• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you going to play it at launch?

• Yes!

Votes: 151 43.4%
  • No I’m not interested

Votes: 60 17.2%
  • I’m going to wait for it to go down in price

Votes: 137 39.4%

• Total voters
Jun 17, 2018
I adored the original but I'm not confident that they won't ruin it after the other 2 releases. The atmosphere in the original is sublime.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Less than three days out, goodness I'm so hyped! I hope the PC performance on this engine is greatly improved as I'll be spending all my time there. Can't sleep! I hope Hangar 13 knock it out of the park, everything I've seen looks so promising! Can't wait to hang out Salieri's bar again, and just drive for years around Lost Heaven. Gaaaaaah!

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I don't want to jump in at launch but not due to any desire to wait for the price to go down or anything. I just generally wait for a few patches before I play games.

NikkiNailZ

Oct 27, 2017
Loved Mafia 3 and barely played the original Mafia when it was released so i can't wait. I really hope this has the combat system of Mafia 3.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Today they talked about the Free Ride mod that is going to be in the game and how it's basically a mix between the Free Ride mod and Free Ride Extreme mod from the original game
"The basic idea is that Free Ride allows players to explore Lost Heaven freely without any mission objectives. It's an opportunity to check out the beautiful vistas around the city, test drive the vehicles in your garage, find collectibles out in the world, and maybe uncover a few secrets.
When you enter Free Ride, you'll start at Salieri's Bar, with access to your garage, wardrobe, and armory, plus the ability to change the time of day and weather.
We added a big rural area to the north of the city, and the main story only takes you out to a couple of spots. There are a lot of great views and little places to discover up there. Also, all those long country roads and dirt tracks are perfect for putting vehicles through their paces."

On the other hand, the game is going to use Denuvo which fucking sucks

Playing the original game right now for the first time - well second, but that was probably 15 years ago and I didn't finished it - and it's really great.. having a lot of fun with it :)

fr1-full.jpg

fr2-full.jpg

Last edited:

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Mafia 3 was a buggy mess for me so probably going to wait for some impressions and a sale.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know if I want to get it digital or physical, but hell yes I am. Vividly remember loving the original as a teenager.... even though I never actually beat it.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Yes really looking forward to it. Playing through Mafia II Definitive Edition at the minute

Astrates

Sep 13, 2020
Yes really looking forward to it. Playing through Mafia II Definitive Edition at the minute
How's it running for you, I know at release there were some concerns raised but not sure if these have been patched out?

I'm hoping to see reviews for the Remaster of 1 before buying but I'd like to buy the Trilogy if I do as I enjoyed 2 a lot and I really should give 3 the time to actually complete it

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
How's it running for you, I know at release there were some concerns raised but not sure if these have been patched out?

I'm hoping to see reviews for the Remaster of 1 before buying but I'd like to buy the Trilogy if I do as I enjoyed 2 a lot and I really should give 3 the time to actually complete it
I'm playing on the One X, and the game does freeze / crash to the home screen every so often, but it hasn't put me off as checkpoint saves are frequent enough. I also had a weird graphical glitch when driving in fog one time, where the lighting started going crazy, but other than that it's been fine. It would've been nice to see some more effort put into the remaster, but I love Mafia II so not going to let it put me off.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Today they talked about the Free Ride mod that is going to be in the game and how it's basically a mix between the Free Ride mod and Free Ride Extreme mod from the original game
"The basic idea is that Free Ride allows players to explore Lost Heaven freely without any mission objectives. It's an opportunity to check out the beautiful vistas around the city, test drive the vehicles in your garage, find collectibles out in the world, and maybe uncover a few secrets.
When you enter Free Ride, you'll start at Salieri's Bar, with access to your garage, wardrobe, and armory, plus the ability to change the time of day and weather.
We added a big rural area to the north of the city, and the main story only takes you out to a couple of spots. There are a lot of great views and little places to discover up there. Also, all those long country roads and dirt tracks are perfect for putting vehicles through their paces."

On the other hand, the game is going to use Denuvo which fucking sucks

Playing the original game right now for the first time - well second, but that was probably 15 years ago and I didn't finished it - and it's really great.. having a lot of fun with it :)

fr1-full.jpg

fr2-full.jpg

That just sounds like regular free ride. Extreme had objectives, often really wacky ones. This gives me the impression they're not present at all. Which would suck.

Scotch

Oct 28, 2017
Waiting for first impressions but yeah I'll probably buy it.

I prefered Mafia 1 over GTA 3 at the time.

Astrates

Sep 13, 2020
I'm playing on the One X, and the game does freeze / crash to the home screen every so often, but it hasn't put me off as checkpoint saves are frequent enough. I also had a weird graphical glitch when driving in fog one time, where the lighting started going crazy, but other than that it's been fine. It would've been nice to see some more effort put into the remaster, but I love Mafia II so not going to let it put me off.
Thank you for the response.

Glad to hear that although present its not overly detrimental

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wanna wait for gpu benchmarks and just overall pc performance thread

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
That just sounds like regular free ride. Extreme had objectives, often really wacky ones. This gives me the impression they're not present at all. Which would suck.

Well, in the same press release is this mentioned:
"Of course, longtime Mafia fans may remember the more absurd aspects of the original Free Ride that exist way outside the story's canon. "I think like most players, I loved Free Ride Extreme in particular," recalls Vévoda. "After all the serious Mafia business of the main story, surreal challenges like shooting a sea monster or tailing an invisible man were a lot of fun and a great way to spend extra hours in the world once the story was complete."

Will those sillier elements return in Mafia: Definitive Edition's Free Ride? "All I can say is: The truth is out there," Vévoda remarks. You'll have to see what secrets you can uncover for yourself in Free Ride when Mafia: Definitive Edition launches later this week."

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got the message they are sending it today. Let's see if it comes out on time or on monday like usual...

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Pre-load's installing on my Xbox right now, seriously hyped to play this after being unable to complete the original back at launch.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Waiting for my physical copy. Can't wait! Just beat Mafia 3 and had fun with it, even with the repetitious mission structure.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Posted in a separate thread but good lord the launch trailer looks incredible.

EDIT: never mind, has gone private now

Last edited:
May 31, 2018
Ohio
I'll probably wait for a sale, it'll definitely be in the Steam Winter sale, possibly even the entire trilogy.

I will be playing it though.

Zoso

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely. I'm currently replaying the first Mafia and it's still such a great game. Excited to see how Hangar 13 has expanded the characters and story in the remake.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
It's really the only game i want to play right now but i am stuck on a 960 video card right now. I might play it anyhow if the reviews say it is optimized. Mafia 3 ran fine on my 770 gtx.