• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anyone else tired of the snark on Twitter?

• Yes, shit is tiring. People are not as funny as they think.

Votes: 160 66.7%
  • No, follow better people.

Votes: 80 33.3%

• Total voters

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I used to follow Twitter pretty regularly, but for the past year or so I've just stopped opening the app. Now, maybe it's just the people I follow but I just got tired of the constant attempt to be snarky; to outwit everyone else. Twitter has become this place where everyone thinks they need to say something clever or snarky to get a bunch of upvotes and thus get noticed. It becomes tiring just reading a wall of people from across every spectrum just trying to out-snark each other.

Oh, Trump did something stupid? Welp, time to read 50 other people reply with their attempt of a witty remark. Oh, "X big movie flopped," great, now I can expect 100 or so tweets from people with their own variation of "lol, I knew it was a bomba."

I enjoy a good witty reply, but in doses. I feel like Era already re-posts the best tweet replies to any event so Twitter no longer feels necessary anymore. I don't need that level of snarkiness in my life all the time.

So, is it just my experience or do others feel the same way?

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
I hate when people keep saying "2020 is wild11" or variations at every single thing.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
honestly its been rough on there for a while, i deleted my account and i just have a random one now i login to see random tweet here and there but im done with twitter for the most part.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I think there are some genuinely funny people on Twitter... but there are also people who just repeat memes as a joke and, worse yet, people who just reply with an image, thinking it is witty. Sometimes these things can be funny, but mostly they are garbage noise.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Era dumps on Twitter a lot (and vice versa to a much smaller extent), but I feel like the same shit happens on both.

Your Twitter is ultimately who YOU follow.

I don't follow anyone that says "Bomba".

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I mostly follow artists on Twitter, and the media/politics people I follow are either generally upbeat or actually funny.

I sincerely agree with my vote in the poll: follow better people.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Who do you follow?

Twitter is massively diverse. I can follow Ted Cruz, but I choose not to lol. I can follow comedians and have a much more entertaining experience.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I feel like Era dumps on Twitter a lot (and vice versa to a much smaller extent), but I feel like the same shit happens on both.

Your Twitter is ultimately who YOU follow.

I don't follow anyone that says "Bomba".
I see this a lot in reverse as well. Lots of people on Twitter going "oh Era is doing X again," and I'm just like *gestures everywhere*

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I mean both options are true... most people are not funny, so you should follow better people

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Have you seen *this place* when something abnormal happens? Look no further than the reactions that came from the Halo Infinite reveal.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
I think both of your poll options can be true.

Same goes for this place. Use the ignore function for repeating offenders.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cuomo tweets are immediately met with dozens of murderer tweets about nursing homes, how he's a dictator or king, etc.

These losers actively follow Cuomo just to troll him.

Oct 25, 2017
I see this a lot in reverse as well. Lots of people on Twitter going "oh Era is doing X again," and I'm just like *gestures everywhere*
Pretty much the Spider-Man meme. I just say to a smaller extent on Twitter because that's squarely some of gaming Twitter compared to the rest of it being its own far apart thing.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i follow lots of people who pretty much only talk about cool stuff and ferrets

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm less annoyed by snark than I am by the low effort text memes like

"No one:
<Literally anything>"

Or someone posting the same thing over and over vertically until they hit a text limit.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love Twitter but it has become insufferable for me lately, too.

not sure if it's the pandemic just highlighting it more but damn it's been grating the last month or so.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It's not exclusive to Twitter, I'd say it's all of humanity who's tiring; with their sheep-like behavior, just mirroring what others say constantly. It's most common in the mainstream where there's no original thoughts anymore.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna say Era isn't much better but I suppose it's an internet thing.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Follow better people" is great in principle but when people post the dumbest shit from twitter on here it doesn't really matter who you follow.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I've rarely if ever seen anyone I'm following on twitter exemplifying the sort of snark being described here; but maybe that's just because of the type of people I follow. Either way, a lot of it sounds like the exact same sort of shit that gets posted around here now and then too.

The first thing I see after getting on Twitter a moment ago.

Oh... well that's defintely changing my mind on maybe checking in on gaming side any time soon...

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
This thread:
33vmff.png

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, follow better people. Twitter is actually useful.
My enjoyment of Twitter probably peaked with the announcement of the Star Wars sequel trilogy (because that was a fucking fun day) and I do agree with OP to some extent about internet snark in general and I should probably trim down my follow list a bit, but I never understood statements like "social media was a mistake", "nothing good comes from Twitter" as if major social movements haven't gotten a tremendous boost it.

It's just a mix. Some good with a whole amount of bad.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I'm honestly just tired of snark in general. My parents are quite earnest people so I find unending sarcasm draining after a while.

I hate how sincerity is seen as some sort of passe old-timey attitude and snark = smart.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least twitter moved on from "PRESIDENT SHITBAG BOOM ROASTED does thing"