• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
My Dentist recommended I see an oral surgeon, which I am, next week. My jaw has been hurting like a motherfucker for about 2 weeks now. Anyone here get over it eventually and any recommendations on what to do?? Cause this shit fucking sucks.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I have/had it. Got a bite plate to wear at night and most of my symptoms eventually went away. I still can't eat anything too hard (like peanut brittle) or chew gum, but apart from that it's fine.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Yes, had it most of my life (52). Mine is so bad I can no longer play the instrument of my choice (harmonica)- sometimes it gets so bad I can't barely eat. Don't see a surgeon- there's no point, it's treated by dentists. Find one that specializes in TMJ- there's a big Orafacial Pain Clinic here in Boston at Tufts.

I have two dental appliances- a day and night guard. I don't really wear the day guard but I do wear the night one because I clench and grind my teeth.

There are many ways to treat it- the best way is to manage your stress through a combination of lifestyle changes, relaxation exercises, meditation and medication.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, I've dealt with this for a very long time.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
I have it, I wear top and bottom retainers and it hasn't gone away, shit sucks

Nov 19, 2020
I had it for 3 years but it finally went away after a few months' worth of sessions at an Osteopath who specializes in TMJ! Have you checked to see if there are any in your area? If you can fix it with therapy before meds/surgery, I highly recommend it.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Yeh. Mine presents in lots of popping of the jaw, and pain, and once had my jaw lock up.

I don't think there's much "getting over it"? If the disc in your jaw joint is gone, that's kind of an irreversible thing without surgery. But you should try to manage without surgery because it's apparently only a last resort.

Mine has been generally managed by a night guard, though I need to get it replaced soon because I've apparently ground it down within a year and a bit... whoops.

Heat and ice to the side of your face helps, as well as massaging the joint gently, especially if it's popping (it's like, right at the base of the ear). And yeah, don't eat hard food (or stuff that has you opening your jaw super wide).

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
TMJ can be exacerbated by sleep apnea, so that might also be something to check on. If you do have it, treating the apnea could kill two birds with one stone.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I've had it for three years and have just gotten used to it......

Should probably do something though

markavacado

Oct 25, 2017
Got this cracking noise in my jaw whenever I open it too much (well sometimes even when I barely open my mouth). Might be TMJ because yeah the discomfort comes and goes.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Night guard makes my symptoms manageable. You need the good one with full coverage of your top teeth though, not the little bullshit that just covers the front.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Look into a night guard (and make sure you talk to your dentist about how you should set it).

And you should do daily jaw exercises/massages. It helps. If you have a bad jaw day, I recommend eating hot noodle soups (the heat and sucking action really soothes). If it persists, run a bath and soak in the water so that your jaw is underwater see below). The pressure and heat from the water is my tactical nuke for headaches and jaw pain.

girl-bath-7224781.jpg

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Look into a night guard (and make sure you talk to your dentist about how you should set it).

And you should do daily jaw exercises/massages. It helps. If you have a bad jaw day, I recommend eating hot noodle soups (the heat and sucking action really soothes). If it persists, run a bath and soak in the water so that your jaw is underwater see below). The pressure and heat from the water is my tactical nuke for headaches and jaw pain.

girl-bath-7224781.jpg

! Good idea! I usually just toss an ice pack on and then a heat pack haha.