• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
After going to urgent care with some intense pain in my left big toe, doctor tells me I have gout. Got some medication and after a few days felt fine. I really fell of the healthy eating+exercise wagon a couple years back so of course that did it. Started excercising regularly again, really cut out red meat and sugary stuff out of diet, but here I am about 2 weeks later with another really bad flare up of pain. Is this just how things are now?. My sister seems to think it might be pseudo gout where it's calcium build up instead of uric acid.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Unless your sister is a doctor, I would listen to your doctor.

I've had recurring bouts of gout over the years, and it's always when I get careless and eat too much sausage in too short a time. Other than that, I'm fine. Unfortunately, no more sausage for me :(

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
is gout only in the joints? or could it be surrounding areas?

randomly last December I started getting pain and red sores on my palms and bottom of feet. Sounds kind of similar to gout but what I'm reading seems to indicate gout is in the joints.

I'm vegetarian though and sounds like red meat is a big contributor.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only person I've known that had gout was Bobby Hill and he wouldn't listen to his doctor. Go to your doctor and listen to them.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
My right big toe has been hurting me for about a decade now and I can't flex it upwards, so I don't even know if it's gout or simply hallux rigidus from random trauma due to years of landscaping and various other things that took a toll on my feet. It does seem to flare up more often with diet fluctuations, now that I think about it.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
I deal with gout now, thanks dying Kidney's. So because of the Kidney's I cannot take the any of the meds that fight gout. One thing that really stinks about the whole thing is that over the last couple years my big toe would really hurt if I went for a walk or worked out a bunch. I thought it was just an old hockey injury from 20+ years ago nagging me. I put 2 years off from getting it identified and dealt with.

Don't listen to you sister, the doc most likely had blood drawn(?) and your uric acid levels were over 7.5, hence you have gout. if that doc didn't have your blood drawn, go see a podiatrist to make sure.

Eating healthier options and less purines definitely helps!

I just spent the last couple months with my foot in a boot because of the gout. After my birthday this year I got a tad bit off my food plan for a couple months and boom, gout. It's going to come in waves, and you're going to know it based on the foods that you eat. Welcome to the club, try to eat healthier, because gout can lead to kidney stones, and from what I hear those are a bear.

Nov 1, 2017
All the diet advice--avoiding purines and such--in this thread is solid, but I wanted to add that you should also hydrate like you're in the middle of a desert. Water helps flush the excess uric acid out of your body.

Oh, and cut down on organ meats like liver, hummus (chickpeas are high in purines), and alcohol (sadly).

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is this the thing when i don't eat my fruits and veggies, cus i don't eat my fruits and veggies.

or is that scurvy

OP
OP
Choppasmith

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Tart cherry juice. A glass a day keeps the foot-pain away, or something.

I'm actually eating a lot of cherries right now. I'm trying to avoid juice because sugar but I might look into that when cherries go out of season. Unless that wasn't a real suggestion...

OP just needs to walk it off

My job involves a lot of walking (I reached at least 7 miles a day and that was when I was a store that was half the size I'm at now) so I actually tried to walk it off. Wasn't a good idea.

Did they just give you colchicine to eliminate the flare, or did they start you on allopurinol as well?

I have gout, it sucks. More people have commiserated in this thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/go...-i-hope-none-of-you-ever-experience-it.78877/

I was prescribed the former. I'm going to talk to with a doctor tomorrow morning. Not sure if he'll recommend the latter.

All the diet advice--avoiding purines and such--in this thread is solid, but I wanted to add that you should also hydrate like you're in the middle of a desert. Water helps flush the excess uric acid out of your body.

Oh, and cut down on organ meats like liver, hummus (chickpeas are high in purines), and alcohol (sadly).

So when I went into my work to give my boss the doctor's note, she actually gave me a good link for recommended foods.

www.healthline.com

What Is the Best Diet for Gout?

Gout is a type of arthritis that causes sudden and severe attacks of pain, but luckily, the right diet can ease its symptoms. This article reviews the best diet for gout, all backed by research.

Didn't know hummus was bad though. I like having hummus with pita bread as a healthy small meal and I like to have beyond meat as an alternative to red meat (I'm not vegan/vegetarian but itn just goes down cleaner in addition to staying away from red meat). That's a bummer, but thanks for the info.

I deal with gout now, thanks dying Kidney's. So because of the Kidney's I cannot take the any of the meds that fight gout. One thing that really stinks about the whole thing is that over the last couple years my big toe would really hurt if I went for a walk or worked out a bunch. I thought it was just an old hockey injury from 20+ years ago nagging me. I put 2 years off from getting it identified and dealt with.

Don't listen to you sister, the doc most likely had blood drawn(?) and your uric acid levels were over 7.5, hence you have gout. if that doc didn't have your blood drawn, go see a podiatrist to make sure.

Eating healthier options and less purines definitely helps!

I just spent the last couple months with my foot in a boot because of the gout. After my birthday this year I got a tad bit off my food plan for a couple months and boom, gout. It's going to come in waves, and you're going to know it based on the foods that you eat. Welcome to the club, try to eat healthier, because gout can lead to kidney stones, and from what I hear those are a bear.

Dang I have to be careful. I was born with one kidney. I hope the medication I have wasn't an oversight by the urgent care doctor.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
A co-worker of mine had gout. He said it sucks. But the guy ate like shit, drank like a fish, and doesn't exercise at all.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Sorry just...just have to.

I'm probably due for it soon. I eat like shit, and I had a friend 2 years my senior just get it.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My job involves a lot of walking (I reached at least 7 miles a day and that was when I was a store that was half the size I'm at now) so I actually tried to walk it off. Wasn't a good idea.
Sorry, I wasn't being serious about that - I was replying to the other user with a KotH reference.

I hope your condition improves though, truly.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
I'm actually eating a lot of cherries right now. I'm trying to avoid juice because sugar but I might look into that when cherries go out of season. Unless that wasn't a real suggestion...

I was prescribed the former. I'm going to talk to with a doctor tomorrow morning. Not sure if he'll recommend the latter.

So when I went into my work to give my boss the doctor's note, she actually gave me a good link for recommended foods.

www.healthline.com

What Is the Best Diet for Gout?

Gout is a type of arthritis that causes sudden and severe attacks of pain, but luckily, the right diet can ease its symptoms. This article reviews the best diet for gout, all backed by research.

Didn't know hummus was bad though. I like having hummus with pita bread as a healthy small meal and I like to have beyond meat as an alternative to red meat (I'm not vegan/vegetarian but itn just goes down cleaner in addition to staying away from red meat). That's a bummer, but thanks for the info.

Dang I have to be careful. I was born with one kidney. I hope the medication I have wasn't an oversight by the urgent care doctor.

If you don't get your blood tested yearly, I would definitely do that within 6 months. You can do that with your GP, and if your creatinin numbers are poor they'll refer to a nephrologist (those docs are usually pretty sharp).

ClassAndFear

Oct 30, 2017
It was! And seriously, look into the tart cherry juice. Small glass - it's so sour you won't be able to drink more than a small one. Tart much better than fresh for gout apparently.

JorSneezy

Oct 17, 2019
I have gout, haven't had a flare-up in a decade, though had like three flare-ups in two years before I got on track.

The key is to drink lots of water. Sooooo much water. I'm a runner and live in Florida, so days that I run I'm putting in 160oz of water. On days I don't run I'm putting in 80oz - 100oz of water.

The water pushes the uric acid out through urine so it doesn't collect in other places in your body. My doc says the goal is to have clear pee by Noon.

Also, be careful with alcohol and other recreational items that might dehydrate your body. Dehydration means there is no water in your system, which means uric acid is building up. Make sure you drink a bunch of water before bed on days you partake or drink a ton of water the next morning (either of strategies will also help with hangover stuff, too).

Be healthy, homie!

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
A co-worker of mine had gout. He said it sucks. But the guy ate like shit, drank like a fish, and doesn't exercise at all.
One of my best friends has gout and he does everything in his power to keep it active it seems. It showed up when we were 30 and his doctor told him to eat better and drink less beer.

My buddy heard this and decided to just drink 100 proof vodka airplane bottles/nips to some how alleviate the situation. He keeps left over bacon fat in the freezer. All of us think he's kidney has been failing due to alcohol consumption cause of his big belly (cirrhosis?). He has trouble walking when it flares up. Alcoholism sucks.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
There's pain...severe pain...then gout. Some really good advice here about watching your diet. There'll be two different 'types' of drugs they will put you on potentially. There's drugs to relieve an attack (stuff like Colchine, used in Ancient Egypt) and drugs to prevent an attack (allopurinol). You don't want to get recurrent gout because if it becomes chronic, it can cause osteoarthritis and small joint deformities, You will have to be careful because hyperuaricaemia is a marker for metabolic syndrome and poor cardiovascular health, so if anything it is a warning about lifestyle for a lot of people.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Welp, spent the morning in Urgent care and got diagnosed with gout. Literally feels like there's a tent spike going through my foot.

This sucks man, nothing like not being able to move when you've got moves to make. They got me on a steroid reg for the next week and then "we'll see".

I literally thought my big toe was broken the pain was so bad. I guess this means I'm getting old.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, spent the morning in Urgent care and got diagnosed with gout. Literally feels like there's a tent spike going through my foot.

This sucks man, nothing like not being able to move when you've got moves to make. They got me on a steroid reg for the next week and then "we'll see".

I literally thought my big toe was broken the pain was so bad. I guess this means I'm getting old.
Also your body is telling you it's time to eat less red meat.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Also your body is telling you it's time to eat less red meat.

You know that was the crazy thing. "When was the last time I had red meat?" Like...3 months ago. Same with shellfish. I was trying really hard to figure out what could have caused the flare and i'm still perplexed. Might have been one of those knorr pasta packets.

Well, at least I can lie down without being in excruciating pain now, that's something.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I used to get it, but it went away completely after I quit drinking. I just get high instead now, which comes with its own issues.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I on occasion get what I think is but random flare ups in my ankle and peroneal area in my foot after what I think is from diet. Total guess for me, but I suspect it's a build up from eating tuna/salmon and turkey often (purines).

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Me and a lot of people on my dads side. I grew up with such a protein heavy diet you'd think we'd learn by now.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
You know that was the crazy thing. "When was the last time I had red meat?" Like...3 months ago. Same with shellfish. I was trying really hard to figure out what could have caused the flare and i'm still perplexed. Might have been one of those knorr pasta packets.

Well, at least I can lie down without being in excruciating pain now, that's something.

For me it's drinking alcohol, anytime I drink considerably it sets me off. Get on a regular regimen of colchicine to start. costplusdrugs.com is by far the cheapest to get it thru unless your insurance pays better. Get it under control then start on allopurinol to get that uric acid lower

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I had it like 6 months ago. Stopped drinking IPAs and eating red meat and I've been fine since.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It's the worst when you start to throw a blanket over your feet and your toes can IMMEDIATELY tell the difference in temperature and your toes start throbbing from the pain.

grang

Nov 13, 2017

Glad the steroids are working, but if they don't proactively do it, get them to give you colchicine. Hopefully eventually you'll get on allopurinol too, but the faster you start colchicine now the faster your symptoms will likely clear for this acute attack.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
It's the worst when you start to throw a blanket over your feet and your toes can IMMEDIATELY tell the difference in temperature and your toes start throbbing from the pain.

I was in the office today for a minute trying to find a comfortable position and basically slung my leg over my file cabinet and pulled my other leg down below it and it was the only fucking position that didn't set off a shockwave of pain. Looked like I was doing a bayonetta pose.

When I got home, I just dropped a big bag of ice on top of it and that helped a lot.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I thought I did a few years ago. My left foot was killing me. As soon as I got out of bed in the morning, I could barely walk. I limped all day and by the time I got home from work, my whole foot was killing me. I thought it was gout, because both of my parents have had problems with it, s I went to a foot doctor. It turned out to be a Morton's Neuroma.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My big toe hurt today and I thought I had it, it's gone away so I think I accidentally stubbed it. Gout lasts longer than 12 hours right? And it wasn't warm like I've heard gout swelling is

T.I (uh oh)

Oct 29, 2017
I got prescribed colchicine a few months ago. Was told, 2 tablets now then 1 tablet every 3-4 hours.
I took 4 tablets total (2, 1, 1) over a 24 hour period, and spent the next 4 days vomitting and diarrhoea. Lost 4kg, but the pain in my toes remained.
Was a terrible experience.

Now I just take over the counter anti-inflammatory tablets when I feel an attack coming on.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
I have gout but havent had a flur up in over a year. Stopped taking the meds my doc prescribed me(would still get attacks with those) and started taking 5 cherry pills a day. I get these from amazon. Been ok ever since.
668c4bab5e6f7e5e4ae0ed2bd1a97b20.png

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I got prescribed colchicine a few months ago. Was told, 2 tablets now then 1 tablet every 3-4 hours.
I took 4 tablets total (2, 1, 1) over a 24 hour period, and spent the next 4 days vomitting and diarrhoea. Lost 4kg, but the pain in my toes remained.
Was a terrible experience.

Now I just take over the counter anti-inflammatory tablets when I feel an attack coming on.
You gotta really be careful with colchicine, that shit is hardcore.

Also, last year in march my doctor made me switch from allopurinol to febuxostat. The first month was pure pain (1 flare up per week), but since then I haven't had a single issue and my diet was complete shit for a few months, tbh.
I don't know what's the big difference between both medications, but holy shit is febuxostat effective.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Had to go to the Emergency Room in December because I got a flare up in both my ankles, my right knee, and my right wrist.

I finally started taking meds and stopped drinking. Hopefully that never happens again.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Well I don't know if it's the steroids or what but I can move my foot without it feeling like something is being ripped out of it, so progress is being had. I'll be able to sleep tonight, hopefully without waking up at 5am feeling like I've been stabbed.

I have gout but havent had a flur up in over a year. Stopped taking the meds my doc prescribed me(would still get attacks with those) and started taking 5 cherry pills a day. I get these from amazon. Been ok ever since.
668c4bab5e6f7e5e4ae0ed2bd1a97b20.png

I'll give this a shot too. I'm sure it's a YMMV type deal but I need to stave this mess off.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
I used to have flare up once a year for a few years. It hasn''t happened since I started to restrict my carb intake (been through carnivorous diet, keto diet, but now I just try to keep it under 100g a day). The typical stuff that they say could be triggers (red meat, purine) are definitely not my triggers because I can eat a lot of them. GL OP.

Last edited:

MadraptorMan

Oct 27, 2017
Niigata, Japan
Surprised by the number of people relying (seemingly successfully) on home remedies. I just went with my doctor's recommendation after periodic bloodwork since January and have settled on 200mg of allopurinol a day, which seems to be doing the job well. I don't really have to be careful about what I eat or drink these days.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
My dad went to the doctor a couple years ago for what he thought was gout. It turned out to be rheumatoid arthritis in every joint in his body.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well I don't know if it's the steroids or what but I can move my foot without it feeling like something is being ripped out of it, so progress is being had. I'll be able to sleep tonight, hopefully without waking up at 5am feeling like I've been stabbed.

I'll give this a shot too. I'm sure it's a YMMV type deal but I need to stave this mess off.
Tart cherry is one of the few things that stimulates your body to piss out the purine (or uric acid, not sure anymore which it is you're pissing out) faster, so it should help in any case in the future.
Once you have a flare up, there's unfortunately not much you can do other than wait it out and take colchicine or pain meds.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Couple years ago I got hit by gout and kidney stone combo. I also found out I am allergic to NSAID. I don't know how but I managed to survive the ordeal without taking any pain medication. Unfortunately that fucked up my pain scale ever since.

Got another gout attack a month ago. Pain isn't even funny anymore.

OP
OP
Choppasmith

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

My condolences definitely sounds like my experience too. I guess since it's my thread getting bumped I should say I'm doing much better. I'm drinking much more water. I only had a really bad flare up back in February because I had varicose vein surgery and the lack of activity and water had it come back with a vengeance. I haven't needed the colchicine since either (but I keep it around just to be safe)