• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
I remember my 1st time in Dallas. Was super fucking dry hot and I was sweating like crazy. It was hilarious because all the Dallas locals were just walking around as if everything was normal.

I wasn't the only visitor or tourist that kept making remarks of how hot it was. Is it because of the grid structure of the city and the heat being trapped so densely?

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
I moved from Scotland to the south of France. Winter here is me in a light jacket and everyone else wrapped up like it's the Arctic.
Summer is me sweating to death in a t-shirt and everyone else in a light jacket.

Marin-Lune

Oct 27, 2017
First time I went to Hong Kong, early September, with a typhoon nearby. Was freaking hot and HUMID. Walked 5 minutes in the streets, was drenched in sweat. I was there for work, I remember looking like a complete ass in front of who would eventually be my boss.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I thought I knew the definition of heat.

That is until I was introduced to Las Vegas and 110F+ temperatures. I was sweating when it was 9 in the morning. Every walk outside was like this:

giphy.gif

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
I'm in the middle of the UK and France/Spain is the hottest place I've been so not really. Went to Tokyo last year but it was exactly as I expected (red hot some days, pissing down with rain some others).

Probably the most interesting was when we went to Spain for Christmas one year and walked along the beach in our t shirt and shorts on Christmas Day, pretty unique experience.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
As a kid we moved from Wisconsin to Yuma Arizona in wintertime and I had the hotel pool all to myself lol

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I visit the East Coast in the summer I get smacked in the face with the humidity.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Been to New Orleans twice at this point. First time I went was in fucking August.

Despite that it was still better than PHoenix.

CarbonCrush

Oct 27, 2017
U.K. resident visiting Dubai during summer. The country is literally a humid oven. I'll never forget that feeling the first time i left the airport into the open AC less air.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
First time I went to Hong Kong, early September, with a typhoon nearby. Was freaking hot and HUMID. Walked 5 minutes in the streets, was drenched in sweat. I was there for work, I remember looking like a complete ass in front of who would eventually be my boss.
It used to be that you sometimes get looks if you walk around eating ice cream during winter. On the other hand, moving from HK to Canada when I was kid, I was shocked to see people eating ice cream in below freezing temperatures.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh here's a different kind of shock: visiting the L.A. area where my brother lives and being shocked by how nice the weather is, constantly, throughout the whole year.

Made them soft af though. They suffer when they leave their comfort bubble.

Oct 27, 2017
Newnan, GA
I moved from NY to GA a few years ago. I'm still not used to the humidity in the Summer. It is nice that pretty much every building has central air, but walking outside in business casual clothing sucks!

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Living in the southern hemisphere means almost everytime I travel I have some kinda weather shock.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
Lived my entire life in FL and then moved to WV with my wife. I scraped ice off a windshield for the first time in my life the first day I lived here. I saw snowfall for the first time. I found I really enjoy cold weather way more than warm. Just suits me.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I'll always get a cold the first week in Japan or South Korea. It's not even the cold, as I always travel there during the summer. The heat and humidity is pretty similar to Malaysia.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
When I traveled from Cleveland, Ohio to Los Angeles, California a few years ago the air and overall feel of Los Angeles felt like there was a film of garbage all around. Turns out that was the smog. When I went back home to Cleveland, that feeling was gone, like I could breathe again.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Traveling to Philippines in 2016 I remember the absolute shock at the change of temperature when I got off the plane. I traveled through Canada then Japan first and their Airports are fully climate controlled. But then I arrived in Manila and as soon as i stepped off the plane a WAVE of heat hit me. Since then tho i believe the Manila airport is fully climate controlled as well now.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I assume most people have when traveling to certain places.

Bangkok was probably my worst. The noticeable pollution made the heat worse.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Originally from Scotland & the heat & humidity in Osaka & Kobe last Autumn was something else, couldn't believe there were RWC tests going on in closed roof stadiums.

On the other end of the spectrum, spending December in Minnesota & Manitoba was an experience, the locals were quite happily wandering around in ~-30C, my clothes did not really work there.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
I remember going to Anaheim, CA to go to Disneyland when I was younger, and it was amazing how different things were without the humidity of FL's weather in the summer.

(Granted I was also in CA when there was an unusual cold front for the summer going through, which just so happened to go away when I was leaving. lol)

Oct 27, 2017
OP, that was me in Austin. I don't know how people were just casually walking around to places, while I was on bird scooters, exerting no effort, and still sweating. I just abnormally sweat though. It sucks

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I went to Vegas in July of 2017 and was shocked at how hot I instantly felt when leaving the plane.

Nakazato

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. We moved to from FL to AZ. They Summers in FL are hot and sticky while in the valley its like your putting your head in the oven and the hot air is circulating

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I travel from Maine to Hawaii every winter to visit my family. It always takes me a few days to get used to the heat when I arrive.

PontyfaxJr

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
I'm Irish so I can go almost anywhere else in the world and get knocked on my ass by the weather being outside of our tiny range of mild temperatures.
I spent a christmas in New Orleans and it was unbelievably hot (to me) at like 28-30C. The locals were wearing fucking jackets

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Grew up in the south, never liked the heat.

Now I live in Minnesota and I love it. Summer is amazing and most 60-70 degrees.

Winter is cold as hell, but it has never bothered me. I laugh now when I visit California and people are wearing down coats when it's 55 degrees Fahrenheit. People here wear shorts and t-shirts as soon as it hits 40 degrees.

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how it's possible, but the most humid place I ever visited was right outside MCO (Orlando, FL) airport where you walk across the street to the rent a car garages.

ECD8rTeVUAE7UQf

I can feel the humidity in this picture.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I remember my 1st time in Dallas. Was super fucking dry hot and I was sweating like crazy. It was hilarious because all the Dallas locals were just walking around as if everything was normal.

I wasn't the only visitor or tourist that kept making remarks of how hot it was. Is it because of the grid structure of the city and the heat being trapped so densely?

You're lucky it was dry. It's normally humid as hell in Texas. It's largely hot because Texas is hot, we are just used to it.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I visited Texas (Dallas area too) during the month of October. October in Quebec is when it can start to be pretty cold, and being the dumbass that I am I didn't think about the fact that Texas is pretty far south and it would most likely still be really hot in October. So when we got out of the airport I had a weather shock. It was the first time I went so far down south and the first time I took the plane.

Weather felt like the middle of July here but a less humid. It just felt alien to have this type of weather during October. I don't know how you guys do it down there, couldn't live anywhere where there isn't 4 clear seasons!

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
First time I went to Denver from Atlanta, it was 78 degrees and humid as hell when I left. When I landed in Denver it was 30 degrees and snowing. Now that I live in Denver, I'm no longer prepared for the burst of humidity that punches you in the face when I land back in Atlanta.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
1st time I visited Thailand I thought the heat wasn't too bad when I got off the plane....but when I actually got really outside I thought I'd opened a portal directly to the surface of the sun.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington

Opposite of you. I have definitely been away from the South for a long time... I was in Tennesee last year and the humidity was oppressing! I mean I remember hating humidity even when I lived in Atlanta but holy crap... I think I've managed to adjust to seattle quite well cause ugh! Was very happy to be leaving the next day and getting away from it (it was a stopover... my husband has a small plane and we were flying back from New York and avoided thunderstorms or tried to anyways by going south first). Definitely reminded me why I never want to live in the South again (many reasons honestly but that is one of the many big reasons not to live there).

And no, I don't think that Tennessee is worse than Atlanta. I used to go to Florida every year so I know what worse than Atlanta feels like. I think I am just not adjusted to the humidity anymore and even when I was I didn't find it tolerable. So much worse though when I'm no longer adjusted to it.

Last edited:

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
I've been living in the Dallas area for fifteen years so I'm used to it by now, but we sure do have seasons.

I stayed a day or two in Phoenix a couple years back in the middle of summer when it hit 116 °F (47 °C). The air conditioner in our hotel couldn't keep up with the heat; it was running non-stop just to maintain high 70s. My engine started overheating waiting in the drive-thru at Taco Bell. Good times.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
I live in Chicago and have been to both Vegas and Orlando in the summer and don't remember the temperature being anything other than "warmer than I'm used to." But I remember the first time I went to Tokyo was in August and I stepped out of Narita Airport to the bus area and was just slapped in the face with a humidity that I had never thought was possible.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Years ago, I flew from Nashville to Edmonton on business in August, when I left Nashville the heat index was 100 and something, as soon as I hit the street in Edmonton was like holy fuck this is perfect it was like mid 70s and felt wonderful. I had to fly back in October and left mid 70s in Nashville and it was in the 40s and mornings were below freezing and had snowed the week before....just glad it wasn't Jan

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Good ole blast furnace AZ. That was eye opening to me my first summer there.

Heh... When I was in high school I visited Arizona. I grew up in Atlanta, GA. I immediately learned that i much much much prefer dry heat and what I really hated about Atlanta was more the humidity than the heat (I mean it was 100 in Arizona and I still felt it was nicer than Atlanta). Seattle may not be the most dry place, but compared to Atlanta it is a helluva lot better (and doesn't get as hot either. People here complain when it gets to 80 degrees, my kind of people. People in Atlanta would tell me it wasn't hot when I complained about it being 80).

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
My second trip to Japan I went in August which was a big mistake. I had been there before and stayed all of May and June and the weather was nice. In August though, the humidity was so bad I was a disgusting sweaty mess the whole time. Didn't help that I spent half that time down south in Fukuoka. Going back home to Phoenix was nicer, which really says something.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
I remember the shock I had when I first took a plane from England (where I lived) to Dallas (where I was from) as a kid, seeing all the British people just melt into puddles as they got out of the plane. Lol.

Moving from one to the other a lot have me a bit of a resistance. Having been back in the South for 11 years now, though, I can't stand the cold once more.

Nakazato

Oct 25, 2017