• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I've been having it a lot lately and I gotta say, I like it a lot.

wh-kombuchas-11-27-2-1574876893.jpg

It's like fizzy tea/fruit drinks. And apparently it's good for you.

Comes in a lot of different flavors, too. Only downside is it's really expensive for a drink.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Shit is delicious. I like the ones that are nice and sour, a little fizzy, not too sweet.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I tried a sip once and it was honestly fucking disgusting. It tasted like something that had gone bad.

Oct 28, 2017
The Health-Ade Pink Lady Apple and the GTS Seasonal are my favs. Love the stuff, I don't buy into the miracle cure nonsense but it IS a relatively low calorie delicious beverage that can replace something much worse for you.

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
I tried a vinegar one when someone at work was raving about it. It was bad. It seems like the kind of stuff that a bunch of Instagrammers decided was good for you.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't this just tea? Looks like one of those "let's take a foreign drink, exoticise it, and proceed to say it is healthy/organic" endeavours.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this just tea? Looks like one of those "let's take a foreign drink, exoticise it, and proceed to say it is healthy/organic" endeavours.
nah, it's fermented so it's kind of like rotting tea :P
kind of like wine is rotting grape juice (or whatever you use as a base)

overall I don't hate Kombucha, but it's not my first choice of drink, and it's expensive. but one of my friends brings it to board game nights so I drink it every so often.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Can you have this as a substitute of tea every day or is that unhealthy?
It's definitely healthy and no issues daily. Probiotics are good

I tried a sip once and it was honestly fucking disgusting. It tasted like something that had gone bad.
Well it is fermented lol

There's no scientific evidence that it's good for you.
It's not some crazy cure all, but probiotics are definitely proven to be good for you.

Yeah, I figure it's about the same as having a piece of fruit for a snack.
It's as good as any other probiotic strong food. Kimchi, yogurt, etc

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
GTS the only good one

the rest taste watered down or too sweet / not sour or fizzy enough in comparison. I think GTS uses the highest amount of active probiotics and enzymes etc, which is also funny how people try to doubt its good for you when you wouldn't doubt it taking those in pill form.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
It's basically cold drink snake oil. I don't think I've seen anything recently with as many spurious claims on the bottles/cans.

I've tried a few out of curiousity and I have made my own in the past. They all range from 'fine' to gross, although I think the health claims for kombucha are almost entirely bullshit and it's not like it makes up for it in taste. They're hilariously overpriced, too.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't care about any of the claims, but I love anything effervescent and the healthade cayenne one is soooo fuggin good.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I've been making my own for the last few years and it's a fun little side hobby. It's helped me wean off sodas completely.
As others have said, the health benefits have no scientific backing to them, but anecdotally, a week of drinking kombucha rid me of a months-long digestive issue.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I tried two different brands and flavors and didn't find it to be noteworthy. They tasted fine and inoffensive but didn't leave the impression that they needed to become a habit.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
It's been a great replacement for sodas and shit for me. I really like the ginger ones. I like this rose flavor I've tried, even this green algae one too. Cant say I'm a fan of all the flavors out there but I like the fizz and the raw flavor of a lot of them. Sure as hell beats sucking back on any Coke or Pepsi products.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know a guy that makes it at home. It's pretty damn good and it can make for a good alcoholic mixer. 👍🏾

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I'm embarrassed to admit I literally only know about it because of the Onision meltdown video (don't drink at all).

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
It's definitely healthy and no issues daily. Probiotics are good

Source? Got any links to peer reviewed studies? All I've heard is that they can aid in digestion

It's basically cold drink snake oil. I don't think I've seen anything recently with as many spurious claims on the bottles/cans.

I've tried a few out of curiousity and I have made my own in the past. They all range from 'fine' to gross, although I think the health claims for kombucha are almost entirely bullshit and it's not like it makes up for it in taste. They're hilariously overpriced, too.

Yup

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Source? Got any links to peer reviewed studies? All I've heard is that they can aid in digestion

Yup
I found this.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0399077X13003077?via=ihub

Seems like more research needs to be and is being done. So while I wouldn't take claims as a heal all or anything like that without a nice dose a skepticism, it seems a claim of probiotics being good for you isn't exactly peddling snake oil.

These close relationships between gut microbiota, health, and disease, have led to great interest in using probiotics(i.e. live micro-organisms), or prebiotics (i.e. non-digestible substrates) to positively modulate the gut microbiota to prevent or treat some diseases. This review focuses on probiotics, their mechanisms of action, safety, and major health benefits. Health benefits remain to be proven in some indications, and further studies on the best strain(s), dose, and algorithm of administration to be used are needed. Nevertheless, probiotic administration seems to have a great potential in terms of health that justifies more research.

So while I dont see any unrefruted proof anything, it does seem like science is on the side that probiotics are good for you.

Just maybe talk to a doctor about it if you're planning to use it to treat something? I dunno

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I found this.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0399077X13003077?via=ihub

Seems like more research needs to be and is being done. So while I wouldn't take claims as a heal all or anything like that without a nice dose a skepticism, it seems a claim of probiotics being good for you isn't exactly peddling snake oil.

So while I dont see any unrefruted proof anything, it does seem like science is on the side that probiotics are good for you.

Just maybe talk to a doctor about it if you're planning to use it to treat something? I dunno

As long as it "remains to be proven" then selling it as a health benefit is equivalent to snake oil.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize Kombucha had any kind of panacea type notorious background. I thought it was just another fermented drink that had probiotic bacteria inside. Personally I like the taste of the fruitier varieties and they can make good drink mixes.