• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
In media, whenever a character has heterochromia, it always make them look cool

maxresdefault.jpg

a324279dc589b2e5f2a88c0f995f69c4b6949d6er1-985-985v2_uhq.jpg

DzPtT61XgAAowtA.png

hqdefault.jpg

CuLTh61XgAA0Y3O.png

Like seriously, it is just so cool looking. I wouldn't mind having this

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
I have a problem with symmetry. But op I do like it when their eyes change color totally like ultra instinct.

May 15, 2019
The first character that comes to mind for me is Yuna, so I'd say I feel the exact opposite way that you do.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I just find the look tacky. Just a poor attempt at trying to make a character "unique"

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks kinda silly. Probably because it's anime as heck. It's about as interesting a character trait as their blood type.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
It's been done so many times to make a character seem cool and mysterious in anime that it just feels cliche now.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Always seems corny. "my anime character is derivative and bland, how can i make them stand out..."

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
In anime?

I actually really dislike it when its a permanent trait. I dig symmetry.
But when its done as an upgrade or awakened form for a while, im all in.

I always imagine it as this isnt even my final form, im only using half my true stength.

1.jpg

main-qimg-adf92909fea76c53e95980401b846f05

thumb-1920-985785.png

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I've no idea who either of those people are, and everyone in the OP looks lame

I got anime out of my system when I was a teenager (except the thin handful of great, less cliché ones, of course) and find very little appealing in it the days.
Dual haired guy and blonde eye
Ah well, to each their own

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anime makes heterochromia look weird. I preferred how they did it with Yuna in FFX. It was more subtle.

latest

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Back when I was 14 or 15. My creative outlets were more visual back then, and I drew a character as having heterochromia because I thought it looked cool. I was never too big on anime, so I must've thought I had landed on something really unique.

Enter a lot more time on the internet and a lot of delayed embarrassment, and I decided better.

Oct 26, 2017
I've grown to find it particularly cliche, especially in modern anime. Almost any time I see it nowadays, it makes me shake my head a bit.

I found it kinda cool at first, but I saw it so much that the novelty wore off quick.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
From Overlord (light novel and anime) the two Dark Elves (cute, but will massacre innocents) and one mysterious Elf we saw once both have it. However the first two were intentionally designed that way by a "Player":

9NLqiVj.jpg

OQzKuZp.png

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
Honestly, so many anime characters have it that I think it's stupid at this point.

Oct 26, 2017
I like it... although I often find it more "goofy" than "cool".

My Monster Hunter World character has red/green eyes, Spider Jerusalem style.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Personally not a fan. For me it's an overdone way to try and make a character look more unique and interesting, and it's just so done to death now. Also usually I think it looks a bit dumb, as all the examples in the OP look to me.

My girlfriend has this though, funny enough. One green eye, one blue eye. The anime edgelord that she is.

Oct 26, 2017
It looks like they're trying really hard to make the character look cool.
It's why I like the examples in my post. Most of the "NPCs" in Overlord were designed by people ("Players" within a virtual MMO type of game) with no more design sense than the average anime watcher. They often reflect the mentality they had at that point in their life.

karl's wood

Jan 15, 2019
Anime makes heterochromia look weird. I preferred how they did it with Yuna in FFX. It was more subtle.

latest

This is the only example I can think of that isn't cringey edgelord looking trash. I didn't even notice Yuna had it until a later play through and even without it her design is strong enough to be unique and memorable.

Can't say the same about all the Sonic OC looking anime characters that have it.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
That '99 Kurapika shot must be anime-only, because I don't think he's ever shown like that (he'd have to be wearing only one contact lens, since he doesn't have heterochromia).

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I feel like "I've got a witch/demon/etc. eye" is a different category to heterochromia, especially if you like, literally have someone else's eye jammed in your socket? Heterochromia isn't particular badass, but having installed a cursed eyeball into your head to haunt yourself with eldritch terror in exchange for incredible foresight/power is pretty neat.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
Sasuke isn't really an example of Heterochromia though. It's just him activating two different abilities.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Yeah, like others have said, I find it really tacky in anime. It's the opposite of subtle for the most part due to the huge eyes and the flat, exaggerated colours.

What are some examples of central heterochromia in anime?
Kurapika and Yozora look fine
Yozora to me looks like a Deviantart OC inspired by KH :/ not just his face and eyes, but also the outfit.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hate it honestly. I don't know what the hell is up with anime over using this shit, but it instantly makes me dislike the character.

EDIT: Also, isn't in Kurapika's case that his eyes turn that color when he's having intense emotions, and it happens with both but he uses contacts to hide it or whatever? The same can be said for like Sasuke and some others. Heterochromia isn't their "natural" state, it happens due to some dumb eye powers or something. It's not like they were just born with it.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of it before this thread to be honest.

Don't remember it making an impression on me ever if I've seen IRL