• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just bought one here in Portugal. It seems I got one just when Europe decided to overhaul it's drone laws in every country. Now I have to register on a bunch of platforms just to fly my Mavic Mini and not worry about getting a fine.

Oh I wish I could just put my drone in the air and have a bit of fun respecting the maximum height :c

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
In the US, the FAA came out with new rules for drones.

"Remote ID is a must for all drones over the half-pound weight limit. Obviously, there are a large number of hobbyist drones in operation that lack Remote ID capability. To get around this, the FAA says that such drones should be affixed with a "Remote ID broadcast module" that would broadcast the relevant information. The only other alternative is to fly a drone solely at specific "FAA-recognized identification areas."

The FAA has created four categories [PDF] for drones. Category 1 is for drones under the weight limit that are not covered by this rule-making. Categories 2 and 3 are essentially defined by the amount of injury they could cause in a crash, while Category 4 is for drones that need an airworthiness certificate. Category 1-3 drones are permitted to operate over people, but not continuously fly above moving vehicles.

Drones operating under the cover of darkness will need navigation lights viewable from three miles away. Those wishing to fly at night will need to pass a test first.

Both UPS and Amazon have received federal approval for limited drone deliveries, and the new rules are seen as a positive for them and other companies looking to commercialize delivery by drone.

The new rules will take effect 60 days after publication in the Federal Register. "

arstechnica.com

FAA finally sets rules for piloting small drones

All drones weighing over a quarter kilogram will need Remote ID transmitters.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Category 1 is for drones under the weight limit that are not covered by this rule-making.

Yep, my DJI Mini 2 is under the weight limit so it isn't covered by many of the rules.

I've been having a blasts flying mine, it's fantastic both for aerial video and just still picture shooting. I've always loved photography but my new drone takes it to a whole new level!