• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Picked this up as I needed some monster catching goodness and I'm surprised by how much fun it is and how it succeeds in areas where Pokemon fails.

For those that don't know its an indie title on the E-shop and takes most of its influence from the DS Pokemon titles.

The battles are fast and never over stay theyre welcome. You could probably finish 3 battles by the time you beat 1 in Pokemon due to all the unnecessary animations and text. It makes grinding way more manageable, especially with the Core system, which are sort of boosters you can craft and equip to your Nexomon and range from getting more gold in battle to more experience, power, immunity from status effects, etc.

The game is also haaaaaard. It eases up as resources become cheaper and cores are introduced but some early fights had me sweating that I haven't felt from Pokemon in a long time. Recent Pokemon games can be mostly completed by mindlessly pressing A through the main campaign with the exception of gym leaders and E4 but you can get wrecked in a simple wild encounter in Nexo. Resource management is key. But with the fights being so snappy I've never felt frustrated.

The artstyle is beautiful. Some areas feel a bit "cheap" where you can see its mobile phone roots from the first game, but this is mostly in houses. The overworld and towns look amazing with great colour palettes (Drake Islands) and most songs so far is very memorable, giving me thos D/P/Pt and B/W sound vibes.

Wild encounters aren't random, you see grass patches shaking to notify you where a Nexomon is so going through a long route (and these routes are loooooong) never feels like a chore.

The writing is also great. It pokes fun at the genre and breaks the 4th wall with some really clever jokes and comedic timing. I've laughed out loud a few times. The more intense side of the story is pretty standard JRPG fare but it gets the job done and gives you motivation.

The monster designs themselves are hit and miss, the standard for these types of games. Oddly enough, they canned all the monsters from the first game on phones, but have said they might add them in a patch later down the line. These ones seem better designed to me too, it might just be my preference. Not to say they arent great designs in Extinction though.

Also there's 9 starters. 9! And you cam find the rest out in the wild.

Its also open world to a degree. These minor road blocks but you have a lot freedom choosing where to go even early on.

I dunno, for what some would call a clone from a small indie company its certainly got a lot of heart and has shown the worlds number 1 franchise a thing or two imo. I'm having a lot more fun with this than in Galar.

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
The games looks too much like a cheap clone to me, tbh. But impressions are really positive and I am sure this will end up in some PC bundle someday and I will give it a try then. Thanks for the impressions.

Currently I am really enjoying Monster Hunter Stories on the 3DS after finishing Yo-Kai Watch 1 a while ago. Both are better than any Pokemon game I've played. I am looking forward to Yo-Kai Watch 2-4. I guess there won't be another Monster Hunter Stories? :-/ I am also still interested in Tem-Tem (which also looks a bit too clone-y IMHO).

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Here, have a Trailer as OP didn't give it to us:

But nope, never heard of it.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Never heard of it, but thanks, will get it asap.

Edit: damn apparently it has level scaling? Still want to try it but what a bummer

Last edited:

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
It picked up my attention a while a go but i first need to clean my backlog. It is wishlisted for now.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Wish the this new Pokemon mmo had the incredible art direction this game has. Like this looks legit like a Pokemon game. Maybe a bit too much going on though.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
70MC score aint too encouraging. The flash animation style doesn't look bad, but this does look very much like a clone right down to item names.
The Stamina thing looks similar to Temtem?

"As well as lowering a potential party member's health and inflicting a status effect, you'll also need to feed it with its favourite food to stand a good chance of getting it to join you "
oh god... wild battles were already a chore for me in Pokemon games

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sea lion

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
70MC score aint too encouraging. The flash animation style doesn't look bad, but this does look very much like a clone right down to item names.
The Stamina thing looks similar to Temtem?

oh god... wild battles were already a chore for me in Pokemon games
I've played Pokemon since Red and Blue and have been a fan all my life. I can say if you like them you will like Nexomon and would personally give it an 85 score.

As for the feeding and capturing, there's tons of items to boost your chances as well as golden Nexotraps which are just master balls. Instead theyre not limited to 1. The cool part is you can see your percentage chance of capture in the capture panel and it gets way easier as you gain more items and boosters. Im only half way through, if that, and can already get wild mon to 80% capture chance very easily.

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
Finished it earlier this week and had tons of fun with it. Hopefully they drop level scaling in the next game, but I'll probably be getting it day one regardless.

Seiez

Oct 29, 2017
Never heard of it, but thanks, will get it asap.

Edit: damn apparently it has level scaling? Still want to try it but what a bummer
The scaling is limited to a certain degree. At the beginning you get the impression that the enemies always scale with you but areas cap off at certain levels.

It basically shows if someone stopped playing after a couple hours and decided to write a review or played the game some more

Other tamers are leveling up their team and even get new mons.

Omegabalmung

Nov 4, 2017
I've played Pokemon since Red and Blue and have been a fan all my life. I can say if you like them you will like Nexomon and would personally give it an 85 score.

As for the feeding and capturing, there's tons of items to boost your chances as well as golden Nexotraps which are just master balls. Instead theyre not limited to 1. The cool part is you can see your percentage chance of capture in the capture panel and it gets way easier as you gain more items and boosters. Im only half way through, if that, and can already get wild mon to 80% capture chance very easily.

Yeah i wasted 3 or 4 nexotraps in the beginning trying to catch some of the nexomon lol.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
And just with the name of the thread instead of "I love Nexomon" or something like that, you know that the thread is going to be a battlefield.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Nope, that looks like too much like a knock-off. Instead I put home brew on my 3ds to play this last week-

images

Link

It was way too easy to install and I am having a blast. This Rom hack has the perfect difficulty curve and plus all mons from honen and national Dex from the start. So random encounters are unique and the pacing is perfect. Also you will have to use some strategy to beat random trainers on the road but it's fair.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
I like that battles never become mindless, the in battle animation is impressive for their budget and some designs are really cool if derivative.

But I can see people who are more about collecting and seeing the world not enjoying that very much.

What puts me off the most though is the aesthetic of the overworld. Looks absolutely awful.

I dropped the game after 20 hours, after my team's final evolution. This is a problem I have with Sword and Shield as well: it is cool that you can get almost any mons from the beginning, but that makes me get my final 6 earlier than usual, and I feel less compelled to play after my party is complete. If I was closer to the end I'd pull through, but there's still half the game to go. I don't feel motivated enough.

Nov 1, 2017
Better than Sw/Sh sounds like damning with faint praise :p. I haven't been in the mood for a mons game since I gave up Pokemon for good. But I'll check this out for sure when I start missing it. Looks interesting.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Only played a few minutes, but I'm enjoying it so far. In general, I think not going in with expectations of how the game ought to be improves my experience with non-Pokemon monster collectors.

I just hope there's a run function for me to unlock.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I'm really enjoying it so far (8.5 hours in).

Battles definitely require more thought than Sw/Sh, as CPUs actually switch, use super-effective moves and scale with you (the game does it really well after the update - it's hard, but not grindy. Pre-update it was veeeeeery grindy) so that the game provides a challenge at all times.

The core system is an interesting way of customising the creatures beyond EVs, and I'm enjoying mixing and matching. Stamina's an interesting concept, but I prefer PP personally.

Music is solid, not on Sw/Sh's level though. The monster cries are very limited in number so it's common for multiple to share a cry.

The Nexomon themselves - there are a lot of fantastic designs here. I love a lot of the base mon like Rubby and Porklet, but many of the evolved forms in this are kinda eh. It's been a recurring thing throughout tbh, the first stage in a line is great, but it's evolutions are off-putting for some reason or another (Porklet going from a cute little bun to a rip-off Pignite with a mane made me drop it altogether, what is it with monster collection games and forcing cute quadripeds into being bipeds?). There are so many mon in the game that it's easy to find good ones though (Lumefur, Croncho and Draniphant are awesome).

The overworld though...... It almost put me off buying the game altogether tbh. It's mobile game roots are veeeeeeeeery obvious, it's just not that nice to look at. Nothing on the devs though, they obviously had a low budget and they've made a huge, sprawling game with it. The battle backgrounds are beautiful, and the actual battles themselves are animated stunningly, far better than Sw/Sh (not a high bar, but still).

It's an indie game, and a really good, dense one at that. The devs have made a really fun experience with the time/budget they had.

It's a solid 8.5/10, does a lot of things right and lays a good foundation for the next game (this is #5 on the Australian eShop last time I checked, so I'm assuming sales are good and a sequel will come).

gaiadyne

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I decided to give the orginal mobile game a chance since it's free to start and I really like it. For only $1 the value proposition is pretty good. It is not as good as the typical Pokemon but pretty solid, I think I'll play this game afterwards.

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Randomly picked it up when I saw it on Twitter. Glad I did because I am enjoying the hell out of it. The game had issues at launch with its spawning system, no exp share, and other QoL stuff but most of it has been fixed on PC and Ps4 version. Just a heads up though the switch version is still 2 patches behind but should be up to date in about a week. Also their Twitter account has been amazing since launch with informing and answering questions about each and every patch for the game.

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
Honestly a lot of fun! I hope it seriously sticks around cos I am having a blast with it, just needs online features like trading and battling

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Preordered and love it on Switch, but nope... enjoyed Sword and Let's Go more.

That said the game is great and it was made with the intention to be like the older Pokemon games. So it might scrath the itch some have.

Though regarding difficulty, developers said that they are fixing some aspects since it was not supposed to be as hard (reduced difficulty at the beginning, extra money to start) as it was and they're adding experience share in some form (won't be like in Sword) in the next update.

Unless they changed it significantly it is a mobile game. It's been out on IOS for a long time.
It is not. It is a sequel actually.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Yay, there's a Nexomon thread now!

I'm 10 hours into the game and I'm having a blast.

• The lack of hand holding. The game gets you started really quickly, and then you're off to the races. A big chunk of the world is yours to explore right off the bat, which means there's plenty of Nexomon that are yours for the catching immediately.
  • The cores are neat addition. I like how the game feels hard at first, but the more cores you get, the more fair it feels. Exp cores make those levels fly by, and the new "exp share" cores seem like a fair compromise for a game that initially lacked that option.
  • The devs seem pretty willing to listen to complaints and community feedback.
  • You can battle trainers more than once! Pokemon needs to bring this back, battles shouldn't be a one and done type thing.
  • The quirky story and self-awareness.
  • You're actually going to be using items in battles.
  • The art. It reminds me of mid 2000s Maple Story and I can't figure out why.
  • Going in completely blind and not knowing when or what my Nexomon are going to evolve into.
  • The story! It's no Last of Us 2, but I'm into the whole mystery going on which is something I can't say has been the case for Pokemon for awhile now.
Dislikes:
  • Performance can be weirdly sluggish on the PS4.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
It doesn't look too bad. I just don't think I have it in me. I'm coming to terms with the fact that I've outgrown Pokemon, as it has grown and changed as a series considerably slower than my tastes have.

LeafGreen/FireRed will be good for nostalgia's sake. And if I want a new adventure, I'll be sure to check out Nexomon.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I picked this up yesterday and it's really good.

The biggest drawback is the art direction. As others have suggested it feels very mobile. It doesn't look bad, but at times the art doesn't look consistent. Like you'll have 3D models next to 2D sprites, then in another scene you have some weird almost flash-like animation, a high resolution character on a lower resolution background during a scene. It doesn't feel like it all comes together that well in places, and while it doesn't look bad, it does persistently remind you that it's a lower budget game.

Other than that, the Nexomon designs are really cool, and I like that you have a lot of flexibility to building your team. Progression feels quite rapid, and even though the game requires you to 'grind' it has a lot of features that make it more convenient, like rainbow cystals that you can find in the environment that heal your whole party to full, meaning you don't need to go back to town. You can take battles as and when you want them too, as trainers don't aggro you from a distance, and wild encounters require you to walk into the rustling patch of grass.

The world seems fairly interesting to explore, though I'm only around 10 hours in. There's a lot of people to speak to, but anyone who has anything interesting impactful to say (like offering a trade, or offering a quest) has a marker above their head which honestly, is a nice addition.

On the whole, it's a good alternative to Pokemon and I think if they keep iterating forward, especially better realising the games art direction, then Nexomon could be a real competitor. It seems like a popular game among players too, 5 star rating on the PS Store, very positive on steam, etc.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Sorry to bump this, but I just grabbed the game on PSN & it's definitely better than Sword & Shield, can't believe I hadn't heard of it

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that looks great! How have I never heard about it?

I love the creature designs.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I was very interested in this game when it was first released on the Switch, especially since Poke SwSh really disappointed me. But reviews mentioned really high difficulty and backtracking and that turned me off immediately.