• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
Can't really base your life on statistics. If you were, you'd be afraid to even leave your house every day - and then start reading about home incident rates.

Just live your life and hope for the best. Doesn't mean you have to put yourself in danger, but also don't stress too much over everything :)

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I fly about 4-6 times a year now since 2012...I used to have to drink pre-flight just to get through it...but now it's a pretty standard commute. The worst part is just me being 6'6" and the seats being so uncomfortable.

When I was still quite nervous about flying, I'd try to focus on the flight attendants. The fact that they fly for a living, so they must experience a wide variety of flying conditions...so if they're calm, I'm calm

Oct 27, 2017
Statistics be damned. Here's what is going through my mind:

1. There are more cars on the road than airplanes in the sky. In my mind, this means cars are incredibly safe seeing as how there are so many at any given time and for the fact that it doesn't require a fucking professional aviator to drive it. Cars must be easier and safer to drive if any idiot can get a license. With planes, there are only a fraction active at any given time relative to cars. AND they don't have to worry about bumper to bumper/head on collisions. The fact that they crash at all just due to random engine failures makes me sweat.

2. Not all car accidents are fatal even tho there are more crashes in cars than planes. But almost all planes crashes are fatal.

Vex is never gonna step foot on a plane. And you're not gonna make me. I will drive where ever I have to go. Going over seas? No problem. I'll just drive in the water. I'd rather drive my car in the water than take a plane. That's how scary airplanes are. At least I'm in control of the car in the water rather than some random guy in the front of a plane.

Who's with me?
It's not some random guy. They trained a very long time to do a good job. You going to do your own surgeries too because you're a little pansy when it comes to trusting others?

Nov 7, 2017
I learned through this thread that no matter how much hard evidence you present to some people they're still going to not believe you and keep being idiots

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Weird to think that cars are safer because "any idiot can get a license" whereas planes are more dangerous because the pilot is professionally trained and tested to be able to do so. Surely that means that there's a much bigger risk of some idiot hitting you in a car than someone not being able to fly the plane you're taking? And then to say "there's fewer planes and they don't have to worry about collisions" is a negative compared to cars is also a weird angle to take. That makes them safer! Cars can catch on fire for weird reasons unrelated to collisions and ALSO have the risk of someone crashing into you.

When you drive there's a much larger number of other people driving around you who could cause an accident. They could be drunk, distracted, just bad at driving, malicious - the risk is so much greater. With a plane you have two pilots in the cockpit who are trained to deal with any situation that could come up and an essentially zero chance that another plane is going to fly dangerously around them. If you drove everywhere instead of flying you'd significantly increase your chance of being killed in an accident.

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I learned through this thread that no matter how much hard evidence you present to some people they're still going to not believe you and keep being idiots
I do what I wanna. If I wanna drive my car across a large body of water like the GTA cheat code from vice city, then I will. You're either with me or against me!!!!

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I have loved flying ever since I was a kid.
The long flights can be tiring and economy seats suck, but I still like flying in a general sense.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Airplanes have more potential parts that can fail but car manufacturers are just pure evil.

Ban cars now please.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Airplanes have more potential parts that can fail but car manufacturers are just pure evil.

Ban cars now please.

Very good post, well done.

But onto sensible topics, OP you're much safer flying than driving. Don't restrict yourself due to irrational fears.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Going over seas? No problem. I'll just drive in the water. I'd rather drive my car in the water than take a plane. That's how scary airplanes are. At least I'm in control of the car in the water rather than some random guy in the front of a plane.
That is a nice way to think of it. Thanks. still driving over the water though.
I do what I wanna. If I wanna drive my car across a large body of water like the GTA cheat code from vice city, then I will. You're either with me or against me!!!!

The fact that you've mentioned driving into the sea three times now suggests you're either trolling, have a death wish or you have no idea what you're talking about. Having control over your car in the water? What?

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Cars are way scarier.
They hand out licenses like candy, drunk idiots and kids are driving what could be considered dangerous weapons. At least pilots have to jump through a lot of hoops.

Anyway I understand your fear, OP, but I hope this doesn't prevent you from travelling and experiencing the world.
Even if you have to take a boat, please go travel!

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
cars are usually driven by morons, planes by people who have studied years just to do that.

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
What's your opinion on boats?
Hmmm... Good question.

I've been on a few yachts, but never too far away from land (still at the docks). So I don't know if that really counts. Never been on a traditional boat before though. I feel like I would be scared as hell in the open water. The deep sea terrifies me. ;_;

Oct 26, 2017
A hundred years ago travelling around the world was usually a one-way trip and took months. Now nearly anyone in the rich countries can hop on a plane and reach the other side of Earth in less than a day, for a fraction of a month's pay. We are incredibly privileged. You're missing out.

Also, the entire line of reasoning is the type of alternative facts crap that ultimately leads to so much idiocy.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm... Good question.

I've been on a few yachts, but never too far away from land (still at the docks). So I don't know if that really counts. Never been on a traditional boat before though. I feel like I would be scared as hell in the open water. The deep sea terrifies me. ;_;

So would a cruise ship be out of the question

Oct 25, 2017
As long as I don't see the water (example: stand near the railings) and stay looking up and not at the sea, I should be fine.

So basically no.

So is it more of a fear of crashing in a place where you're likely to die (air/sea) or just the aspect of not having control? Like would a train be okay?

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
So is it more of a fear of crashing in a place where you're likely to die (air/sea) or just the aspect of not having control? Like would a train be okay?
See? A train would be fine for me. No fear whatsoever. Strange.

So I'm guessing you're right. It is just at sea/air. Not necessarily lack of control (I'm ok with someone else driving a car).

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Statistics be damned. Here's what is going through my mind:

1. There are more cars on the road than airplanes in the sky. In my mind, this means cars are incredibly safe seeing as how there are so many at any given time and for the fact that it doesn't require a fucking professional aviator to drive it. Cars must be easier and safer to drive if any idiot can get a license. With planes, there are only a fraction active at any given time relative to cars. AND they don't have to worry about bumper to bumper/head on collisions. The fact that they crash at all just due to random engine failures makes me sweat.

2. Not all car accidents are fatal even tho there are more crashes in cars than planes. But almost all planes crashes are fatal.

Vex is never gonna step foot on a plane. And you're not gonna make me. I will drive where ever I have to go. Going over seas? No problem. I'll just drive in the water. I'd rather drive my car in the water than take a plane. That's how scary airplanes are. At least I'm in control of the car in the water rather than some random guy in the front of a plane.

Who's with me?

Heard a statistic about last year on the radio. I think it was millions of flights, billions of passengers, not a single fatality in 2018?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think about these things. No probs getting on a plane unless it looks dodgy

Will never get on a helicoptor though, because they look unsafe to begin with lol

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
Well lets do it from my experience traveling from NYC to LA over the course of a week. Would you rather do it driving from shitty hotel after another or just five hours? Air travel is here to stay.

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
thats so dumb. Might as well never get out of your house again too

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
OP, as someone who is scared of heights and dreaded the thought of ever getting on a plane I can sympathise. However once I made that decision to get on a plane there's no turning back. I love traveling overseas, you're missing out on incredible life experiences.

I'm in Australia too so the flight times to get anywhere are huge. My first trip to Thailand I gripped the arm rests so tight and didn't leave my chair or look out window. I'm now at about 20 flights under my belt and I now enjoy the experience somewhat.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I don't like flying really (or driving long distances either to be fair) but if you think how many flights there are every single day, then every week, every year etc. it is safe, we only hear of the accidents and not the millions of successful flights. There are far more bad drivers than there are bad pilots, if every car was loaded with the same amount of fuel as a jumbo yet you'd soon rather fly than trust the drivers on the roads.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
I will say that the decade we are currently living in has been shitty for aviation but it is incredibly sound and the best way to travel.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Safest, fastest and sometimes cheapest way of travelling.
Also, flying through the clouds is one of the most unique experiences you could have.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Planes are way safer than just about any other way you could be transported, the probability of error is extremely small because of really high safety standards.

When air travel however goes bad, it goes really bad and the cases of 300+ people dying in an instant are true horror stories.

hipsterbodega

Oct 30, 2017
I have flown, but I hate it. I mostly from the eastern United States to Tokyo, which is a super long flight for someone who hates flying. Im actually flying to Tokyo in a couple weeks, just after flying to Nashville last month for work. I feel like I need to space out my flights more than that. The anxiety is still too fresh.

Honestly though, it's not a big deal. Last time I went to Japan, I landed in a typhoon that was the equivalent of a category 1 hurricane. It was harrowing. But I survived! So turbulence is probably fine, even if it scares the heck out of me.

Oct 27, 2017
I get you OP, I hate flying - mostly stems from my first flight there being an actual mechanic issue with the engine, so much so the crew were looking at it through the windows and worrying it was about to fail.

But if you want to know what it's actually like to experience a plane crash, this video sums it up:

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Hmmm... Good question.

You don't want to fly and never been on the open sea? If someone would put you on an island with an airport and ferries, you would still be stuck forever?

Like many said, flying is so cheap atm that you can see a lot of the world without being specially wealthy. Don't lose that chance because of fear.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I will never get over flying, I know It's relatively safe but it always makes me uncomfortable.

Krakle

Oct 27, 2017
I understand where you are coming from OP. I hate flying and all sorts of things go through my mind prior to the flight but the few hours I'm on a plane is worth it to visit the places I have and the memories I have.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I would guess the majority of people born won't ever fly on an airplane so don't feel bad OP.

Oct 25, 2017
IMO the only rational irrational phobia is spiders. Everything else just sounds silly to me, especially this plane one. Just jump on a plane and shut up, trust me.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine how people trust driving.

Like, in a plane, you have a pair of highly trained experts, an incredibly advanced computer system, and support from air control on demand.

In a car, you have an ocean of average people, half of which are texting or eating or fiddling with the radio, in charge of giant hunks of metal hurdling along at twenty times the speed of man.

Like, shit, man. I don't even trust the general population to tie their own shoes.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Been on so many planes.

I don't ever like it inside but I usually take solace in the fact that there's so many planes in the sky at this second, yet there are so few accidents, it's insane. Especially compared to driving a car.