• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
For the most part, I never struggled much with school or work due to forgetfulness. I don't believe I have any severe memory loss issues... But, the older I get and the more conversations I have with other people reminiscing about HS or college, the most I become incredibly aware of how absolutely little I recall from those years. I'm in my 30s now.

Other than a small handful of teacher names and maybe another small handful of general "feelings" I had in certain classes/with certain teachers - I don't remember, like, ANY of my high school teachers. I think back in college, and I barely remember half my classes. I can't recall 90% of my professors. I don't think I can recall more than 1 or 2 professor names, even though I probably had 25 or so over the course of my four years.

I can't remember the vast majority of classmates. I could probably NAME less than 12 people I went to school with. Maybe. I was at a D1 school and had plenty of friends and carried a 30hr a week job.

People I hung out with in my dorm every.single.day in freshman year - classes, projects, our jobs, hanging out the weekend... I don't remember their names. Their voices. I barely remember what they look like outside of the idea of some pictures I think I had on social media a decade ago.

I can't remember shit that I learned. I do fine as an adult. I know basic math and history, and carry a good job - but if you asked me to randomly do ANYTHING from, say, Algebra 2, I'd have to re-learn from scratch. Worst part, I don't even know if I took an Algebra 2? I had a 4.4GPA (college credit in HS), and couldn't even begin to tell you what advanced math classes I took.

This all came bubbling up again right before COVID hit, when I had a chance to hang out with a really good friend - one of my best from HS - who I hadn't seen in person since his wedding about seven years earlier. I can remember some of the really fun stuff we did together - and we commiserated on a couple classes. But then he and his wife started telling stories about things I did, this girl I had a crush on, from their wedding, a supposedly hilarious joke I told at their wedding, a group of friends we used to hang out with - shit, just people in our classes - and I about broke down that night because, no shit, I couldn't remember ANY of it.

My wife that night thought "surely I'm just not thinking clearly or hard enough." I've gone back since on FB and looked up names and I vaguely remember some faces - and go "ohhhh yeah, I remember that person!" ... but I couldn't tell you what classes we had together or any time we ever had, say, a project together. And here's my old buddy telling me we had classes together and projects together and all these great times together.

I've TRIED doing some online research, and it says the most common reasons are trauma (none that I'm aware of), depression (maybe? I dunno), or drugs (nah, not me). Some claim sleep deprivation, which I was really low on sleep in my education years - but to this level?

I'm wondering if something is "wrong with me" or it's more common than those around me would make it seem - and if you struggle with this, any commentary or ways to improve?

Th3BranMan

Nov 8, 2017
I think this is normal. I just turned 28 and I can't tell you what I had for breakfast yesterday or what I did last weekend without taking a minute or two to really focus and try to recollect.

I should add that I do not partake in the consumption of alcohol or drugs of any kind (save the occasional ibuprofen, aspirin, or daily multivitamin).

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember most of my middle school teachers. High school and college are better - I can remember faces and classes but only the names of the teachers/professors who were memorable in some way, whether positive or negative.

Most of school is a daily monotonous grind so it's not surprising that it all blends together.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Same. I'd find it tough to name 10 classmates and 5 teachers. I am 39 but forgot all that stuff at least 10 years ago. To me it's not a "struggle" though, I don't care. I didn't enjoy school and am a drastically different person.

Maybe you're only concerned because you're buying into the idea that school is supposed to be a great time in your life, ppl reminiscing ect. That trope. This is probably more normal than people think.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Im 47, and honestly some days I feel like I was rebooted each morning with the faintest of details about my past loaded up. I can think hard and recall points, but details are just a weird blur. Someone will be like "remember we went there, saw these people, this happened?" and I have no recollection.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
High school for sure. I'm still best friends with a high school buddy, and often he'll tell me about things or people from then that I swear never existed. High school fucking sucked and I learned nothing of value, so it doesn't blow my mind I've blocked it out.

Lupo

Nov 7, 2017
Have you traveled around, done a lot since then? A lot of the people I talked to who can reminisce about high school vividly were the type that tried to hold onto that mindset into their thirties and beyond.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
My long term memory is wildly inconsistent. I can visualize some things from all the back when I was like 3 still. I can map out whole rooms I was in just once and stuff. I remember people's faces extremely well, but their names and so many day to day things are completely lost to me. Even from just a couple years back. Either I have an extremely strong and vivid recollection of something, regardless of whether it was profound or obscure and mundane, or I just don't recall it all unless someone or something else helps to jog my memory which can either result in fantastic recall or not remembering it a bit.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
interesting thread, just spent new years with my mom and she asked me about 'that time you went to times square to watch the ball drop with your best friend' and i drew a total blank, didn't remember any of it. was over 15 years ago and i had to sit there and concentrate and i barely remember flashes of just visiting him a few times while he went to school in nyc, but not that one specific moment. lol

ignata

Dec 26, 2017
Denver
I'm 39, my wife a year younger. She can remember things that happened when she was 3-4. I can't remember much beyond 5 years ago.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
I mean your brain has pretty much filed all that away as non essential information these days. Individual details are always going to be hard to recall from that long ago and what memories you do have are likely warped to some degree. Sure I can remember specific moments that stood out to me from those times but no, I couldn't tell you most day to day specifics.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I remember more teacher names from grade school (went to a 1-8 school) than high school or college. Weird. I'm 36. I think I was the most engaged academically in a grade school so maybe that makes sense.

Maybe OP you just don't have good long term memory. Probably doesn't mean there's a problem, that's just how you are.

Cruets

Nov 1, 2017
you're not alone OP, i remember high school better than college, but its all a faint memory now

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
At this point in your life, that information is mostly irrelevant - most other people can't remember all the fine details either. I wouldn't consider that to be a problem or a sign that your memory is bad.

I remember a fair amount of mine in broad strokes and quite a few significant events, but I couldn't tell you the name of every teacher I had (though I certainly could for the more influential ones) or even all of the individual classes I took. Frankly, none of that is particularly important in the grand scheme of things.

On the other hand, I've forgotten a lot about my time at college, mainly because it was periods of rushing through schoolwork and study to get back to playing Everquest or downloading stuff from Napster. I attended my CS department's graduation ceremony but remember absolutely nothing about it. Zero.

Oct 30, 2017
I'll be 40 this year, I can barely remember the names of people I went to school with, to be fair high school was an unbelievably shitty time for me and I haven't thought about those people in years.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
I can't remember anybody's names so that's normal for me, but I remember a lot of people and things that happened. Maybe crack open your yearbook to jog your memory.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
I absolutely cannot relate with people that remember going to a movie 3 years ago, when people talk about random ass conversations from highschool I might remember something but definitely not the content.

If not led by someone sparking a memory thread within me, I have only brief flashes of visual memory

I tend to remember how I felt more than really remembering something happening.

I can remember coding syntax for stuff I haven't used in a decade however

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao i can hardly remember anything from before 26...

Don't tell anyone but i couldn't tell you the name of my exes without at least a couple of minutes alone with the internet.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I'm very similar. Only a handful of memories of anything from before ~10 years ago, with the number dwindling the further back I go.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They say that as you age, you tend to remember moments of more significant change. To that end, some people remember a lot from HS, others remember very little.

I remember specific hangouts and such from HS, but the day-to-day fades. Which is fine; didn't do that much there.

Also, having friends from HS probably helps long term as you more regularly reminisce.

I remember more from 1 week summer camps during HS than about HS itself. Which is okay. HS itself was the most meh thing ever for me. Wasn't popular or bullied. I merely existed.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I smoked a lot of pot in college and somehow I remember that better than high school. Probably just because it's more recent than high school, I guess.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
For sure, I have trouble remembering much before college, and even college is starting to get a bit fuzzy.

To be honest, I don't even remember much of my family since I've been distancing myself for so long 🤷‍♀️

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember much. Some oddly specific things that seem random. That cute girl I had a crush on. Don't remember any names of students or teachers.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I think people just remember different things, and only in certain contexts.

One weirdly vivid memory I have from my second year of university is with this girl who was my next-door neighbour in the dorms in first year. I remember her being a generally cool person, hilariously snarky at times, not necessarily the happiest person, a little bit lonely because she didn't have a significant other. Well, second year, she found a boyfriend. We randomly ran into each other one day walking home from classes and got to catching up about our lives. She was talking about how she was dating some guy now and how that was pretty cool for her, but also that she kind of thought she'd be a lot happier now that she was in a relationship but that all the old problems you had are still there, you just also have a guy you're dating bolted onto the side. You know, classic early adulthood naivete that I totally also shared, because that one conversation had enough resonance for me as a teenager that I still remember it to this day as a life lesson (oh, you can be in a relationship and it DOESN'T solve all your problems, holy shit).

I'm 99.9% sure that if I ever met this woman again and brought up this conversation, she wouldn't remember it. Maybe she'd even be surprised she told me about it. For all I know, she might not even remember the guy she was dating anymore. It wouldn't surprise me if that one conversation just got lost in all the other shit she might've been dealing with in her life, like it does with everyone. I've had people come up to me talking about random stuff I've said to them in the distant past that was funny or insightful or whatever and I don't remember the specifics of what happened, and only assume it's true because it sounds like something I would've said.

Things that strike some people as memorable may not even be memorable to the other people involved. Just how it is, I think.

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
No. Not a lot happened in high school (which wasn't necessarily an issue) so I haven't really forgotten anything that was notable or essential. I'm in my early 30s. Then again, I've always had a good memory, and I tend to remember things most people I know don't.

Last edited:

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I'm an old man so I can commiserate. BUT I notice that my old friends also have memory deficits, so when they say I did something in the past it could very well be that they have it wrong. An old friend swore I went to various concerts with him, but I kept all my concert stubs so I know he's wrong.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Get fucking used to it. I'm 40 and my younger years are all a blur.

When I was young I was always wondered why older people couldn't remember what it was like when they were young, it's cause they literally can't. It's pretty damn humbling.

May 25, 2019
London
Your daily life in high school and college is relatively uniform minus big events and things that are meaningful to you. Some events are meaningful to others, which they will bring up when you reconnect and reminisce. If you see high school or college friends more regularly, you will reminisce more frequently and therefore remember more.

I remember less as time goes on, but there are some teachers and classes that still stick with me.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember every teacher I ever had from memory, but I still remember most of them.
I remember every school, and all the addresses, and all the routes to go there.
I remember all my school trips, and all the relevant details of all the places and dumb stuff I did.

I try to recall these things, and similar shit, from time to time so I can hold on to those memories and share them with my friends/family for as long as I can.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
I've come to accept that my memory is fucked. When I used to read fiction, I could finish a novel and not remember anyone besides maybe the main character's names, nor any description about them.

My wife will tell me about something we did, like going to a restaurant, and I will flat out have no memory of it. I don't have a ton of fond childhood memories, simply because I don't remember a lot of the details. Obviously I remember some things, but a lot is just "oh".

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
It was over half my life ago, I still remember things and people who have stayed a part of my life. However, if I see a name or face from my high school that I haven't seen since then, then yeah it takes a while to recall, if at all. Certainly major events or things that happened with friends, I can recall but it's not an exhaustive list.

It really depends on how your life has evolved since then IMO. I've moved internationally 4 times, have 2 or 3 friends from HS that I periodically stay in contact with but that part of my life is so heavily removed from who I am now.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Im 47, and honestly some days I feel like I was rebooted each morning with the faintest of details about my past loaded up. I can think hard and recall points, but details are just a weird blur. Someone will be like "remember we went there, saw these people, this happened?" and I have no recollection.

This is me lol

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I'm 30. It's weird, my memories of high school and middle school are still very vivid, but college is all a blur (and I didn't even drink until I left!).

I wonder if it's because I haven't talked to anyone from college in a long time, but my close friends are all either ones I grew up with or ones I met while living abroad.

The exception is names. I'm abysmal at remembering names.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I have virtually no long term memories (in my 40s).

Couple of snapshots here and there from high school / college / university but very little that's distinct aside from some of the more shocking stuff. My medium term memory is incredible though.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember more than a few names but I still remember their faces vividly and would probably be able to remember their first or nick name in the moment. I remember teachers' names even less but definitely still remember their faces and which subjects they taught.