• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
So Persona 5 Royal decided to flesh out the character of Goro Akechi and he even returned in the third semester. During this time, you can play him using his Black Mask and he even serves as the navigator and I have to say

4e7.png

'
How he is depicted is so enjoyable, he's an ax crazy psycho edgelord who relishes in pain and suffering and it works because how much he embraces it and his voice actor Robbie Daymond is clearly having the time of his life. I can't get enough of how he's depicted honestly, it's that entertaining

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Not having played P5R (or P5 or any Persona game), I am slightly let down because I assumed my man Goro had a cameo...
goro-mortal-kombat-animated-gif-31.gif

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
An edgy literal sociopath serving as the moral compass of third semester is one of the reasons why Royal is kind of inferior to vanilla.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. I hate the character and would rather he never showed up again.

He is trash and belongs in the trash.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i hated him in Persona 5. he just annoyed the heck out of me.

in Persona 5 Royal? i loved him and reworking his entire plot was a fantastic choice. i really wish we got to spend more time with him and Sumire in the 3rd semester. that joker, violet, and crow trio was brilliant.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Funny, just talking to a friend about this today! Yea, it made him the best party member in the game, easy.

An edgy literal sociopath serving as the moral compass of third semester is one of the reasons why Royal is kind of inferior to vanilla.
Imagine thinking Royal isn't better than Vanilla. 🤡

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I liked being able to have him in the party being his true self even though he knew he was actually dead, but overall his inclusion in the new "semester" just feels like half-baked fanservice. Unless you ship him hard with Joker, Maruki using his existence as leverage to convince Joker to accept his reality falls incredibly flat.
in Persona 5 Royal? i loved him and reworking his entire plot was a fantastic choice. i really wish we got to spend more time with him and Sumire in the 3rd semester. that joker, violet, and crow trio was brilliant.
I always had Crow and Violet in my party. Their showtimes with Joker are the best.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
To me, that's what made it work. By having the objectively most morally repugnant character refuse the life of sedated fantasy on moral grounds, it puts in stark perspective how wrong and insidious having everything you want without any free will is.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
i hated him in Persona 5. he just annoyed the heck out of me.

I liked being able to have him in the party being his true self even though he knew he was actually dead, but overall his inclusion in the new "semester" just feels like half-baked fanservice. Unless you ship him hard with Joker, Maruki using his existence as leverage to convince Joker to accept his reality falls incredibly flat.

I always had Crow and Violet in my party. Their showtimes with Joker are the best.
Yes indeed, I love how over the top he is, like DIO

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maruki using his existence as leverage to convince Joker to accept his reality falls incredibly flat.
This, this is the reason I despised Royal. Well that and the disgusting shit they did with sexualizing rape victims.

Their excuse for no voice acting is "he is meant to represent the player!!!"

Well in this case I would rather he dies and never show up again.

What is it Atlus, am I meant to feel like joker or not?!?

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
Yeah, the 3rd semester content in general really felt like a proper ending to me, and Akechi during this time is quite good!

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
To me, that's what made it work. By having the objectively most morally repugnant character refuse the life of sedated fantasy on moral grounds, it puts in stark perspective how wrong and insidious having everything you want without any free will is.
I get that is the point at it works to a degree but more time needed to be spent in Maruki's reality. It's rather bad that Haru just instantly accepts working alongside her father's killer. Then again, it's not like the narrative gives a shit about her past her arc.
This, this is the reason I despised Royal. Well that and the disgusting shit they did with sexualizing rape victims.

Their excuse for no voice acting is "he is meant to represent the player!!!"

Well in this case I would rather he dies and never show up again.

What is it Atlus, am I meant to feel like joker or not?!?
I've only played Royal and it was worth to me because of Sumire. That aside, Atlus really needs to stop having their cake and eating it to with their protagonists, being characters but also player surgates (that are assumed to be men) doesn't work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I get that is the point at it works to a degree but more time needed to be spent in Maruki's reality. It's rather bad that Haru just instantly accepts working alongside her father's killer. Then again, it's not like the narrative gives a shit about her past her arc.

I've only played Royal and it was worth to me because of Sumire. That aside, Atlus really needs to stop having their cake and eating it to with their protagonists, being characters but also player surgates (that are assumed to be men) doesn't work.
I mean, according to the developers, Haru and Futaba are distant from him in gatherings to show that they haven't forgiven him for his actions, so baby steps

Mattakuevan

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disliked his character in the original, thought he was severely undercooked. He worked quite well in Royal, to the point where Id say he was enjoyable to have on screen. He added an element of discomfort within the group that helped set the tone for the rest of the arc.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is weird because it is clear that Joker has his own personality. He talks way more than the other Persona protagonist (talking about the games starting from 3) and heck, the anime from the clips I have seen talks and has a personality.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The portion of the new dungeon where he's the navi is absolutely incredible. Robbie Daymond did a 10/10 job on his VA.

sandyph

Oct 31, 2017
I use Japanese VO and even without knowing what he's saying, you can still feel the psycho tone :D

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
DragonSJG I have to thank you for giving me multiple chances to stan Akechi recently.

Best character in P5, where he was treated pretty badly considering what the true plot said about him, and certainly the best part of P5R. He even has the best little moments in PQ2. Absolute P5 GOAT

Plus his voice actor killed it. Daymond destroyed it

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to make this exact same topic so you must be psychic OP. I posted in another thread that I felt Akechi was underdeveloped in the vanilla game but the third semester arc just elevated him to pure badassness. He was really entertaining in battle as well with his voice actor doing an outstanding job with the battle quotes.

It was also really cool how royal depicted him as someone who was willing to stand by his ideals even if it meant costing him his very existence. Just brilliant.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
DragonSJG I have to thank you for giving me multiple chances to stan Akechi recently.

Best character in P5, where he was treated pretty badly considering what the true plot said about him, and certainly the best part of P5R. He even has the best little moments in PQ2. Absolute P5 GOAT
Same here, he's my new man crush

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Hated this characters function in the original game, so giving him even more attention for laughs just makes the overly serious plot even more dubious.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
they redeemed Akechi in Royal, he was fine in vanilla but Royal fleshed him out for the better

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah akechi was great in semester 3 . Semester 3 overall was amazing and imo better than anything in the core game. The new music too is just sublime.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Something I've seen in this thread is the idea that Akechi was flandarized in P5R when that really isn't the case. Of course, Akechi is completely raging against Maruki vision for reality because that's the kind of person he's been presented as in his final encounter with the Phantom Thieves when he's showing his true self. It really gives the whole "you would be a great asset to our team if only you were on our side" trope they tried to pull with him one the base game but it came off as weak because they did nothing with Akechi in the base game beyond that. It shows that he is truly a Phantom Theif in his ideology without redeeming him or forgetting how insane the guy is.

Really hoping they don't ruin him in future games.

Deleted member 42641

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 25, 2018
The only sane person that whole 3rd semester, the only redeemable part about the extra content is how great of a character they make him

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Yeah, he was fantastic. Didn't like him that much in the original, but Royal made him one of my favorite characters.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Royal Akechi > Your fave.

I love that he's not really properly redeemed, he's still a psychopathic piece of shit but he's an ally of circumstance. They should have given you the option to select him as your navigator permanently in the third semester.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia

He's not dead.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Does the Ultimate Edition come with ALL DLCs, or just a few? I'm so close to buying it while it's still on sale.

Oct 3, 2019

What moral grounds? He just doesn't like being told what to do, same as the rest of the cast. There was never a moral argument made.