• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I've been waiting to finally watch it. ignoring any hate, I will make my own opinion after I have watched it.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Felt like a movie made for the vocal minority to undo things from The Last Jedi and less for the majority that enjoyed it and rolling with what they did in the previous movie. So much time put into changing things for no real reason, which doesn't make the trilogy end on a cohesive note. Even seeing the first dick laser on one of the "new" Star Destroyers five minutes in was surprising for the haphazard way that it opens.

Watched The Last Jedi before Rise of Skywalker, which made it more obvious than when I saw it in theater.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching it too, about an hour in. I had very low expectations but I'm enjoying it so far. A lot of the legwork comes from me really liking Rey and Finn and I think Kylo is a really interesting conflicted villain.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell was the deal with Hux? I laughed at how poorly he was handled in this movie. "Actually he was a good guy but actually now he's dead" was so stupid, like why even make him a secret good guy just to pointlessly murder him right after? He didn't even get a cool death... like why
Huh? He's not a good guy at all, the movie literally tells you this. He doesn't want the Resistance to win, he just wants Kylo to lose because he's a petty motherfucker.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
We've been going through the main movies with the kids. We watched TLJ over the weekend and will get to this one on Friday.

Is it a stretch to say TLJ is the second best Star Wars movie after Empire? Asking as a casual fan.
depending who you ask
if you ask smart people they will agree
if you ask Era, Last Jedi is the worst thing that ever happened and Rian Jonson killed their dogs

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
watching it at home still feels like a weird fever dream. like i had a stroke or something

wouldn't even say that's particularly a bad thing but yeah. so much wtf

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
after the divisiveness of TLJ, it was nice to see everyone band together and agree how bad TROS was

It's nice to watch on the side, and just enjoy the spectacle, but yeh its one of the most rushed through messes we'll probably ever see on this scale.

never

Oct 28, 2017
It's sad to me that they messed up this trilogy so hard that so many people really hate it.

As a lifelong Star Wars fan I loved this movie. I loved the ending. I loved how it made me feel.

But mostly I just feel bad for all the other Star Wars fans who didn't get to have that experience.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the movie, but won't watch again until I can have the whole saga in a shelf-appropriate 4K disc-release. That Best-Buy set was ridiculous.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
It's sad to me that they messed up this trilogy so hard that so many people really hate it.

As a lifelong Star Wars fan I loved this movie. I loved the ending. I loved how it made me feel.

But mostly I just feel bad for all the other Star Wars fans who didn't get to have that experience.

Despite not liking the movie much at all, the ending was fine. It was like watching the most bizarre gymnastic routine, where the person screwed up almost everything that they attempted, but still had a solid dismount/landing.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not going to speak on the quality of the movie, but I don't think you are very focused on it while posting on Era and telecommuting at the same time lol.

Nov 13, 2017
As a fan of Rey and Leia, I really loved seeing their relationship. I hope we get some cartoon or comic that explore Rey's year of training.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it for the first time. It was pretty terrible. I'm just over Star Wars now I think, despite loving the series as a kid.
TFA is fun but is mainly a shallow retread. I fucking hate Rogue One, Solo is ridiculously boring and TLJ is generally fine when it's with Rey and Luke but as a whole I found it weak and pointless. But this is probably the worst one. It's a nonsensical race to a finale that falls flat.

Oct 28, 2017
I genuinely got a bit teary seeing Carrie Fisher in this. I'm glad at least they had some footage of her to use rather than writing the character out or doing creepy CGI face.
I loved the idea that Leia trained Rey and Rey ended up being the one to take up her saber and finish her jedi path. Would have been very powerful had Carrie been around to play the part

Nov 13, 2017
I genuinely got a bit teary seeing Carrie Fisher in this. I'm glad at least they had some footage of her to use rather than writing the character out or doing creepy CGI face.
I loved the idea that Leia trained Rey and Rey ended up being the one to take up her saber and finish her jedi path. Would have been very powerful had Carrie been around to play the part
Agreed. I so badly wish they could have found a way to make Leia the one that appears to Ben instead of Han. But they did a great job incorporating the leftover footage.

DarkSora

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Saw it last night for the first time.

Jesus Christ. Did someone watch the Goonies and decide "oh yea, let's copy the same technique they used to find the rocks but make it a dagger".

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering if I should subscribe again, are there any extras you can watch? Frozen 2 had nothing and I was sad.

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
watching while teleworking

I'm falling here by mistake, but can't help to react :

Just absolutely shameful to pretend to judge (postively or negatively) any movie when you just admit you watched it while doing anything else in the same time.

Any judgement on any point of the story, plot, characters, scengraphy or whatever from those who watch a movie "while teleworking" or "surfing the web" or anything else just have no value.
Cause if you didn't see and heard 98% on the movie, you just don't have see the movie.

If you want to judge any movie. Start by actually WATCH (and listen) it.

The rest, is just empty words

OP
OP

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Just absolutely shameful to pretend to judge (postively or negatively) any movie when you just admit you watched it while doing anything else in the same time.

Any judgement on any point of the story, plot, characters, scengraphy or whatever from those who watch a movie "while teleworking" or "surfing the web" or anything else just have no value.
Cause if you didn't see and heard 98% on the movie, you just don't have see the movie.

I don't think this is fair. I finished the movie after work because it was so fast paced and action oriented that it was better to get the full experience, but generally watching shows/movies while working is the only thing that keeps me sane and it's the only time I can really watch movies. I have two young kids who take up time and I cannot just sit down and focus 100 percent on a movie, plus still want time for playing video games. I can actually process 100 percent of what is being said when I'm watching and working, maybe not everyone can do that, only speaking for myself. Also, I'm not writing a professional review, just giving some random thoughts along the way.

Oct 25, 2017
I get that the movies don't flow well, but I don't get the weird insistence that the directors are so petty that they're flicking each other off metaphorically with decisions that made their movie worse. That just seems entirely like projecting their own feelings.

Frigid Eh

Oct 28, 2017
I watched this for first time since theatres. I think it was actually worse and much more boring this time.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I stopped at the moment Rey got to the throne room. It's just a whole movie of tomfoolery. I still can't get over the whole shoving Palpatine back into the fold and he apparently has a giant as fleet of star destroyers that destroy planets underground with a full fucking army to boot. All of it done in secret and no one fucking knew this whole time. Like bruv, that must have been a bitch to hire all of those people. Did he like go to some sort of evil people convention to find them all. Whole thing just felt like whoever wrote this shit was just trying to up the stakes as much as possible with nostalgia sprinkled onto it without caring about whether it made sense or not.

Only part of the movie I liked was on Kijimi with Keri Russell because I like Keri Russell and the ugly little thing that talked funny.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017

Totally nails how I feel about this trilogy. TLJ was the weakest to me of the three, but I loved 7 and 9 start to finish. Every fan has the right to react in their own way, but I do feel bad for those who didn't overall love them like we do.

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
I don't think this is fair. I finished the movie after work because it was so fast paced and action oriented that it was better to get the full experience, but generally watching shows/movies while working is the only thing that keeps me sane and it's the only time I can really watch movies. I have two young kids who take up time and I cannot just sit down and focus 100 percent on a movie, plus still want time for playing video games. I can actually process 100 percent of what is being said when I'm watching and working, maybe not everyone can do that, only speaking for myself. Also, I'm not writing a professional review, just giving some random thoughts along the way.

Playing movies or shows on "background" while working is the thing. (I undestand doing that... I understand less doing that with movies never seen before tho...)

Pretending you have actually really "seen" the movie / show in question when you only had PLAY it during yourworking time, is another thing.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Started re-watching it, and I actually kinda enjoy the opening moments. JJ is a good director and the film certainly has a lot of energy in the beginning. It doesn't feel like Star Wars, though. But then again you can't really make a true 70s/80s movie nowadays.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Never underestimate a droid.

I love Carrie Fisher, but with her unfortunate death she should've just been written out of the film. All her pasted in lines from cut TFA scenes were so awkward and weird.

Oct 27, 2017

The film wasn't perfect and I preferred the character beats to the action, but generally this is how I felt too. The stuff with Carrie was great (and I was so glad she got top billing at the end credits) and I really like Rey and Finn although they don't quite have enough time together in this film. The stuff with Kylo was good although the Knights of Ren felt borderline pointless and should have been developed in TLJ or dropped entirely.

I actually need to watch TLJ again as I haven't seen it since it first came out.

Agreed. I so badly wish they could have found a way to make Leia the one that appears to Ben instead of Han. But they did a great job incorporating the leftover footage.

Yeah, I'm glad they developed that aspect of her character a bit more, and it made sense she would have trained Rey.

I commented last night that I was about an hour into the film but I was enjoying it. I paused it to go for a piss and I also wrote said comment. I hope this is okay.

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
I commented last night that I was about an hour into the film but I was enjoying it. I paused it to go for a piss and I also wrote said comment. I hope this is okay.

Do I really need to explain the difference between pause the film just a moment to do a thing and then going back at it.
And just let play the entire movie on TV while you are focused on a totally other thing... Like being on your PC working ?

I mean, you watched the film.
In addition you even said that you were 1 hour away and that you like "so far"

The author just had the moving playing on a screen, while both his eyes, hand, brain... were focused on an entire other task (working !).
I mean... For him we talk about "Watching" a movie without even having his eyes focused on the screen displaying the said movies...

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

Solo is pretty below average. Flawed in a huge number of ways and incredibly lifeless most of the time. The biggest error was having Han be the protagonist. Lando and Qi'ra are far more interesting and Han should have basically been a cameo/supporting character. There was a way to make it work, they just never found it. Also I don't buy Alden what'shisname as a younger Han for one second.

But I'd watch it three times back to back before I sat through TROS again.

We've been going through the main movies with the kids. We watched TLJ over the weekend and will get to this one on Friday.

Is it a stretch to say TLJ is the second best Star Wars movie after Empire? Asking as a casual fan.

I'm a hardcore fan who saw the originals in their theatrical runs and I'd say TLJ is the best Star Wars movie, full stop. So no, not a stretch.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I would only watch it again with a friend who hasn't seen it so it will basically never be watched ever again by me. Seriously, I thought it was a slog of a movie.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
The beginning is a disaster of editing and pacing

Probably, but every time I've tried watching the film I get fooled by the opening and go "hey, this isn't so bad". And then the plot happens. I guess it's mostly because I like the more occult and esoteric aspects of the Star Wars universe and the stuff with Kylo, the wayfinder and Sidious scratches that itch. Even if it's pretty bad.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Do I really need to explain the difference between pause the film just a moment to do a thing and then going back at it.
And just let play the entire movie on TV while you are focused on a totally other thing... Like being on your PC working ?

I mean, you watched the film.
In addition you even said that you were 1 hour away and that you like "so far"

The author just had the moving playing on a screen, while both his eyes, hand, brain... were focused on an entire other task (working !).
I mean... For him we talk about "Watching" a movie without even having his eyes focused on the screen displaying the said movies...

You just won't quit, will you? You're really derailing the thread at this point. I was going to ignore your response, but you keep going. You make a lot of assumptions too. When I watch something at work, I see all the scenes and process all the dialog. It may take me all workday to watch a 2 hour movie, but that's how I do it. My eyes and brain are not focused on something else. And even if they weren't focused and I was not watching the movie, so what? You know some people are blind and can't see any movies... by your logic they shouldn't comment on movies. I don't think you want to go there. So stop.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I have to wonder if the stormtrooper Ren says "She's on the ship" to after the Vader mask drops into the snow was just standing there watching Ren swing a lightsaber about like an idiot in thin air.

Cus he doesn't look like he was walking past, he looks like he was just standing there for the hole force Skype scene.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I like this movie (much less the the other 2), but if you told me Brett Ratner directed it I would believe you. Ratner was decent in aping the style of Singer's X-Men and Demme's Silence of the Lambs when he made his entries in the respective series, and this really felt like someone trying to copy JJ Abrams style. It's shocking at times at how much this feels like someone trying to make a JJ Abrams film.

Oct 28, 2017
I like this movie (much less the the other 2), but if you told me Brett Ratner directed it I would believe you. Ratner was decent in aping the style of Singer's X-Men and Demme's Silence of the Lambs when he made his entries in the respective series, and this really felt like someone trying to copy JJ Abrams style. It's shocking at times at how much this feels like someone trying to make a JJ Abrams film.
I think it's the closest thing we will ever get to a Michael Bay SW.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017

still think A New Hope and Empire are better than any of the new ones but yeah TLJ would be a third for me. Its great.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
I 100% have respect for JJ having to pull SOMETHING out of the mess of TLJ, the dude had mad skills to make a spectacle. It's sad he basically had to cram 2 films into one and write around TLJ as best he could, in the end the film fails in too many areas to be good, but at least it had fun, looked amazing and made me slightly more interested in Star Wars, where as TLJ killed all interest in the franchise (at least I thought).

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
I watched it once on opening day and will never watch it again.

Maybe when I have kids. Maybe.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
It just really missed the mark. TLJ set it up to be between Rey and her new Jedi and Kylo and his new force users (neither Jedi/Sith). That's an awesome, unique set-up (for Star Wars). Both trying to make things better than they were but going in different directions to get there. The last of Luke's legacy fighting against each other. His failure in Kylo and his bloodline vs his redemption in Rey untied to his bloodline.

Instead, we get Palpatine again. I fail to see how ROS is Skywalker over Palpatine so the "Skywalker Saga" feels more like a "Palpatine Saga." It makes the whole series feel like it revolves around Palpatine and the Skywalkers were just puppets - including Luke.

Last edited: