were all over the baby and had her up and running in seconds.

Seriously, God bless every person who works in the NICU. The amount of tragedy they see and the levels of stress that they have to deal with (from themselves and parents) has got to be unmatched outside of busy ERs.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
That sounds really tense, OP, I'm glad you all made it fine! Things are going to get better and better now.

Also, that's a really cute baby! Congratulations!

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on the new baby!

Our third child, who is 3.5 now, was six weeks early and was in the NICU for 27 days. Ours was because my wife suffers from various auto-immune disorders, and the doctors were worried she was literally going to die and were like, "Time to get the baby out, he'll be fine."

It was a long 27 days. Looking back, I'm not sure if this was helpful, but each child in the NICU had their own webcam stream at the hospital we were in, so we could log in and see him. The downside was the panic-induced moments when he wasn't in his crib when he should have been. No matter how many times it just ended up being that they were a bit off-schedule with changing/feeding, the brain always went to OH GOD WHAT HAS HAPPENED?! place. We'd also get updates twice a day from the NICU nurses over the phone. He had a random fever spike accompanied by a small brain bleed a week in, but it turned out to be something that can actually be pretty normal. His biggest issue preventing him from coming home was learning to eat. He's totally fine now, the most energetic of our kids at his age, and my gaming buddy. The NICU nurses were amazingly great.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
No, but my first born was jaundiced badly 2 days into her life and we had to admit her to a NICU to sleep under a UV lamp for 2 days. It was stressfull