• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I pick up everything and I hate throwing shit away even if it is worthless, and don't have crafting in game because I will pick up every resource because why not? I have walked hundreds of miles in fallout and elder scroll games because i been overburden but refused to drop shit.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, most recently in Cyberpunk I was picking literally everything off the ground...my OCD won't let me leave it be.

Nov 26, 2019
I have this problem to the point where I can't really enjoy most games with equipment burden systems. Demon's Souls QOL fix on this front was a godsend. Being able to send items back to storage from anywhere in the field was a revelation.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't necessarily have that problem. The only problem I have that is similar is in RPG's hoarding healing items even if it is the final boss. Because you never know.

DaCocoBrova

Oct 27, 2017
I break/destroy everything in Dark Souls and Bayonetta...and I mean EVERYTHING! Also, Death to press '*' to pick up type games (Wolfenstein I'm looking at you!).

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Yeh most recently that was in Demons Souls. But luckily everything would go into storage (Thomas)

But don't think I ever used the 2 best healing grasses... kept hoarding that even though my storage was full at a certain point 😂

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I find in understandable in Monster Hunter because, feasibly, yes, almost all those bones and herbs and berries can be made into something else through crafting. Where I fall over is Elder Scrolls/Fallout, where I'll be scouring a dungeon, having discovered a kitchen abandoned in a hurry decades ago, and suddenly I'll be grabbing broken plates, old forks, a rusty pot, some old trousers and general trash. Eventually I get bored of walking and the overworld has little piles of my trash everywhere, like owl pellets.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I have the issue. I easily spend 30% of my time in any game with inventory management which is why games like Dragon Age and The Elder Scroll series, etc are both a blessing and a curse.

My first pick in any of these style games is to increase inventory space but it never helps. It just means I carry more shit and my inventory gets filled just as quickly. It's a hard habit to fix because I never feel good about just leaving stuff behind.

Edit: The more weird thing is I kinda like the obsession. Like I refuse to use mods that give you no inventory limit as that breaks my immersion. Although I will use mods like in skyrim that allow me to craft extra things to hold items in. That works for me because it is immersive.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
Yeah, I definitely am an in-game packrat too, combined with being a hoarder who doesn't like to use anything up even if it's not that useful. Limited storage space in games is one of my mortal enemies.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I pick up everything always. Games like Monster Hunter World and if I recall, Horizon Zero Dawn were crazy. Then I'm afraid to use anything.

Currently I'm wrapping a play of Dark Souls and I'm crafting and upgrading everything just before the platinum and I'm still lugging around all the crafting mats I saved.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I used to be like this in RPGs, particularly SNES-era FF and other games. But Megami Tensei broke me of it, you absolutely need to use your special healing items there, even if you aren't on the final boss.

As for weapon durability in BotW, that actually never bothered me. I just kept rotating through weapons as I picked them up. Maybe playing games like the Gameboy SaGas/FFLs with weapon durability conditioned me for that.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I find in understandable in Monster Hunter because, feasibly, yes, almost all those bones and herbs and berries can be made into something else through crafting. Where I fall over is Elder Scrolls/Fallout, where I'll be scouring a dungeon, having discovered a kitchen abandoned in a hurry decades ago, and suddenly I'll be grabbing broken plates, old forks, a rusty pot, some old trousers and general trash. Eventually I get bored of walking and the overworld has little piles of my trash everywhere, like owl pellets.
This is the best paragraph i read on the internet in a long time

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I keep everything, from random stuff that "might come in handy some day" to weapons and armor I've grown attached to and other 'memorabilia' from my adventures like quest rewards, letters, etc.

Not my own screenshot, but this might as well be my own inventory in Divinity OS2:

GnBoClokyba77Ryx6a-u2DZAoxz7rP09XN_oM6UWB4Y.png

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I never understood why people had such strong opposition to encumbrance systems until I realized they also pick up everything that isn't bolted down. I understand the inclination to pick up everything of utility you can find, but hording trash has never been an issue for me. And at some point even low rank gear or whatever I don't bother with just straight up toss that shit..

Oct 25, 2017
Being over encumbered usually makes me not pick literally everything up...

Coming into this thread, I was expecting it to be "I never use any items" which I totally do in RPGs/other games.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

For MHW at least I use the botanical researcher to generate herbs, plus lots of consumables can be outright bought from provisions and I'm swimming in cash, finally the steamworks generate enough healing items I barely need to craft anymore.

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I keep everything, from random stuff that "might come in handy some day" to weapons and armor I've grown attached to and other 'memorabilia' from my adventures like quest rewards, letters, etc.

Not my own screenshot, but this might as well be my own inventory in Divinity OS2:

GnBoClokyba77Ryx6a-u2DZAoxz7rP09XN_oM6UWB4Y.png
i immediately thought about divinity when i saw the title. my inventory is like this for all characters.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
Yeah, and the limited storage thing in some games is hell. Like, I get trying to make the player be better at managing their items, and keeping only what's important, but for godsake just let me hoard! Literally being even slower than you are already in Cyberpunk because you've collected to much stuff is not fun. Just let me hoard my virtual crap, lol.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I'm absolutely a total videogame item-hoarder and in some games it actually makes me feel stressed out which is absurd. I'm currently giving Control another shot after not liking it initially and the amount of same-y mods but with different percentage numbers etc. combined with the very limited inventory space is just killing me. I feel like I'm constantly 'transforming', or whatever the in-game term is, them to make space because I just have to pick up everything.

Ironically that means I've had a major surplus of currency the entire time with nothing to spend it on seemingly.

Also, I often find myself playing stealth games and so on in less-fun ways just to conserve items I think I'll need later and then end up with full inventory constantly...argghh

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I remember being really annoyed by the tiny inventory in Legend of Dragoon. You can only hold like 15 items! It sucked haha

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's why I can't finish games. I just go around looking for secrets only to get bored and then drop them. It's bad. I wish I could just PLAY a game. I legit haven't beaten a game since Last of Us in 2013.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Me too, in a way.

In Fallout/ES games, I usually use one of those strength enhancer chems so I can fast travel back home after being encumbered. But if it's a short walk, I'd hold/grab the item up and run all the way to a storage/vendor.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah and I hate it, both me picking it up and the game having so much stuff to pick up which is why I use always use a mod that has unlimited space.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
"Okay, better not use this Mega Elixir, I gotta save it for when I really need it"

*Beats the game, still has like 6 Mega Elixirs in my inventory*

JT60564

Oct 19, 2020
Inventory Management is a scourge of video games. It's a holdover of an earlier era of RPG that should be wiped out for good once and for all. I don't want to have to spend 30 minutes for every hour of play figuring out what to get rid of. It's the gaming equivalent of cleaning out my crawl space, it's anti-fun. I once just accepted it in TES but no more, I will always remove encumbrance limits because I am simply Too Old For That Shit.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
When I realized that my follower in Skyrim had no encumbrance, I was set free.
The thing is they do though. I hit that limit also.

and
Spouses
can be used to carry extra items, although they too have their own limit that cannot be exceeded. (Total carrying capacity is approximately 290 units of weight)

elderscrolls.fandom.com

Encumbrance (Skyrim)

For other uses, see Encumbrance. Encumbrance affects the total amount of weight of items a character can carry in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Maximum carrying capacity is a crucial element of all Elder Scrolls games, Skyrim included. The weight of an object is displayed within the Item Menu...

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Raises hand. Yep I have this problem. When the game lets you pick up pretty much anything, who knows when a specific item might be useful.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
My inventory in FFXIV is an absolute nightmare. As I'm playing mostly for the story I have no idea what I should be keeping/selling and I've just completely lost all control of it. I fear it's far too late to do anything about it, lol.

midori ☾

Feb 4, 2021
this is why I like Monster Hunter, because it actively rewards my terrible item hogging habits x)

the worst I get is that I sometimes refuse to use items because I create specific scenarios in my head and then think "I need to save this item for when that happens!!"

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I pick up everything and I hate throwing shit away even if it is worthless, and don't have crafting in game because I will pick up every resource because why not? I have walked hundreds of miles in fallout and elder scroll games because i been overburden but refused to drop shit.
ModAV carryweight [999]

Problem solved.

Oct 27, 2017
LOL Cyberpunk is brutal in this because so much worthless junk laying everywhere

By the end of the game half of my inventory was composed of drinks and food that I never consumed because I couldn't be arsed to read through and see what they did, and the other half was random junk I hoarded because I didn't want to activate the auto dismantling perk (what if I need that stuff?! Lol)

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
By the end of the game half of my inventory was composed of drinks and food that I never consumed because I couldn't be arsed to read through and see what they did, and the other half was random junk I hoarded because I didn't want to activate the auto dismantling perk (what if I need that stuff?! Lol)
This is true, i mainly didn't read them because the font and color choice was horrible for reading

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I think this is pretty normal.
Menu usage is boring and dropping items usually requires you to sift through endless menus for 10 minutes.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I started to walk back from this in certain open-world RPG's. Just kind of learn to become aware of what is important to gather, what I actually need, and what is vendor trash for money that also is just unnecessary because money is often never hard to come by. Ultimately even when I was hoarding everything, most of it was wasteful nonsense. You don't need to stockpile junk for cash, you never need that much $$. You should be crafting or finding good equipment in 99% of cases anyway.

I do keep tabs on whatever mats I require for some upgrades and focus on those to collect, but I stopped just hoarding everything and its very freeing.

Other games like Monster Hunter, I do pick up everything in sight as they often are useful throughout the experience at some point. But you just dump that off after missions anyway in your storage.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Fallout 4 got me good there. If you like to build bases, the game practically encourages you to be a packrat, because now every "junk" item has a use. That toaster has valuable springs that I can use to make another turret to defend my fort I made in the abandoned drive-in movie theater; all those broken lightbulbs and lamps have valuable copper for electronics; and holy shit, if there's anything with even a tiny amount of adhesive, I'm taking it, cause it's needed for virtually every mod and my vegetable-starch farms can't keep up with demand. (Thank god the new Strong Back perk at rank 3+ lets you pick up basically as much as you want, cause there are playthroughs where I haul an unimaginable amount of crap back home.)

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Fallout 4 got me good there. If you like to build bases, the game practically encourages you to be a packrat, because now every "junk" item has a use. That toaster has valuable springs that I can use to make another turret to defend my fort I made in the abandoned drive-in movie theater; all those broken lightbulbs and lamps have valuable copper for electronics; and holy shit, if there's anything with even a tiny amount of adhesive, I'm taking it, cause it's needed for virtually every mod and my vegetable-starch farms can't keep up with demand. (Thank god the new Strong Back perk at rank 3+ lets you pick up basically as much as you want, cause there are playthroughs where I haul an unimaginable amount of crap back home.)

Yeah Fallout 4 is one of the more painful ones because of that Minecraft thing they force you to participate in which is why I like a mod that automates that part of the game.

But Dragon Age Inquisition is also really bad because you pick of tons of parts that can be used to customize weapons and the parts come in different rarity levels so you have to pay attention to what you are selling and using. I've wasted so much time in that game sitting around pruning my inventory.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
My inventory in FFXIV is an absolute nightmare. As I'm playing mostly for the story I have no idea what I should be keeping/selling and I've just completely lost all control of it. I fear it's far too late to do anything about it, lol.
yeh i'm paying for two additional retainers for an extra $4 a month. I can survive without them but I don't feel like reorganizing and throwing away anything right now.