• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
It's not like we get that many these days, I like the trend of getting a few now from capable devs for a change.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tbh, I don't care about AAA games... So not particularly bothered or excited about this trend, especially when the to-go IPs are film-centric ones such as Bond, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Fast and Furious, and the like. Only Marvel IPs could make those exciting for me, and with a more comics angle.

Call me when we get an open-world tokusatsu, or as someone said before, an open-world Godzilla/kaiju game :U

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
It slightly annoys me as I typically can't stand the brands that are licenced.

I did however enjoy shadow of mordor despite not being able to stand Lord of the rings

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Do you even remember the PS2 era? Every other game was a licensed property. I was just recently thinking about how weird it is that those mostly stopped getting made.

it's because they stopped being profitable

they also basically require AAA budgets to garner any type of interest

it's dangerous to work with licenses these days. before they could pump out games like no tomorrow and be close to on par with best in business.

now it's not easy to do this.

you may not be able to make the game you want because you're at the whims of the license holder. you may not be able to make a game that is satisfying to play due to those restrictions and on top of it all you have to live up to existing fans expectations.

and in the remote chance you succeed? well, you may not be able to work with the license again and hope people remember it was you that made that game when making your next unrelated title.

you carry most of the risk for a small chance of reward.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Great studios with proven track records working with an interesting IP...what's not to like? The market isn't exactly oversaturated with good Indiana Jones, Bond or, at least until recently, Star Wars games. Also it can serve as some sort of safety net or prestige project that opens other doors or makes publishers more confident about greenlighting original IP. I don't see any problem with that and there's also still plenty of other stuff out there.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel the same exact way OP. I'm not super excited about stories I know the lore to already.

But, that being said, these projects are way safer for the studios. So it is what it is, unfortunately.

Oct 28, 2017
I agree OP, I was recently thinking about this with the Star Wars games. DICE and Respawn, will make amazing profitable games even without the Star Wars IP. I think devs are better off with having full creative freedom. Bioware where able to do some pretty interesting things with Mass Effect when not being tied to the Star Wars IP.

That said I understand using licensed IP's make financial sense.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I was just thinking about this with the announcement of MachineGames' Indiana Jones. It seems like more notable devs are turning to making games with licensed IP rather than creating their own original worlds and characters. We have IO Interactive doing James Bond, Respawn and Star Wars, Rocksteady with Suicide Squad, Crystal Dynamics doing Avengers, Insomniac with Spider-Man, etc.

I feel like it's a symptom of big budget AAA development (and the sales expectations that come with it) that devs want to make games with built-in fanbases rather than try their hands at creating brand new things for us to experience. How do you feel about this? Do you think we'll continue to see devs turn to already-successful IP as opposed to building new properties?
To be fair, Rocksteady has been making licensed games since 2009. So it's not new for them. As for rest... it's finally time we have better licensed games. We suffered through 2 gens of mostly average-to-bad licensed with few exceptions being good-to-great. If IO's James Bond is as good as their Hitman games, I don't have any concerns.
Nothing wrong with working on licensed IPs.
First post nailed it.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
When the game is actually good I don't have a problem with it. Yeah I'd prefer more new stuff, but I would like to see something like with the 40k games where the devs get to do interesting the the concepts and setting. Unfortunately most licensed games don't go their route and would rather you make you feel like x superhero or something.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
As long as it's an IP I'm interested in, I'm cool with it. I guess I was worried about Ratchet and Clank before Rift Apart was announced.,but generally speaking, if I can get a cool game from a cool IP, I'm happy.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
It slightly annoys me as I typically can't stand the brands that are licenced.

I did however enjoy shadow of mordor despite not being able to stand Lord of the rings

I wish more licensed games strived to have something even half as interesting as the nemesis system. Also I really need to finish Shadow of Mordor some day.

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
People want new IPs for the allure of it being new, but honestly if the core of it is still so fundamentally similar to other existing IPs, the appeal of the newness factor greatly diminishes and doesn't really become new to me.

This is why for new IPs, I much preferred it if we ACTUALLY got something new, like from Resident Evil to Devil May Cry or from Mario to Splatoon, instead of something like Dark Souls to Bloodborne and not really doing too much to distance itself from Dark Souls. And I love Bloodborne, but to me it's basically just like another Dark Souls game with only minor mechanical tweaks overall with the same core design fundamentals. It's like the difference between two different games in an RPG series.

As for licensed games themselves, you can't deny that getting a super good game in an existing IP you already love is very enticing. If I ever got a dedicated Batman Beyond game, for example, that would be my dream come true.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Don't assume all new original IP is inherently good or better than pre-existing IP.

Also it isn't like we are drowning in a sea of mediocre Indiana Jones games. Or movie games in general these days.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I honestly think sequels are a bigger issue for AAA then licensed games are.

I've never liked the idea of Dev studios being tied to making specific ips for eternity. I get that franchises are successful and publishers want to take advantage of that as much as possible. But I'd much rather they show some trust with their Devs and give them freedom to make whatever they want whenever they feel it was time to move on. If that "whatever they want" happens to be a licensed IP or not doesn't really factor into it for me.

Like, I'd rather see insomniac make a Spider-Man game then be stuck making ratchet and clank games forever. Or see IO try their hand at James Bond then see another 7 hitman games back to back.

I WISH coalition were making a licensed movie game right now tbh. Or some of the COD Devs....or the guys behind AC...or 343...

Whatever breaks the franchise fatigue is good in my book...and what's great about licensed games these days compared to the PS2 generation is that they're not direct movie tie-ins most of the time. They're given the time and money they need to be great games.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Nope. If anything, I think it's awesome that non gaming IPs are getting the AAA treatment.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Meh, doesn't matter much to me.

IO should have been doing John Wick though, would have been incredible.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These days? Sega, Capcom, Atari, etc. often did this back in the day. I'm not a fan of it because licensing fucks up re-releases of games in the future.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I wish FROM would go back to making Gundam and other licensed Japanese mecha games again.

The Another Century's Episode titles on the PS2 and Gundam Unicorn on the PS3 are all fantastic.

Epitomage

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
As long as they aren't shovelware, which I think the industry has more or less moved beyond, what's the problem? I don't even enjoy a lot of the properties themselves, but Star Wars Squadrons was incredibly fun IMO. Never been into comics or heroes but both Spidey games were fucking prime. If the action type games aren't your bag though, I could see why it's not as appealing. But given that most adaptations stem from movies now, and action is the name, it's not surprising. The license isn't what makes the game bad - it's the association of yesteryears cash ins that were primarily tied to licensed games that make it seem like there's a shit covered umbrella.

If they gonna make em, I'd rather devs of pedigree try than some nonames looking for an easy gig.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Can depend on the I.P and studio I guess, like there's definitely some studios I'd want doing their own thing, but think it's been mostly good matches (Insomniac with Spidey and IO Interactive with 007 is pretty much dream tier), even Avengers was a good match on paper, but they decided to make it a loot based MP game with a poorly marketed SP.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Machinegames is also working on Wolfenstein 3, no? I understand the intent of the OP but a new Indiana Jones game seems like a pretty huge departure from their usual stuff, and it's at least a bit more refreshing than yet another Wolfenstein spinoff.

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
I dislike comic book characters so yeah it's disappointing in that regard. They are very one dimensional and there is very little that is surprising or original in the adaptions of them since the lore is already established.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
While I don't care about AAA games, I do see some potential backlash of fans if a favourite studio decides to make an licensed IP. Some fans don't like or don't care about said licensed IP. The studio ends up working on it let's say, for 4 years. It ends up being successful and said studio decides to make a sequel to the licensed IP. In the process a few more years pass by...

Those are just my first thoughts while reading the first post of op. Some studios could turn to the "safer" option especially if it makes enough money, but I don't think we'll see any less original content in the future.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
not really

most of these are done by big AAA publishers and I don't care for the story in a lot of big AAA games

Oct 27, 2017
I dislike comic book characters so yeah it's disappointing in that regard. They are very one dimensional and there is very little that is surprising or original in the adaptions of them since the lore is already established.
r35gdg4prcz11.jpg

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I'll always prefer a new IP, or IPs that aren't so well known (like The Witcher before the games)

I'm tired of Marvel.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Not if said projects allow devs to fund passion projects in the future.

I'd rather they do new ip but I won't knock anyone for leveraging an existing fan base.

sku

Feb 11, 2018
Yeah, since I'm typically not interested in the IPs themselves, like Star Wars or any comic book character. That's their play to drag in more people who don't normally play games. As someone who mostly plays games, I'm more interested in IP that originated in gaming or something new entirely. Besides, the world is better with more IPs, not fewer.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Meh, doesn't matter much to me.

IO should have been doing John Wick though, would have been incredible.
Hmm, don't know about that. I feel that Bond with it's spy stuff really does suit them better. John Wick is so direct action and gun oriented (and pencil tbf), not sure how well they could pull off such fast paced action. Not saying there's no chance at all that they could do it well, but there's really no precedent for that in their prior work. Hitman games aren't exactly bullet ballet.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Not really. Getting to work on licensed games pays the bills for some of those developers as they are either waiting/working on their own IP's

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
When was the last significant Indiana Jones game?

I'd say it's a fresher license than Wolfenstein is. We had five Wolfenstein games last gen.

It's not like we're inundated with Indiana Jones media these days.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
In general, I don't care about movie franchises or, their video game adaptations. There are good licensed games though so I'm not willing to write them off on principle.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Licensed IP was usually trash I'm happy that devs are making an effort now.

Also, a lot of these devs have more than one team they can still put out original stuff.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Nope. I am absolutely delighted that it seems like publishers and companies are taking licensed games more seriously that when I was younger, when the vast majority of licensed games were utterly shit.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
As long as they're more Butcher Bay and Mad Max and KOTR, less [insert bad licensed game here], it's fantastic news

IOI doing Bond is one of the most perfect pairings of dev and IP ever

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Sometimes it feels like the licensed IP is just some old well-known but boring brand and does not really add anything more than familiar words to title. But if the end result is great anyway, I don't really care.

Nov 8, 2017
I'm excited for a bond game but very skeptical about Indiana Jones. Like there's a 0% chance that LucasFilm will let MachineGames have a pregnant naked woman power sliding across the floor covered in blood while dual wielding shotguns and blasting nazis into giblets.

data

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's fine. Crafting original stories might not be profitable sadly so using licensed IPs will allow some recognition to fans of the series / more potential customers likely to buy

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
The one misgiving I have is that the developer is ultimately beholden to the license holder and that could limit the developer's potential. But as long as the games are good, the games are good.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
We aren't exactly experiencing a shortage of original IP. Could even be that Machine Games had a specifically cool idea that they are excited about for Indy.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Did you know there was a licensed IP so popular it defined an entire genre on consoles