• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Obviously, MS's approach is much more divergent. Sony's machines are rather similar outside of the disc drive. However, if the digital only model ends up being 100 bucks less, that will be very compelling, especially for those that get both consoles.

I was thinking about about getting a Series X, but the Series S price looks pretty tempting. That's a mega nice price for powerful launch hardware. Combining that with a possibly digital only PS4 at 100 buck less and it's very compelling.

Plus, you could always upgrade from Series S to Series X later on. So basically the Pro model is already available basically.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
I worry about the move toward digital only when games are $60 (or $70) each and I really think the main reason for these cheaper models is to push you to buy more digitally. I would much rather there just be one digital-only model with game prices much lower when there is no need for manufacturing, shipping, and retail fees of discs.

As is, I'm stuck buying the more expensive models if I want to save money on game purchases. Even if I end up paying an extra $100 for the console, I'll more than make up for that in the long run. Plus data caps make going 100% digital useless for vast amounts of people at least in the US.

That being said, I'm going XSS and gamepass, and just won't buy many if any games.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I didn't think I would but I am loving it since I plan on getting a Series S + GamePass (never got an Xbox this gen). It's too damn good a deal to pass up and it's not too expensive so I'll take a gamble on launch hardware.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Love it, one of the more affordable generation. Series S is like gamecube tier price accounting for inflation

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Options are always nice, but I will always opt for the most powerful version of hardware and the one that accepts physical media, so for me the Series S and PS5:D are useless but it's still again nice to have options for those that want those things.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I'd love to own the Series S, but I'm not quite ready to give up my right to own physical media just yet.

I'll probably pick up a Xbox One S once they drop in price.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Yes. More options and prices are always better.

Compatibility with current controllers and games also makes a better case for switching without a huge initial investment.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
I'd love to own the Series S, but I'm not quite ready to give up my right to own physical media just yet.

I'll probably pick up a Xbox One S once they drop in price.

What if they have a system to exchange the disc for a digital license? You could bring it to a console with the disc drive, log-in with your account, and get it digital.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Having to target a 4TF GPU with 7.5GB ram as a baseline for the next 7-8 years is not going to be fun for developers though.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Given the choice, I would prefer every SKU to have a base performance level.

Hard drive size? Disc drive or no disc drive? That's the only sorts of differences I want to see in a console SKU.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
MPk19xS.jpg

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I think the idea of the S is pretty cool, assuming it's basically a Series X locked at lower resolutions. If it's not going to be obsolete in a few years it's a really clever way to provide an experience good enough for most at a significantly cheaper price. I'm less excited by the PS5 SKUs, unless the PS5 DE is 399

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I completely forgot about this lol. Series S is very different though. Completely different hardware than the premium.
Yeah the Core could be upgraded into a Premium 360 (wireless controller, component cable, hard drive) in ways the Series S can't (different chassis, less GPU power and RAM).

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
the xss is compelling to me just because of game pass. If it was a digital console without game pass i would have no interest in it. I like physical games still since I can resell them. Game pass is a game changer though so I'm all about that xss.

The ps5de doesn't have a game pass equivalent so it's not appealing to me at all. I don't want to pay$70 for games that I can't resell

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I never thought I'd be into getting the lower powered model but I'm now very tempted with the Series S price and features. I wasn't expecting it to target 1440 either and I sure as shit can't tell the difference most of the time between that and 4k on my set unless I'm in a photo mode so as of now that's what I'm going with over the XSX and maybe day one on a PS5 depending on launch lineup.

Just waiting for pre-orders and especially the trade in programs to go up for places like Best Buy. I can easily do without my Pro and X for a couple months. The challenge of course will be securing a PS5 at launch.