• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright Cooking Era I'm in the market for a new chef's knife. I'm not exactly Alan Ducasse nor is my kitchen Alinea. So I just need something solid for a home cook that isn't crazy expensive and I can sharpen when need too.

What should I get Cooking Era (probably off of Amazon)?

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Cheap and you won't be worried about ruining it. Just get yourself some quality whetstones (spend 2-3x as much as the cost of this knife on those) and learn how to sharpen it perfectly without worrying about the cost/ruining it.

Once you feel comfortable sharpening on your own, jump to a solid JP knife like a Shun 8" chef's knife.

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
Get a Zwilling Chefs Knife either 16 or 20cm depending on your hand size, this will probably be enough for 90% of your needs in the kitchen. The other 10% can be achieved with a carving knife.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I've done my research by reading a bunch of Reddit threads. Beginner budget friendly chef's knife? You buy a Victorinox knife. I bought their cheap $30ish dollar knife and it's been great for me. It's still sharp after daily use for about half a year now.

And definitely get a whetstone and learn to use it. Doesn't have to be an expensive one either.

FunkyStudent

Jan 28, 2019
Like everyone has said, Vibrox is the most bang for your buck cheap knife, but the steel is kind of gummy so it doesn't sharpen well.

If you want something that's much sharper, a Tojiro DP 210cm is absolutely worth the bump in price considering this is something you'll be using for years.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I like my global chef's knife a lot, but the best recommendation IMO is to try out several different knives to see how they feel in your hand. Weight and balance are things only you can judge.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017

Cheap and you won't be worried about ruining it. Just get yourself some quality whetstones (spend 2-3x as much as the cost of this knife on those) and learn how to sharpen it perfectly without worrying about the cost/ruining it.

Once you feel comfortable sharpening on your own, jump to a solid JP knife like a Shun 8" chef's knife.
ill vouch for this one. its the one i got when i was looking.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
I've done my research by reading a bunch of Reddit threads. Beginner budget friendly chef's knife? You buy a Victorinox knife. I bought their cheap $30ish dollar knife and it's been great for me. It's still sharp after daily use for about half a year now.

And definitely get a whetstone and learn to use it. Doesn't have to be an expensive one either.
Absolutely go with the Vicotrinox knives. It's a great recommendation. They have by far the best handles that won't slip no matter how wet, oily, or covered in fat your hands are. They price is right. They're durable and can be easily sharpened all the way to the tang.

I've been using mine 3 times a day for years and I love it.

Also, the quality of a knife is not determined y how rarely it has to be sharpened. All knives need regular sharpening if they're actually being used. So again, Blooded hands is right here and get a sharpener. A whetstone is good and can be cheap, but it takes practice. I love mine, but if you don't like the process you may be better off finding a good electric sharpener. Chef's Choice makes a really good and well reviewed sharpener.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

This

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
Another vote for the Victorinox. I had a much more expensive Henckels chefs knife that I liked but ended up switching to the Victorinox because it's just that good.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
I'm totally new to this, but isn't the rod to maintain the knife? Wouldn't I still need to buy something to sharpen it? Or would I be fine with just the rod?
Yeah, you're correct. The rod or the steel is to help maintain the edge as it tends to fold over and get small bends and chips. The steel can delay the need for sharpening, but at some point you need a proper sharpener which removes metal and establishes a fresh edge.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
The Fibrox line overall is also a good default for beater or lesser-used knives—bread knife, boning knife, etc.—to fill out your set for your specific needs, even if you move on to a higher-end main knife at some point. Beats buying some expensive knife set.

I'm totally new to this, but isn't the rod to maintain the knife? Wouldn't I still need to buy something to sharpen it? Or would I be fine with just the rod?

While I guess in theory some honing rods could have enough grit to remove material and technically be sharpening, in general you're correct and honing rods are just about maintaining the edge and keeping it straight.

Ablacious

Dec 23, 2018
Yeah, a rod before use is just general maintenance. A stone would be for non-regular maintenance. Like changing wiper fluid vs tires.
I have that knife and use the ceramic honing rod on it since like others have said it's a bit weird to set on a stone.