• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
blog.playstation.com

UPDATE: Pre-order Horizon Forbidden West now: Collector’s and Digital Deluxe Editions detailed

All pre-order details for this awe-inspiring continuation of Aloy’s journey, coming February 18 2022.

The PS4 version at £59.99 includes:
The PS4 version
The PS5 version

The PS5 version at £69.99 includes:
The PS5 version

They just somehow forgot to ever update the store to tell you this and won't sell you the PS4/PS5 pack on the PS5.

Gotcha, thanks! I missed it was free. Thought it was the same deal as Death Stranding DC.

Can anyone confirm whther you can preload the upgraded version before launch, I'd prefer to jump straight in.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Are you mixing things up? I can't find something in the posts I quoted about losing access. Also the FAQ does not contain the info about the standard digital being getting a free upgrade and that is what I was talking about.

Sorry if any of this is confusing.

No, I'm not mixing things up.

Your original reply quoted this post:

www.resetera.com

Anyone else on PS5 gonna get Forbidden West on PS4 anyway?

What happened was the PS4 version was supposed to be $10 cheaper without a path to upgrade to the PS5 version. There was a ton of backlash because Sony originally said that there would be a free upgrade path to cross generation launch window titles. Sony responded to the backlash by allowing a...

which was in reply to my post which was this:

www.resetera.com

Wait, what? Seriously? Receipts?

and my reply was to this post which stated you would lose your PS4 version if you upgraded to the PS5:

www.resetera.com

If you buy physical PS4 disc, then maybe. If you buy the digital $60 PS4 version, then no. Upgrading the digital PS4 version to PS5 does NOT entitle you to both versions. You will lose the digital PS4 and only be entitled to the PS5 version. If you want to be entitled to both PS4 and PS5...

That was the chain of posts you were replying to.

Sony has also clearly stated someone who buys the PS4 version will get the PS5 version for free:

blog.playstation.com

UPDATE: Pre-order Horizon Forbidden West now: Collector’s and Digital Deluxe Editions detailed

All pre-order details for this awe-inspiring continuation of Aloy’s journey, coming February 18 2022.

There shouldn't be any ambiguity about the PS4 version being upgradeable at all as it's clearly stated there.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
No, I'm not mixing things up.

Your original reply quoted this post:

www.resetera.com

What happened was the PS4 version was supposed to be $10 cheaper without a path to upgrade to the PS5 version. There was a ton of backlash because Sony originally said that there would be a free upgrade path to cross generation launch window titles. Sony responded to the backlash by allowing a...

which was in reply to my post which was this:

www.resetera.com

Wait, what? Seriously? Receipts?

and my reply was to this post which stated you would lose your PS4 version if you upgraded to the PS5:

www.resetera.com

If you buy physical PS4 disc, then maybe. If you buy the digital $60 PS4 version, then no. Upgrading the digital PS4 version to PS5 does NOT entitle you to both versions. You will lose the digital PS4 and only be entitled to the PS5 version. If you want to be entitled to both PS4 and PS5...

That was the chain of posts you were replying to.

Sony has also clearly stated someone who buys the PS4 version will get the PS5 version for free:

blog.playstation.com

There shouldn't be any ambiguity about the PS4 version being upgradeable at all as it's clearly stated there.
Then I misunderstood, I apologize. I never intended to talk about losing access to the PS4 version once upgrading.

Thank you for clarifying.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I wasn't actually really considering this until just now. How would this affect game sharing? You can't get the updates on games the system is borrowing can you?

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I have a PS5 and I have the PS4 version pre-ordered. I wouldn't have bought the PS5 version.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Hard to believe Sony is making things this confusing and expensive when their competition has smart delivery and game pass. Smart delivery especially has me a bit jealous...

This is one specific case where they backtracked from a previous decision which created . Otherwise it's pretty clear, you have a $60 PS4 game, a $70 PS5 game and a $10 PS4 to PS5 upgrade.

Smart delivery wouldn't work because Sony wants to charge $10 extra for the PS5 version. Whether you're ok with this or not is a different subject, but this is their business model, just like MS has theirs (which relies on Game Pass alongside traditional sales).

Plum

May 31, 2018
So is there any real reason to buy the 'PS5 Standard Version' of the game digitally? Like, can you only pre-load just the PS4 version and, therefore, have to download the PS5 version on release day? Or is it literally just there to swindle those who don't realise it's cheaper online/on mobile out of £10?

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Can I confirm if the physical version on PS4 will also upgrade to PS5 for free? I'd prefer to buy the PS4 disc over digital.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I pre-ordered the PS4 disc version, because I plan on using the free upgrade for PS5. Downside is I'll not be able to preload the game onto my PS5.
I can't get behind this OP. I sold my PS4 when I got my PS5 and there is no looking back.
I second this. I've played through Horizon ZD on my PS4 Pro years ago and a few months ago finished platinum on my PS5. The difference in sound (Whisper quiet PS5 vs jet engine PS4 Pro) and loading was night and day. I don't ever want to go back.

Last edited:

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
PS4 disk version from Amazon $78AUD
PS4 standard digital edition $109.95 AUD
PS5 (&PS4) standard digital edition $124.94AUD

Going PS4 disk version.