• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which do you prefer?

• Quantum Break

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • Control

Votes: 52 63.4%

• Total voters

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've heard many people credit Control on here but having just finished it I can't say I see where much of the praise comes from. I expected it to be an evolution of Quantum Break but in the end I found myself thinking it was actually many steps backwards.

Quantum Break's story was far better, more interesting, had better secondary characters and actually felt like a story being told. I'll admit I wasn't a fan of the last level and the TV episodes sucked but as an overall story it wasn't bad at all and ended in a manner I was fairly happy with. Meanwhile, Control's starts off interesting then eventually follows a boring pattern of more bullshit occurring in different sectors dragging out the story yet not adding much to it. Don't get me started on the end of Control either, comes out of nowhere and is very unsatisfying.

Gameplay wise I was disappointed with Control as well. Even though I expected far more powers at Jesse's disposal, the worst part is given the game only has one default difficulty, you don't even have to use most of them to progress. Throughout my playthrough of the story and almost all the side missions, I rarely ever used the levitating skill and shield in combat, simply because I had no need to, just throwing stuff around and shooting was good enough. With Quantum Break on the hardest difficulty you were forced to use all the powers at your disposal, which was great because of much cooler and varied they were. You could have so much going on at the same time in Quantum Break with all the powers, not so much in Control.

Last point is that Control's environments were so much better with a better mix of places. I know all of Control takes place in a building and they did a good job of making it fairly diverse, but lacking outdoor environments, daylight and what not is something I can't say I enjoyed very much.

Anyone else feel the same here? Not to say Control isn't good or that Quantum Break is great but I was definitely disappointed.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Opposite. Control felt like Quantum Break done proper.

Though I do agree with you that I wish Control offered more difficulty options, the core gameplay and shooting was far superior. QB felt...messy and imprecise.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Yup, me. Got a soft spot for quantum - but agree the last level was horrible. Had to watch it on YouTube as I just couldn't beat the boss

Oct 27, 2017
I sure did. Control is missing something. It feels cheap and boring compared to previous Remedy games. Sam Lake didn't really work on Control, right?

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Yup, me. Got a soft spot for quantum - but agree the last level was horrible. Had to watch it on YouTube as I just couldn't beat the boss

Me either. Loved the game. But couldn't beat that final level and eventually gave up and watched it on YT. Soured my view of a game that I hugely enjoyed right until that point.

Haven't played Control, all the vids I watched made it look like QB, but in a form I'd like less than the original.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I vastly prefer QB.

Control was actually quite a big disappointment for me. I did not enjoy navigating the world much at all. And surprisngly, the story didn't grab me, despite the awesome presentation and super cool lore. QB's characters and narrative had me invested way more.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Quantum Break had so much potential for it's story concept to be played out, but the actual storytelling was bad and the way the gameplay "evolved" was pretty terrible.

Also, the checkpoints got so ridiculous that I died after being introduced to a highly armored "new enemy" via cutscene and it loaded me to a point 25 minutes prior.

This is when I uninstalled the game:

So, I haven't even played Control yet but can already see that I'll enjoy it far more based on streams, previews, and reviews. Which is sad, because as I said it had so much potential :(

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
As much as I enjoyed Control, the encounter design near the end left me feeling a bit sour on it.

I loved Quantum Break the when way through, though I realize I am in the minority.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
QB is better in terms of main story but Control is so, so much better for gameplay. QB plays like a generic cover shooter for the most part. Level design in QB is also not that great when you get locked out of previous sections if you go through the wrong door.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
I played through QB three times. Loved it dearly. Haven't bothered with Control yet. I feel no motivation to even try it. Maybe when it's in the bargain bin.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
There is such thing as poor taste and opinion and you op has one. It's just a fact lol. Control is MUCH better games in every possible way.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
No accounting for taste, but I am genuinely baffled to see several people say they think QB is better than Control. QB certainly had a lot of potential, but in the end the whole tv tine-in turned into a cheap gimmick that felt like it was holding the game back, and the combat in Control feels a lot smoother and more nuanced than in QB to me.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
QB did nothing for me while CONTROL gripped me from the beginning. I just love the environment in CONTROL.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Control feels so much better to play than Quantum Break so absolutely not. Ofc Remedy had less room for cinematics but that was by design, the exploration focus in Control was a really good decision. Plus that art direction is just WOW. Like Quantum Break is gorgeous, one of the most gorgeous titles released this gen, but Control's environments are so much more inspired.

darthkarki

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
I definitely agree with regards to characters and story. I think that was actually really well done in Quantum Break. I do like Jesse and the overall mysterious creepy vibe in Control, but beyond that there wasn't much there.

Everything else though I think was much better in Control. Specifically the gameplay: movement and animations, shooting, and abilities are all just so much more fun. I think the Oldest House is really engrossing in a claustrophobic way, and graphically it's just spectacular.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Complaints about the story, especially with this comparison, always strike me as a distaste for mystery or 'vague' story telling. The actual narrative and cutscenes seem on par with the same creativity of past Remedy games but obviously less overt (MUCH less overt than a full TV show).

Of the gameplay, this is Remedy's best work since Max Payne 2, though they introduce levitation much too late.

Oct 25, 2017
I do. I really like both games, and the tv portion of quantum break is very meh but generally I felt like while Control was a cool game, it isn't a great metroidvania (imo) and where Remedy's strengths lie suit a more linear focused experience. I just prefer the chapter to chapter nature of QB for what they do.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
All i ever did in Control combat wise was "shoot, shoot, shoot -> while shoot reloads throw, throw, throw - while throw reloads shoot shoot shoot..etc etc" rinse and repeat and that worked for the entire game without much problem. Literally the only time i even looked at the other abilities was when i was farming the trophies for them. It was pretty boring and repetitive. QB had much more variety imo. Loved everything else about Control though, it's by no means a bad game or anything.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
All i ever did in Control combat wise was "shoot, shoot, shoot -> while shoot reloads throw, throw, throw - while throw reloads shoot shoot shoot..etc etc" rinse and repeat and that worked for the entire game without much problem. Literally the only time i even looked at the other abilities was when i was farming the trophies for them. It was pretty boring and repetitive. QB had much more variety imo. Loved everything else about Control though, it's by no means a bad game or anything.

Though I do agree Control spends a lot of time with you 'shooting' and 'throwing' with not much else to consider, I wouldn't argue QB had much more variety.

Yes, you have a few more time powers, but most of those are negated entirely with progress as enemies are introduced that are completely immune to most of them. Thus, all I ever did in QB was "shoot, shoot, shoot -> dash into enemies to knock them back for easy kills -> shoot, shoot, shoot while dash reloads...etc" Oh and occasionally bubble heal. yea...

On similar repetitive merits comparing the games, the shooting and movement felt FAR superior in Control. Too many guns in QB were spray nozzles and imprecise and I always felt it made taking down the spongey enemies feel unsatisfying. Control was nothing but precise even if a bit simple. Impact was greater felt.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I am incredibly surprised people liked QB this much as I never heard much good about it. Makes me feel a bit better about checking it out at some point, I guess?

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Quantum Break had a bigger budget obviously.

both of them are about same though, very mediocre and forgettable games. Very disappointed in Remedy's shooty attempts, they just feel so floaty and bad. In perspective, it was a good thing they didn't make Max Payne 3, because that game is far superior to whatever Remedy has made in the last 10 years.

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
I want my sequel to answer that cliffhanger. One of my favorite time travel stories if not my favorite. #SaveBeth

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
Quantum Break is a game made by a studio losing their identity, either through choices of their own or in combination with Microsoft's decisions at the time, resulting in a pretty muddled and kind of bland experience that feels like another victim of the post-Uncharted 2 era of 3rd person action-adventure games.

CONTROL feels like a game made by the team who made Max Payne 1, 2, and Alan Wake. It's better in nearly every way, with the only place Quantum Break still showing some worth is in presentation, particularly cutscenes. But even that comparison is leaving out context because CONTROL is a deliberate move away from the (expensive) cutscene heavy, mo-capped method of storytelling into something much more interesting, abstracted, and engaging. On the combat side it isn't even close- CONTROL is their most fluid, flexible, and dynamic combat system, both mechanically and visually. Overall it's a much better paced, more distinct, more focused vision, and pulls Remedy from the ledge of Hollywood fluff, back into the dark where they excel.

imo

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018
QB was a huge misfire for me. It had the Remedy tenets, but it felt like they toned them down to try to appeal to a broader audience. Most of the actual world building bits and cool story developments were hidden in several page collectibles that you had to read through, which was lame. The gameplay felt, off, which was a shame. It was definitely an interesting, failed experiment.

Control on the other hand might end up being my favorite game from Remedy, it's pure unadalterated weirdness and everything I expect from them. The universe is cool, the story is better presented, and it's just more enjoyable to play. The collectibles are much more concisely written too, so I'm not stuck reading through 4 pages before getting to something interesting like QB.

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I appreciate about Quantum Break that isn't really in Control at all is

the tragedy of Beth's story

but that doesn't make Quantum Break better, just different. Otherwise I think Control is a better package overall.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
QB was so boring I quit after 50 minutes.

Control is probably my GOTY. The lore is amazing, the characters are great, the story is awesome. Yes, you have to read the documents you find - oh, the horror!

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Quantum Break is a game made by a studio losing their identity, either through choices of their own or in combination with Microsoft's decisions at the time, resulting in a pretty muddled and kind of bland experience that feels like another victim of the post-Uncharted 2 era of 3rd person action-adventure games.

CONTROL feels like a game made by the team who made Max Payne 1, 2, and Alan Wake. It's better in nearly every way, the only place Quantum Break still showing some worth is in presentation, particularly cutscenes. But even that comparison is leaving out context because a CONTROL is a deliberate move away from the (expensive) cutscene heavy, mo-capped method of storytelling into something much more interesting, abstracted, and engaging. On the combat side it isn't even close- CONTROL is their most fluid, flexible, and dynamic combat system, both mechanically and visually. Overall it's a much better paced, more distinct, more focused vision, and pulls Remedy from the ledge of Hollywood fluff, back into the dark where they excel.

imo

Not just your opinion, the developers themselves have stated in interviews that QB was a greatly streamlined and mainstream project. Control is their return to form in both ideals and execution. Even better, it's their most experimental game in terms of level design, making for some exciting change.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I liked Quantum Break a lot more than Control yeah.

I liked the combat more in Quantum Break, although it was pretty good in Control too. I thought the story was a lot more interesting to me personally, too.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I could follow the story in QB.
I still dont know half of the crap that happened in Control.

However, Chapter 9 in Control is def top tier.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
QB was great and I am still a big fan, however it is not something I would go back to due to the baggage of the TV episodes / intermissions.

Control's story was just as good, if not better, without that stuff. The live action sections in it were much better integrated and the gameplay & setting are a step up.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
I don't really know which one I like better to be quite honest. Control was ok, QB was more memorable I think