• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes I get tired of watching movies. But then, I feel some sort of guilt for not keeping up and watching a movie every day (which is silly and a hard thing to do, I know). But right now, I'm just not in the mood to watch movies. I would rather play a game, or watch a TV show. However sometimes I go through periods where I could watch a movie a day. Does anyone else go through these cycles with games, movies, books, etc.? Does anyone feel a weird sense of guilt for not watching enough stuff?

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Sometimes I get in the mood to play RPG 's. Sometimes I'm in the mood to watch a shit load of western films. Right now I'm in a huge anime phase.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
It could be worse. You could be me! I go through you-tuber reaction phases!
I regret nothing.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Oh all the time. I'll have a stack of 15 games and not want to play any of them so I spend like 3 weeks watching movies and then finally decide to play one.

Also I've been doing Sundance for the last 2 weeks and watched 42 films since January 22nd lmao, I am quite looking forward to playing some video games once my coverage is done.

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
Constantly. I'm a dad working 2 jobs, so time is limited. As such, I'm forced to rotate what I do. Read a book to completion, then maybe watch stuff for a few days, then move on to a game until I beat it, then go to something else. I don't feel guilt over it though. There's only so much time in a day.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely go through those phases. Right now I just want to watch movies and I haven't played a game for more than a couple of hours in the last couple of months. According to Letterboxd I've watched 55 movies so far this year, lol.

I wouldn't say I feel guilty for neglecting one kind of media over another, but I definitely get where you're coming from. I've let my book-reading habit lapse pretty badly over the last few weeks, and it's not like I'm breaking the rules or anything but I know I'm missing out on a thing I really enjoy. There are only so many hours in the day, though, so whaddyagonnado? I'll come back around to it on the next phase :P

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Gaming is like that for me. I'm currently in a PC phase, then I might be in a Switch phase, then PS4, then cycle through again. Depends on what shiny thing captures my attention (or if my wife is using the TV).

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Only media I feel like this with is video games, probably because they take so much longer. I'm either playing 2 hours a night minimum or not at all.

I read everyday and watch ~3 films a week minimum.

Mar 30, 2019
Yep. I stopped playing games for a span of a month after I beat Three Houses about 2 months ago. Just didn't feel like playing anything. Then *whoosh* I beat three games in a frenzy.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
All the time, sometimes there's just nothing I want to play immediately even with a massive backlog so I'll watch some movies I've been sitting on instead or try a series I've heard good things about. Eventually I'll want to play something and I'll put any 'watching' on the back burner.

I definitely don't feel guilty though, id feel some guilt or regret at least if I forced myself through a game, movie, or show even though I wasn't feeling them at the time/anymore

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I usually only get into movies during the Summer blockbuster/awards seasons. I also listen to music year round, but have to be in a mood to discover new music. Most of the time I just listen to old favorites. I also fall in and out of anime.

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
Yeah, it happens to me especially with anime. I used to watch as many seasonal animes as I could, years later I started missing a few shows, then I felt guilty or overwhelmed for missing so many episodes and that feeling eventually made me stop watching anime altogether. Since January I'm watching anime again, slowly going through my backlog and watching the shows that are interesting to me this season.
Big backlogs in general just make me feel stressed, and that applies to anime, video games and tv shows.

Nov 1, 2017
I go through phases where I'm obsessed with movies or video games, and then I have phases where I'm more obsessed with actually productive things (like drawing or painting, strength training) and do not play video games for months on end. I don't regret that I have ever spent time exercising or creating art, but i have regret spending too much time playing video games and mindlessly watching tv and whatnot. At some point you need to consider how much time is too much time spent on these things, when a healthy relaxing hobby becomes a timesinking addiction.

Last edited:

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I go through phases all the time, but kind of with everything in life haha.

I'll have the same breakfast for two months straight then not eat it for like, a year, while I go through a few other every-day deals. Sometimes I get a coffee every other day. Sometimes it's once a month.

With media it's no different. Sometimes I wanna watch movies. Sometimes it's specific movies. Maybe I just want new stuff. Or rewatches only. Perhaps games sound better. I have genre phases there way more.

But I get the "feeling bad" you're talking about when you just don't feel up to doing something. Can say that the best thing is to push that thought aside, and just don't mull on it afterwards. You aren't beholden to a daily movie, it's fine. For me, I had too many "dailies" in my games that I was way happier after dropping. Both in general but also with the games. Gotta try not to make your entertainment a job.