• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 25, 2018
Saw a post about Kid Icarus Uprising and it reminded me of this:

Nintendo-3DS-Circle-Pad-Pro.jpg

The circle pad pro. Basically making the 3DS into a handheld switch because it had an analog stick and shoulder buttons. Found it weird that it had very limited compatibility, but I remember games like RE revelations or MGS3 were practically a new experience with it.

Weird how they pretty much cut support for it. It was okay for KH3D but I remember it was hard to use the face buttons and the 2nd analog.

edit: typo in title

AustinJ

Jul 18, 2018
I bought it for resident evil revelations. I don't think it got much use after that.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A baffling blunder and reminder that nintendo had made a mistake. Obviously it's one that they fixed. Early 3DS adopters got it rough

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I used it for Resident Evil Revelations, Kingdom Hearts 3D and not much else, though I'd have probably used it for Monster Hunter if I hadn't had a New 3DS by the time I got into the series.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I did, back before the new 3DS came out. It was definitely awkward, but welcome in monster hunter 3U. I got the new 3ds monster hunter edition when mh4u came out.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I did for Monster Hunter. It's big but the right stick to control the camera did improve the game by a lot.

Youabra

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spain

The circle pad pro. Basically making the 3DS into a handheld switch because it had an analog stick and shoulder buttons. Found it weird that it had very limited compatibility, but I remember games like RE revelations or MGS3 were practically a new experience with it.

Weird how they pretty much cut support for it. It was okay for KH3D but I remember it was hard to use the face buttons and the 2nd analog.

Played all the monster hunter games with this before getting a New 3DS. I still prefer this over the mini-button the New has.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I still have mine somewhere. One of the Nintendo-iest peripherals around.
Of course, my n3DS completely replaced that abomination.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
Regularly used it when I played at home. Made the original 3DS much more comfortable to hold and was great for games that actually supported it.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's baffling that this thing wasn't supported system wide. The 3DS was SO MUCH MORE comfy to hold with it. I could play Monster Hunter for hours.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
I had to use it to play Kid Icarus Uprising because I'm left handed. Aside from that only ever used it for Resident Evil Revelations.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
Use it a lot for Resident Evil Rev and also Monster Hunter!

For those game it was a game changer for me! Even if I got a New 3DS later, I always found the Circle Pad Pro more confortable than the nub for aiming!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. I got one of the XL ones for my 3DS XL.

Absolutely GINORMOUS but made playing MH a joy in a pre-Switch world.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I always wanted it but it was always out of stock where I live. Became irrelevant once the New 3DS released and I upgraded to it

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Cant believe they apparently didnt hear people bitching about the single stick on PSP for all those years only to fall into the same trap

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
It was the best way to play Snake Eater 3D when it came out. The N3DS replaces any need for it though- I surprisingly don't mind the tiny nub lol.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
I loved that thing and would have used it on every single game if I could have before I got a XL. The circle pad pro made the original 3ds infinitely more comfortable to hold for me and the bigger shoulder buttons were better.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I've used the XL version when I had a regular 3DS XL. I didn't really use it for its intended purpose but it was really, really comfortable as a grip. The 3DS was prone to giving me (and plenty of others) hand cramps after prolonged use. The Circle Pad Pro made those hand cramps go away.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I had the original one but for the life of me I can't remember what I used it for. Probably Kid Icarus and the KH3D demo.
Definetly better than the small one in the newer ones.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I used it for Monster Hunter, it worked well enough I guess, but I didn't find it that comfortable.

twentytwo22

Oct 25, 2017
I bought it for Monster Hunter when I lived in Japan but was so used to PSP monster Hunter controls that I just didn't really bother. It was freaking huge.

Sep 25, 2018

still got it

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yeah, I did. I just handled my OG 3DS after a long time since I'm back at my parents' place for the quarantine and holy fuck, are the ergonomics of this thing bad. I don't know how I could play that thing without herniating my wrist joints.

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
I have one, this thing is better than the nub and made Monster Hunter that much better.
Not really a worthwhile investment but i liked it.

Oct 27, 2017
I mostly used it for the ergonomics, to be honest. Too bad the N3DS didn't have something like that, because the teeny tiny nub isn't comparable to the big ass circle pad from this attachment.

Jun 2, 2019
Oh yes I did, for a loooong time. It was comfortable as fuck and made games like Ironfall and Monster Hunter completely playable.

Stopped using it recently when I got my New 3DS, but the nub is unusable for complex movements

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
It made MH3U, RE:R, and MGS3D much more enjoyable.

Funnily enough, the portable peaked for me around the time this got widespread use. That late-2012-to-late-2013 period was incredible.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
I had one I got for MonHun. I actually clipped it on sometimes while playing animal crossing because it was more ergonomically comfortable to hold than the unit alone

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Yep, I've still got mine. I remember getting a lot of use out of it before picking up the new 3ds xl, especially with the monster hunter games.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Used it on Resident Evil Revelations and MGS3.

Tried to use it to fix the awful Kid Icarus controls since I saw it supported it but all they did was swap the analogue nub that was used, fixing nothing.

blockhead1700

Nov 3, 2017
To me, this thing made the 3DS more comfortable to hold. I much preferred playing monster hunter with the circle pad over the nub on the new 3DS.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i never got it because my 3DS had the capture video mod and it made impossible to attach this thing to the 3DS.