• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Imagine playing HZD and thinking Sylan is the big bad. The guy is more opportunist than anything else. Hell the the major villain in HZD is a white tech bro fellow.
I am going to give GG the benefit of the doubt considering how they handled the first game.

Oct 27, 2017
Sylens isn't really a villain.

I also don't subscribe to the idea that black people can never be villains, though I do agree that there needs to be great care in not falling into the "darkness = evil" trope.

and yes I'm black
I don't see how they could fall into that trope considering that we have Varl and, hopefully, Vanesha as allies in Forbidden Wes plus there were 2 or 3 black people on the "save the world" team that were killed by Faro and Gaia is depicted as a black woman. I think they would have to try really hard to justify into a "dark=evil" trope.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I've never heard anyone complain about Miles voice actor before. He's mixed, but being voiced by a black actor is perfectly okay. This is a strange stance to take.
No, I've noticed it and I think it's worth looking at. Miles has had a bunch of voice actors and I believe out of like eight they were all black and only one was mixed. Not sure if any were Spanish speakers. There's never been a non-black Latino voicing the character, but you better believe people would side eye that. The casting just seems to erase his Latino side (and depending on the project the writing does too).

miles-morales.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
There's a mysterious glowing white lady in the trailer. Just sayin

She's definitely the real bad guy, right? Another mysterious group is mentioned in the trailer. I'd not be surprised if you join in with the character from the OP against them.

HAL 01

Sep 17, 2021
Cultural appropriation doesn't equal offensive/problematic. You appropriate stuff regularly by consuming foreign media, foreign food, etc

creating a futuristic tribal culture based from various cultures around the world isn't inherently bad, it could get bad if some elements resembling real cultures are mishandled, but there's nothing wrong about OPs example

Oct 25, 2017
The main antagonist in the series is
a white, corporate America, tech CEO. Thinking Sylan
is the series villain is pretty shallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.