• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I pretty much never see anyone wearing a red hat at all, let alone a MAGA one so I don't give them much thought. I'm not in the US, though.

And just because something has negative associations now, that doesn't mean it always will. Most people don't automatically assume a white guy with a shaved head is white supremacist anymore.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I see red hats at work all the time. Thankfully very rarely is it a MAGA hat. But they do appear. I've seen maybe 3 or 4 personally. Never really see them elsewhere in person. I do live in an area full of Trumpers though. Up north from here people love their big Trump support banners.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
cjIMjSsr.jpg

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
At work our security team during fire exercises wears a red hat with « Sécurité » written on it and now it feels weird

Even though it's perfectly logical (red is the color associated with emergencies, emergency boxes, and so on)

greelay

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. When I first saw the clip from the nats-astros game, my first thought was "holy cow, there are so many of them." But then they started chanting and booing...and also, I remembered it was a nats game.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
Some Costco employees have red hats to wear. I saw a young Black man wearing one and thought twice before I realized everyone had one on.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I do double takes now whenever I see red snap backs.

my avi doesn't count

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this has ruined red hats for me. Can't even imagine how hard this stuff is hitting Fred Durst. :(

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
It crosses my mind when I see one, like I kinda do a double take. But if it's not the genuine article I don't really think about it after that.

Personally I never wear hats of any kind anyway so it's irrelevant to personal tastes

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I always love this particular hot take because it completely misses the point. Nobody is telling you that you can't do something or wear something. It's about people's reaction and perception, which you have no control over.

"I love wearing white hoods and I'm not gonna let the KKK ruin that for me!" Shit is what it is, just don't be shocked by people's reaction.
Yeah, it's like when Colin Moriarty would bitch that people on twitter would assume he was a tea party guy from the @notaxation handle and Gaston flag avatar.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No, I'm not letting Trump and his goons ruin something so basic for me.

I do check to see what it says on them though if I see one.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
My son always preferred a red hat (6 year old kid). I made him stop wearing it the third time I had to explain to someone he was wearing the hat of a family member's business and it was his favorite hat. Of the three times I once had to go far enough to let a lady know that my son is autistic and she should just leave us alone.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
If it has white text on it, I always glance to see if it says MAGA. It's like a reflex.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
It's a good thing a lot of members here don't leave the house often, coz it must be a hell of a struggle sometimes.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As evidence to the hopelessness of the thread title, when I read the thread title, I just assumed "red hat" was being used as a euphemism for a particular kind of person, and my reaction was just "well, yeah."

Took me reading the thread contents to realize we were actually talking about the headgear specifically.

Which isn't to say that red hats are intrinsically bad or that you're definitely if accidentally repping white supremacy if you're wearing one, just that the it has an unfortunate but undeniable link now.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to have this until I moved to Wisconsin, now I default to "Badger fan" but fuck anyone who has a "parody" MAGA hat.

Nov 1, 2017
No. I'm an adult and understand hats that were red existed long before maga.

Christ, how do some of y'all function in the real world lol.
Proximity to DC, attending multiple protests and having them try to grit on you like they're intimidating. I didn't say scared lol. More a game of just a red hat or white supremacist. Bonus points awarded if it's a poc.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I was in Orlando, Tampa, Miami for 2 weeks recently, I was on the lookout for the maga hats but I never spotted one