• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just listened to this interview (https://youtu.be/UP6B2SVQ-qk) with Dandridge herself, and she's pretty gracious considering this is in the same ballpark as Kojima ghosting David Hayter after 17 years.

The part about her already having done voice work and Valve using her voice for the reveal trailer is especially shitty.

And the excuse is hilariously bullshit. She's theatre trained actor and a singer, if they wanted her to sound younger all they had to do was ask (also she doesn't sound old).

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Not recasting is not the same as firing.

Wait until the game is out to figure out if it's a good or bad thing.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Recasting happens all the time. We don't know why or what happened. Let's wait until the game is released.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I found the reasoning pretty shit. It's not really a matter of whether the new person is good or not.

I'm not pissed about it or anything. Just thought the reasoning was crap.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The new voice actor also doesn't sound particularly young to me, so yeah, the reasoning is weird.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
David Hayter recasting is way worse because of the sheer number of hours of dialogue he recorded across the franchise until 5.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Not quite the same situation as Hayter.

Unfortunate, but let's withhold judgement until the game is out and people can accurately judge the product

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
from what I've heard, I definitely prefer the old Alyx voice

i'm less "pissed" than disappointed, though

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Hayter has years and multiple closely released together game entries. Alyx had a supporting role in Half-Life 2 and if you want to count them, 2 expansion . And the gap between this one and the last one was massive, so I'm not really sure how it's comparable.

Like if LaCroix is in VTMB 2 and isn't voiced by Milder? I'd be disappointed but nowhere near comparable to the Snake situation. (Which in itself still isn't that big of a deal imo)

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's some weird stuff. She voices a character in DOTA2 called Tresdin. When Artifact was released, Valve for some reason used another VA for Tresdin there. Then in Underlords, they used her again for new lines.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
How is this even remotely like what Kojima did with Hayter? Is the actress playing the new Alyx a well-known actress from four decades of movie and TV work, who in MGS' case actually had even LESS lines than any previous versions of Snake, clearly making Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain a case of star-casting just for the sake of it? Look, it sucks that Merle isn't voicing Alyx in the new game, but the game isn't even out yet so who knows if it makes more sense in context (Alyx being younger in the story for one thing).

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I'm never a fan when companies treat voice actors as disposable in general.

Where did they treat her as disposable though? They explained that they loved working with her, and that it's an iconic role and performance, but that the Alyx in this game is younger. I'd understand it if they brought an A-lister in to replace her and didn't ever comment on it, but they legitimately explained their process on it, even down to saying Merle had provided lines originally as they were making the game and in the end they chose to go another route.

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
Man listening to that was hard. You can hear just how hurt she was by the decision. I think there's definitely some fuckery going on considering they took her out at the very last minute.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Voice actors are not entitled to roles. If someone else is a better fit they should be replaced.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
It seems she was left in the dark about the recasting and it truly feels like she cares for the character and is a sensitive person about her art and her work. The choice to recast Alyx does feel a bit odd, but it doesn't sound like it litigious.

PetThePuppy

Nov 2, 2018
Honestly, it's bullshit. She was so good as Alyx. I can still recognize her voice instantly because of that role. Hopefully she'll be cast as Marlene in the The Last of Us at HBO. During the Alyx trailer I could immediately tell that Eli's voice was different as well (apparently the actor died in 2017).

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The excuse is pretty shit but it's not like voice actors are entitled to certain roles or anything. It's the nature of the industry

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I remember some people being upset when TC Carson wasn't brought back for God of War and Christopher Judge ended up killing it and probably being a better fit for that specific game and role, so maybe reserve judgement.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Valve has every right to work, or not work, with whoever they want. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Mar 29, 2018
It's more complicated than "they fired her".

Could be the tone of the game was different and demanded a new actress.

Could be Merie was busy with other project (doesn't sound like it though?)

Could be the tests/auditions provided by this other woman were far superior.

It's not as simple as "old ways good, new ways bad!"

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Is it firing if she was never hired in the first place tho? (or even considered for the role)

Meech

Oct 29, 2017
I'm open to it. I like what I've heard so far. Merle will always have a special place in my heart though.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wait wtf. I didn't know they changed the voice. Hopefully it's not splinter cell blacklist levels of trash