• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Do it bro, I'm in the same boat as you. Disabled and home a lot plus huge wall. I'm totally going for a giant TV whenever I can afford it.

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Do it bro, I'm in the same boat as you. Disabled and home a lot plus huge wall. I'm totally going for a giant TV whenever I can afford it.
Not yet. I hope that size shows up at Best Buy for <$2k.

It's really a shame there's no other local electronics stores that will do everything anymore (except for the little home theater stores which are way out of my price range).

kagete

Oct 27, 2017
Omg, what did he say after that happened?? Was he able to exchange it for a new set or was he out thousands?

I was very cautious, but this was basically my nightmare scenario setting up my new CX recently.

His pride was hurt more than anything really. The screen itself was cracked beyond repair and he paid out of pocket for a panel replacement that was 80% the cost of the brand new TV. We insisted he just shop around and buy a new one but due to his pride he went for a repair instead that took almost a month to schedule.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
That's kinda been my concern with getting a TV.

I've been rocking a 1080p BenQ projector for the past 4 years (still works as good as new) with a 120 inch screen and I'm not sure if I'll find a 65 inch oled or 85 inch 900h all that impressive.

I had the Benq W1070+ for years at 120" and only just recently upgraded to the W2700 for 4k/60 HDR on PS5/XSX. I was on the fence about getting a TV instead but after checking many of the usual suspects out I simply could not go down in screen size to 85", 120" is just too good to pass up.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
I have a 77" OLED and sit just over 10' away with the TV mounted. I upgraded from a 65" and it took some time to adjust but now wouldn't go smaller.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
I have an 85" Sony (replacing an 82" Samsung that died just over a year after purchasing it).

We sit about 12 feet back, and I love it. I had to get an aftermarket stand (I really didn't want to wall mount it) because my entertainment center wasn't deep enough for the legs. It's been in the house about a week and I love it.

I went back and forth over getting this or the 77" CX, but in the end I just don't trust my kids to not leave it on a static image and cause burn in. And at 85", it truly feels cinematic watching movies.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Size always trumps picture quality. Always.

Go 85", you won't regret it.
I can't agree with that at all.
The difference between a 77" OLED and an 85" LCD at typical viewing distances is equivalent to bringing the seats about a foot forward, or wall mounting one vs placing the other on a stand - and the OLED will look a lot better.

You can get a much larger image than 85" with a projector (mine is currently around 130") but the image quality is not comparable to a flat panel display.
Obviously I do see value in image size, since I have a projector, but I'd pick the smaller display if it's between a 77" OLED and an 85" LCD. It's not a big difference.

9ft is the optimal viewing distance for 4K on an 85" display, at just over 100 pixels per degree.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I can't agree with that at all.
The difference between a 77" OLED and an 85" LCD at typical viewing distances is equivalent to bringing the seats about a foot forward, or wall mounting one vs placing the other on a stand - and the OLED will look a lot better.

You can get a much larger image than 85" with a projector (mine is currently around 130") but the image quality is not comparable to a flat panel display.
Obviously I do see value in image size, since I have a projector, but I'd pick the smaller display if it's between a 77" OLED and an 85" LCD. It's not a big difference.

Well when we're equating for price, an 85" 900H is equivalent to a 65" CX. That's a massive difference in size.

The CX77 is certainly worth considering, and I'd take it over an 85" 900H anyday, but it's also nearly double the price, so that's worth considering.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After our basement remodel is done, I was thinking of going bigger than the 75" set we had down there previously. Do you start to notice pixels more when you get into that size range? I wasn't planning on getting an 8k set for another 10 years or so, but would an 85" screen be a use case for it, even if there's no real 8k content to speak of?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Check out the TK800M. It's OOS a lot of places, but you can backorder it and it's $999 right now instead of $1500.

www.bhphotovideo.com

BenQ TK800M HDR XPR 4K UHD DLP Home Theater Projector

Buy BenQ TK800M HDR XPR 4K UHD DLP Home Theater Projector featuring Brightness of 3000 ANSI Lumens, UHD 4K 3840 x 2160 On-Screen Resolution, Full HD (1920 x 1080) Native Resolution, HDR10 & HLG Support, 1.1x Zoom and 1.5 to 1.65:1 Throw Ratio, Two HDMI Inputs, Supports Multiple 3D Formats...

That's a 1080p projector. Sure it supports 4K input, but I wouldn't buy a projector with only 1080p output today.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
That's a 1080p projector. Sure it supports 4K input, but I wouldn't buy a projector with only 1080p output today.
It does pixel shifting 4k. It's widely well reviewed as a great projector with good image quality.

If you want a true 4k, sure, spend $1,000+ more. I'll wait for that to drop in price, this is a solid and well reviewed one for the price point.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
At less than $2000, that's about the best balance of size, quality, and price you can expect. I wouldn't expect to find any TV better than the 900H at that size and price any time soon. If you want to go big, and it looks like you may sit far enough away to justify that, I'd go for it.

I love my 55" 900E, but my biggest regret was not going larger. I may not have actually picked up my OLED if I had gone larger in the first place, but I was able to go OLED while getting a 65" at a good deal. Now, I've moved and the room it's in now, it sits farther away than it did at my old place, so I kinda wish it was bigger. It's still doing great, so I'm not going to change it any time soon, but if it ever needs replacing, I'll probably be considering something larger. Given that LG Oleds jump in price significantly above 65", that would need to potentially be an LCD. Though, who knows how prices will be a few years down the road.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I have an 82" 4K Samsung and I love it. I could never go back to a smaller screen again!

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
As an aside, having just moved house with a 65" TV, for the sake of your sanity make sure you're not planning to move in the immediate future before you buy something even bigger.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
hey op- i was recently in the same situation as yours- getting a 65 OLED or go for 75 inch.. i chose the 75 inch (Sony x900H) and have zero regrets! go with big if you can!

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
As an aside, having just moved house with a 65" TV, for the sake of your sanity make sure you're not planning to move in the immediate future before you buy something even bigger.
That's why I'd rather not wall mount but with I'd have to buy a new stand, dispose of the old one and the TV and have it ready before the new tv comes- being I'm disabled this is not feasible. I really need it to happen all st once.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
xnMCBUc.jpg

Ignore the poor cable mgt and plastic on the windows.

I'm disabled and am at home a lot, I've spent a lot of time over the past year watching TV.

My 65" Vizio TV you see here is pretty much dead (turns on and off at random, bugged out screen), and at first I was thinking OLED, but I've seen the Sony 85X900H <$2k at times, and will probably come down even more. I have plenty of room on that side, and am thinking bigger would be better for me rather than a smaller OLED. My main problem is that outside wall is brick so it will cost me more to mount it.

Wondering if anyone has a 85" and what they think of it?

Is a projector possible at all for you? I had a 120" epson home cinema and it was easily the best viewing experience I've had. They're obviously not as crisp as top tier tvs but they still have damn good picture quality and they're actually cheaper than tvs.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
75 in here. Looking to go larger in the next year ago. I don't think I could ever go smaller again.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Price was definitely a factor in my choosing the 85" Sony.

For $2000 you get 4K 120hz, two HDMI 2.1 ports, and VRR coming in a future firmware update. Plus a massive 85" picture that is supposedly on par or better than the Samsung Q80T (depending on light conditions) which is currently $1,000 more at the same size ($1,800 more if the Sony becomes available at $2000 again but I imagine they would both go on sale at the same time). I really got the impression that Sony wants PS5 gamers to buy into this particular product line for this generation.

I'm sure those 77" OLEDs are nice but TV tech seems to be obsolete in less than 5 years these days so spending $3,500 to $4,000 doesn't seem worth it right this second.

After our basement remodel is done, I was thinking of going bigger than the 75" set we had down there previously. Do you start to notice pixels more when you get into that size range? I wasn't planning on getting an 8k set for another 10 years or so, but would an 85" screen be a use case for it, even if there's no real 8k content to speak of?

If you stand like three feet away yeah you can start to see pixels on a lot of shows that are streamed.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
I have an 82" TV in the living room. We have a very large living room with high ceilings, so it doesn't seem crazy big in the context of the room.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
ain't no one ever complained about getting too big a TV.

That said you can also get the same result by sitting a little closer. In our living room we have a 65in hanging above the fireplace w/ a dropdown mount which gets it about a foot off the wall, prolly 10ft from the couch and feels plenty big. Downstairs we have a 47in but sit a little closer. At a certain point you'll be so close you need to move your eyes to see the entire picture, which would not work so well for gaming.

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Do you know if they added wood studs against the block walls when it was renovated? I notice there is an outlet in the wall with your tv. Sometimes contractors build stud walls against block to make it easier to route outlets and add drywall.
Probably not. They did a shit job, there's not even support beams in the crawl space, just metal straps. There's no insulation between the drywall and the brick, that's for sure.

71RBHtYtK8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/FITUEYES-Universal-Swivel-Adjustable-FTT107003GB/dp/B01CORQRX0/

Since my current stand isn't big enough to fit the TV with it's legs I'm thinking this might be an alternative to wall mounting- I can then fit this on my stand. A little concerned my cat might knock it over.

Last edited:

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had the Benq W1070+ for years at 120" and only just recently upgraded to the W2700 for 4k/60 HDR on PS5/XSX. I was on the fence about getting a TV instead but after checking many of the usual suspects out I simply could not go down in screen size to 85", 120" is just too good to pass up.

Thanks, I'll look into that one for when my BenQ HT2050 starts losing steam.

But yeah, I was this close to getting a TV this year (with all the Oled talk on this form) until deciding to put it off to next year for when I get a PS5 but the more time passes the more I feel like just sticking to projectors. Also really don't want to deal with burn in, banding etc. with something as expensive as the CX.

Lchero

Jan 24, 2018
I used to have a 75" 900E for a dedicated gaming/movie room. I sold it because because of blooming, especially with HDR content. Now I have a 65" C9. Although I miss the size, there is a night and day difference with dark room viewing and HDR. I sat about 10 feet away, sometimes I think the viewing distance and poor viewing angles didn't help.

Drensch

Oct 27, 2017
I had a 120 projector screen which was awesome. And I own the tv you're looking at. It's great. The only issue, if it's not being wall mounted is that it has a huge footprint. Great tv otherwise, hold out for under two grand if you can.

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I used to have a 75" 900E for a dedicated gaming/movie room. I sold it because because of blooming, especially with HDR content. Now I have a 65" C9. Although I miss the size, there is a night and day difference with dark room viewing and HDR. I sat about 10 feet away, sometimes I think the viewing distance and poor viewing angles didn't help.
I have a 65XBR900E mounted in my bedroom. Picked up a floor model at Best Buy a few years ago for $750. Nice picture although my Vizio had a better one (until it broke).

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Got my 85" today. Pic in OP.
Congrats OP. I am gonna take the 85inch plunge before too much longer (too many windows in my space for projection). Just waiting a bit for the HDMI 2.1 stuff to be a bit more squared away. CES was a bit of a bust other then the TCL

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Congrats OP. I am gonna take the 85inch plunge before too much longer (too many windows in my space for projection). Just waiting a bit for the HDMI 2.1 stuff to be a bit more squared away. CES was a bit of a bust other then the TCL
I got Freesync/VRR working with my 2080Ti @ 4k/60Hz. I haven't played any games yet but it does work, at least on the desktop. The TCL 75R635 I returned wouldn't even get a signal from the card.

Nice TV, probably the nicest I've ever owned.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I got Freesync/VRR working with my 2080Ti @ 4k/60Hz. I haven't played any games yet but it does work, at least on the desktop. The TCL 75R635 I returned wouldn't even get a signal from the card.

Nice TV, probably the nicest I've ever owned.
how is off angle viewing for you? That's the only knock on the Vizio I have seen.

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
how is off angle viewing for you? That's the only knock on the Vizio I have seen.
I don't know, it's mostly myself and the TV is probably one of the brightest and most uniform I've ever seen. Also the VESA stand I have on swivels so watching it from another location isn't much of an issue. This TV is so big there aren't many "off angles" if you know what I mean.

I might get it calibrated. I need to see if my local Best Buy has an ISF calibrator- it only costs me $50 to have it done.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have the 75 inch version of that Vizio P Quantum X TV that I purchased two weeks ago. I'm loving it. 85 inches would be too big for the size of my living room. I am 9 feet away from the 75 inch TV. Just like you OP, it's the nicest TV I've ever owned, but it is a bit buggy. Hopefully, some firmware updates over time fixes some of the issues.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
my moto is bigger is always better for tvs. my downstairs is 105", upstairs is about 140" in 16x9 and 180" in 2.4:1

congrats on the new tv op

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Congrats OP! We're still rocking a 39", 1080P, LED, Toshiba I got for $200 in 2013. We keep saying we'll replace it when it dies but... it's just chuggin'. I'm not sure if it'll die anytime in the next 5 years. I look forward to the massive upgrade we'll get when that day comes though; 4K/8K, 70"+, gonna be beautiful.