• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
I have such a good memories playing it years ago. The music and the combat was really good and the coop is still something rarely seen in a Square RPG.

Is this game Remake worthy material?

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
I think that the game still holds up. It play, sounds and looks well. It doesn't need to be remade, imo.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Legend of Mana is a neat game with more subsystems than a sane person would recommend. But of course Kawazu was the producer, right?

What I would be interested in is not a remake but a spiritual sequel. Ideally with more interesting combat and dungeon layouts.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Most beautiful game ever, with the best ost. Would never forget Legend of Mana.

It's probably the game i want a remake the most. They could maintain the old quests and story arcs, while creating a lot more. Maybe making the ending quest a little more connected with the main stories?

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Would love a remake of Legend of Mana. Good game, if I remember correctly though it was mostly not all that well received. Could be thinking of something else though.

OP
OP
Cloud-Strife

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Would love a remake of Legend of Mana. Good game, if I remember correctly though it was mostly not all that well received. Could be thinking of something else though.

Maybe you are thinking about another game.. at least in gamefaqs the old reviews are 4.07/5 but idk if this is an accurate way to decide if the game was good or not.

Legend of Mana is a really good old school action rpg so I guess it was well recieved back then.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Maybe you are thinking about another game.. at least in gamefaqs the old reviews are 4.07/5 but idk if this is an accurate way to decide if the game was good or not.

Legend of Mana is a really good old school action rpg so I guess it was well recieved back then.

Nah he's right. It was more or less panned by critics and is rarely a Mana fan's favorite game.

I liked it for what it was, but I also wasn't crazy about it. The art style and soundtrack kinda buoy'd it.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Think that's the first time I see someone talking about this game. It's one of the most special games of my life. Finished it when I was 8-9 years old. Gotta play it again someday.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn

My recollection is that there was dissatisfaction among people expecting/hoping for a straightforward sequel to Secret of Mana. A little like with Chrono Trigger/Cross. Personally, I never cared much for Secret of Mana and loved Legend of Mana's more experimental format.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You could spend hundreds of hours just making swords. The soundtrack and the dreamlike aspect of it just makes it one of the all time greats in my heart.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I loved this game. I would be up for a remaster. I think the art style looks great and just needs a bit of cleaning up. I would buy it for 30-40 bucks thats for sure.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It's a game I didn't appreciate fully at release. As I've gotten older and come to really cotton to Kawazu's style of storytelling, it's really grown on me to the point where it's one of my favorite games. It's really fun to try different combinations of land layouts and just discover different story episodes.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
It got a lot of shit on release for not being SoM2. I didn't care for it much myself but am long overdue for a reappraisal.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
It's one of my prefered "bed time story video games". It's clunky at times but it's so cute and beautiful and it screams "fairy tales" so much that I can't feel bad about it. It's not the greatest game ever made, but it's a hell of a gem. AMAZING replay value. Also : amazing game to play with your SO.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Legend of Mana, not as much as Secret or Trials SNES, but it was a fantastic game.

My only wish is that one handed swords didn't get hosed on their ultimate skill lol.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
gorgeous art style and music, but never cared for it single player and the coop is garbage compared to secret of mana 2 and 3, so never really fully got into it. didnt really care for the segmented nature of it.

Pokiehl

Oct 29, 2017
Based on my avatar......I obviously love it. I do get why it wasn't well received - people wanted something that felt just like Seiken Densetsu 2 & 3. But to this day it remains one of my favorite games. The combat system was the only real weakness - everything else was stellar. Shimomura is at her best on the soundtrack and the art is superb. I love the way the story line was told, everything comes together very nicely and the smaller vignettes are great.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Loved it as a child. It's got a wonderful art style and OST, and the non-linear narrative structure was quite fun. I should do a replay sometime—think I repurchased it on Vita.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Legend of Mana (and the Mana series) is pretty famous. Why would you ask if anyone remembers "this old RPG" as if you were talking about an obscure Atari game?

Deleted member 32973

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
one of my favorite childhood games, really love this game and also hold a special place in my heart

I wish they could make something dreamy like this

OP
OP
Cloud-Strife

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Legend of Mana (and the Mana series) is pretty famous. Why would you ask if anyone remembers "this old RPG" as if you were talking about an obscure Atari game?
Is just that I've never seen it on a thread in this forum..but now I see that many people loved the game also and that's a good thing.

I know this game was not perfect but it's was so amazing to play it when I was just a kid that I always remember it from time to time.

Oct 28, 2017
I remember being very excited for this (and the whole Squaresoft "Summer of Adventure" along with Threads of Fate and Chrono Cross), but feeling burnt by it at the time. At 13 years old I was expecting something more guided/deliberate (or even character focused) like Secret had been. I also bought it thinking it would be fun to play with a friend, but was frustrated with how the multiplayer worked as well.

In retrospect, I've always meant to go back to it (currently sitting on my Vita). The open endedness would be my jam now, and as everyone has rightly pointed out, its gorgeous.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I remember buying it as a teen (because I bought EVERYTHING Square back then) and this looked beautiful, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out what the fuck I was supposed to be doing in it. After a few hours of listlessly wondering around the same areas, I dropped it.

Its very rare when it happens, but this was a game I just could crack for some reason.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite Mana game. There is just so much stuff in it and it has so much imagination. I just wish it was harder the first go around. The game mechanics are kinda crazy but there is no reason for you to dig into them. What a pretty game.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
I bought this when it came out and for some reason thought that it was a remake of secret of mana (which we finally now have 20+ years later). Was pretty disappointed when I realized that it wasn't. It was fun though.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Honestly a great game that had the misfortune of being one of many amazing games Squaresoft was putting out at the time.
From my perspective it kind of got lost in the avalanche of greatness, but it certainly deserves its time in the sun.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Game had a "meh" reception back in the day, we had a bit of an embarrassment of riches when it came to PS1 RPGs and as gorgeous as the art was, 2D art wasnt a selling point back then

If co-op had been a core part of the experience and the world building aspect wasnt so awkward to figure out (to the point that it impacted the story very heavily) it would have done a lot better

also, this is my mid/late 30s speaking but hearing anybody say "remember this old game" when referring to LoM is fucking weeeird

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely hated it. I gave up maybe 6 hours in. Maybe I was just too invested in it being a sequel to Secret of Mana, and annoyed by the lack of 3p support (how my friends and I originally played Mana). but I just couldn't get in to it. I remember load times being pretty obnoxious too, but that wasn't uncommon for ps1 games.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I ever managed to figure out the crafting system in this game.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I owned it, I played it, but honestly what I mainly remember is JParish/Toastyfrog covering it on his website due to A) being one of the biggest Mana fans in the US and B) the JP version came with a Chrono Cross demo which he probably would have traded his left testicle for, at least in those heady days.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I remember it being so beautiful looking but not super fun to play, I remember wanting to play it but every time I did I didn't enjoy it. Just wasn't what I wanted (which like many others, was the next SoM).

I also feel like Iron Man hearing "Hey have you heard of this old as game called Legend of Mana."

Doesn't feel that old (even though it is I guess, doesn't feel it lol). :P

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
I loved it to pieces back when it came out. I haven't revisited since maybe a year after it released though. After digging through FAQs and forging till my eyeballs fell out, It was kind of a let down at how it seemed like if you weren't using great swords, you were doing it wrong.

Duba Dubababa Ba Da! Dub?

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Went through the whole game in co-op and loved the heck out of it. It's also one of Yoko Shimomura's finest works. Pain the Universe, The Darkness Nova, Earth Painting... so good.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
I've never even heard of this game. I didn't have a PS1 and generally consider those games hideous, but wow, that is one gorgeous game.

32-bit 2D is truly timeless. Sega were really onto something with their powerhouse 2D machine, they and everyone else just didn't know it!

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I liked it a lot, but not as much as Secret of Mana.

It holds up well, and I enjoy it now more than I did at 13 when it released. I remember pre-ordering it from Funcoland and getting the sound sampler.

Oct 31, 2017
It's not that old but yeah, it might be remade after Trials. It was never released in Europe as well...

I think Secret of Mana 4 should be remade and reimagined first though :P

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
It is a game I wanted to like back then, but a mix of complex mechanics, unusual storytelling, lack of clear direction, and poor co-op kind of hurt it, especially since I just wanted a Mana game that was a new Secret of Mana. Of course, it didn't help that it was competing against the rest of the insane PS1 RPG library, so I'd always end up preferring to play things like FFT, SaGa Frontier, Suikoden, Xenogears, Breath of Fire 3, and so on.

I even picked the game back up earlier this year, thanks to the Mana Collection reigniting my love for the series. Honestly, it is still a bit hard to get into, but still kind of fun. I might need to get back to that playthrough and see if I can get a bit further. But honestly I might prefer to do another run through Trials of Mana.

Yatahaze

Jun 17, 2018
Loved this game back in the day, really unique. Would play the hell out of a remake or spiritual successor.