• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
Let's face it, the V looks like a beast. It's big, the design is loud (visually), it looks like something guys in Miami would be snorting cocaine off of in the late 80's.
Between the footprint, price and available launch content, is anyone else much more interested to see what the inevitable streamlining will look like 1-2 years from now?

Last edited:

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not getting a PS5 at launch, so I would be interested in its next revision or a slim model for sure.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Nah. I'm more excited for the one that's out in a month lol.

And I like the design because fun is allowed in my house.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate the look of both the console and the controller. But I've rationalized it to myself that I'll trade-in when the slim is released, and I'll probably have bought a new controller with a different color scheme by then.

Oct 28, 2017
Getting a PS5 fat but will definitely trade in for the slim when it's available. Even the current design would look much better if it was just smaller.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna wait 2-3 years to play games like Demon's Souls Remake, Ratchet, and God of War. But I will definitely get a PS5 Pro if one comes out

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020
If a slim version happens sometime in the future, I'll probably just end up trading the OG.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 is the first console I wouldn't buy solely due to how it looks. I can maybe see a black one, but I'll most likely wait for a slim model.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Unless my entertainment set-up starts shrinking, I couldn't possibly care less about the size. It's certainly not something worth denying myself for years over.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I'm excited for any potential redesign that looks nowhere near as horrific as the current iteration. I genuinely don't want to buy one because I hate how it looks, it's design is that unappealing to me.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
I'll trade up the OG for a black slim, but I no longer care about how it looks. It doesn't look great to me, but as long as it functions right, I'm good.

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH
I'm well passed the "I need every hardware revision" point in my life but I've definitely thought about what a PS5 slim might look like more than I did with the PS4 leading up to the its launch.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
With Spider-Man and horizon being cross gen it makes the wait for the slim a bit easier.

Who am I kidding I'm just waiting for a digital to be in stock.

falconhoof17

Jul 12, 2019
I certainly am, I was originally planning to get a PS5 on or close to launch but that machine is disgusting and I don't want one in my livingroom. I'm getting an XSS for now, I'll get a PS5 eventually for the exclusives but the only way I'd consider the original machine is if neither the slim nor pro PS5 have an option with a disc drive.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It honestly looks like some weird artisan stuff I would find at a furniture store.

I'm very interested to see how a Pro and Slim model will look.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I'm very reluctantly getting a launch PS5 to play the PS4 games I meant to get around to, I hate the Size & Shape and the eyesore White color. The moment there's a Black/Blue version or a Slim/Pro model I'll look to swap mine for it. Hopefully there'll be a viable alternative before the end of 2021

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yup... I'd way rather jump into the PS5 half way through the generation when the console isn't a big ugly monster and a lot of the exclusive games I want to play are 75% off.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
That's my target. Gamepass to start and maybe a ps5 slim if the library is good enough to justify $90 + tax purchases (Canada) down the line

Norgishchef

Apr 30, 2018
I wish it was bigger. More surface area means friends can do lines with you at the same time. In fact just make it a table with a glass top.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
I'm buying the PS5 at launch and already looking forward to a PS5 Pro in 3-4 years.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
If the PS4 is any indication people are gonna be disappointed when they find out a slim or a pro aren't gonna abe dramatically different

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Will get the slim day 1 and happily get rid of the current monstrosity, but there's no way I'm passing on the current one and waiting for the slim.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Am I more excited in a hypothetical revision that doesn't exist than the console that does exist and releases in a month? Nope.

almutama

Oct 27, 2017
I would be, but it likely won't release without a pro offering, so I probably wouldn't buy it over the eventual pro model. I hope it fares better than the uneven stack design of the PS4 slim. That thing does not look good at all.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
Will need to wait for AMD to port Zen2/RDNA2 to 5nm for this to happen?

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
PS5 is the first console I wouldn't buy solely due to how it looks. I can maybe see a black one, but I'll most likely wait for a slim model.
Worth remembering that custom side panels will be fabricated fairly soon after launch.

I'd expect black side panels readily available before March next year

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm skeptical about how "slim" either the Series X or PS5 is going to get, given the heat generated and the size of the cooling/fans/heat sinks, etc.

Let's go with PS5 "less fat" and Series X "somewhat less bulky."

Plus I think the revisions are more likely to be upgrades in power vs. downsizes in form factor. It's been said many times in many ways, but it bears repeating yet again. This generation will likely NOT be following the earlier generational patterns.

The Pro/One X model seems much more the route, ala iPhone 11 to iPhone 12. "Xbox Series X (2023- latest model)" listing on Amazon is more likely than Series X slim, imo. Especially Xbox as the Series S will get bumped up too. The whole point of them being "Series" is that there will be revisions coming. But as you up the power, can you downsize the form factor? Maybe slightly?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope I will get a ps5 pro if they bring that out but the PS5 looks awesome, I really don't get the people that are saying it looks terrible. it's one of the nicest console designs in a long time.

Doc Cottle

Jan 28, 2020
Node shrinks not currently looking financially viable based on current trends.
1-2 years? You spent too much time in Miami snorting that coke I reckon.

André

Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Thanks to Sony's announcement of increased game prices, I revised my plans and now I'll go 2-3 years without a PS5. I'll focus on clearing up my gigantic PS4 backlog until then. Hopefully by then a PS5 Slim or Pro is available, and I'll also be able to get most of PS5's games at discounted prices. Seems like a clear win strategy (in my particular case).

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
This gen, I was fine with keeping my OG PS4 for the whole generation, I need to see this gen PS5 Slim, but if it's a big difference I may be tempted to get it and trade my OG PS5.

Deleted member 50232

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
No as it won't be out for like three years.

This thing sits under my TV, i don't really care how big it is tbh.